Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hog fat posted:

No I'm not, human being with a derivative Hitler avatar; I already said that the entire OT can be discarded.

Then why even have it? Also, pretty much every Hitler av is going to be derivative because Hitler's dead, champ.

hog fat posted:

The Gospel is only Christ's words, but you wouldn't know that because you haven't read that which you have the gall to criticize.

So, only Jesus' part of the NT counts- you can't take into account his apostles(because Paul and some of the others have many very objectioniable things to say)?

Man, this bible really sucks if you have to ignore so much of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I personally believe as a a Jew (a Jewish rabbi to boot) who mostly hung out with other Jews, Jesus probably considered the Old Testament to be pretty authoritative text. Like as a historical document at the least even if he discarded the laws.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Panzeh posted:

Then why even have it? Also, pretty much every Hitler av is going to be derivative because Hitler's dead, champ.

So, only Jesus' part of the NT counts- you can't take into account his apostles(because Paul and some of the others have many very objectioniable things to say)?

Man, this bible really sucks if you have to ignore so much of it.

You do not know what derivative means. Big shock that the guy who hasn't read the single most important book in Western canon fails to comprehend the meaning of a big-boy word.

And yes, as Christ does. Otherwise you might as well adhere to tradition above the service of others like the Jews he criticizes who are not the same as contemporary Jews who are all irreproachable people.

DarkCrawler posted:

I personally believe as a a Jew who mostly hung out with other Jews, Jesus probably considered the Old Testament to be pretty authoritative text. Like as a historical document at the least even if he discarded the laws.

Then it's a good thing your personal beliefs hold as much weight as the bowel movements of which they are comprised.

hog fat fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 5, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hog fat posted:

You do not know what derivative means. Big shock that the guy who hasn't read the single most important book in Western canon fails to comprehend the meaning of a big-boy word.

And yes, as Christ does. Otherwise you might as well adhere to tradition above the service of others like the Jews he criticizes who are not the same as contemporary Jews who are all irreproachable people.

I mean, if you discard the OT you would know almost nothing about God. Also, is Christ God, or the son of God(whatever that means)? You seem to have a totally different set of beliefs from practically every christian doctrine. Even the most liberal Christian creeds consider the OT to have historical value, and God's behavior in the OT indicates a morality aligned more closely to Ghenghis Khan than anyone today.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
I'm not going to read the bible to you because that would be like casting pearls before swine. Everything I have said is explicitly stated in the NT. Every Christian I have ever met understands this. I will continue to refer to my sample as representative as long as you continue to make up the beliefs of people you've never actually met in person

Atheists <--- :fuckoff:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Cast pearls before swine" is such a terrible sentence (also Paul did not ignore the OT, neither did almost literally any christian church, ever)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hog fat posted:

I'm not going to read the bible to you because that would be like casting pearls before swine. Everything I have said is explicitly stated in the NT. Every Christian I have ever met understands this. I will continue to refer to my sample as representative as long as you continue to make up the beliefs of people you've never actually met in person

Atheists <--- :fuckoff:

I'm not sure who's making up who's beliefs, but I would venture to say that "ditch the whole OT" is a minority opinion in Christianity.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I am pretty sure they never told me Moses didn't actually exist in Church and I come from the most boring milquetoast Lutheran church in existence.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
It's not a question of the fact of Moses existence, you ignorant slobs, but rather the teachings of the OT. And yes, they are clearly disavowed in the Gospel.

Arguing with cretins who haven't even read the NT is a really productive use of time. God give me the strength to love and pity you fallow-brain morons

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

hog fat posted:

the teachings of the OT... are clearly fulfilled in the Gospel.

FTFY

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hog fat posted:

the single most important book in Western canon

I'm sorry but what does George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire saga have to do with the topic at hand?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hog fat posted:

It's not a question of the fact of Moses existence, you ignorant slobs, but rather the teachings of the OT. And yes, they are clearly disavowed in the Gospel.

Arguing with cretins who haven't even read the NT is a really productive use of time. God give me the strength to love and pity you fallow-brain morons

The line about the fulfilment of the law meaning completely ignoring the OT is an extremely radical take that only a few dejudaizing sects would ever consider, now or historically.

