Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I've just been informed Atlus had my family killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Saint Freak posted:

RIP

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Saint Freak posted:

anime girls aren't family, no matter how much you wish for it

sorry for ur lots

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
If only I had higher Proficiency to avoid their murderous intent.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oxxidation posted:

Do Japanese kids with a record really get branded the way the protag does in P5? I know that students are constantly walking a tightrope in that country where their education is concerned but holy poo poo the amount of hostility you encounter in the prologue is nuts.

The real question is if Japanese kids with a record get shipped off from their small town to Tokyo, one of the largest cities in the world, to live a mostly unsupervised life with a guy they've never met. In America it's usually they get shipped off to their cousin's lovely farm in the middle of nowhere.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah the best thing for a sociopath is isolation!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

TurnipFritter posted:

The real question is if Japanese kids with a record get shipped off from their small town to Tokyo, one of the largest cities in the world, to live a mostly unsupervised life with a guy they've never met. In America it's usually they get shipped off to their cousin's lovely farm in the middle of nowhere.

They do mention that Shujin Academy was basically the only school they could find that would take someone with a record.

Also I think my favorite thing about this game is that as soon as people get their persona they have the world's biggest slasher smile and are just so ready to gently caress poo poo up. Having a bunch of hosed up teens is a fun change of pace.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got confused with Shujin Academy because I thought the previews mentioned it was a school specifically for delinquents but I was very wrong

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The criminal justice system in Japan is kind of notoriously awful. I'm gonna assume it went from "I'll sue." to "I'm gonna get you locked up if you don't leave.", and it feels like it was implied that the guy was one of the "friends in high places" sorts.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He does say the police are his bitch.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Harlock posted:

He does say the police are his bitch.

And that he was "steering the country" so I assume he was some sort of high ranking politician

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm getting vibes of a Seven Deadly Sins theme for the main dungeons just from seeing the setup for Madarame... how on-the-money am I?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure of the exact quote since that happened like, 15 hours ago, I just knew there were some kind of implications there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm getting vibes of a Seven Deadly Sins theme for the main dungeons just from seeing the setup for Madarame... how on-the-money am I?

Yes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
There's a great documentary about the Japanese legal system on Steam

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's basically a targeted "yeah, we know Persona 4 takes an eternity to start" thing.

I think it kinda backfired, IMHO, as it makes the intro section even longer before the gameplay options open up.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
So the tip of using all available save slots on a rotation is good. I'm still in the bad habit of the ps1 days of using 1 save for 1 game because I only got 1 memory card and what is disposable income, hey mom can I have a dollar?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

People like to say so, but I haven't seen a convincing argument that it's not just a result of having a good variety of antagonists.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They do mention that Shujin Academy was basically the only school they could find that would take someone with a record.

Also I think my favorite thing about this game is that as soon as people get their persona they have the world's biggest slasher smile and are just so ready to gently caress poo poo up. Having a bunch of hosed up teens is a fun change of pace.

Their is one thing, ONE, that drives me crazy about the persona awakenings in this game and that is no PER SO NA.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I love Arsene's goddamn maniacal cackling so much

Feels good to have an inner super villain made manifest :allears:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

People like to say so, but I haven't seen a convincing argument that it's not just a result of having a good variety of antagonists.

I mean, Kamoshida's boss form is literally Asmodeus, the demon prince of lust. I haven't finished the second palace yet, but if the boss is Mammon, it's a pretty safe bet.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Why did Shujin Academy hire Senator Armstrong to teach me about how government works?

Also I finished the first dungeon and I have no idea what stats I should be focusing on, help pls.
My Guts is 2, so I think I should focus on Charm, because that's needed to take on the flower-shop job, which seems to be one of the few ways to up kindness regularly?
But I also feel like I should study for +Knowledge because exams gonna come up and I gotta make dat top of the class.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Does popularity lead to intimacy in this game

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Why did Shujin Academy hire Senator Armstrong to teach me about how government works?

Also I finished the first dungeon and I have no idea what stats I should be focusing on, help pls.
My Guts is 2, so I think I should focus on Charm, because that's needed to take on the flower-shop job, which seems to be one of the few ways to up kindness regularly?
But I also feel like I should study for +Knowledge because exams gonna come up and I gotta make dat top of the class.

I'm pretty sure you straight up can't make top of the class on new game. I devoted about 1/3 of my free time for the first month to knowledge and barely made rank 2 before exams.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

I mean, Kamoshida's boss form is literally Asmodeus, the demon prince of lust. I haven't finished the second palace yet, but if the boss is Mammon, it's a pretty safe bet.
I honestly don't remember if they follow a pattern like that, but if they do it's enough of a thematic stretch that I didn't notice that was what they were going for.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Zore posted:

Is it normal for high school coaches to talk about dating high schoolers in Japan.

... People seem to be treating this really lightly.

No, but Kamoshida isnt normal, hes an olympic medalist whos presence is single handedly making the school more prestegious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

No, but Kamoshida isnt normal, hes an olympic medalist whos presence is single handedly making the school more prestegious.

For some reason I thought he was a swim coach and figured he was only a medalist because his jaw parts the water before him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I honestly don't remember if they follow a pattern like that, but if they do it's enough of a thematic stretch that I didn't notice that was what they were going for.

It is exactly that. The boss he named is one of the bosses in the game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Meme Emulator posted:

It's basically like if Michael Phelps started teaching PE at some New York prep academy, and their swim team immediately became one of the best in the country

That school would probably ignore a lot of poo poo before it thought about getting rid of him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

And also if Michael Phelps were a giant piece of poo poo, which I don't think he is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As someone from Pennsylvania let me tell you about a little guy named Joe Paterno.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

JT Jag posted:

And also if Michael Phelps were a giant piece of poo poo, which I don't think he is

he smoked the devils lettuce tho

so hes real bad

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ImpAtom posted:

As someone from Pennsylvania let me tell you about a little guy named Joe Paterno.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Tell me about what the Sandusky palace would be like

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ramadu posted:

he smoked the devils lettuce tho

so hes real bad

If Kamoshida had just smoked a j before practice the school would have had him publicly executed without a second thought

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

slev posted:

No don't

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

slev posted:

Like Kanji's Midnight Channel but with children

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do not remind me. I had a sandusky apologizer in my class years ago and we don't live anywhere near Pennsylvania

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

slev posted:

Clowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tae posted:

Do not remind me. I had a sandusky apologizer in my class years ago and we don't live anywhere near Pennsylvania

A lot of people just dont want to believe that the people they have looked up to for a decade or more are actually scumbags. Fingers in ears. Its really not surprising that Kamoshida can get away with the poo poo he pulls.