Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The first dungeon is pretty rough on Hard. I might actually have to do it in three trips just because of SP issues.

I got destroyed so much on normal. It's weirdly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Persona 5: Dramatic Eye Close-up

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That girl didn't even try to do a flip.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

enojy posted:

Oh alright, I didn't even know this was a thing. I took Japanese 101 as my required foreign language credit in college and that's it; they basically told us "no emphasis on syllables ever" and I just figured that went for all of Japan. That makes the weird name pronunciation more tolerable.
That'll happen. That's one of those lies that people like to tell beginners for some reason, like when they tell you that the た form of verbs and adjectives signifies past tense.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Translation is stiff sometimes but it sounds ok in action. Dub seems ok too. I like the game. It feels really dark, and having the first villain be tied up in the early school stuff was kind of genius.

Everyone who isn't a main character seems pretty lovely though. Continuing the tradition of adults being terrible I guess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

enojy posted:

Oh alright, I didn't even know this was a thing. I took Japanese 101 as my required foreign language credit in college and that's it; they basically told us "no emphasis on syllables ever" and I just figured that went for all of Japan. That makes the weird name pronunciation more tolerable.

I read somewhere that they specifically don't bother to try and teach pitch accents to non-native speakers, so it's not your fault. And yeah, there's technically a reason behind it, but to the average player it'll just come off as strange.

FractalSandwich posted:

That'll happen. That's one of those lies that people like to tell beginners for some reason, like when they tell you that the た form of verbs and adjectives signifies past tense.

I still have this in my head - what's the actual intent again?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They are saying Ann correctly for where they are

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is pretty loving incredible so far.

Four and a half hours in, I'm finally about to really start the dungeon crawling proper and this game is way more raw and way more gritty than P4. This whole first chapter is really disturbing material for a game following up something as bouncy and happy as P4.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Well this game sure does get dark in a hurry. Moreso than the previous 2 games. I thought the whole "No good deed goes unpunished" thing was a neat way to start off then they just kind of drop the first villain on you without even trying to hide or play down his lovely actions.

I tried playing on hard and could not get through the first dungeon. Enemies randomly getting 2-3 turns in a row, the huge reliance on magic/tiny SP pools, and the slow trickle of experience means I was constantly needing to leave by the time I hit the next safe room. Assuming I could even get there. I might drop it to easy when I get home from work today and just plow through it. Im also going to assume the game is going to heavily rely on fusing personas to keep up in levels instead of grinding mobs to get their next skills.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I still have this in my head - what's the actual intent again?
It's the perfect aspect. I assume the reason they don't just teach people that to begin with is that most native English speakers without any other linguistic training don't know what it means.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FractalSandwich posted:

It's the perfect aspect. I assume the reason they don't just teach people that to begin with is that most native English speakers without any other linguistic training don't know what it means.

Right, goddamn. I haven't thought about perfect form and all that since I was learning formal Spanish. I just treated Japanese like native Guatemalan Spanish :saddowns:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Pretty much, yeah. All the bitching about bitching makes me think there's something to it. Actually, it's one of the reasons I'm waiting on more impressions and not immediately diving into the game.

There are definitely a bunch of early lines that are really awkward and stilted but it does seem to ease up as soon as Ryuji enters the picture, and even the clunkiest lines are still acted with conviction, which takes a lot of the edge off.

It's only irritating for me because this was such a self-inflicted error on Atlus JP's part. There was no real reason for them to meddle as much as they did.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Playing on Normal and trying to get as far as I can in the first dungeon my first time in there. I got all the way up to the bottom of the tower, and then died to the last enemy of the last group. My last save is before the chapel boss. Fuuuuck, I knew I was running on fumes but it was just one more fight, then I was gonna run back to the safe room. :smith:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Mementos is such an effin' good addition thanks for dropping it on me right before anime exams game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bardeh posted:

Playing on Normal and trying to get as far as I can in the first dungeon my first time in there. I got all the way up to the bottom of the tower, and then died to the last enemy of the last group. My last save is before the chapel boss. Fuuuuck, I knew I was running on fumes but it was just one more fight, then I was gonna run back to the safe room. :smith:

There's way too many situations where you can get a game over through no fault of your own for that to be safe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

yeah, even on normal, getting all the way to the end of the first dungeon in a single run once you have full access is no small accomplishment. Gets really hairy when you're out of SP and there are level 16 enemies who can generally one shot any particular character should they wish.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This game is giving me serious post traumatic flashbacks to being back in high school.

The puberty. The angst. gently caress. gently caress!!

*rocks back and forth*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WMain00 posted:

This game is giving me serious post traumatic flashbacks to being back in high school.

