Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heath posted:

TBH I haven't seen anybody in this thread express anything other than mild disappointment at the translation, but the people taking pains to call out all of the "hyperbole" and "rushing into the thread to poo poo it up" types that seem to be really angry at people on Twitter are giving me a much worse impression of the game than any of the screenshots have

That's true, but this thread got so entrenched in a person trying to be reasonable and then some people chomping at the bit to call others weebs and poo poo it was kind of obnoxious for a minute. I don't think anyone here is killing themselves over any of it, but it'd be nice if people could chill a bit,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Baal just does not like some va's in certain roles, anything he says about the dub is purely a preference thing.

Except amanda Winn lee. Is she supposed to be drunk? I still cant tell after 80 hours.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The script missteps aside I haven't heard a single off-tone voice so far, which is nice considering that the cast seems to mainly consist of Atlus' up-and-comers. Ryuji always sounds like he's ready to slug someone, which is appropriate. The Chin That Walks is basically Ian Sinclair's Space Dandy without the roguish charm. My perpetually tired homeroom teacher is nice. Igor good. Only the twins sound a little stilted.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

a persona game with an exclusively female protagonist would be cool, since the coolest parts of the female route in p3p were junpei getting pissy because a girl was going to be bossing him around, and then later on when he gets worried about guys creeping on you in his s. link, or you being out at like 5 in the morning play with cats. that stuff felt kind of honest and interesting in a way that humanized a lot of the cast.
Right? I always find it disappointing when heavily character-focused games let the player choose a male protagonist, because it makes it really hard for them to do anything that you can or would or should only do in a story about a woman. Doing it properly like P3P does requires a massive rewrite.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Baal just does not like some va's in certain roles, anything he says about the dub is purely a preference thing.

Except amanda Winn lee. Is she supposed to be drunk? I still cant tell after 80 hours.

She is supposed to sound drunk, but what I've heard of the trailer is iffy and I even said earlier the dub is fine for the most part with the exception of specific voices I don't care for. I've pretty much come around on Ryuji, because some of Mittelman's readings have been spectacular. I still don't like him as much as Miyano, but he's a solid performance in his own right.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

New Igor is better than old Igor pass it on

I find it interesting that Igor never seems to be quite sure what kind of room he's getting with the next guest but he had still two assistants ready to play good cop/bad cop.

well, :geno: cop and :argh: cop anyway.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

TBH I haven't seen anybody in this thread express anything other than mild disappointment at the translation, but the people taking pains to call out all of the "hyperbole" and "rushing into the thread to poo poo it up" types that seem to be really angry at people on Twitter are giving me a much worse impression of the game than any of the screenshots have

I mean I feel like the only reason that dog piling is happening is because certain indviduals are parroting the same 4 or 5 lines and going "LOOK AT THIS DOGSHIT TRANSLATION YOU loving IDIOTS" and then playing the pissbaby when people make fun of them. If you were to go "what's happening in this line here" or maybe make a joke about it or something people would probably be more open to discussion about questionable translation choices (suckamoto) but you've got people in here just trying to poo poo on the game and ruin it for other people that yeah, people are just gonna tell em to gently caress off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Caidin posted:

I find it interesting that Igor never seems to be quite sure what kind of room he's getting with the next guest but he had still two assistants ready to play good cop/bad cop.

well, :geno: cop and :argh: cop anyway.

I like to think he always shows up a little bit in advance of the owner waking up and let the twins fill in for his assistants this time because Caroline really really wanted to hit things with a stick.

e: like whenever the protag's not around she just runs around the perimeter of the place smacking on the bars, it's maddening, where's Theodore and his distractingly perfect hair when you need him

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's a safe bet most new people here will be shocked at makoto because she's been billed as p5 chie when that's not remotely her at all.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times before, but I'm asking again because I don't want to trawl back through pages full of plot spoilers. How time-sensitive are all the various Social Links and stat grinds in this one? Any particular stat or link I should prioritize? I remember there being some critical timings at least for P3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game's bad, I can't even date the lawyer woman

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

New Igor's voice is cool because that deep voice not seeming like it should belong to that scrawny little body of his in any way just makes him feel even more unsettling.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times before, but I'm asking again because I don't want to trawl back through pages full of plot spoilers. How time-sensitive are all the various Social Links and stat grinds in this one? Any particular stat or link I should prioritize? I remember there being some critical timings at least for P3.

