Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Do you all remember Alternity? Home to all sorts of sci-fi goodness that only TSR could make? Well there's a New Edition on Kickstarter! Yaaay! It also looks somewhat sketchy and doesn't say anything about the Star*Drive or Dark Matter settings. Boo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

lifg posted:

So how long does it take to play through the whole game?

I've seen GH scenarios take 90 minutes to five hours depending on your group dynamics, and there are 90ish scenarios of which you'll play maybe 60% in a typical full campaign I'd think. There are a few plot branches where you can decide who to side with, and you gain party or world achievements that can lock you out of the other choices (though you can play them in casual mode).

Solo with few decisions and playing on easy I can do them in 60-120 minutes. My group with open information generally takes 2-3 hours each. A group I watch sometimes can take 6 hours as they play strictly by the book and dance around what they are doing and what their goals are. I saw them take twenty minutes once just to establish that the scoundrel wanted the first kill of the scenario and was asking everyone else to hold back until then. Eventually though you either complete the scenario goals or run out of cards, so the social aspects take longer than the actual gameplay.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Thanks, everyone.

lifg posted:

So how long does it take to play through the whole game?

The kickstarter says 30 minutes/player.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Do you all remember Alternity? Home to all sorts of sci-fi goodness that only TSR could make? Well there's a New Edition on Kickstarter! Yaaay! It also looks somewhat sketchy and doesn't say anything about the Star*Drive or Dark Matter settings. Boo!

That's because it is kind of sketchy, they're basing their use of the name on a lack of trademark renewal by Wizards and they have no rights to the original text or settings (Star*Drive and Dark Matter both still owned by WotC and most recently used during D20 Modern and so still under trademark).

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out their interpretation of the law is incorrect in this instance and they get C&D before the campaign is over.

Still not backing it because it's an entirely new system by people who only have experience designing for D&D and D&D-alikes, and Richard Baker, with Bill Slavicsek as an advisor.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Is there a requirement to have more Gloomhaven minis, or is it just an option to buy more if you like the original ones?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Ah yes, that well-known sci-fi archetype, "the striker".

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

grassy gnoll posted:

Is there a requirement to have more Gloomhaven minis, or is it just an option to buy more if you like the original ones?
Just buying more if you like the originals.
You can only have one of each class in a scenario and if you wanted to break the rules and have duplicates, you'd have to buy another game anyway.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

grassy gnoll posted:

It's more of an optional upgrade for the original backers of the "Standees only" version.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm confused from reading the Campaign. Does the reprint come with minis or standees for the Heroes?

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm confused from reading the Campaign. Does the reprint come with minis or standees for the Heroes?

Box Contents: 17 detailed 32mm plastic minatures

"The second printing of Gloomhaven comes with a full set of miniatures for each of the 17 character classes."

Seems pretty cut and dry.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, I got that the base box had the 17 minis in it.

There's a shitload of stuff in a Gloomhaven box. I'm a little surprised he can deliver for a hundred bucks.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Aghama posted:

Box Contents: 17 detailed 32mm plastic minatures

"The second printing of Gloomhaven comes with a full set of miniatures for each of the 17 character classes."

Seems pretty cut and dry.

Yeah reading it again I think what confused me is the Shipping Information section. It's not saying the box comes with those things just that there's no extra shipping charge. I'd rather have the standees since no one in my group is a painter I'll end up with a lot of grey plastic blobs.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Crap I gotta stay away from Kickstarter FFS.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a place for it. That along with my Elite RPG should be enough for a while.

Also holy crap me and 7,478 others backed this? Talk about a crapload of printing if he is selling nearly 1 full box to each backer, (though I assume a lot are just getting the upgrades or solo book, still). And not getting burned on Shipping is a really nice touch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

Paranoia has finally shipped! Backed in Nov/2014 so they've certainly had time to perfect it. Quality of the materials is high, looking forward to playing it in the coming weeks.

