Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

TBH I think this girl saw tons of youtube videos and tumblr posts from American LGBTQ people coming out to their parents and feels like she's been robbed of the experience, now that most of her culture views coming out as gay as being about as edgy as coming out as straight

Is it really safe to be running a projector this hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mirthless posted:

Coming out wasn't a huge risk for her and that should have been obvious.

Zzulu posted:

not to an accepting dad it aint

Agreed, but you don't necessarily know how accepting or not they will be until its too late and you're out. Especially when you're a dumb, scared teenager.

WampaLord posted:

I think the girl just wanted a hug and a "I love you and accept you no matter what" and maybe a bit of quality time with her dad, but he apparently considers doing that women's work so Father of the Year it is.

Yeah, I don't think she wanted drama. Just active acceptance rather than ambivalence.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm disappointed that the OP didn't even seem to try to eject her mom from the party.

unfortunately loads of kids in abusive households learn to just stay the hell out of the line of fire from an early age when there's nothing else they can do, even when that means standing by and pretending nothing is happening while their siblings get ripped into

there is a happy ending, though

quote:

So my original post didn't get much attention, but I got some assistance! Thanks to those who helped. <3
So I finally got ahold of Rain after a surprisingly short amount of time. Apparently, this was normal behaviour displayed by mom to her when we were growing up. My brother (15M) and I never noticed it, but we understand now. Better late than never, I guess :/

I talked to Rain and offered my support. She appreciated it, and we had a really deep conversation. I found out a lot of really terrible poo poo that mom had done to her, and it is pushing me closer to moving out. The only thing stopping me is fear of my mother and for my brother, honestly. I think that's understandable, though.

Thankfully, I learned that Rain is in therapy and getting help. She said it really helps, but mom's comments are still hurtful and offensive, that's why she cried. I told her to not worry, because showing emotion is just part of being human.
Rain is also planning on helping fund my move-out when my friends and I can find a place. She and I both want me out of that toxic environment. What mom did and has done to Rain makes me literally nauseous. I may be overreacting, but it's bad to me.

Thanks so much for all the help! This update is kinda scattered cuz it's been a weird couple of days haha.

TL;DR, Talked to sister, offered support. Learned mom has done horrid things to her, felt bad for not noticing before. Planning to move out of this toxic environment, sister has offered to fund my move out when I'm ready. All is well. <3
EDIT: Thanks for the support guys. I'll try to respond to comments, but I'm super busy trying to get my affairs in order at the moment. If I don't reply immediately, I apologise!

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 5, 2017

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Mirthless posted:

haha, right? my mom's attempt to address my queerness was "If you want to take dance lessons, I'll support you"

My mum spent 5 minutes being mildly uncomfortable and then the very next weekend started trying to set me up with her friend's daughter, because a Jewish mother's desire to marry her kids off to doctors is the most powerful force in the universe apparently.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dienes posted:

Yeah, I don't think she wanted drama. Just active acceptance rather than ambivalence.

Dad wasn't ambivalent at all. He hasn't expressed anything negative about her coming out.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Rain's a rather odd choice for a fake name

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm disappointed that the OP didn't even seem to try to eject her mom from the party.

They don't teach you how to have a spine in college.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

bamhand posted:

Dad wasn't ambivalent at all. He hasn't expressed anything negative about her coming out.

uh
e: gently caress it, you're right.
but still he seems pretty unfazed by it and that's not probably not what she was looking for.

sout fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

new phone who dis posted:

Dude needs to eject on his wife before he ends up accused of molestation. He better get ahead of that one and get her craziness on paper somewhere or poo poo could get real bad for him.

She's gonna accuse him of it during the ejection anyway. Dude is hosed.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dude needs to start wearing a GoPro on his head 24/7.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fortunately it's not the 1980s and if dude is proactive about getting ahead of it he probably won't literally be imprisoned solely on his crazy wife's testimony that he flies around the house raping babies and feeding them to lions for Satan or whatever

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bamhand posted:

I think the word they wanted was aloof or distant.

