Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

Phalanx Out! is not a reasonable line because:

A) They were not forming a Phalanx.
B) They were not in any kind of formation.
C) They were in a gunfight.

It'd be like if Ezikiel went in screaming "Testudo formation!!!" It means jack poo poo unless they've got shields and are, you know, actually doing Testudo.

ED: I only mention it because an ACTUAL Phalanx or Testudo would wreck the poo poo out of zombies and it's dumb nobody's picked up a history book to do it. They would also be absolutely 100% worthless against guns.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Except if he screamed "Testudo" then ran into the middle of a field firing a handgun, that's not Testudo. That's my problem with it. They just used a term that had no baring on anything going on.

Now if she said "FLANK out," that would have made sense. Maybe the writers, and by extension Maggie, are so dumb they think Phalanx is Flanking. While I have no idea when or how Maggie picked it up (it'd be good to establish) it would be cool to have the spear-wielding Hilltop people form ACTUAL Phalanx against zombies.

ED: It just hit me what's going on. I remember someone posted a panel ages ago where Hilltop screams something about Phalanx, so they were probably trying to copy that. Unfortunately also in that actual comic panel, they were trying to form an actual Phalanx (badly) and not charge forward firing full auto.

i think maybe you should try really hard to extend that suspension of disbelief you have for a universe where zombies exist to cover that a random assortment of people might not come together and use perfectly correct military terminology that makes sense to you.

The waitress from starbucks and a gym teacher could probably be forgiven for not knowing the specifics of their roman and japanese military tactical terminology and syntax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lycus posted:

Again, wasn't there an episode about Alexandria having a secret underground entrance, or is that a false memory?

I think that was Hilltop. People were trying to get out of the town to not get discovered/kill themselves attempting to assassinate Negan.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have a theory that Simon was supposed to die in that battle as the big change, except AMC saw the fact that people like Ogg's character way more than Negan, whom they so clearly want to turn into merchandise sales.

AMC has zero concept of what viewers want, or are willfully ignoring such wants.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

JossiRossi posted:

I think that was Hilltop. People were trying to get out of the town to not get discovered/kill themselves attempting to assassinate Negan.

Alright, I looked it up. There was an episode about Alexandria having an underground entrance in early S6, they just never used it after introducing it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I posted about that on the last page

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

All this talk about Sasha masturbating has me ready to whip my phalanx out.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah I posted about that on the last page

That tunnel sewer is the zombie camo of Alexandria.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have a theory that Simon was supposed to die in that battle as the big change, except AMC saw the fact that people like Ogg's character way more than Negan, whom they so clearly want to turn into merchandise sales.

They could've had him be captured, then he could be constant comedy relief in the jail, then redeem himself and join the group like every fan-favorite wise-cracking antagonist on TV.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lycus posted:

Alright, I looked it up. There was an episode about Alexandria having an underground entrance in early S6, they just never used it after introducing it.

Oooohhh yeah, wasn't that the one Maggie shot a bullet at the ceiling and caused it to collapse in?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Stickarts posted:

All this talk about Sasha masturbating has me ready to whip my phalanx out.

I am going to use this line and not give you credit.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Nah that was the train tunnel where Deus ex glennima saved her

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Remember when we were wondering who set the alarm off at the prison?

Good times

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cjg posted:

Wasn't that just a codename?

I'm pretty sure some writer thought they were being super clever and making Maggie look like a military genius, so I doubt it.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Shitposting about TWD is unironically one of the reasons I am still watching TWD. The memories... the amazing disappearing Lori, rats and alarms, totally-not-cannibals melt downs, murder beards, vanflip cop headshots, rape apologists, not to mention the constant quasi-autistic obsession over meaningless minutiae. We've all been through so much together. We're family now... I just want you to know... I'd go to bat for all of you.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The one that gets me is growing tomatoes in tires. I'm sure petrochemicals don't have negative impacts when introduced to the food supply.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And Maggie clearly didn't know what she was doing while transplanting that blueberry bush. She wasn't making any progress at all, I have to imagine the roots had already gone SIGNIFICANTLY deeper than she was digging, and even if she magically got it out of the ground without destroying the root system, what was she going to carry it in? Not very forward thinking at all.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And don't even get me started on Rick's gun tree. Who thought that was going to work?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Stickarts posted:

And Maggie clearly didn't know what she was doing while transplanting that blueberry bush. She wasn't making any progress at all, I have to imagine the roots had already gone SIGNIFICANTLY deeper than she was digging, and even if she magically got it out of the ground without destroying the root system, what was she going to carry it in? Not very forward thinking at all.

