Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Phyresis posted:

How exactly do pistols work in close combat? For example, a Dire Avenger Exarch with WS5 S3 I6 A2, armed with a shuriken pistol and a knife charges something.

You'd alternate hits between the pistol/knife, your choice of which you lead with. No sustained fire in combat, but no ammo checks either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

Terminator armor makes the wearer immune to pinning except for weapons S7 and above. Power armor should probably have done the same, but :shrug:

Power armor apparently does have some sort of pinning mod - at the start of a power armored model's turn, they can do an Initiative test to see if they can activate that turn, rather than waiting until the recovery phase. It's like the rule of having your buddy within 2 inches.

While I agree that power armor is pretty resilient stuff, it's not indestructible. You could get a lucky shot through an eye lens or joint, so some sort of pinning mechanic is warranted.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

glitchkrieg posted:

You'd alternate hits between the pistol/knife, your choice of which you lead with. No sustained fire in combat, but no ammo checks either.

If a fighter is armed with two pistols, can they alternate attacks between them even if they do not possess the Gunfighter skill or is there an explicit restriction against it?

I thought I saw some text that made plasma pistols use the low energy profile in close combat but i can't find it, can i fire that poo poo at max power in cc???

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Phyresis posted:

If a fighter is armed with two pistols, can they alternate attacks between them even if they do not possess the Gunfighter skill or is there an explicit restriction against it?

I thought I saw some text that made plasma pistols use the low energy profile in close combat but i can't find it, can i fire that poo poo at max power in cc???

Yes, Gunfighter is only for shooting. I've not seen the plasma pistol thing before but I don't have the SW rulebook (missed out on release, plus I'm skint from paying for two festivals this month), so I'm only going by Necromunda rules.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

Power armor apparently does have some sort of pinning mod - at the start of a power armored model's turn, they can do an Initiative test to see if they can activate that turn, rather than waiting until the recovery phase. It's like the rule of having your buddy within 2 inches.

While I agree that power armor is pretty resilient stuff, it's not indestructible. You could get a lucky shot through an eye lens or joint, so some sort of pinning mechanic is warranted.

I've not seen the core rulebook so don't have the rules for Power Armour, but surely this can't be the case because 'And They Shall Know No Fear' gives them the 'Nerves of Steel' ability like you're describing.

Unless this rule duplicates that effect in order to make it possible for Scouts to unpin even though they don't have power armour.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

I've not seen the core rulebook so don't have the rules for Power Armour, but surely this can't be the case because 'And They Shall Know No Fear' gives them the 'Nerves of Steel' ability like you're describing.

Unless this rule duplicates that effect in order to make it possible for Scouts to unpin even though they don't have power armour.

I was thinking of the Ability - I thought the armor generated it, rather than the wearer.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Crosspost

SteelMentor posted:

Looks like a separate release for the Shadow War rules is on the way, along with new factions.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/05/shadow-war-armageddon-rules-support/

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Why on Earth aren't they doing more runs of the game?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

That's pretty much perfect since all I really wanted was the rules and the terrain anyway.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Shadin posted:

That's pretty much perfect since all I really wanted was the rules and the terrain anyway.

Wasn't too excited about getting my millionth box of Orks, but so excited to get the rules now that my local store is extremely sold out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

glitchkrieg posted:

Why on Earth aren't they doing more runs of the game?

It's possible that they don't want another large box on retailer shelves? Also, it will take time to get another run out, and they might be afraid of losing the momentum. To be honest, I think people are mostly interested in 1) the rules; and 2) the terrain, so it's more worth their time just to get the rules out separately with the terrain that's already going to be available. I know if I had the choice between a $120 boxed game with minis and terrain I don't care about and a $25-ish rulebook, I'd much rather buy the rulebook.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Terrain is up for preorder Saturday.