I find out about this kickstarter and the thread in the same day. <sigh>

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Switching to actual good RPGs, is anyone backing the Faith Core Rules? I've been interested in the world, but the board gamey-ness of the first edition turned me off. Really thinking of backing this.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gintonicfilms/getting-on-board

Back this.

quote:

Getting On Board is a web series that follows independent tabletop game designers and shows their process for creating and sharing their games with the world. This series is for anyone curious about how a board game is made - from initial concept to shelves; for anyone with their own amazing ideas for a game, but isn't sure where to start; or for anyone who just loves playing games!

By interviewing different designers, we aim to cover the various stages of creating a board game. This includes (but is not limited to): concept design, prototyping, playtesting, launching a Kickstarter, finding a publisher, printing, and distribution.

A season of 6 to 8 episodes that run roughly 6-8 minutes each will be made available to the public online.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm definitely backing Gloomhaven, but I kinda wish there was a slightly cheaper standee-only option as I'm not really into minis.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Switching to actual good RPGs, is anyone backing the Faith Core Rules? I've been interested in the world, but the board gamey-ness of the first edition turned me off. Really thinking of backing this.

They use the term species instead of races and that almost has me sold by itself

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 5, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The guy who did the Innocents RPG plugged his next project in the 'pledge manager is open' update, an RPG called Talislanta: The Savage Land, about which I know nothing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zurui posted:

I'm definitely backing Gloomhaven, but I kinda wish there was a slightly cheaper standee-only option as I'm not really into minis.

I bet you could sell the minis for a few bucks on ebay. Making some standees or whatever should be pretty easy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zurui posted:

I believe it's more cost-effective for Isaac to simply make the minis version the default one, there was actually a standee-only option but it was the equivalent of a KS exclusive for the initial print run. I don't know how much of a difference it makes but there aren't really that many miniatures, they're solely relegated to player characters and even the boss monsters of the game are all standees otherwise.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that alternity KS looks extremely D&D-in-space and puts their goofy dierolling mechanic front and center. seems like a nostalgia-only deal tbh

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm not familiar with Alternity at all, but what in the world is the draw of a "new edition" that doesn't/can't use either the rules or the setting of the previous work? Like, I can totally see the draw of a spiritual successor type thing, but going so far as to take the old brand name while everything else is only sorta similar seems like it would only invite problems.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

I'm not familiar with Alternity at all, but what in the world is the draw of a "new edition" that doesn't/can't use either the rules or the setting of the previous work? Like, I can totally see the draw of a spiritual successor type thing, but going so far as to take the old brand name while everything else is only sorta similar seems like it would only invite problems.

it looks like the rules are based on the original and its goofy d20+stat+"situation die" mechanic (which makes being good at things inexplicably less reliable than having a genetic predilection for doing that thing but whatever). they just can't use the settings because WOTC owns those.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh my god, it uses a tick system for combat just like Exalted 2e/Scion 1e. This poo poo is hosed.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

FRIEND COMPUTER posted:

I went ahead and posted the Retrocausality KS. Hoping to get into stretch goals! :toot:

140% now so it looks like we might make it to this good as hell stretch goal:

quote:

$2,000: AN APOLOGY

When the original version of Retrocausality launched, I wrote an ad blurb that claimed it had won an Origins Award for Best RPG in the year 2317. It was reported for false advertising.

This is true. As any time traveler knows, it was this version of Retrocausality that will have won an award. At this pledge level, I will record a heartfelt video apology.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cease to Hope posted:

it looks like the rules are based on the original and its goofy d20+stat+"situation die" mechanic (which makes being good at things inexplicably less reliable than having a genetic predilection for doing that thing but whatever). they just can't use the settings because WOTC owns those.

I'm going to say not really? It's like if someone described the original rules to you and then you tried to make your own version but roll over and you really just wanted to make D&D. In some ways it's simplified, but in other ways it's pants-on-head stupid, like how you use damage values to determine 'severity' that you have boxes of instead of just having numeric health (for reference, the original Alternity just used multiple types of HP to accomplish something similar, but faster in play and to keep track of).