This whole line of argument is also kinda pointless because it's utterly meaningless from the point of view of "do christian churches have a tendency to lurch very far to the right, in general" to which the answer is broadly yes, with a few exceptions.

And not only have I read the NT, I have read the OT including the parts that are only roman catholic canon, seeing how I was in a catholic school

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

You cannot love your fellow man and take vengeance, moron. How is this even remotely ambiguous?

I know you all think you're really smart because you graduated from community college and watch John Oliver but you lack the capacity to understand rudimentary logic. It's not your fault, God does not give equally, but boy am I glad to be a good seed adrift a sea of rotten ones.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hog fat posted:

You cannot love your fellow man and take vengeance, moron. How is this even remotely ambiguous?

I know you all think you're really smart because you graduated from community college and watch John Oliver but you lack the capacity to understand rudimentary logic. It's not your fault, God does not give equally, but boy am I glad to be a good seed adrift a sea of rotten ones.

pot, kettle, etc

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

hog fat posted:

boy am I glad to be a good seed adrift a sea of rotten ones.

Fat does float, after all.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hog fat posted:

Maybe instead of insults you might actually answer a question - is the OT a historical document according to Christians or not? I've read the New and Old Testament many times.

Don't know if your branch of Christianity had a confirmation school or not, but we basically spent a month doing nothing but reading the Bible, that on top of the times I have read it on my own because I do consider it the most important book in the Western culture I also happen to be a part of. And my particular branch of Christianity certainly thinks that the Old Testament isn't a fable.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 5, 2017

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

Agnosticnixie posted:

The line about the fulfilment of the law meaning completely ignoring the OT is an extremely radical take that only a few dejudaizing sects would ever consider, now or historically.

This whole line of argument is also kinda pointless because it's utterly meaningless from the point of view of "do christian churches have a tendency to lurch very far to the right, in general" to which the answer is broadly yes, with a few exceptions.

And not only have I read the NT, I have read the OT including the parts that are only roman catholic canon, seeing how I was in a catholic school

you've narrowly defined religion to mean 'the organized religions practiced by uneducated Southerners' which are not even religions but weird cultural vestiges of Antebellum. Go to any Church in any 'progressive' city and you'll find that my view is the majority one.

also, I can name several luminaries who champion the view I've articulated but won't now because I'd like to believe that at least one of you has read a book that isn't a part of a fantasy series.

hog fat fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 5, 2017

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hog fat posted:

Here's one: Tolstoy said literally nothing other than the Gospel matters. The Gospel can be summarized as such: do good to/love your fellow man, suspend judgement and abstain from indulgence. Almost every Christian I have ever met follows in this tradition whether they've read Tolstoy or not.

From your posting so far, you seem to fail at every one of these commandments. Perhaps you're full of poo poo?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hog fat posted:

you've narrowly defined religion to mean 'the organized religions practiced by uneducated Southerners' which are not even religions but weird cultural vestiges of Antebellum. Go to any Church in any 'progressive' city and you'll find that my view is the majority one.

also, I can name several luminaries who champion the view I've articulated but won't now because I'd like to believe that at least one of you has read a book that isn't a fantasy series.

I have not. This might amaze you but the catholic church has a bit of a history with fascism and there are very few fascist dictatorships they didn't actively provide moral support to, including a few nazi puppet states. Protestant churches also have a history of broadly opposing revolutionary movements and of being largely creatures of the state. Canadian mennonites actually used to publish nazi literature almost all the way to the war.

Religion is ultimately an institutional power structure, personal spirituality is a modern phenomenon and even Tolstoy's christian mysticism was opposed by official religious institutions.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

Flowers For Algeria posted:

From your posting so far, you seem to fail at every one of these commandments. Perhaps you're full of poo poo?

if I can rouse even one of you from your slack-jawed atheistic stupor then I have done more good than all of your donations to the SPLC combined

hog fat fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hog fat posted:

if I can rouse even one of you from your atheistic, slack-jawed stupor I have done more good than all your donations to the SPLC combined

Did you swallow a fedora?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

hog fat posted:

if I can rouse even one of you from your slack-jawed atheistic stupor I have done more good than all your donations to the SPLC combined

And become an immoral and authoritarian idiot? No thank you. Religion is a disease and Christianity a particularly odious strain of it.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

Agnosticnixie posted:

I have not. This might amaze you but the catholic church has a bit of a history with fascism and there are very few fascist dictatorships they didn't actively provide moral support to, including a few nazi puppet states. Protestant churches also have a history of broadly opposing revolutionary movements and of being largely creatures of the state. Canadian mennonites actually used to publish nazi literature almost all the way to the war.

