Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
maybe they should have defended the open basket if they didn't want people to score on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

attackmole posted:

e: the photographers nailed this one

I think this is my favorite basketball picture since the Lebron-Wade alley oop, amazing.

https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/849461619004493824 Beal had a good one from last night as well.

Ishin fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 5, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So Brooklyn scored 141 while no individual player scored more than 16. What?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
All these great pics and espn.com is running with this very unflattering shot of Giannis on the home page.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hand Knit posted:

So Brooklyn scored 141 while no individual player scored more than 16. What?

I dunno but they're 7-10 and apparently believe they have a shot to surpass LA or Phoenix. But, they have to win out to do it. They have Orlando, Chicago, Boston, then Chicago again which at least in theory should only be one win. And plus I think LA and Phoenix probably each win another game on accident.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just wanna say Curry got away with one of the most obvious double dribbles I've ever seen

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thank you Knicks for actually playing well during the one game I was able to go to this year. Still upset KP sat though :(

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I literally cannot believe the Nets might win 20 games.

e: Like I expected them to be one of the worst teams ever. They are not even in the top 50 now! Also if they keep winning then they might lose their worst record status to the Suns which would be hilarious.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

maybe they should have defended the open basket if they didn't want people to score on it

Look, we all get that there is a code, an unspoken agreement that you don't score in these situations. On the other hand, it's also stupid and pointless because who gives a gently caress, you already lost, and getting all fired up about it is stupid. On the third hand (I have three hands, it's cool and I like it :) ) Lance, while a piece of actual poo poo, is a genius. If the Pacers make the playoffs and get Toronto at any point, he's already in their heads :tinfoil:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

I literally cannot believe the Nets might win 20 games.

e: Like I expected them to be one of the worst teams ever. They are not even in the top 50 now! Also if they keep winning then they might lose their worst record status to the Suns which would be hilarious.

They're probably not going to win out against Boston and Chicago x 2 so, no, I doubt they'll lose their worst record but it's pretty impressive nonetheless

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cool Buff Man posted:

They're probably not going to win out against Boston and Chicago x 2 so, no, I doubt they'll lose their worst record but it's pretty impressive nonetheless

Let me tell you about a Team called the Chicago Bulls.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Let me tell you about a Team called the Chicago Bulls.

I felt a little weird about talking about them like they're competent but I still think they can beat the Nets pretty easily. As long as Wade doesn't ever play again

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

DeimosRising posted:

Look, we all get that there is a code, an unspoken agreement that you don't score in these situations. On the other hand, it's also stupid and pointless because who gives a gently caress, you already lost, and getting all fired up about it is stupid. On the third hand (I have three hands, it's cool and I like it :) ) Lance, while a piece of actual poo poo, is a genius. If the Pacers make the playoffs and get Toronto at any point, he's already in their heads :tinfoil:

Lance with the long con.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I felt a little weird about talking about them like they're competent but I still think they can beat the Nets pretty easily. As long as Wade doesn't ever play again

Isn't that weird about Wade vs. the early season takes on him being a reinvented 3-pt shooting guy?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Big game tonight for my Celts.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

Big game tonight for my Celts.

I was going to say that TT not traveling with the team is a huge deal but boston is like the one team where that does not really matter so welp.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

TT isn't out yet, but if he is get ready for the Larry Sanders show imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BWV posted:

maybe I'm biased because Kermit comes across as one of the coolest people ever in "Breaks of the Game," but Rudy ran right into that punch and took it like a baby.

How was he supposed to take a punch that fractured his skull?

Keep in mind I agree that Rudy sorta deserved it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How the gently caress did I miss that. Rudy literally almost died for fucks sake.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Rudy belongs in the hall of fame, did nothing wrong, and deserves the endless respect of everyone itt.

This is my belly-pinch gate hill and I'll die on it

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Kermit threw the most perfect punch, textbook really.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I meant more about what happened after, not that he should've blocked it or something. Anyway, I'm obviously completely wrong and biased. I just love Kermit Washington so much that I'm fine being wrong and victim blaming. And it's easier to call out Rudy then write a long effort post about race, perception and NBA marketing in the 1970s

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Paul Zuvella posted:

How the gently caress did I miss that. Rudy literally almost died for fucks sake.

