Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

It will take months, but the western public will decide who wins the battle between baal and I on makoto

You have my sword numerous filthy little teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Kamoshida's a dick but I wish I could imagine up a reality where everyone loves me

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ugh. Not being able to lift this game out of a dock and play it anywhere feels so backwards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Immediate impressions - sound balance seems a little screwy. Or maybe I just want the music to be louder.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Pollyanna posted:

Regarding this, there's some sort of pronunciation rules when it comes to Japanese words. You're supposed to put the right emphasis on the right syllables, and it's very context-specific. For example, the words for "bridge" and "chopsticks" are written in the exact same way, use the same kana, are pronounced identically, but have different points of emphasis. It's a subtle and kind of arbitrary thing and I sympathize when it comes to trying to pronounce Japanese words.

It sure as hell is confusing, though. I never ended up finding a guide to it...

Erika Harlacher, Ann's voice actor, said the direction for pronouncing names came straight from Atlus Japan. Similar to FFXIII, it seemed there was more hands-on involvement from Japan when it came to the localization instead of leaving it entirely to a the Atlus USA voice director/localization team. Did they think it would sound more natural to English speaking audiences?

You never go full Yoshio Sakamoto on your localizations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
finding out people don't like Dojima But Not A Total Dirtbag Sojiro is deeply upsetting

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This demonstrates the issue people are having with the "music as text" thing going on:

https://twitter.com/Unsomnus/status/849032335781703680

That person fixed it by deleting and redownloading the Japanese audio track.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I forgot how chill Persona is when you've completed the dungeon and just kick it around town for a week.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I don't think I asked this here, but is there any content that is only available in NG+?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I don't think I asked this here, but is there any content that is only available in NG+?
the secret boss battle. if you've played p3/p4, you can probably guess who the secret boss is. you don't get anything for beating the secret boss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

sexpig by night posted:

finding out people don't like Dojima But Not A Total Dirtbag Sojiro is deeply upsetting

Sojiro's a perfect man

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Secret boss and that's it

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I'm an idiot bitch, and I used a FAQ to ensure that I maxed all my social links in P3 and P4 as I played them. I'd really like not to have to do that here. Is it reasonable that I can play P5 by ear and get the best ending? Ideally, I'd like to continue to max all social links, but consulting gamefaqs on my phone every 5 seconds seems a little cumbersome.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Went to Gamestop to get this and they were out, good thing though becuase I snagged the last copy at a nearby Target and it's the Steelcase and it looks loving sick.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

sexpig by night posted:

I instantly liked Dojima and Sojiro is growing on me

Dojima is Basically Your Dad

Sojiro is your dirtbag uncle that you can't help but love anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm an idiot bitch, and I used a FAQ to ensure that I maxed all my social links in P3 and P4 as I played them. I'd really like not to have to do that here. Is it reasonable that I can play P5 by ear and get the best ending? Ideally, I'd like to continue to max all social links, but consulting gamefaqs on my phone every 5 seconds seems a little cumbersome.

Yes. You're not going to 100% max every single social link but you don't need to FAQ to finish it or do most of the social links at all.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Sojiro is your dirtbag uncle that you can't help but love anyway
You know, the one who has terrible political views, is horrible to be around on Thanksgiving, but he's funny as hell and he'd take a bullet for you, that uncle

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sojiro being a bit hard on you on taking in Morgana only to be bummed that he didn't get to name the cat was the moment i turned to "alright, you're solid old man"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JT Jag posted:

You know, the one who has terrible political views, is horrible to be around on Thanksgiving, but he's funny as hell and he'd take a bullet for you, that uncle

Sojiro thinks the political climate of Japan is horseshit so lol

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. You're not going to 100% max every single social link but you don't need to FAQ to finish it or do most of the social links at all.

Thanks. And that (should) get me the best ending, provided I'm reasonable about it? Obviously I'm trying to stay away from spoilers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is one ending to the story and two bad endings, that's it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

anything good in the first dungeon locked chests, i only got the first one

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The things in the locked dungeons aren't pre-determined iirc, it's just a bunch of rare stuff from a set group of things

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
"streaming or showing gameplay past 7/7 may result in you getting a copyright strike"
Yeah, good luck with that

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So, uh, awakening your Persona is quite violent

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So who voices Arsene? his voice actor sounds familiar but I can't quite place him.

VV Ah, guess I was just mistaken about recognizing him then. Thanks.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 5, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So who voices Arsene, his voice actor sounds familiar but I can't quite place him.

Xander Mobus who voices the main character as well. He's voiced Dagda in SMTIV, the Smash Announcer in Smash 4, and some fish from Neptunia

All of the Persona are voiced by their users

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harlock posted:

i love that they made not only the awakening look painful, with ryuji almost seizing on the floor, but right after that you have to rip off part of your face

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Moltrey posted:

i love that they made not only the awakening look painful, with ryuji almost seizing on the floor, but right after that you have to rip off part of your face
That mask is on there

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have to say the game has done an excellent job in making me hate the first villain.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Harlock posted:

This is a series where one entry had you blowing your loving brains out with a gun just to summon it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
god ann's persona is so loving good, this is the best thing they've ever put in the series

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm kicking around the second palace right about now, and without spoilers, I have to say the P5 kids are maybe even worse at investigating then the Inaba gang was.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Heath posted:

This is a series where one entry had you blowing your loving brains out with a gun just to summon it
yeah but outside of the first hour, everyone is psyched to put a gun to their head, with the MC and Fuuka making it their first idea.

where Aresene tells you that your rebellious spirit will get you chained to hell, and then your blood starts to boil as your head splits open

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ugh. Not being able to lift this game out of a dock and play it anywhere feels so backwards.

Yeah, it's a surprisingly disappointing thing. For most multi platform things I'm probably grabbing the Switch versions.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oh no, what do I name the Phantom Thieves :supaburn:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Oh no, what do I name the Phantom Thieves :supaburn:

Butt 2 Face

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man I am terrible at early-game Persona. Doing the first palace in three parts, a shameful Buss. :saddowns:

I mean I could have done it faster if I'd thought to sell that Soma earlier but welp. I always max out slinks on NG+ anyway so I'm not too worried.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm gonna go into my thoughts on the first plot of the game in a little bit more detail in this post than I have earlier, so I'm gonna put it in spoilers.

The first arc almost feels too good and plotted out. And considering its school setting and the teacher antagonst, I'm starting to wonder if Kamoshida was a cut Persona 4 villain concept that was cut late in development that Atlus has just been waiting for years to put in a game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bussamove posted:

Man I am terrible at early-game Persona. Doing the first palace in three parts, a shameful Buss. :saddowns:

I mean I could have done it faster if I'd thought to sell that Soma earlier but welp. I always max out slinks on NG+ anyway so I'm not too worried.

It's fine, the palaces are more designed for multiple run throughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

quote:

"To put [a gender select] option into the game, we'd have to cut other things to compensate for the workload, and every time that's the situation we'll say, 'it's not worth it'."

Addressing the story and scenario of Persona 3 in relation to later games, Hashino says: "With the way that game's world worked, it was okay for the protagonist to be female. With Persona 4, though, we needed the character to come from a big city to a small country town to be the driving force of the story, and it seemed more natural for a male character to fulfill that role. There are story aspects to this decision, as well."— Katsura Hashino, Persona 5 director