Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

People love having a pervasive monolithic OTHER to neatly explain away every stumbling block in their lives. Its the most comforting thing there is, because suddenly nothing is your fault, its all THOSE PEOPLE who are conspiring to stop you.

Its a pretty universal thing, certainly not just limited to the alt-right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Oh i though that was just called cowardice?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I think its very important to remember that the alt-right are human beings with human brains and human thoughts just like anyone else, and the only thing special about them are the conclusions they have reached. They aren't some mutant offshoot distinct from 'the good ones'. They're exactly like the most woke person imaginable, just with different experiences and different conclusions.

E: To clarify, its right and good to make fun of the little shitstains. Its just also important to remember that the dumb poo poo they believe certainly isn't unique to them

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't think it's just a need to externalize failure, because even a lot of superficially successful and affluent people are utterly miserable right now. I think there's a deeper, and largely aesthetic, rejection of contemporary society happening right now and that you can't just reduce that rejection to a question of who is or isn't flourishing in the new economy (though certainly that plays a large role as well).

Beneath the generic alienation of late capitalism there's a deeper kind of alienation that has been targeted by spiritual and religious traditions for many thousands of years. Building our entire society around personal choice and maximizing conspicuous consumption would probably alienate a lot of people even if we somehow created a post-scarcity utopia where everyone is provided for.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

The Brown Menace posted:

*blows bubbles out of pipe*

Imho it's not spite so much as the unspoken promise between capital and the white working class that loving over minorities will benefit them financially and socially. Pretty much from the get go when America was first founded as disparate colonies the promise was that poorer whites would be the shock troops of capital, which would share the spoils of plunder from, at first, native Americans with them. This promise was overt and moved then on to other exploited groups (African-American slaves etc). Later on, in light of the civil rights struggle the promise turned implicit, unspoken, but it was still understood that even the lowliest whites would benefit from minorities being hosed over (guaranteed spots in the labor force, social status etc)

This promise has all but vanished (ie loving over minorities only marginally benefits the white working class now compared to earlier) as the dynamics have shifted but due to the unspoken nature of it as well as the society-wide social conditioning it has had working class whites still cling to the idea that if only they poo poo on minorities harder, things will go back to how they were

Basically they still see capital as their lover, but whereas they used to poo poo on minorities together, they're now being, uh, cucked by minorities. Hence why they differentiate between "good" and "bad" companies, where good ones hint at upholding the old dynamic, whereas bad ones have abandoned even the pretense

So, in their minds it doesn't work out as their fate being shared with minorities, but diametrically opposed. Because it used to be like that (and still is to some extent i.e. peep the dynamics of the war on drugs) so as far as they are concerned they're voting for that dynamic to come back (it won't)

But that's just imho *blows more bubbles*

sits next to you by the fire :cheers:
:tipshat: very much :agreed:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sometimes i wish i was alt right

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BONGHITZ posted:

sometimes i wish i was alt right

would you like a preemptive love punch in the ear to help you think harder? :wink:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it probably wouldnt make things too much worse

e: please

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Step posted:

People love having a pervasive monolithic OTHER to neatly explain away every stumbling block in their lives. Its the most comforting thing there is, because suddenly nothing is your fault, its all THOSE PEOPLE who are conspiring to stop you.

Its a pretty universal thing, certainly not just limited to the alt-right.

My pervasive monolithic OTHER is the forces of capital, be like me

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Crane Fist posted:

My pervasive monolithic OTHER is the forces of capital, be like me

even if isn't the fault of capital, capital deserves the blame anyway

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the unspoken promise is so much 'you can benefit from loving over minorities ' (as i guess it had to be during slavery), as it is 'minorities are taking from you, and i can prevent that'.

Its why these guys refuse to really recognize that they have become dependent on low-income support and minimum wage laws and the such - if only those drat minorities would stop taking their tax dollars (because they're the only ones that pay taxes), they'd finally be free to be the masters they think they are.

Naturally, they're wrong, but the delusion is comforting, and it neatly dovetails into what business interests want.

If the promise was just as you said, I don't think it could support itself.

Interestingly, though, I think that the Trump administration may actually break that illusion - these promises cannot ever be realized, their only value is as a promise. What's going to happen when Trump does what the GOP had always said it would do, and these guys notice that things don't actually get better for them? I think the AHCA reaction is kind of the first example of what I mean, the prelude to the big fuss.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Apr 6, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Imma reduce it down to something much simpler. Forget aesthetic rejection, here's the real reason - loneliness.

In small medieval villages, literally everyone in the same village goes to church, there's the pretense of some common bond. Most people today don't even talk to their neighbors.

You can get help making a decision, but you can't ever really get guidance.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

rudatron posted:

:frog::respek::unsmith:

i like that zen poo poo.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

Imma reduce it down to something much simpler. Forget aesthetic rejection, here's the real reason - loneliness.