Religion is ultimately an institutional power structure, personal spirituality is a modern phenomenon and even Tolstoy's christian mysticism was opposed by official religious institutions.

*writes a bunch of poo poo in the same imperious tone as every atheist thinking they're dropping truth bombs on a highly educated white male* oh really? drat, no I didn't know that thing that every university promulgates as a matter of course the second you walk through their wrought-iron gates. please tell me more?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hog fat posted:

*writes a bunch of poo poo in the same imperious tone as every atheist thinking they're dropping truth bombs on a highly educated white male* oh really? drat, no I didn't know that thing that every university promulgates as a matter of course the second you walk through their wrought-iron gates. please tell me more?

Says the person who uses the expression "pearls before swine" unironically.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

And become an immoral and authoritarian idiot? No thank you. Religion is a disease and Christianity a particularly odious strain of it.

couldn't agree more that organized religion is a particularly odious strain. but if you think Christianity is more sinister than Islam then you're an even bigger idiot than I suspect you are.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

hog fat posted:

couldn't agree more than organized religion is a particularly odious strain. but if you think Christianity is more sinister than Islam then you're an even bigger idiot than I suspect you are.

Christianity is the one you are defending, friend. I saw no reason to name any other religion in particular.

hog fat posted:

Maybe, just maybe, it's a matter of course because it's objectively right.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hog fat posted:

if I can rouse even one of you from your slack-jawed atheistic stupor then I have done more good than all of your donations to the SPLC combined

I guess you are not actually interested in discussing anything, but thanks for providing (another) handy example of a Christian who doesn't give a flying gently caress about the Gospel. In case you still think every one you meet understands and lives by it, look in the mirror.

People like you were a big part why I became an atheist, so I guess thanks in a way? :shrug:

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

Bolocko posted:

Fat does float, after all.

you can go ahead and take a look at my fitness log. I squat 5x5x205 completely untrained and will progress to a double bodyweight squat from untrained in a matter of months. I also have a photo posted, go ahead and take a look at my sinewy 6'4" 195 frame and prostrate yourself before me, you beta keyboard warrior. boy I wish you were in my dojo right now: I would inflict a world of pain upon you if provoked, as I would never willingly inflict violence on someone other than in self defense.

Christianity is the one you are defending, friend. I saw no reason to name any other religion in particular.

Maybe, just maybe, it's a matter of course because it's objectively right.

yes, and maybe just maybe what one sect of Christianity did hundreds of years ago, heck even fifty years ago, in no way represents the beliefs of adherents of Christianity as a whole? I don't see anyone blaming Buddhists for the genocide of the Tamilese, but that's because you cowards are utterly incapable of targeting anything other than Western values like the postmodernist mind-wizards want you to

DarkCrawler posted:

I guess you are not actually interested in discussing anything, but thanks for providing (another) handy example of a Christian who doesn't give a flying gently caress about the Gospel. In case you still think every one you meet understands and lives by it, look in the mirror.

People like you were a big part why I became an atheist, so I guess thanks in a way? :shrug:

*doesn't believe in God because of the actions of other people* Religious people are so irrational. For science! :science:

hog fat fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 5, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hog fat posted:

you can go ahead and take a look at my fitness log. I squat 5x5x205 completely untrained and will progress to a double bodyweight squat from untrained in a matter of months. I also have a photo posted, go ahead and look at my 6'4" 195 body and prostrate yourself before me, you beta keyboard warrior. boy I wish you were in my dojo right now: I would inflict a world of pain upon you if provoked, as I would never willingly inflict violence on someone other than in self defense.