I don't know why this has been a 3 page conversation. All anyone is saying is that the girl is mad because his reaction in the moment was basically nothing, the girl was clearly looking for a little more than "oh okay" and then back to not paying attention to her in that moment. He's not some bigoted monster or anything, he just misjudged the situation and made a mistake. He seems to be actively working to rectify it by being welcoming and poo poo afterwards so they're all probably going to be fine. Even accepting people with good intentions can make mistakes people.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Gloryhold It! posted:

Rain's a rather odd choice for a fake name

this was also the first thing I thought until two paragraphs in saw "she's​ Wiccan, just like me" and it made sense

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ouhei posted:

I don't know why this has been a 3 page conversation. All anyone is saying is that the girl is mad because his reaction in the moment was basically nothing, the girl was clearly looking for a little more than "oh okay" and then back to not paying attention to her in that moment. He's not some bigoted monster or anything, he just misjudged the situation and made a mistake. He seems to be actively working to rectify it by being welcoming and poo poo afterwards so they're all probably going to be fine. Even accepting people with good intentions can make mistakes people.

Welcome to the internet, where everything is made up and intentions don't matter.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ouhei posted:

Ugh, not everything has to be soooo dramatic!

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
He's a British man of a certain age who is also a father. His muted reaction is fairly normal given that.

And since that Rain story was so depressing, let's have some low level pettiness:

Brother Wedding is day before 1st Anniversary, is it reasonable to be upset?

quote:

u/AnniversaryTrouble
Hey Reddit!

My wife and I (both 30) just got married last year. We were looking forward to our 1st anniversary, but now my brother​ (24) just scheduled his wedding for the day before. It's a shock because last I heard he wasn't even planning on getting married until next year. We live fours away so now we'll be spending alot of our anniversary driving and unpacking.

He then asks if I can be co-bestmen with my other brother. My wife and I both used all our vacation time for our honeymoon this year so we can't take any additional time off for me to even do any best man duties or go to the rehearsal, which I told him. I would have loved to be there for everything, but now I can't and it all is just frustrating.

To be fair to him, his fiancee's (24) parents are paying for most of the wedding and they chose that date for them because it was the cheapest Saturday they could get. So it's not malicious, but I feel slighted against here, while my wife is straight up furious.

This is my brother's first girlfriend, they've been together for a year and half. Neither of us are a fan of her. They still live with their parents, neither has ever had a real job.

Then, there's my mother. She is clearly on his side and brought up disappointment in our eloping that they said previously they were cool with. She then slyly insinuated that my wife made that decision on her own and my anger now is just appeasing my wife. I don't even know how to handle that one.

Am I being unreasonably angry or is it justified? Any advice on how I should approach talking to my family would be most appreciated.

TLDR: Brother scheduled wedding out of nowhere day before anniversary. Can't take off any more time to be his best man and now have to spend our anniversary driving back home from the wedding. Are my wife and I justified in being angry about this?

Thanks!

The eloping is some what of a buried lede. If you elope, people are probably not going to think about your wedding date too much.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Werong Bustope posted:

a Jewish mother's desire to marry her kids off to doctors is the most powerful force in the universe apparently.
I laughed way too hard at this.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Milotic posted:

Brother Wedding is day before 1st Anniversary, is it reasonable to be upset?

No.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

:eyepop:

My (22F) boyfriend (26M) wants to be homless and is unsure if he can compromise and live a normal life with me

quote:

I knew this day was coming where I would have to make this decision and I would really appreciate feedback from you all. Im sorry this is so long.

My boyfriend has always been into a very alternative lifestyle, and I dipped my toes and tried it out. After living with eachother for 2 years in an apartment, he was determined to never pay rent again. We bought an RV together and have lived in it for a year in Washington. I was excited about it at first but it is not the lifestyle I want.

For a year we have lived on the side of the road outside his work. We have a loud gas generator for power. We pee in jugs and dump them at night. We poop at mcdonalds or the grocery store. We illegally dump our trash. We keep cold food in a cooler with ice. No hot water. No internet. It is just as expensive as our apartment was (gas, insurance, repairs) and we still live paycheck to paycheck at minimum wage jobs (about $2,000 a month, him making more than I do, and we both went to college) Although the RV is cozy/cute, I have never been happy this way and get very stressed and cry often about my life situation that I know I dont have to be in. I feel like it is more his home and dream and I am just tagging along playing poverty. I am insanely jealous of my friends with apartments. But I really love being with my boyfriend (and his cat that I am completely in love with) and have stuck it out. I want to build a life together and to be honest I am waiting for him to change and be OK with a regular life which I know I am not supposed to do. At the same time I think he is waiting for me to be OK with being homeless.

