Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I picked "Arsene" for a name before I realized that the persona you get is the same. It's hilarious now though because my MC is constantly screaming his own name as he attacks

"WHO DO YOU THINK I AM?! ARSENE, ATTACK!"

I had this exact same problem before I thought maybe I'd go deeper and name him Leblanc but the game already used all the useful Lupin references.

So Aleph (my go-to name for all SMT protags) Zenigata it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Moltrey posted:

how is no one talking about the biggest translation issue with this game that makes the script loving garbage.....

they're finally calling Pyro Jack "Jack O' Lantern" now and i don't like it.....

i noticed this and said out loud oh what the gently caress

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I really hope the costume sets see some sort of 50 - 75% off sale down the line. $2 to $3 for a cosmetic only set of costumes and soundtrack I could see and would even collect multiples. $6.99? Blugh.

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
I'm only 4 hours in, but I'm mad about the translation because the game oozes personality, from the music, to the art, to the fifty luscious UI animations that play when you move a cursor, but everyone talks like a robot. Like, the game parades a line of cartoonishly shitbag teachers at you, but not one of them is as instantly memorable as a bit character like Morooka.

The VAs do a good job with what they have, but I'm worried the stiff script means there won't be a standout performance like Troy Baker's Kanji. And for a game that makes you X through 4 hours of dialogue and tutorials before you can even fuse a thing, I feel like that's kind of a big deal.

Still enjoying it though. Looking forward to turning Kamoshida into a drooling vegetable but I dunno if the game'll keep me away from Horizon Zero Dawn as tightly as I thought it would.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You're four hours into an 80 hour rpg. You were barely able to reach Chie at this point in P4.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sea Sponge Run posted:

except he didn't say yoroshiku onegaishimasu

Did he not? "Please Take care of me" is one of those bad 'find and replace' translations for yoroshiku so I just assumed thats what it must have been.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally brat the first palace, I'm amazed anyone managed to do it in one day, it took me four including calling card day, it's a lot more punishing on normal than i remember either 3 or 4 being.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lucas Archer posted:

Just got through the marathon of cutscenes and introductory stuff, about to head into the first palace as a full group of three.

I don't like the heavy undercurrent of misogyny that's been prevalent so far. I know we're meant to see these adults as complete and utter jerks (every single one, it seems), but it gets really unnecessary and blatant at times. There was the one conversation between the two students about Ann, how you don't "mess with Kamoshida's bitch" or something like that. What the hell was the point of that little scene? The player already knows the rumors about Ann and Kamoshida, so having that scene and lines shoved in there just seems over the top.

The point is that ijime, bullying in japanese schools, is very common and this game is taking aim at that. The relentless rumor-mongering is a part of it.

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force

Tae posted:

You're four hours into an 80 hour rpg. You were barely able to reach Chie at this point in P4.

im sorry but ive been waiting four hours for a best girl and ann is not she!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MyLoathsomeCowboy posted:

im sorry but ive been waiting four hours for a best girl and ann is not she!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you one of those First Girl, First Take people

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sakurazuka posted:

Finally brat the first palace, I'm amazed anyone managed to do it in one day, it took me four including calling card day, it's a lot more punishing on normal than i remember either 3 or 4 being.

totally doable in one day if you use the soma item you get and also really abuse AOA autokills

the latter half is definitely a bit rough, especially the four kelpies that pop up; if you don't have zio or are out of SP, they'll just keeping summoning dudes while hitting for like 50 a swing, lmao

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
persona 4 had an impeccable TTBG (time-to-best-girl) rank with only ~30 minutes to trial of the dragon and 5 has a lot of catching up to do

edit: on second thought, lawyer lady has potential but she hasn't done anything but be stoic and spout kinda disjointed questions at me

MyLoathsomeCowboy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 5, 2017

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Where/when can I grab the DLC items?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Meme Emulator posted:

The point is that ijime, bullying in japanese schools, is very common and this game is taking aim at that. The relentless rumor-mongering is a part of it.
I get that. It just seemed clearly unnecessary and over the top. It didn't add any new information. We already know the place is rumor central with the constant rumors you hear about yourself and other classmates. We already know the rumor that the kids are talking about. It's gratuitous and dumb.