In the time it was taking her to uproot and transplant it, it could have been harvested once a year. Especially since they were counting each square foot of area within the walls.

What was the point of moving it again?

Oh yeah
~plot~

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/8Rlt9iJ.gifv

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

PHALANX
OUT!

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Stickarts posted:

Shitposting about TWD is unironically one of the reasons I am still watching TWD.

Same. It's the main reason I'm not just DVR'ing every episode and just binging it at the end of each season. And because of stuff like

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stickarts posted:

Shitposting about TWD is unironically one of the reasons I am still watching TWD. The memories... the amazing disappearing Lori, rats and alarms, totally-not-cannibals melt downs, murder beards, vanflip cop headshots, rape apologists, not to mention the constant quasi-autistic obsession over meaningless minutiae. We've all been through so much together. We're family now... I just want you to know... I'd go to bat for all of you.

It's us

We're the walking dead

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I used to like-watch the show, and hate-read the thread.

Oh, how far I've fallen.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's us

We're the walking dead

HE SAID THE THING YAY

Or is it ~*~The Posting Dead?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Acacia REI posted:

And because of stuff like

Yeah I'm gonna stick around mostly for moist turtleneck

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/hRBOWXn.gifv

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I can relate to everyone's reaction and this is my new favorite GIF

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The way that syncs up is absolutely hilarious

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Hey remember that really long image sequence parody of the "Sing Me A Song" episode someone made a while back? The one with the protractors on Negan? Did any more of those ever get made?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

That's absolutely amazing.

Also, didn't Eugene start reading a history book when trapped in a garage during like the Wolves attack or something. So, you know he knows his poo poo on this.

Oh and, lame request, have Rick give the signal to Rosita, who hits the button, and then cut to the Zombie explosion from Terminus.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Moist makes me want to be a better man poster. I wish there had been a chance for another scientific experiment this season.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Comfortador posted:

Okay so I'm not crazy, I was asking my girlfriend "Is she masturbating?!" then when they revealed the coffin thing I was like.....uh....

Thought the same thing.

"Ah, so this is her O-face. Must be some good music."

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Moist Turtleneck, you are a delight as always!

Aside from all the other things to pick on about this show, I was wondering, who the Hell is the medic now for Alexandria/Hilltop/Kingdom crew? I know the Saviors have the doctor they took hostage from Hilltop but Rick's crew ???

Oh... oh no...

Season Eight episode 3: With casualties mounting and the wounded in desperate need of medical attention, Daryl and Rosita undertake a dangerous trip back to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta to recruit Dr. Edwards.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

LadyPictureShow posted:

Season Eight episode 3: With casualties mounting and the wounded in desperate need of medical attention, Daryl and Rosita undertake a dangerous trip back to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta to recruit Dr. Edwards.

I'd rather see the hospital group again than Trashkru.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
So this thread moves fast.

Why I like the show - I'm a die hard existentialist and this show does an excellent job at portraying the futility of life and why you have to keep moving forward regardless. I also like the elements of PTSD portrayed in the show. But most of all, I love the characters.

In the finale my only gripe was Negan being seemingly out in the open during the fight. My veteran friends say a gunfight is sheer loving chaos in close quarters, so who knows.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm never reading this thread again, holy poo poo.

Whoever said this is the biggest loving goon ever.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You are a god among goons

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is so much better than the actual episode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Stickarts posted:

We've all made the worst kinds of posts just to try to be funny. But we can come back. We're not too far gone.

Except for Moist Turtleneck, their gifs are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Definitely thought she was masturbating. It was super awkward.