Recently we quit our jobs and moved to oregon with some savings. I keep thinking we are finding a place to settle down and we apply for rv parks and jobs. But then he wants to move onto another place, and i get confused and cry and we decided on a new city. Now we are in portland and he got a job and I was applying for rv parks and jobs too. Yesterday in the car he said he will work at this job 2 weeks and then we should move to another city. I was so confused, I thought we had decided on portland. After lots of talking I found out he was just playing along with finding a new town but actually wants to never get a long term job or live in an rv park.

Last night we really talked about what we want for the future and there was a lot of crying and we are not sure what to do. He wants to take it more extreme and I want to tone it down.

I want to improve our lifestyle. I want a better paying job in an office that I stay at long term. I want to save money to try and retire early and have money for emergencies. I want an apartment. Or to atleast get rv hookups in a nice park and have a yard and one day get a plot of land we can call our own. I need the basic first world ammenities like a toilet lol. I want internet. I want to 'get my life together'

He wants to go full hobo and have no job. He is happy with doing odd jobs for small money and asking for money on the side of the road. He does not care for a safety net or saving money. Or hot water. He hates planning for the future, and wants to be able to vagabond anywhere at any moment. I think he loves the survival aspect, he grew up in alaska getting bucket water from a well every day. He loves me and wants me to do it with him but im not comfortable in this lifestyle.

If I ask him if he can compromise he says he is unsure what he wants. He says maybe he can be happy living somewhere steady with a job for as long as a year but he is not sure and will not give me a straight answer. He says he doesn't know if he can stay in a city without trying it out first, and he doesn't want to get 'stuck there'. I cant build my life around maybe I am very frustrated that he can't decide what he wants. He is making it entirely up to me to decide it seems. I guess my options are move out and live the lifestyle I want, or keep doing his version of compromise maybe we can kind of try to settle down somewhere but not sure what he wants, and I will follow him around thing?? I am definately not going to be able to do the full hobo no job at all life. He is not giving me a straight answer on if he even wants to compromise by getting a job or living in an rv park. I ask for a straight answer and he says "I cant give you that."

If I do move out I have good options, I can move back in with my parents on the other side of the US in Texas and they will support me until I am on my feet. They have offered many times and have even offered to support him while he gets on his feet (they are very worried about me living this way) but he doesn't want to obviously and used to get angry if I even brought it up. And I love daydreaming about an apartment close to my family. but he does not think he can do a long distance relationship :( help please

edit: I feel like this is something I need to do and I think it will be hard but I can do it. I feel so bad about the circumstances though. If I leave, he will have no car to get to his current job an hour away and no way to bring parts home to fix the rv which is what we are currently doing. It is currently immobile and we were waiting for parts before this conversation happened. He has been using my car to do everything. I feel really bad putting him in this situation he is still my best friend :(

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That woman needs to cut and run

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

That guy needs to buddy up with sword husband for the slacker stoner comedy of the year

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holy poo poo, that poor girl. Why would you stick with this dude? You don't have a toilet for gently caress's sake.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My best friend [20F] just came out as lesbian. Now my parents and siblings are pressuring me [21F] to come out and embarrassed me at family Christmas get together

So, is OP gay or not? That seems like a vital point of info to leave out.

E: beaten, apparently. I just want to know how how schadenfreude I should be experiencing.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 5, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sometimes there is hidden gold in the comments as well;

quote:

I've dated a man who wanted to live this way, and it was hell. He berated me for caring about my education and wanting to pursue my dreams. He wanted to take care of a baby while WALKING from Texas to ALASKA. He thought the earth was flat, and it was his dream to travel to the edge of the earth.

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, is OP gay or not? That seems like a vital point of info to leave out.