Making a digital rulebook available and expanding the factions will please the gamers.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Yeah the main things from the box are the rules and terrain anyway. Unless thousands of people specifically want the game to play Ork vs Scout, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to keep a huge rear end box on the shelves like that. Especially since the terrain is priced reasonably and the box wasn't as big a savings like the HH ones.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am surprised they seem to be actually doing something about it, that's a positive sign. Getting the rules out on their own is really the big deal, as you can basically play it with all the 40k miniatures you already own (and in the case of Orks/Scouts/Guardians, never use).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pleasantly surprised by this. I was down at my FLGS on Monday to get some Shadow War games in to learn the rules. The owner seemed kind of down after being really excited about it the week before. He told me that his rep had told him that there were no plans to support Shadow War in the future. I guess GW really underestimated demand and are going to scramble to put out some support. Good. Shadow War is good and I want to continue playing it in the future.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm not really sure how much support you can give a game like this, especially once you put out lists for most, if not all, of the factions in the game, especially since all of the models used in the game are already in production and on the shelf. The expansion really comes from people playing campaigns. All I can see them doing is providing lists for and possibly re-releasing the old gangs. I really didn't expect much else from GW on this, other than the occasional WD mission.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
They already announced more faction lists, which is what the game needs. The rep seems to have old info.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

They can do a lot with specific campaign stuff for organized play, too. It's pretty minimal effort to do up a White Dwarf article sized booklet every six-eight months with new objectives, and base a couple around whatever new bit of terrain they want to sell.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Liquid Communism posted:

They can do a lot with specific campaign stuff for organized play, too. It's pretty minimal effort to do up a White Dwarf article sized booklet every six-eight months with new objectives, and base a couple around whatever new bit of terrain they want to sell.

This is basically what Mantic does with Deadzone. They've released two campaign packs for the game that take players through a specific series of missions (which can also be played individually), add new units, characters, and items, and promote new pieces of terrain. They even added in AI zombies, which could be later expanded to other AI rules if they wanted.

There really are limitless ways to promote a game aside from releasing a new box of miniatures every few weeks. The new miniatures only actually help the people who want to play a new faction and don't help invigorate the people who are happy with their team and want to find new ways to play.

GW actually kind of went this way with the new Blood Bowl and having "seasons" of Deathzone. But GW gotta GW and they just sold rules that were traditionally in the main box as the first "expansion", immediately souring a lot of people on the new edition.

This is why I've always been frustrated by the idea that GW has to invalidate or nerf old units because otherwise people would never buy new ones. People buy things that are cool regardless of if they need them and that never threatens to alienate your existing customers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

glitchkrieg posted:

I'm thinking of digging out some of the really old one-piece sculpts like the Slaanesh Champion and 80s as gently caress Noise Marine with a guitar - would work well for this month's oath too.

Agh, I wish I had that noise marine with guitar model. There's one on ebay right now for $40 but that feels a little high... hm.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is why I've always been frustrated by the idea that GW has to invalidate or nerf old units because otherwise people would never buy new ones. People buy things that are cool regardless of if they need them and that never threatens to alienate your existing customers.

the balance pendulum is a tried-and-true way to get players to buy "new" poo poo, it's the status quo in the mobile space for a reason - your addicts will bitch and whine but they'll open their wallets at the same time. it's not the only way to grow your market but it's not surprising that it's easy to find examples of GW pulling this poo poo. Privateer Press and other lovely trad games companies do it all the time, hell PP is strangling their own baby at this rate

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Phyresis posted:

the balance pendulum is a tried-and-true way to get players to buy "new" poo poo, it's the status quo in the mobile space for a reason - your addicts will bitch and whine but they'll open their wallets at the same time. it's not the only way to grow your market but it's not surprising that it's easy to find examples of GW pulling this poo poo. Privateer Press and other lovely trad games companies do it all the time, hell PP is strangling their own baby at this rate

Right, but addicts are going to buy this poo poo even when you blow up a universe and introduce reality balls. It's just frustrating that there are way better ways to get people to spend money and so few companies in the trad. games industry even attempt them.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Atlas Hugged posted:

Right, but addicts are going to buy this poo poo even when you blow up a universe and introduce reality balls. It's just frustrating that there are way better ways to get people to spend money and so few companies in the trad. games industry even attempt them.