Every time I wake up I open palm slam the old testament into the trashcan

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I gotta admit something, though: there is one thing that is the product of religion that is pretty good (if you ignore the message, but it's not that hard since it's in Latin): Vivaldi's Stabat Mater sung by a counter-tenor.

Gregorian chants are also pretty soothing.

Of course none of it was produced by Protestants, though, who are utterly unable to create anything moving.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

hog fat posted:

yes, and maybe just maybe what one sect of Christianity did hundreds of years ago, heck even fifty years ago, in no way represents the beliefs of adherents of Christianity as a whole? I don't see anyone blaming Buddhists for the genocide of the Tamilese, but that's because you cowards are utterly incapable of targeting anything other than Western values like the postmodernist mind-wizards want you to

Do you also defend neo-Nazis by saying that they're not responsible for what Nazis might have done some sixty years ago, and shouldn't be put in the same bag?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

I gotta admit something, though: there is one thing that is the product of religion that is pretty good (if you ignore the message, but it's not that hard since it's in Latin): Vivaldi's Stabat Mater sung by a counter-tenor.

Gregorian chants are also pretty soothing.

Of course none of it was produced by Protestants, though, who are utterly unable to create anything moving.

Poulenc and Reger's religious music is also amazing in general (which is kind of ironic as Reger was excommunicated and Poulenc was openly gay)

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

Panzeh posted:

Every time I wake up I open palm slam the old testament into the trashcan

Excellent. You can discard everything but the Gospel, anyways.

I'm gonna go meditate because you've all sufficiently riled me from the state of carefully cultivated equanimity that I normally operate at. Keep on having trash beliefs and knocking the only bastion of Western culture remaining. I'll be studying Seneca while you fart-sniffers crack those banal Trump jokes you're so fond of

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Agnosticnixie posted:

But is it fair to single out religion for this? Hierarchy and Conservatism are just facts of life and have been facts of life forever. Tolstoy existed around the same time as many other Anarchists who were mostly Atheists. Liberalism growing in society effected the religious and the non-religious. Reactionary politics growing more popular effected the religious and the non-religious.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

Do you also defend neo-Nazis by saying that they're not responsible for what Nazis might have done some sixty years ago, and shouldn't be put in the same bag?

Is that a serious question? Neo-Nazis, despite their abhorrent beliefs, are not responsible for what Nazis did sixty years ago you absolute mongoloid. You're a complete... no.

Peace. May God grant you the happiness that I could not.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

No love for J.S. Bach? John Tavener? Thomas Tallis?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hog fat posted:

*doesn't believe in God because of the actions of other people* Religious people are so irrational. For science! :science:

Umm, read the post again, I did not say that was the sole reason why I don't believe in God. I am more then willing to expand on that if you would actually be willing to do anything else then shitpost.

You, a particular religious person, in this case is very irrational because you get very easily goaded into what seems to be a tearful rage. I don't think religious people are irrational in every, or even most cases.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 5, 2017

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

DarkCrawler posted:

Umm, read the post again, I did not say that was the sole reason why I don't believe in God. I am more then willing to expand on that if you would actually be willing to do anything else then shitpost.

You, a particular religious person, in this case is very irrational because you get very easily goaded into what seems to be a tearful rage. I don't think religious people are irrational in every, or even most cases.

there's room for more than just Bolocko in my pain palace, bud. To imply that I could be goaded into anything is absurd. I've been doing vipassana for three-months, metta for one. And congratulations, buddy, you just made it into the latter.

hog fat fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 5, 2017

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hog fat posted:

there's room for more than just Bolocko in my pain palace, bud. To imply that I could be goaded into anything is absurd. I've been doing vipassana for three-months, metta for one. And congratulations, buddy, you just made it into the latter.

Man, can you at least keep religious mockery on your own faith? Well, claimed faith, since you really just seem to be all preach but no practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

hog fat posted:

No I'm not, human being with a derivative Hitler avatar; I already said that the entire OT can be discarded. Christ himself did as much. But you wouldn't know that because you haven't read that which you have the gall to criticize.

lol, you're accusing people of not reading the bible when you haven't even read Matthew 5:18.

• Locked thread