Looks like it

quote:

It did hurt a lot because I have struggled with depression and confusion over my sexuality

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

My favorite posts are when someone fucks up a good thing by acting crazy over nothing (see: paternity tests and people who accuse their partners of cheating on them with blood relatives)

Falsely Accused my Husband of . Please help!!!! (29F 30M 2 years married 6 years together)

quote:

Sorry there's a mistake in the title. We've been married for 2 months, not 2 years.

I have really terrible insecurity issues. My husband has never given me any reason not to trust him and I'm still paranoid. He tells me everyday that he's the luckiest guy in the world (even though that's not true) and after 6 years I still have trouble believing him. I don't know what's wrong with me. I love and care about him so much. It's not even funny.

Here's a quick rundown of what happened.

I was snooping through my husband's text messages because I'm a paranoid and insecure bitch. I found a message thread with someone named "Jenny K". He's never mentioned a Jenny before. There weren't many messages (the thread was only 3 days old) but I was shocked and disgusted when I read them. These are what the messages were like:

Jenny: Are you excited to finally text me???

Husband: You bet! :)

Husband: I miss you so much! I promise I'll bring a ton of presents next weekend!

Jenny: Yay! I love you!!!! You're the best

Husband: I love you too. Sleep tight!

It was his 11 year old niece. He showed me the presents and he even called the number to tell her good night. The worst part is he actually told me about texting his niece beforehand (although he never called her jenny). He even showed me one her texts (it was a picture of her new bookshelf). I guess my brain decided to take a dump or something.

Once I read the messages I instantly pulled my husband over and started yelling at him. I shouted until my throat hurt and I told him that I wanted a divorce. I called him some terrible things. I told him that I never loved him. I told him that he was the most despicable person I've ever met. He started yelling back and once he proved that Jenny really was his niece (I didn't notice the message where she called him her uncle) I felt like a complete bitch. He spent the night at his friend's house and he told me he needs to re-evaluate our marriage. I'm panicking so hard right now. I can't believe I messed this up. I can't lose him. He's the most amazing person I've ever met. I can't let our marriage end like this. Please help.

tl;dr: Messed up by falsely accusing my husband of infedelity. Messed up by snooping through his stuff.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

an art history major, driving a Subaru (WTF?), and dressing "gay".

Sell the Subaru and buy a jeep to throw them off

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Werong Bustope posted:

My mum spent 5 minutes being mildly uncomfortable and then the very next weekend started trying to set me up with her friend's daughter, because a Jewish mother's desire to marry her kids off to doctors is the most powerful force in the universe apparently.

Startlingly accurate.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

drat. I was really hoping it would be a straight as gently caress girl now officially gay to her friends and family.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

I called him some terrible things. I told him that I never loved him. I told him that he was the most despicable person I've ever met.

Pretty hard to come back from this, even if they smooth this spat over.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

My favorite posts are when someone fucks up a good thing by acting crazy over nothing (see: paternity tests and people who accuse their partners of cheating on them with blood relatives)

Falsely Accused my Husband of . Please help!!!! (29F 30M 2 years married 6 years together)

"I can't let our marriage end like this!" --Person who purposely went out of their way to completely obliterate their marriage for no reason.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Catching up again, but about the dude who ditched his baby and ran: My sister was once in a crisis situation wherein some lady handed her a baby and ditched. Didn't know her, and she came back to reclaim the baby after all was said and done. So it absolutely does happen. :psyduck:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

COMRADES posted:

I thought she was being pretty hard on herself at first but by the end I agreed with her self assessment.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Danaru posted:

"I can't let our marriage end like this!" --Person who purposely went out of their way to completely obliterate their marriage for no reason.

some people just get this insecurity tic in their brain based on absolutely nothing (beyond moderate mental illness) and spend their entire relationships terrified of being lied to or cheated on and uh this usually kills the marriage especially if you accused your husband of loving his niece and screech at him that you never loved him

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm [23 M/F] having some trouble trusting my bf [25 M/F] after a couple 'kinky activities'.

quote:

So. I'll try to keep this short. Anyway, for a while my boyfriend and I (of 2 years) had a 'once a month open kink' thing. Basically, we took turns suggesting a kink we were kinda shy to bring up once a month that the other person couldn't out right deny.
It started off fairly innocent I guess with stuff like dress up, role play, oral while he was gaming. Some have been one timeBut, last month he said that he wanted to watch me have sex with another guy. At first I was pretty hesitant. But, eventually agreed...
We discussed who we wanted it to be. If it was a random or someone we knew. Eventually he suggested one of his friends. I agreed. The night came, we had sex, bf watched. Overall it was fine. Figured it was done. Later BF mentioned that he really enjoyed it and wanted to do it again. Same friend. Total, I've had sex with his friend 3x so far while my bf watched. I've been fine with it for the most part.
My bf seems kinda distant since it has started though. Like, I don't feel like we have the same connection as before. Also, over the weekend I got an anonymous text that basically said "Friend's Name paid for the sex". So now, I've got all these ideas that the only reason my bf wanted to watch me have sex is because the guy paid him for it...
So now I'm all confused. Kinda hurt. They were both supposed to keep it quiet, so at the least one of them told someone. And I don't know what to do.
tl;dr Had sex with bf's friend per his request. Friend may have paid money for sex with me...
Edit. It isn't an issue with consent. We could always say no. It was more of a "take the request seriously". I turned down stuff and so did he.
Did you take part in this because you wanted to or did you just do it because you thought it would make your bf happy?
It wasn't something I would have brought up myself. But, I was curious and did want to try it. Overall, I did enjoy it.

Update

quote:

Previous post here
So, I confronted my bf about the text. Asked him to explain. He said he had no idea and wanted to get to the bottom of it. We drove over to visit his friend. We got there, asked him if he knew that number and he did. Turns out it was his 14/15 year old brother. So they went to talk to the brother, who apparently had read through the friend's phone and saw the conversations about what we were doing between the brother, him, and I. He thought it would be "funny" to text me the stuff about the money.
They talked to him about how that was hosed up and privacy of people's phones (apparently he's looked through the friend's phone before).
They both offered to let me look their their phones at what they've been saying to each other for the past couple months to prove that there has never been any talk of money or anything like that. I did and most of their conversations were fairly boring and typical of friends. The only bits about "me" were the initial conversation seeing if there would be interest and stuff like that. Otherwise, we discussed it in group text.
On the way home I asked bf about his distance and basically he said he's just been having a lovely time at school/work/holiday slump. His parents are divorced and are basically fighting over who gets him for thanksgiving. He said he didn't want to bring it up because he didn't want to dampen my mood. I basically said it wouldn't and I like talking about feelings and our moods. He apologized and said he'd do better.
Thanks for everyone who replied to the original thread, you all were a lot of help.
tl;dr. not being pimped out. phone number was a nosy brother.

Oh good I'm glad he'll do better and be more into the cucking

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fullhouse posted:

some people just get this insecurity tic in their brain based on absolutely nothing (beyond moderate mental illness) and spend their entire relationships terrified of being lied to or cheated on and uh this usually kills the marriage especially if you accused your husband of loving his niece and screech at him that you never loved him

I'm gonna say it's 40% mental illness 60% soap operas and r/relationships coaching the mentally ill that vague discontent should always conclude in a huge dramatic season finale blowout as soon as a potential excuse presents itself

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 5, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

COMRADES posted:

Medication or bust.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

quote:

Once I read the messages I instantly pulled my husband over and started yelling at him. I shouted until my throat hurt and I told him that I wanted a divorce. I called him some terrible things. I told him that I never loved him. I told him that he was the most despicable person I've ever met. He started yelling back and once he proved that Jenny really was his niece (I didn't notice the message where she called him her uncle) I felt like a complete bitch. He spent the night at his friend's house and he told me he needs to re-evaluate our marriage. I'm panicking so hard right now. I can't believe I messed this up. I can't lose him. He's the most amazing person I've ever met. I can't let our marriage end like this. Please help.

BPD is a hell of a drug.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fullhouse posted:

I don't understand why people do this. Not the saying horrible things to each other or being insecure part, but the "burn all my bridges by resorting to retroactive attacks" part. Where the hell did her mind go that somehow she thought saying "I never loved you, and in effect, our entire relationship was a lie all along!" was a good idea?