You will hit some walls, but it is nowhere near as unforgiving as P3 and is more forgiving than P4's as well which was already pretty forgiving

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Here's a question: could you ever date the sibling of a date option in p3 or p4

Because this might be the weirdest consistency

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

You will hit some walls, but it is nowhere near as unforgiving as P3 and is more forgiving than P4's as well which was already pretty forgiving

Yeah, if you're actually using everything you have available P5 is really really easy. Probably excessively so.You won't get 100% without a guide on a first playthrough but you'll have time enough to get tons maxed out without much effort.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Luna Was Here posted:

I mean I feel like the only reason that dog piling is happening is because certain indviduals are parroting the same 4 or 5 lines and going "LOOK AT THIS DOGSHIT TRANSLATION YOU loving IDIOTS" and then playing the pissbaby when people make fun of them. If you were to go "what's happening in this line here" or maybe make a joke about it or something people would probably be more open to discussion about questionable translation choices (suckamoto) but you've got people in here just trying to poo poo on the game and ruin it for other people that yeah, people are just gonna tell em to gently caress off

I have not seen anyone making GBS threads on the game in this thread, and it's kind of dumb to tell one side to joke about it when the other side can't. Nobody (since the game dropped anyway, I haven't read earlier in the thread than that) has been especially hyperbolic in any sincere way. The people on Twitter have been, but that's Twitter.

Plus, everybody is "parroting" the same few lines because this is a 100+ hour game that has been available for only a day. Of course people are going to focus on the same few lines, that's all anyone has seen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raxivace posted:

New Igor's voice is cool because that deep voice not seeming like it should belong to that scrawny little body of his in any way just makes him feel even more unsettling.

yea he feels almost antagonistic at some points, which is a kinda neat way to take the character. He always kinda had the vibe of 'this dude loves watching you guys squirm' so it's not a total departure to add a bit more...not quite 'sinister' qualities but somewhere in that realm. Plus it goes well with the whole 'the velvet room is your prison' aesthetic. I still love me some old Igor but this new guy is a-ok by me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Let's be real, she's way out of Joker's league.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Translation is fine. It's a little janky at points, but overall it's still fine. Get over it, you babies.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

They missed a golden opportunity by not getting Danny Devito.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Here's a question: could you ever date the sibling of a date option in p3 or p4

Because this might be the weirdest consistency

I don't recall anyone in particular in fact the only siblings I even remember being S. Links were like Naoki and it's not like Saki was a date option. If you wanna get technical you could say Elizabeth and Margaret, but that's not like a real option.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FractalSandwich posted:

Uh he's out of her league, have you seen how he dresses?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, if you're actually using everything you have available P5 is really really easy. Probably excessively so.You won't get 100% without a guide on a first playthrough but you'll have time enough to get tons maxed out without much effort.

is there any special 'you REALLY need to work on rushing this stat asap if you want to finish it in time' social link like before?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to date the principal.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Captain Baal posted:

Uh he's out of her league, have you seen how he dresses?

>nice jacket
>>thx :)
>FOR A CLOWN TO WEAR
>TO THE PALACE
>IDIOT

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

What are you saying about the other adult women

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

sexpig by night posted:

is there any special 'you REALLY need to work on rushing this stat asap if you want to finish it in time' social link like before?

No Confidants have a time limit on them like Dojima and Nanako do, anything that ends before the story ends is automatic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Nice, any general 'this is a good stat to have' recommendations then? I never know what I should be doing on off days other than social links so right now I've been dabbling in a bit of everything.

Underwhelmed posted:

They missed a golden opportunity by not getting Danny Devito.

now I'm real mad we didn't get this.

"JOKAH YOU GOTTA FUSE THEM PERSONAS TOGETHER"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Nope, beyond the basic time limit that you expect.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Christ man

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The chalk is the murderous intent

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im losing my mind seeing SMT demons in high rest next gen models holy gently caress

my boy pyro jack here lookin GOOD

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Moltrey posted:

im losing my mind seeing SMT demons in high rest next gen models holy gently caress

my boy pyro jack here lookin GOOD

Wait til you see Incubus :mrwhite:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

What are you saying about the other adult women
Look, I'm not here to tell anyone how to live their life. All I'm saying is: if you're a high school student with a criminal record, falsely accused or not, you might want to think twice before you date any adult who would have you as their boyfriend.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

Incubus is UNSETTLINGLY good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FractalSandwich posted:

Look, I'm not here to tell anyone how to live their life. All I'm saying is: if you're a high school student with a criminal record, falsely accused or not, you might want to think twice before you date any adult who would have you as their boyfriend.

SADAYO KAWAKAMI IS A SAINT HOW DARE YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Heath posted:

i have him in my party right now and i cannot wait for him to leave i hate him atlus did too good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

Christ man

The hell is wrong with that

e: I guess "murderous intent" is one of those lazily translated stock phrases but the rest is fine

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

i have him in my party right now and i cannot wait for him to leave i hate him atlus did too good

Wait til you see Dominion, that motherfucker is pretty as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Ohya is trying her best