Yeah, the problem is it's a niche-rear end industry, GW might pull in a couple hundred million a year (in revenue, their profit margin is not great), hell even WotC only makes a bit more than that - maybe three hundred? but everyone else is loving tiny and the big guys are awful at marketing for some reason - not just advertising, coming up with compelling new products, pricing schemes and sales campaigns - none of these clowns even know what the gently caress that means, as far as i can tell. i've been buying tiny metal men for decades now and it seems like the process hasn't evolved very much past "sculptor sculpts some poo poo up, they make a master, stand around it and stare at it until someone comes up with an arbitrary (and always absurdly high) price, they slap that sticker on the box, and off to the presses"

this necromunda "reboot" is the cutest thing i've seen gw do in a while, it's just genius. free money for very little effort, just boxing some terrain that they were cranking out anyway. they just make terrain every year they love it it must sell well at a good margin. i am fully expecting them to release kill team + terrain packs and poo poo like that real quick

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 6, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Agh, I wish I had that noise marine with guitar model. There's one on ebay right now for $40 but that feels a little high... hm.

Spellcrow can help you with that.

Phyresis posted:

this necromunda "reboot" is the cutest thing i've seen gw do in a while, it's just genius. free money for very little effort, just boxing some terrain that they were cranking out anyway. they just make terrain every year they love it it must sell well at a good margin. i am fully expecting them to release kill team + terrain packs and poo poo like that real quick

It's a great way to stretch a hand out to all the people who quit because life means they can't spend the time and money on full-size 40k armies as well, but who would paint up a few and push 'em around for an hour or two now and then if the opportunity was there.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 6, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, aside from going "HoR Kill Team is official now," this is a great way to drag people in. Want to start Grey Knights? Get 5 models! You probably won't even use them all!

And finally, there's a compelling non-HoR reason to buy metal Guardsmen or, God forbid, Forgeworld kits.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hopefully there's a Sisters list forthcoming, so they can note with *shock* that people play them and maybe consider a plastic squad release.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Liquid Communism posted:

Hopefully there's a Sisters list forthcoming, so they can note with *shock* that people play them and maybe consider a plastic squad release.

They did say they're working on making more army lists, so its *possible*

Daemons are also missing though, as well as rules for a few other sub-factions that people might want. So who knows what they're working on.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm pretty sure the new Custodes plastics are the official deathknell of SoB.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

they'll probably end up doing SoB and Daemons but there's a real good reason why they skipped them on the first pass: The actual (non special operative) model kits used for SW:A are all Troops choices, multi-part plastic kits with weapon options. Daemons don't even have weapons as such, you're probably about to compare Tyranid Warriors but those guys def have clearly defined weapons that are analogous to standard weapons. What are you supposed to do with Daemons? Break them up into four factions and then what? Pink Horror Gunners? What are they supposed to use for upgrades, half of the fun of Necromunda is kitting out your gang with oddball gear, and basically every weapon option in SW:A exists because there is an actual modelling option for that weapon in the plastic kit for that Fighter. I'm sure some of you more creative types could fill out a weapon (daemonic gift or whatever) list for Daemons as comprehensive as the ones for the existing factions but they won't have representative models (a dealbreaker in and of itself, it seems) and like really, are you gonna be making pink horror "heavy bolters" and poo poo? Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to fit the game concept, and what the hell do Daemons want with prometheum anyway? I can't even justify why Eldar and Tyranids want the stuff, it makes writing scenarios difficult

Sisters just don't have a multi-part plastic kit. If they did I'm sure it would be a dual or triple kit with Retributors and probably Dominions so it would have plenty of weapon options. They could have melta, flamer, storm bolter Special options and heavy flamer, multi-melta Heavy options, and whatever bullshit entirely new weapon type they'd inevitably add for them for this hypothetical full Codex release.

Custodes seem obvious to make

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Could see Daemons being done as Special Operatives for God specific Chaos lists. Guaranteed Death Guard will get a list when their new toys come out, ones for Daemonkin and Thousand Sons also likely.

Sisters are more likely than a pure Daemons list, if only because it'll pacify the die-hards that reply to every Facebook post the Community guys make with SISTERS WHEN.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

If they were smart they'd write up some Kill Team rules for upcoming infantry model kits (provided that they fit the theme and scope of SW:A) and stick a datasheet in the box. I'm positive that they'd sell a lot of models to people who would otherwise have passed on that wave entirely

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Chiming in to say that SWA is fun as poo poo and I am looking very much forward to customizing everything about every model.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Strobe posted:

Chiming in to say that SWA is fun as poo poo and I am looking very much forward to customizing everything about every model.