I was so mad about literal children trashing him for his role in something that happened before he was born, but I decided to pull my punch. Thank you Paul Zuvella

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

TT is out the next two. Larry Sanders recalled from Canton charge. Hope y'all ready for the real Larry Legend tonight :getin:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ITT people non-ironically blaming Rudy T for almost being killed.

:commissar:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Isn't that weird about Wade vs. the early season takes on him being a reinvented 3-pt shooting guy?

Wade did legitimately start out well but it's been a pattern for a while now that he falls off the rails the last 1/4 of the season even when he's getting routine rest all season long.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
And then he shot really really well in last year's playoffs. So who knows

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
What the gently caress:

quote:

Elam, a Mensa member, has devoted most of his spare time since 2004 to solving the slog of NBA crunch time. Oklahoma City's win was remarkable to Elam because the Thunder's deliberate fouling worked.

Elam has tracked thousands of NBA, college, and international games over the last four years and found basketball's classic comeback tactic -- intentional fouling -- almost never results in successful comebacks. Elam found at least one deliberate crunch-time foul from trailing teams in 397 of 877 nationally televised NBA games from 2014 through the middle of this season, according to a PowerPoint presentation he has sent across the basketball world. The trailing team won zero of those games, according to Elam's data.

(...)

He knew about the most common solutions: harsher penalties for intentional fouls, or allowing hacked teams to take the ball out of bounds instead of shooting free throws. (Others have suggested letting teams pick their foul shooter as a way of dissuading opponents from grabbing Dwight Howard types.) None of them presented trailing teams with a better alternative to fouling.

Elam landed on something more radical: eliminate the game clock from crunch time. Under Elam's proposal, the clock would vanish after the first stoppage under the three-minute mark in the NBA and the four-minute mark in NCAA games. Officials would establish a target score by taking the score of the leading team and adding seven points -- then restart the game without a clock. The team that reaches that target score first wins.

In simpler terms: If the Clippers lead the Jazz 99-91 when Rudy Gobert hacks DeAndre Jordan with 2:55 left, the game then becomes a race to 106 points. Utah must outscore the Clippers 15-6 to win.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19078511/zach-lowe-basketball-tournament-innovative-end-game-rule

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that's the stupidest proposed sports rule change I've ever heard and that includes baseball

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Reminder that MENSA is an egostroke that basically just requires your cheque to clear

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Reminder that MENSA is an egostroke that basically just requires your cheque to clear

Zach Lowe probably met the dude at their monthly meeting

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's not a terrible idea in theory, but could lead to some really weird strategies like teams resting guys until the threshold is met and then trying to stage a wild rally. I'm not sure.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/StevePoliti/status/849696611605393409

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gotta mention that Mensa membership to really give credibility to the middle school principal.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Libertine posted:

It's not a terrible idea in theory, but could lead to some really weird strategies like teams resting guys until the threshold is met and then trying to stage a wild rally. I'm not sure.
It's an absolutely terrible idea, in theory.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

At three minutes the shot clock drops to 20 seconds. At 2 it drops to 15. Inside a minute you have only ten seconds to take a shot. Intentional fouls are an automatic foul out.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Geez there's like five games left in the season and espn still got nothing better to do than to put up fan fics

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Whenever someone mentions they are in MENSA, it's a good idea to instantly ignore everything they say.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Geez there's like five games left in the season and espn still got nothing better to do than to put up fan fics

Meanwhile I'm rooting for the Knicks, Kings, Sixers, and Pelicans to win out. It's going to be a painful end of the season.

edit:
Let's all hope this game doesn't suck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3a_s0EIYsc

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 5, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mensa

Mensa

Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UO4jquAlY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

gently caress Andrew Bynum.

Andrew Bynum was funny. When he was engaged in a game he could pull down fifteen rebounds in a quarter like it was nothing.

Everyone has dismissed this idea too readily. The possibility of two trash offensive teams playing another half of basketball to reach some point total sounds :waycool:.

But I'd rather see the game clock not stop at two minutes and also no timeouts in the last three minutes of a quarter. Also, no timeouts right after a guy makes a 3P shot. And if anyone does an obvious intentional foul they get fined $25,000. That's all really. Shame about all the commercials we'll miss.

Also, they should probably turn the NBA draft into a straight lottery. Too much shameful tanking going on.

:lol:

• Locked thread