Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/849379835885518848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
For the record, I'm 4 hours in with the dub...but I just finished downloading the JP audio track from the store and was gonna watch through the opening chase scene. And like...every text box-audio thing is a different "chill-out" song from the soundtrack.

:psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

It's great that weebs and amateur translators get their yearly game of "Pay attention, I can speak the japanese and cherry pick the poo poo out of a localization!"
I mean, this is definitely a translation worth griping about. Not unplayable or anything, but there are issues. It's stiff, there's a good number of unforced errors, and there are a few (like, 5-6, max, in the entire game) lines that actually are total word salad. Those are all valid criticisms that people can and should make. I just wish they could do that without descending into total exaggerations or outright insults.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pollyanna posted:

Noooooo holy poo poo the new lines are even worse.

Seriously, those lines are making me cringe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Seriously, those lines are making me cringe
As I recall, you were trying to protect persona 5 from some translating guy, but he photoshopped in bad lines and blocked you, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

I mean, this is definitely a translation worth griping about. Not unplayable or anything, but there are issues. It's stiff, there's a good number of unforced errors, and there are a few (like, 5-6, max, in the entire game) lines that actually are total word salad. Those are all valid criticisms that people can and should make. I just wish they could do that without descending into total exaggerations or outright insults.

I'm sure the translation has issues just like every other translation, but specifically these types of people always come out the woodwork in the same manner of "No, I'M better. Check out MY 10 minute translation guys."

I'm even more annoyed than usual because I have played through most of the game. If something stood out as undeniable garbage like Zestiria or an Atelier game, I would've posted it by now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

As I recall, you were trying to protect persona 5 from some translating guy, but he photoshopped in bad lines and blocked you, right?

I don't recall this happening I've never gotten into a big scrap with anyone over this game sans like the one dude I yelled and apologized to because I was being irrational.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For real though here's my hot take on that first line:

"Oh, your parents are friends with one of my frequent customers." ta-da. hire me atlus.

not even bothering with the second one because the existing TL is honestly fine. it's a little stiff but it'd make sense that he'd be a little stiff if he was recounting a series of events with legal consequences, he'd want to make sure everything was clear. that's kind of the issue with a lot of these TL hot takes, they don't really take into account context and tone, they just see a line that isn't textbook or uses english in a mildly off-kilter way. You see the same thing on the opposite end of the spectrum, with people bitching when comedy anime have subs that localize the puns or use conversational english for the sake of comedy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

It's great that weebs and amateur translators get their yearly game of "Pay attention, I can speak the japanese and cherry pick the poo poo out of a localization!"

Maybe I've just managed to carve out a better twitter niche than most people, but a lot of the people I'm seeing critique p5's loc are at least freelancers that also talk up translations they like

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Motto posted:

Maybe I've just managed to carve out a better twitter niche than most people, but a lot of the people I'm seeing critique p5's loc are at least freelancers that also talk up translations they like

That doesn't contradict anything Tae said

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Alright I dont get the text messaging. My buddies can call me to hang out but I can't call them? or do you have to like, unlock that or something

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think that one translator is actually completely misunderstanding "男に言い寄られてる" or taking it too literally with the screaming thing. The original line is more accurate.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've gotten through about 4 hours at this point, and I've seen maybe one or two translations that have made me raise an eyebrow, but nothing nearly as bad as these weebs are making it out to be.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Alright I dont get the text messaging. My buddies can call me to hang out but I can't call them? or do you have to like, unlock that or something

You click on their most recent text and you can choose to hang out if you want or not, not every message can do this, you'll just have to get a feel for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I think that one translator is actually completely misunderstanding "男に言い寄られてる" or taking it too literally with the screaming thing. The original line is more accurate.
Going through their twitter replies, they totally are.

Not to mention, Sojirou doesn't know the full circumstances, that's why he's asking. So their excuse being 'well, she was just screaming when it happened!' makes no sense as a reason for that wording, unless they're localizing Sojirou into a newtype.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Like 2 hours till I can play this still.