Neophyte posted:

BPD is a hell of a drug.

oh, right.

:cripes:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Remember that forum for people who married people with autism? Well..

I'm getting sick of my [29F] husbands [33] self centred attitude and his lack of empathy.

quote:

We've been together for 7 years and married for 1.5. We make each other so happy which is probably why I thought we could work through anything together but I'm beginning to doubt this.

Mark is socially awkward and has mild (high functioning) Aspergers. This is not an excuse for his behaviour but we struggled in the beginning due to his lack of empathy/sympathy towards anyone. He tried though. He tried to understand. he tried to offer support although it often felt forced and fake but I was happy he at least tried to be there for me when I needed him.

My family has been going through a rough patch. My nephew (8 months old) has just been diagnosed with congenital brain abnormalities (though theyre not even sure what it is so technically its not even a diagnoses) that was apparently evident at birth however they failed to inform anyone of this nor did they follow anything up. Theres a huge mess with the hospital and legal sides of things as my brother spent the last 7 months trying to figure out why the baby wasn't gaining any weight and why he was crying so much.

They performed TONS of expensive medical tests over the last several months. My brother wasn't in a great financial position to begin with so this placed a pretty big stress on them.

I'm in a great position financially, have a great job all that stuff and I can afford to help them which is what I decided to do. I discussed it with Mark. I wanted to get a second opinion from a specialist as I don't trust the hospital as far as I can throw them. I told mark that I wanted to cover the cost of the second specialist and extras and if surgery was needed, Id step up too.

I was also really upset emotionally when I discovered the news. Mark couldn't understand why I was upset. Nor why I would want to financially help my brother. He "reminded" me that the baby wasn't mine so why care?. I reminded him that he was an rear end in a top hat (excuse my French) to think that the baby had to be mine for me to love him.

He then proceeds to tell me that he hopes we don't have a "child like that" together as hes sure I'd be hysterical and cry in front of everyone and he wouldn't know what to do and doesn't think he could comfort me.

Later on he tells me that since I'm going to be wasting my money by giving it away, he was going to be buying more coins on his game. Now Mark spent over 400 on a game that's basically free to use. He spends money to buy items in the game. Its a simple phone game. I wasn't thrilled with this news and had previously asked him to please not do that. I have no issues with him purchasing video games and he has a tone of that but spending so much money to buy coins in a mobile game just didn't sit right with me.

So he used this opportunity to basically tell me that he gets to do what he wants since Ill be spending my money doing something I want.

Now in theory that may all be fine but this isn't me going out to buy a shoe ffs! I cant believe he would use this in such a callous and thoughtless manner. His actions through out this entire thing has been terrible.

I'm beginning to resent how he acted with the baby too. Because the baby cried so much, my brother and SIL was basically drained as they couldn't sleep. I offered to look after the baby from time to time to give them a break and during these times, mark would lock himself in the room with loud music to tune out the baby. He would have a huge attitude with me as to why I wanted to look after a baby that wasn't mine (he was never forced to look after the baby with me, could do his own thing outside the house and I tried explaining to him the reasons for why I wanted
to do this but I think he just isn't ever going to get it)

I remember all the negative poo poo he would say about the baby and it makes my blood boil. I know this anger is misdirected but I just cant handle Mark.

His values are so beyond different to mine that I don't think he'll ever understand why I do things. In theory he says he gets it. When I tell him how hurt I am by things, he takes a step back and tries to support me and acts like he gets it but clearly he doesn't.

I think I want to leave him but its so hard because I know he will make promises to do better (I tried breaking up with him before due to his lack of empathy) but I just don't know if hes capable of doing better. I cant risk having a child with him. I don't want my kids to grow up and be like
Mark. Someone who only cares about his needs and is incapable of showing a single drop of compassion towards others. It scares me. I know its terrible but it scares me.

I'm emotional from everything that has happened so maybe I'm jumping the gun too fast, id love to hear what you guys think.