In any case, something like that doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the game so far. It just makes me feel just a tiny bit more distaste for everyone attending that school, except for my friends.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 5, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lucas Archer posted:

I get that. It just seemed clearly unnecessary and over the top. It didn't add any new information. We already know the place is rumor central with the constant rumors you hear about yourself and other classmates. We already know the rumor that the kids are talking about. It's gratuitous and dumb.

Oooh, I get what youre saying. I think that sort of repitition is probably there for more than shock value though. "Tell them what youre going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them" probably is way more true in a 100+ hour game and as the games writer you have no way to anticipate when the player will be saving and taking breaks from the story

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mr E posted:

Where/when can I grab the DLC items?

4/15 for the med supplies. Dunno about the skill cards.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ooh, found another good time-free stat gain thingy, if you buy the plant nutrients from the flower shop you can give them to the plant in you room every now and then (Like every 2 weeks or so? Not sure) and it gives you 2 kindess notes for pretty cheap.

Anyone know if the batting cage prizes are worth it? I'm really bad at that minigame so I'm really tempted to savescum it but that feels lovely...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Man, most every NPC in this world are just lovely, lovely people. The adults are poo poo, the other kids are poo poo. Everyone is poo poo.

Can't wait til my Phantom Thieves burn it all down.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Meme Emulator posted:

Did he not? "Please Take care of me" is one of those bad 'find and replace' translations for yoroshiku so I just assumed thats what it must have been.

Wow so .. you assumed what the original japanese was based off of a translation you think is bad?

And people wonder why the "Localiation is bad" arguments aren't getting much traction here

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The game doesn't really start until you get your 6th character which is 20 hours from now. Good luck.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wonder if anyone defiantly signed the confession sheet with a "gently caress YOU" and is now named gently caress in all of the dialog...

Loving the new dungeons. The puzzle piece stuff from p3/4 were terrible and bad.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Alan Is More Upset posted:

I wonder if anyone defiantly signed the confession sheet with a "gently caress YOU" and is now named gently caress in all of the dialog...

Loving the new dungeons. The puzzle piece stuff from p3/4 were terrible and bad.

If Mementos just had some not terrible music it'd even have a better random dungeon than they did by virtue of every floor being short and sweet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The confession sheet might be the best reason I've ever seen a video game come up with for entering the player's name.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I confess to doing this heinous crime.

Signed,

Hugh Jass

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really like the framing device for the story being explaining your whole situation to a prosecutor in a drugged, bloody haze. My friend who is playing this as his first SMT game ever said he felt it was cliche but I really appreciate the wrinkle to the story

also shoutouts to me for beating the Torn King of Desire in my run to beat Kamoshida's Palace in one run even though I accidentally used a full SP recovery item on Morgana who was a bit below half when I meant it for Ann who had like none. Got a crit+All Out Attack combo on my first attack and turns out that fool's susceptible to Sleep which took all of Ann's SP.

I know the game will get easier when I have more resources but holy poo poo am I gonna be spending time with Takami to get more items cause cha boy got like none now

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Moltrey posted:

I really like the framing device for the story being explaining your whole situation to a prosecutor in a drugged, bloody haze. My friend who is playing this as his first SMT game ever said he felt it was cliche but I really appreciate the wrinkle to the story

I like the idea that I've trapped this woman in a room with me while I painstakingly go over every detail of my life for 100 hours.

Well then I went to the vending machine and I bought a soda and then I bought another soda and then I bought another soda and then I went to the library and borrow a book on pirates and then I went to the pharmacy and tried to bone doc gothula but I think she poisoned me and then I went back to a cafe and spent 15 minutes trying to decide if "coffee siphon" is what those things are really called or if this old dude is loving with me and then I went and cleaned a desk and then I texted my friends and then I wrote in my diary and then I forgot if I wrote in my diary or not so I did it again and then I went to bed and so that was April 16th.