I can't comment too much more without getting into the guts of it, but it really shows that they don't know what made the original system tick and just decided to ape the die system and use wonky math.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I believe it's more cost-effective for Isaac to simply make the minis version the default one, there was actually a standee-only option but it was the equivalent of a KS exclusive for the initial print run. I don't know how much of a difference it makes but there aren't really that many miniatures, they're solely relegated to player characters and even the boss monsters of the game are all standees otherwise.

If you really want, there's a $5 add on for standees of the characters as well

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I really hope Gloomhaven goes to show other people/companies that you don't need to put bullshit exclusives in a game to be successful. They did appear to have stretch goals in the original KS, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have the original box set and The Garden in Hell Campaign. They're both excellent.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I feel bad backing this because shipping is free on a 20 lb game

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vehementi posted:

Yeah, when you get this thing, it feels ridiculous.
It's a huge amount of content for the price. Other KS campaigns seem way overpriced if this is what you can get for ~$100 (and I paid even less for the first campaign).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my advice for anyone KSing Gloomhaven is to start benching and squatting so you can pick up the game when it gets to your house.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I really hope Gloomhaven goes to show other people/companies that you don't need to put bullshit exclusives in a game to be successful. They did appear to have stretch goals in the original KS, though.

Being at #10 and rising on the BGG all time list before launching the reprint is obviously not a situation most kickstarters will be able to duplicate, and it seems pretty obvious that he's leaving money on the table right now even if he has the luxury of doing so due to the game's success, so unfortunately I don't think this is going to be the lesson most people take from it. Rising Sun being both a massive success and chock full of kickstarter bullshit is probably the more likely of the two for others to try to emulate.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Vehementi posted:

I was really surprised to see that shipping was free. I will fully expecting $20+ for US shipping, so I went back and added $10 to my pledge to get the solo campaigns too. Now the long wait begins... I did just find out that the University I work at does free 3D printing, so I'll spend the meantime making prints of terrain/traps! They're printing gate holders for Eldritch Horror for me now; it's great.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I guess when you have all your cost and production dialed in that you make a good profit on what looks like a really low price, you don't really need to increase it to still make it worth your while. Sure he could probably make more and sell the same amount for say $20 (or if anything, charge a bit extra for shipping), but in this case he is going to get his game into the hands of vastly more players and can always look to create addons or a new "Premium" kit down the line for more if he wants to.

Overall its businesses/people like him that deliver high value for the money that make people happy to be repeat customers. So it's hard to fault him for anything from what I have read.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

There's so much in the game already that stretch goals aren't needed. It would somehow make more sense to start cutting missions as stretch goals so that you could theoretically finish the game within your lifetime, haha.

Also, I think he doesn't want to overload himself considering he's also going to launch a KS for a Euro-style game called Founders of Gloomhaven in the next few months.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

There's so much in the game already that stretch goals aren't needed. It would somehow make more sense to start cutting missions as stretch goals so that you could theoretically finish the game within your lifetime, haha.

Also, I think he doesn't want to overload himself considering he's also going to launch a KS for a Euro-style game called Founders of Gloomhaven in the next few months.

As much as it's a game that doesn't seem to need it, he's crazy if he never does some kind of expansion or actual sequel for this game. The enthusiasm for the free scenarios shows pretty clearly that there would be a market for it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I'm going to say not really? It's like if someone described the original rules to you and then you tried to make your own version but roll over and you really just wanted to make D&D. In some ways it's simplified, but in other ways it's pants-on-head stupid, like how you use damage values to determine 'severity' that you have boxes of instead of just having numeric health (for reference, the original Alternity just used multiple types of HP to accomplish something similar, but faster in play and to keep track of).

I can't comment too much more without getting into the guts of it, but it really shows that they don't know what made the original system tick and just decided to ape the die system and use wonky math.

I mean, I'll defer to someone who actually cares about Alternity on the details. I was basing it entirely on "same name + same concept + (some of) same people + some reused mechanics".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I assume it'd come at some point, but has Isaac said anything about a Gloomhaven sequel/expansion?