Finally a good reason to lovingly customize every Guardsman.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Years ago in college I played against a friend who had an army of Grey Knights. Because of the points cost, he had so few models he was able to customize every single one, and even went so far as to give each a name and unique back story.

I know that's nerdy as gently caress and super overkill, but I'm kinda excited about playing on that scale and being able to build stories with my dudes, rather than just having huge units of guys that tend to get dropped 3-4 at a time.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Years ago in college I played against a friend who had an army of Grey Knights. Because of the points cost, he had so few models he was able to customize every single one, and even went so far as to give each a name and unique back story.

I know that's nerdy as gently caress and super overkill, but I'm kinda excited about playing on that scale and being able to build stories with my dudes, rather than just having huge units of guys that tend to get dropped 3-4 at a time.

We're playing with tiny plastic barbies, no such thing as overkill. Having backstories for each guy is super awesome. There was this dude on AoS group who make an army booklet to give his opponents in a tournament, and it had short backstories for each of his Stormcast units.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

Could see Daemons being done as Special Operatives for God specific Chaos lists. Guaranteed Death Guard will get a list when their new toys come out, ones for Daemonkin and Thousand Sons also likely.
Yeah, deamons would fit perfectly as Special Operatives - they could really tear things up in CC.

I took a look last night, and the SWA rulebook alone is selling for $100 on Ebay. That is downright insane. Those buyers are going to choke on their vomit if GW releases the rules separately, especially if they do a free PDF.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They certainly pared down the Serious Injury table from NM:

Serious Injury Table (1d6)

1 - Dead... or Worse: 1-3 Dead; 4-6 Captured by enemy kill team, play Rescue Mission
2 - Head Wound: Gains Frenzy, misses next game
3 - Painful Recovery: Gains Hatred for member of enemy kill team, misses next game
4-5 - Full Recovery
6 - What Doesn't Kill You: Ready for next game, gains an advance from the Advance Table

Advance Table (2d6):

2-3: Hardy: Choose +1 Toughness or +1 Wound
4 - Fierce: Choose +1 Strength or +1 Attack
5-9 - Skilled: Generate a new Skill
10 - Quick: Choose +1 Initiative or +1 Move
11-12 - Deadly: Choose +1 Weapon Skill or +1 Ballistic Skill

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Haha awesome, you can actually start a new campaign with your vets from the last one, paying extra for skills of course.

It me, I will be the guy to start the second campaign with three models in a guard killteam.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a vid of Newcromunda with a history lesson at the start. Actual game content starts about 20 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vgoBnypDuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Irate Tree posted:

Here's a vid of Newcromunda with a history lesson at the start. Actual game content starts about 20 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vgoBnypDuQ

Ash is a little too talkative/energetic for me, but at least he's not MWG's Dave.

Strobe posted:

Haha awesome, you can actually start a new campaign with your vets from the last one, paying extra for skills of course.

It me, I will be the guy to start the second campaign with three models in a guard killteam.

The most veteran veterans, with near Grey Knight statlines.

berzerkmonkey posted:

They certainly pared down the Serious Injury table from NM:

Serious Injury Table (1d6)

1 - Dead... or Worse: 1-3 Dead; 4-6 Captured by enemy kill team, play Rescue Mission
2 - Head Wound: Gains Frenzy, misses next game
3 - Painful Recovery: Gains Hatred for member of enemy kill team, misses next game
4-5 - Full Recovery
6 - What Doesn't Kill You: Ready for next game, gains an advance from the Advance Table

Advance Table (2d6):

2-3: Hardy: Choose +1 Toughness or +1 Wound
4 - Fierce: Choose +1 Strength or +1 Attack
5-9 - Skilled: Generate a new Skill
10 - Quick: Choose +1 Initiative or +1 Move
11-12 - Deadly: Choose +1 Weapon Skill or +1 Ballistic Skill

Choose is fukken great.