Making some bomb pasta sauce and sous vide chicken though!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Norns posted:

Like 2 hours till I can play this still.

Making some bomb pasta sauce and sous vide chicken though!

Nice

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

That doesn't contradict anything Tae said

I wouldn't describe xseed employees as amateur translators

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm only looking at the tweets posted in this thread.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm still early in the game but why are people complaining about Sojiro's lines of all things. Outside of a bit of "as you know" exposition I thought they got across his character rather well.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It seems to me that people have just kind of gone stir crazy after waiting for Persona 5's English release for so long. I doubt people would be analyzing it for every tiny flaw this much if it had a normal release.

The little things don't really matter to me. I cut my teeth in the era of "The Miracle Never Happen".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just got to the half way mark of the first dungeon. Taking a break to do a bit of part time stuff/social link with Good Good Garbage Boy Ryuji. I think it's really interesting how already I'm in a place where SP is my 'limit' in the dungeon rather than HP. We were all fine healthwise but everyone was dry on SP after that chapel boss. That's gonna be a constant issue that keeps me from just poopsocking my way through every dungeon day 1 isn't it?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I saw a tweet that used an Igor line as an example and lmfao what. If you think a stiff weird line is out of character for the mysterious mind bullshit man that says a bunch of mysterious mind bullshit you are out of your drat mind.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JT Jag posted:

It seems to me that people have just kind of gone stir crazy after waiting for Persona 5's English release for so long. I doubt people would be analyzing it for every tiny flaw this much if it had a normal release.

The little things don't really matter to me. I cut my teeth in the era of "The Miracle Never Happen".

Nah people will nitpick any translation if only to be smug.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

sexpig by night posted:

Just got to the half way mark of the first dungeon. Taking a break to do a bit of part time stuff/social link with Good Good Garbage Boy Ryuji. I think it's really interesting how already I'm in a place where SP is my 'limit' in the dungeon rather than HP. We were all fine healthwise but everyone was dry on SP after that chapel boss. That's gonna be a constant issue that keeps me from just poopsocking my way through every dungeon day 1 isn't it?

The further you get the less this becomes a problem, but with your resources as limited as they are at the start, you might still have some trouble until maybe the third dungeon depending on certain factors.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Color Printer posted:

I saw a tweet that used an Igor line as an example and lmfao what. If you think a stiff weird line is out of character for the mysterious mind bullshit man that says a bunch of mysterious mind bullshit you are out of your drat mind.

to be fair he does have a couple of lines that are hard to parse even taking his mannerisms into consideration.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

how do I charm this housewife

each time I talk to her she just throws a healing potion and runs the hell away.

come back housewife I want you on my face so i can make people chilly

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish the dub wasn't bad. But oh well. Glad Atlus finally gave us dual audio.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lmao I'm the triggered weeb that is angry about translations

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ann is pretty good in english but I was expecting her to sound fine too, so yeah.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm the weeb triggered by the dub and the translations but also by other weebs with annoying comments and armchair tls

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Frankly I'm more bothered by the lack of subtitles in some animated cutscenes than a few stiff lines.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

don't say 'triggered'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

don't say 'triggered'

Triggered

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It will take months, but the western public will decide who wins the battle between baal and I on makoto

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i want to win this housewife's heart but i can't

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's me and both voices suck so don't worry my weebness is not winning out here

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

i want to win this housewife's heart but i can't

She's in a dedicated relationship, don't be too clingy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Transfer student has one weird trick to remove bags from under his eyes.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

lol these are worse than Atlus' translations

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally got to play the game and while real life calls, the sheer style of the game is amazing. My only issue is that Joker seems to responsive to my commands so he often runs into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hello, I am also in Japanese 201, would anyone like my extremely professional, nuanced and varied opinion on the Persona 5 translation itt?