*rocks back and forth*

Do Japanese kids with a record really get branded the way the protag does in P5? I know that students are constantly walking a tightrope in that country where their education is concerned but holy poo poo the amount of hostility you encounter in the prologue is nuts.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

pretty much

ryuji is easily the best joonpaykun so far

That is because Ryuji is more of a Kanji than a Junpei.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes and you're hosed if you have a criminal record is true of many countries other than Japan.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

WMain00 posted:

*rocks back and forth*

I love it and Sojiro is a nice contrast to Dojima because I know guys who are like "ugh sausage fest lemme out of here"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That is because Ryuji is more of a Kanji than a Junpei.

Yeah, Kanji getting the role he should have had is a net gain.

Good work Person 5

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Oxxidation posted:

Do Japanese kids with a record really get branded the way the protag does in P5? I know that students are constantly walking a tightrope in that country where their education is concerned but holy poo poo the amount of hostility you encounter in the prologue is nuts.

yes, extremely

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Part of that hostility comes from the fact that rumors of his crime and his general demeanor were being inflated and spread like a meme, apparently intentionally. Also, he was convicted of a crime. In America, flat assault is just a misdemeanor but crimes still carry a lot of social weight if made public. I imagine that's amplified in Japan.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The prologue did just seem weird to me.

You're a badass phantom thief
Here's a practice platform section
Here's a practice fight
Here's a practice stealth section
Here's half an hour about how much you suck
Here's the combat tutorial!?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

hyphz posted:

Here's a practice fight

Yes it's a jrpg

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hyphz posted:

Here's a practice fight

It's basically a targeted "yeah, we know Persona 4 takes an eternity to start" thing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes and you're hosed if you have a criminal record is true of many countries other than Japan.
Yeah it's not like this is a "haha japan is so weird and wacky" thing. Unless you're very rich you're pretty hosed in a lot of places.

Norns posted:

Yes it's a jrpg
Well the framing technique used makes things jump around kind of weirdly. Like you use a Persona before you actually awaken one in the game.

e: I played just about 2 hours or so last night. So far I'm quite enjoying it, but having not even scratched the surface it's hard to say. I think the small QoL modifications to combat will be good (thank gently caress it gives you visual cues on whether attacks will be effective on enemies, once you've discovered their weak points etc).

Does anyone else think that the Battle Summary and Level Up screens are a little..."busy"? In general I like the UX style, those screens may take some getting used to though.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Y'all got anymore of them SPs?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I really like firing my toy guns

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i like that the tutorial fight gives you the -dyne equivalent of curse and the enemy you're fighting has you eating agidynes as well

i mean, it makes sense, and its p obvious, but still

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I also was actually itching to buy a guide for this to use immediately as soon as I started my second playthrough and I found out nobody's making one

I wanted all the pretty art and design a game like this would have inspired in its guide too. A shame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I also was actually itching to buy a guide for this to use immediately as soon as I started my second playthrough and I found out nobody's making one

I wanted all the pretty art and design a game like this would have inspired in its guide too. A shame.

Unfortunately a guide would by necessity only be able to cover until July or else Atlus would ban it for showing off the game!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I was gonna name my MC with Lupin references but the game is already drowning in them.Touche.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Deified Data posted:

I was gonna name my MC with Lupin references but the game is already drowning in them.Touche.

Name him a Ghibli reference maybe?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The second palace is so much easier than the first that it's kinda surprising. Going through the first, I had to back out a couple of times because I was running on fumes, but on the second I'm halfway through and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to send a calling card on the next trip (which would make it the absolute minimum amount of days to beat it in.)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Vitamin P posted:

Mementos is such an effin' good addition thanks for dropping it on me right before anime exams game.

It was kind of frustrating because everyone keeps mentioning "exams are coming don't forget to study :supaburn: " but then like several days in a row you get forced to do story stuff and asscat won't let you do an all-nighter.

I just want to fake study in my fake Japan game damnit! :argh:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Another to think about is Shujin Academy is a pretty good prep school on paper, as well as being a powerhouse school in volleyball lately. Suddenly here comes a nasty crime boy who instantly becomes friends with the guy who assaulted a teacher last year.

So all these prep kids all are just broadsided with this seemingly group of punks forming at their upper class school because they're lovely prep kids

The teachers are the same way, thinking this delinquent is just here at a school way good for him

the first arc of Persona 5 is a dark mess and I'm enjoying it

Klisejo posted:

Y'all got anymore of them SPs?
extremely this

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hi guys this videogame is rad as gently caress.

Not being able to take screenshots and clips is loving garbage. I wanted to make 'Future-Mask Off' gifs that didn't involve flutes.

gently caress you atlus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I took a bunch of screenshots because all ps4s can just go through your pc.

WHAT YA GONNA DO ABOUT IT ATLUS???