In small medieval villages, literally everyone in the same village goes to church, there's the pretense of some common bond. Most people today don't even talk to their neighbors.

...and that's true, make no mistake

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The past couple pages have been some extremely good poo poo, that quote from The Culture of Narcissism is blowing my mind.

Even though I think I always knew the yearning for oblivion was about this:

rudatron posted:

loneliness.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

HorseRenoir posted:

https://twitter.com/nasboat/status/849642439417765889

It's a good thing her very real (and possibly black) friend went and cleared things up for us

these loss edits are getting a little ridiculous

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3239941&pagenumber=497&perpage=40#post470110454

Gammatron 64 posted:

Aw for gently caress's sake man, a lovely Mega Man clone isn't going to kill you.

Donald Trump's policies might though. Whatever, don't blame me, I voted for Hillary. Nothing I can do about it now, sorry! P. S. I think you're insane and people like you are why I grow increasingly more moderate. Who knows, maybe I'll be dead too. At the rate we're going and how insane everyone is getting, that's a big possibility. I'd rather not dwell on that.

All right, that's my cue to exit this thread stage left before I get tarred and feathered. Might as well try to enjoy life while you're still alive and not fret about poo poo you have no control over.

Sorry, you can return to Mega Man now, I've obviously worn out my welcome

lol what? Please gimmie a link about this rant because I have no clue what you're talking about

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

amazed nobodies given that guy a redtext yet :v:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

quote:

P. S. I think you're insane and people like you are why I grow increasingly more moderate.

lmao what a threat

WATCH URSLEF *unsheathes paper with sorkin-esque speech*

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

*article appears in Dabiq, the official ISIS magazine, about parents worried their kids are growing increasingly moderate*

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

The Brown Menace posted:

lmao what a threat

WATCH URSLEF *unsheathes paper with sorkin-esque speech*

like that guy was in rare form after the election, straight up making Islamophobic posts and being smug as poo poo about it

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think this is the right place, to complain about other users 1 month old posts, in the games forum

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow loogs, that was fast, well done

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit

mysterious frankie posted:

I'm just doing the math here on my windows calculator app and, let's see... 19 times 24 and... hmm, it says here the answer is "why is humanity using us to drive itself insane?" and, yup, my computer has now deliberately overheated itself to escape this hellish reality.

i hate to interrupt everyone's circlejerk but that's a photoshop. that isn't the real video title and also that guy doesn't really have a hitler mustache

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

gingrich posted:

i hate to interrupt everyone's circlejerk but that's a photoshop. that isn't the real video title and also that guy doesn't really have a hitler mustache

Ok, adding this post to the calculations on my new computer and, well, hmmmmm, same answer.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

gingrich posted:

well i never. Good thing its totally unrelated to the topic or we would all been laughing at something wrong and factually incorrect and thinking it was real :aaaaa:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Baloogan posted:

When folks think about "how the world ought to be" isn't it more noble to think of a society in which whoever is thinking about it isn't the top dog?

Sacrificing the individual for the whole is a value we've lost as a civilization.

^^Exact wording on the signs in front of the death camps Neo Canada established.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gingrich posted:

we wouldn't want to be unfair to an internet wizard

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what about just normal wizards?

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

by all means, please make fun of styxhexenhammer666. god only knows how a man who uses such a ridiculous internet handle and looks like that managed to get over 100k youtube subscribers. but make fun of him for real things and not low-effort photoshops

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gingrich posted:

by all means, please make fun of styxhexenhammer666. god only knows how a man who uses such a ridiculous internet handle and looks like that managed to get over 100k youtube subscribers. but make fun of him for real things and not low-effort photoshops

Why?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

gingrich posted:

Don't tell me what to do.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I wasn't even really thinking it was a Hitler moustache, I thought his face just grew in that way.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i cant even grow that much :smithfrog: #justfrogthings

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/850197781419442179

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/850223849576611840

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/850174857950244865

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/850174283116662784

Prisonplanet.com is officially off the Trump Train. :stare:

Have yet to see a reaction from the Big Papa himself, the Jonesdawg.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
More like PutinPlanet

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

now that is some good poo poo

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

So now I live in a world where Ann Coulter is AGAINST President Trump because he's bombing the middle-east

wtf is happening anymore

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s3HfIuof38

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

none of this poo poo surprises me at all. much like tankies, these fucks LOVE assad because they see him as the last defender against the brown/muslim "rapefugee" menace and because he is facist sack of poo poo who is vassale to Putin who they legit love more being the defender of europe and he will restore it to its white purity or some poo poo.

anyway. /pol/ and various donald reddits are going insane with rage at him as are a bunch of other alt right dick heads like spencer and cernovich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

So now I live in a world where Ann Coulter is AGAINST "President" Trump because he's bombing the middle-east

wtf is happening anymore