Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

You don't want to take unwavering unless you're on SC. Use a Valyrium on HC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cinara posted:

You use Valyrium, not Eye of Chayula. Losing a ring slot is way better than your amulet slot for HoWA. A lot of builds tend to take Unwavering anyways, but Etup didn't for his character this league so you do have options.
I dislike using Valyrium for longer than it is absolutely necessary.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
just get skyforth's and your stun problem is solved

seriously though why is it still so expensive this league

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dyzzy posted:

Yeah don't try fighting from outside, if anything it's worse because you can't see the stuff that's going to hit you. Not sure if that's intentional design but you're definitely meant to be staying inside.

For real, never set foot outside of a breach unless you're just planning on booking it as far away from it as you can. Anything else is asking to be turbofucked by a bunch of invisible and untargetable breach rares and/or a breachlord.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

What's a good set of skills to use while leveling a HoWA dude?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

alternatively get heart of oak + 80% stun avoidance boots.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Firos posted:

Spectral throw is fine for leveling if you're alright with some slower boss clears. Throw Ancestral Warchief in a 4 link when you get to level 28.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Firos posted:

I was using a Tabula with Spectral + Faster + Lesser/Greater Multiple Projects + Weapon Elemental + Added Lightning Damage + Elemental Focus. That took me to act 4 merciless. Then grind to 68 in Lake and respec to CI

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Are weapons just chucking the biggest elemental damage weapon you can find then?

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Firos posted:

Are weapons just chucking the biggest elemental damage weapon you can find then?

The HOTM are roughly 3c and you should be using those till lvl 68.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Fixit posted:

The HOTM are roughly 3c and you should be using those till lvl 68.

Good point!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah as soon as you can put on the baby howas you use them with spectral throw (or whatever skill you will be using) all the way until you can upgrade them

you can also get vaal pact and ghost reaver really early and level as hybrid. it works pretty well

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cinara posted:

You use Valyrium, not Eye of Chayula. Losing a ring slot is way better than your amulet slot for HoWA. A lot of builds tend to take Unwavering anyways, but Etup didn't for his character this league so you do have options.

How viable is running boots with "80% chance to not be stunned if you've killed recently" as a Valyrium / Eye of Chalupa replacement?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How viable is running boots with "80% chance to not be stunned if you've killed recently" as a Valyrium / Eye of Chalupa replacement?

Real good, Get Heart of Oak if you don't want to risk the 20% chance.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that seems like a fine option for mapping but maybe less good for serious boss killing?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, for mapping that's fine but for bosses it's a bad idea.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there a life vs mob hit vs chance to be stunned calculator? If I have 7k life but am flicker strike so a stun would be bad news, how likely am I to get stunned from a big hit?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The probability is (2 * Damage / Max Life), with =<.2 getting ignored. So any hit =<10% of life won't stun, any hit >=50% of life will always stun. Chance to ignore stun gets rolled after this.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Had a good day last night. Found an 84 crystal belt and hubris circlet, a belly, an insanity essence, and a new pair of boots.

Bought this for 5c, sold the crystal belt for and ex then got a nice roll on the % energy shield roll. Probably a waste of an exalt, but meh.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Yeah I was gonna say, that ring doesn't really seem to justify an exalt for the craft.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

interrodactyl posted:

Why wouldn't it be? Nothing changed with how it drops or is chanced.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Magus42 posted:

Why wouldn't it be? Nothing changed with how it drops or is chanced.

It's more expensive this league than usual (was around 40 exalts when they're usually 30-35), and exalts were worth double what they normally are.

Except apparently exalts are crashing right now so who knows what it'll stabilize at.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ultima66 posted:

Except apparently exalts are crashing right now so who knows what it'll stabilize at.

I knew I gave away all my exalts at the right time

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

It's more expensive this league than usual (was around 40 exalts when they're usually 30-35), and exalts were worth double what they normally are.

exalts are only 'worth double' relative to other currencies. people aren't budging on the exalt pricing on their big ticket items.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

panda clue posted:

exalts are only 'worth double' relative to other currencies. people aren't budging on the exalt pricing on their big ticket items.

skyforth's is still ~5-8ex more expensive than previous leagues

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I haven't played much since tossing out my exalts for a Shavs so I'm almost sad I only had one Ex to liquidate before the bubble apparently popped. Got out at 115c so that could have made a pretty penny if I had more.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I didn't have much floating currency after finishing the gearing on my current character but last night I sold an item for 3 exalts while the price was high and didn't sell them for chaos immediately.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

interrodactyl posted:

skyforth's is still ~5-8ex more expensive than previous leagues

The league skyforth was introduced it got to 50ex. They fluctuate, nothing special is going on.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so when most people follow that whispering ice guide i assume they usually go with the witch but has anyone tried the templar version? i have already leveled 2 witches this league and it says templar is better at boss killing which is what i mainly want to do with it