In particular, people who might be similar to Mark, did you guys change ? and if so what worked for you ?

tl;dr: I'm married to a selfish, self centred guy who doesn't care about anyone but himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Time for another romp through /r/childfree! It's like the reddit mock thread equivalent of turning a game onto easy mode. It took less than a minute to strike gold

Don't feed the trolls (rant)

quote:

Disclaimer This is petty as gently caress and maybe I am just easily triggered but I had to rant to you guys.

I have an Instagram account and over a year ago I posted this photo. I'm playing video games last night when I see I received a notification that someone commented on my photo so of course I get excited whenever someone leaves a comment. I open the notification to see that someone had commented on the photo the following:

"But you ride a motorcycle?"

Now I assume that he was pointing out the fact that I am making a statement about how getting a vasectomy reduces your carbon footprint but I am apparently a hypocrite for riding a motorcycle that releases emissions. I deleted the comment, because I absolutely refuse to engage a random loving twit that wants to troll me, but here is my response if I did choose to respond:

First off, to people that don't know, a lot of motorcycles are capable of getting up to 50 miles per gallon if you ride them right, so yes, I am still cutting down on emissions. But secondly, I also drive a car most of the time during the year because I live in the midwest, so, naturally I pollute the environment with the emissions from that vehicle also.

But just by me existing and being a human on this earth, I create pollution, garbage, waste, litter, the list goes on and on. My mere existence contributes to poisoning this earth whether any of us want to admit it or not. Even if you chose to live in the wild for the rest of your life living on nothing but the land, you still have to exploit the resources of the environment to survive.

My point in the post was to say that choosing to not have kids will at least cut down on your carbon foot print, because every single time another child is born, it's contributing to that environmental degradation. It's just a fact of life that people choose to ignore.

Thanks for listening to my petty rant...I just had to get it off my chest and I'm not going to waste my time arguing with someone I don't even know who is trying to get me angry.

"Someone called me out on my douchey instagram post so I immediately ran here to avoid having to defend myself :qq:"

Why can't we go first? WE HAVE CHILDREN!!!!

quote:

Hello, all! I love lurking on this thread and when this happened I immediately thought of you all.

Yesterday, I flew home from a nice little west coast getaway. This was our first time flying Southwest (who use first come first serve seating). I really am not a good flyer. I always try to sit in the front because it feels a lot less bumpy to me. My friend who travels on SW a lot recommended I pay $15 extra for early check in (so that I get on the plane earlier and can grab a seat towards the front).

To my disappointment, even with the early check in we ended up in the B group (instead of the A group). Eh, no huge deal. Well we get to the gate and there are SO many families (the flight had continuing service to Orlando).

Well, the A group boarded and we got ready to get on. Then, they allowed families to board. At least 25 mom, dads, and kids got on the plane before the B group.

I was really annoyed. We paid extra money to board early, but all those people got to go first??

Got on the plane, and had to sit pretty far towards the back (it was so bumpy). The parents in front of us (who had 2 little kids who yelled and fought for most of the flight) were complaining to the flight attendant that the A group got to board before them.
What. The. Hell.

If it is so important for your family to get on the plane early, PAY THE EXTRA MONEY. There are billions of other parents on the planet. You are not special.

Bonus Story: Over Oklahoma I guess there were storms, so the seatbelt sign was on because it was bumpy. Still this little 2 year old was by himself skipping up and down the aisle. The bumpiness got worse, the captain asked the flight attendants to take their seats. The kid STILL never sat down. It would have been funny to see the parents try and blame the flight attendants or the airline if little pookie had gotten hurt.

Admittedly I don't fly often, but I've never heard of an airline just letting you pick your seats if you get on first, it's always been printed right on my ticket. Even regardless it's pretty blatant stdh

Yes, I'm a "scary lady"...

quote:

My mother had guests in the living room, they brought their 5-year-old son. Suddenly, the kid opened my bedroom door and looked around. I stopped playing my game and looked at him with my resting b!tch face, listening to metal in the background. He quietly closed the door and left. Then he asked my mother "Who's the scary lady in that room?" I almost died laughing! Scaring kids with my face feels like a superpower! :P

Hey! I made a meme

:jerkbag: