Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which is considered the tougher league historically to score in, the WHL or OHL?

Historically the W is considered stronger defensively but last I knew they were pretty equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

I think he tops out at 60-75 but it depends if he gets a lot of PP time with Laine

Kilza posted:

McDavid? I think so. He's playing his best hockey of the season right now, and his final 4 games are against 3 non-playoff teams (Kings, Canucks x2) and the struggling Sharks. I'm sure he'll get at least 6 points from those 4 games.

I was indeed talking about McDavid, but since T Bone brought it up and I'm thinking about it now, I agree that Kyle Connor is probably a 65ish point guy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Slappy Pappy posted:

Looking at it like this makes the 2016-17 Pittsburgh Penguins that much more impressive.

Despite all the injuries you can still win some games when you have Crosby, Kessel, and Murray. Although Kessel hasn't even been playing that well so it's mostly Crosby and Murray doing the lifting.

e: Mcdavid has 4 games to hit 6 points. I'd be surprised if he didn't hit 100.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
ovi is going to score 6 goals a game if he's playing against a bunch of scrubs in the Olympics

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Nash, Zucc, McD, Fast all out tomorrow. Does a loss lock up WC1?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Historically the W is considered stronger defensively but last I knew they were pretty equal.

There hasn't been a huge difference in GPG across the CHL over the last few years. Scoring has been generally a bit lower in the WHL, but not substantially so. The idea that it's the tough defensive league is just an anecdotal thing. A player who puts up 100pts in the OHL would still put up around the same in the WHL.

CHL GPG By Year

WHL: 3.31
OHL: 3.5
QMJHL: 3.52

WHL: 3.45
OHL: 3.39
QMJHL: 3.41

WHL: 3.40
OHL: 3.45
QMJHL: 3.45

It's actually far more difficult to compare players across teams than across the CHL. In every league there's one team that puts up 300+ goals and another that doesn't crack 200. This year Erie had 319 goals and Kingston had 179. Regina had 353 and Kootenay had 177. Charlottetown had 303 and Quebec had 187.

It's one of the reasons I'm so high on Jason Robertson. At first glance his numbers are pretty pedestrian. 42g 81pts in 68 games, but he was involved in 48% of Kingston's offence. The only first time draft eligible players to better that in recent years are Marner (49.8%) and McDavid (55.5%). That's pretty drat good company.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 4, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Just because the scoring rates are similar across the three leagues doesn't mean the talent level is, but that's a hard thing to measure so who knows.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Matt Zerella posted:

It's basically already locked up since they're not going to overtake Columbus for 3rd in the Metro.

Tampa, if they make it, would have 96 points at most. Meaning WC2 or 2/3 in Atlantic (unlikely)
Boston can end up with 98 points max, so WC2 or 2/3 in Atlantic.
Ottawa could end up with exactly 100 if they win out, but Rangers have the ROW tiebreaker. That point total is also most likely putting them at 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic.
Toronto can have up to 101 points. If the end up with 100, Rangers have the ROW tiebreaker. 100 or 101 points would probably make them 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic too.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Matt Zerella posted:

I really hope they're just resting McDonagh and his foot isn't broken again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's basically already locked up since they're not going to overtake Columbus for 3rd in the Metro.

Tampa, if they make it, would have 96 points at most. Meaning WC2 or 2/3 in Atlantic (unlikely)
Boston can end up with 98 points max, so WC2 or 2/3 in Atlantic.
Ottawa could end up with exactly 100 if they win out, but Rangers have the ROW tiebreaker. That point total is also most likely putting them at 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic.
Toronto can have up to 101 points. If the end up with 100, Rangers have the ROW tiebreaker. 100 or 101 points would probably make them 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic too.

Thanks for this. It's still fun to yell about a tank.

Jovial Cow posted:

I really hope they're just resting McDonagh and his foot isn't broken again.