And then on April 17th I went to the vending machines and...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got to Mementos oh my god my ears

Why is this cat a car now. If he transforms while we're driving does he just kill everyone inside? What is going on.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Saint Freak posted:

I like the idea that I've trapped this woman in a room with me while I painstakingly go over every detail of my life for 100 hours.

Well then I went to the vending machine and I bought a soda and then I bought another soda and then I bought another soda and then I went to the library and borrow a book on pirates and then I went to the pharmacy and tried to bone doc gothula but I think she poisoned me and then I went back to a cafe and spent 15 minutes trying to decide if "coffee siphon" is what those things are really called or if this old dude is loving with me and then I went and cleaned a desk and then I texted my friends and then I wrote in my diary and then I forgot if I wrote in my diary or not so I did it again and then I went to bed and so that was April 16th.

so then i went to go see this hot goth "doctor" who sells me the illegal drugs she makes and then i opened up demon google maps to enter a torture and sex palace and talked to the dark prison warden in my brain who commanded his small children guards to murder aspects of my personality but then i forgot i finished my book on the subway this morning and needed a new one so i left and went home

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force

Saint Freak posted:

Too bad you can't woo the lawyer. Meticulously recount every awkward date while she repeatedly tells you to stop.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I remember transferring high schools when I was younger and rumors immediately circulating that I was expelled from my last school for raping someone. :shepface: I was a timid and quiet kid and never had the courage to stand up to it so I spent all year at that school with everyone assuming I was a rapist.

This game's opening kind of hits home in a big way for me.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Deified Data posted:

I remember transferring high schools when I was younger and rumors immediately circulating that I was expelled from my last school for raping someone. :shepface: I was a timid and quiet kid and never had the courage to stand up to it so I spent all year at that school with everyone assuming I was a rapist.

This game's opening kind of hits home in a big way for me.

Did you awaken your persona

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

slev posted:

Did you awaken your persona

Yeah but it too was a chubby kid with social anxiety so it didn't help much.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Exmond posted:

Wow so .. you assumed what the original japanese was based off of a translation you think is bad?

And people wonder why the "Localiation is bad" arguments aren't getting much traction here

Yes, I did make that assumption. Its because "Please Take Care of Me" is used 99 times out of 100 as a direct bad translation of Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu, so its a safe assumption to make.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If I saw a scene where a bunch of people were talking about "That" person, with that in quotation marks and I made the assumption that the original japanese was using "ano hito" as a way to ambigously refer to someone, I wouldnt feel stupid if that assumption were wrong either. The assumption would be right 99 times out of 100.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Since I was apparently a Phantom Thief and got caught I entered my name as "Saint Fail", which got me some comedy "Fail-kun?" references later on.

Do only bad guys have cross-gender personas?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

hyphz posted:

Since I was apparently a Phantom Thief and got caught I entered my name as "Saint Fail", which got me some comedy "Fail-kun?" references later on.

Do only bad guys have cross-gender personas?

And you, I guess. Since a persona is a representation of your true self it seems like most of the time the genders would match. However, presumably a trans person would have a persona of the opposite gender.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've also been taking issue with the shoved-down-your-throat misogyny in the early parts of the game and I'm hoping that kind of stops when rear end in a top hat Teacher bites it.

Getting through this first dungeon without wasting too much time is hard as gently caress though. Playing on hard was probably a mistake.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think two trips is enough to get you through even on Hard. It's tricky, but definitely doable. Anyone one-tripping it on Hard is a mystery to me entirely. Hell, I'm pretty sure even on Normal one-tripping it is very difficult.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Shortest Path posted:

I've also been taking issue with the shoved-down-your-throat misogyny in the early parts of the game and I'm hoping that kind of stops when rear end in a top hat Teacher bites it.

Getting through this first dungeon without wasting too much time is hard as gently caress though. Playing on hard was probably a mistake.

Not looking for an argument but what do you mean by this? It could have a couple meanings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Someone please tell me how to turn off Ryuji's (gameplay spoiler) insta-kill confidant level 7 skill, because not being able to ambush if I want xp is driving me insaaaaaaane.