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I did Templar this league, but I also did the cast when channeling version which is a little weaker than the self cast version. Ele reflect irritated the gently caress out of me after being able to completely ignore it as Witch. Otherwise it's pretty cool, was fun to hear the lines he has and I realized I'd never even killed Dominus Normal with a Templar before. Just make sure you stock up on Sulphur flasks and use them liberally when you get Sanctify and especially Pious Path. Elemental Status effect immunity is wonderful.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thanks. currently my plan is to use scorching ray/cwc for general mapping and swap out for self cast for serious bosses but i will see how they both feel

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm doing a Totems build, and my guide suggests Tukohama for the taunts then Ramako for the endurance charges, but my totems seem to do pretty well at holding aggro right now (act 2 merciless) without it, and it'd be nice to get tons of endurance charges for just doing what I'm doing. Thoughts?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What guide suggests endurance charges for totems? Leech and Taunt are both more important, imo.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

whydirt posted:

What guide suggests endurance charges for totems? Leech and Taunt are both more important, imo.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1594553

You think Hinekora would be better than Ramako?

How does Leech work with Totems?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In my experience with Warchief Totems you do so much damage that taunt is irrelevant, the only things in the game that you won't blow up in a couple of seconds are end-game bosses (uber atziri, guardians and shaper) that will chew through your totems as fast as you can place them and against those bosses it's more effective to have attacks targeting you so that your totems don't die and can continue DPS.

Totem leech with Trolltimber is good (totems leech to you), but without that they leech to themselves and it's irrelevant for the same reasons as above; within 1-2 seconds of placing a totem either the target is dead or your totems are dead. Totems leeching to themselves is only helpful for countering reflect, but totems do fine against reflect even without it (because they tend to kill entire groups with a single attack)

edit: I just realized that build is Searing Bond so I have no idea how relevant my advice is, but I'd be wary of following that build since it's 2 patches old and the guy who wrote it capped out at a theoretical 100k total dps with a 6l (he uses a 4l...?) when Warchiefs can pretty easily hit 300-500k per totem these days.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 5, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that build is weird as hell

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think the "design your own item for $1000" thing is on hiatus right now, yeah? But I've been kicking around an idea for a jewel, but I'm not the best at theory crafting. Anyone want to tell me if this would be useless, op, or viable at all?

Something something jewel
Your maximum 'A' charges is equal to your maximum 'B' charges
Maximum 'B' charges is reduced by 1

Where A can roll power, frenzy, or endurance, and B will roll one the choices A didn't.

Reasoning behind it is hell, I'm invested in frenzy charges but I'd love to have more than 3 endurance charges. But the opportunity cost of investing into more than 4 or so charges of two different types gets pretty high. The lowered maximum is so that there is some drawback. Right now I have 7 frenzy charges, that jewel (with the right roll) would let me have 6 frenzy and 6 endurance. Seems maybe too strong for just the cost of two passive points, but Red Dream had a similar opportunity cost and is plenty strong as well.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Designing uniques has been re-priced to $2,000 and it's something you have to email support about, they have such a big backlog of backer uniques to create that they removed the option from their storefront.

Awesome! posted:

that build is weird as hell

It actually seems really cool in theory, like the mechanics behind it of using shockwave totems to pull and lock enemies into your searing bond is original and neat, but yeah weird is a good way to describe it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

I think the "design your own item for $1000" thing is on hiatus right now, yeah? But I've been kicking around an idea for a jewel, but I'm not the best at theory crafting. Anyone want to tell me if this would be useless, op, or viable at all?

Something something jewel
Your maximum 'A' charges is equal to your maximum 'B' charges
Maximum 'B' charges is reduced by 1

Where A can roll power, frenzy, or endurance, and B will roll one the choices A didn't.

Reasoning behind it is hell, I'm invested in frenzy charges but I'd love to have more than 3 endurance charges. But the opportunity cost of investing into more than 4 or so charges of two different types gets pretty high. The lowered maximum is so that there is some drawback. Right now I have 7 frenzy charges, that jewel (with the right roll) would let me have 6 frenzy and 6 endurance. Seems maybe too strong for just the cost of two passive points, but Red Dream had a similar opportunity cost and is plenty strong as well.

I think it's just price raised or something.

from their Q&A

quote:

A lot of players would wish to create their own unique items or divination cards but can't fork out 1k because they have financial reasons or they are just too young. Do you plan to do competitions for example "a fan art competition" and let winners create and put a pair of them into poe without paying the hefty fee of 1k?

--

I think that's a good idea for the future. Unique items cost $2.5k now rather than $1k, btw.

Kild fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
It's 2500 according to the new dev questions thread

• Locked thread