Yep, same. Not that I have high hopes to begin with but McD being out would be Real Bad. AV insists he's ok but someone from CAS might bring up Dr. AV so I don't know what to think.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I suspect AV is just trying to rest anyone with some minor injuries so they don't get hurt more and have more time to heal up. I'm OK with it

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I can't afford even the lowest estimate of playoff hockey tickets this year in MN

:saddowns:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I can't afford even the lowest estimate of playoff hockey tickets this year in MN

:saddowns:

What's that estimate?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps can wrap up the Presidents trophy tonight with a win and a little help.
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-capitals/win-and-some-help-caps-can-clinch-presidents-trophy-tuesday

quote:

They can capture the Presidents’ Trophy, the Metropolitan Division title and home ice throughout the postseason...and they can do it a couple of ways:

If they defeat the Maple Leafs in regulation or overtime AND the Columbus Blue Jackets defeat the Penguins in any fashion.

Or

If the Caps beat the Leafs in the shootout AND the Jackets beat the Pens in the shootout.

I'm sure Toronto won't make it easy, they are one of three teams we could face in round one, Boston and Ottawa the other two.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/Senators/status/849366310509137920
Holy poo poo

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

I wasn't aware there was a way off Robidas Island. Impressive.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

What a thing to have happen on free Etch-a-Sketch night.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

rise! rise! rise!

That's what Matt Martin is telling his elbows to do.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

ovi is going to score 6 goals a game if he's playing against a bunch of scrubs in the Olympics

Probably not. He hasn't been that good in tournaments points wise. 2011 WC he didn't get a point in five games he played.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So.

http://www.tsn.ca/how-the-nhl-can-prevent-players-from-going-to-olympics-1.715216

Burn the whole thing down.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

First Karlsson flying into Detroit to take warm up and then deciding to play (and score) last night, and now this, 2 hours before puck drop?

:getin:

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I sincerely hope that Clarke MacArthur doesn't die.

- a hockey fan

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Clarke MacArthur is going to die so that Eugene Melnyk gets two or three more home games worth of revenue this season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Would not at all be surprised if this spurs a bunch of players to "retire" to the KHL this offseason.
gently caress you very much, Bettman et al.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The NHL is spiteful but I can't imagine they'd ban Ovechkin from playing in the playoffs because he hosed off for two weeks to the olympics.

At worst there will be a fine.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Someone's getting injured in Newark tonight. Flyers have Morin activated and the Devils have a couple of their tough guys up.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Doug MacLean is blaming the NHL not being in the Olympics on Donald Fehr

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

shyduck posted:

Someone's getting injured in Newark tonight.

Ya don't say

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

shyduck posted:

Someone's getting injured in Newark tonight. Flyers have Morin activated and the Devils have a couple of their tough guys up.

they really don't, it's a bunch of AHL college guys and what passes for top six talent in New Jersey these days. No Prout, no Gazdic -- that's all the toughness the Devils have in the system.

I mean Miles Wood fights for some reason but he is not in any way shape or form a tough guy. He shouldn't even be a default tough guy.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

Ya don't say
I thought about that but yeah :v:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So there's some hockey happening tonight

It would be nifty if the leafs could squeak one out against prob the best team this year but they've got mcelhole in so whatever

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Why are the Sens risking the career of MacArthur :(

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So MacArthur is going to die on the ice, right?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Melnyk is an accelerationist

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Marchand pulled a Crosby, wonder if he will get suspended

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Would not at all be surprised if this spurs a bunch of players to "retire" to the KHL this offseason.
gently caress you very much, Bettman et al.

Nobody important is leaving the NHL over this.

Did the PA make any kind of counter-offer to the NHL saying "extend the CBA 3 years and you can go"?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

bewbies posted:

Marchand pulled a Crosby, wonder if he will get suspended

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/849407464407801856

I'm going to bet no.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah good luck to the NHL trying to fine all the teams whatever amount of money over players leaving. Bettman is such a oval office

E: also it appears I was too hard on mcelhinney, he's doing pretty good

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Yeah, since Prout is suspended, someone else is going to have to step up and get their face caved in

Prout suspended, Quincey useful.

Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

E: also it appears I was too hard on mcelhinney, he's doing pretty good

McBackup has been pretty consistent. I can't really complain.

• Locked thread