Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

it's not the most deep and biting criticism ever but it's pretty decently written. like you can look at it and think it's over the top how much power this guy has over the school and how badly people bend over backwards to appease him but then you look at real life cases where that exact thing happened.

As I said earlier in the thread this is not even a Japanese problem. This is an actual real thing. You can make an argument about how far you need to go with this sort of content especially in a video game about magic mind thieves but I don't think that the P5 chapter is particularly lingering on anything. Except maybe Princess Ann and the idea that Ann is sexualized and depowered in his mind contrasted with her getting her Persona is kind of the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I envy people that think it's over the top because you lived a very sheltered bubble life

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
one time I read someone thought the villain of p3 was over-the-top because they couldn't believe that many people wanted to die. like lol i could probably summon nyx by my lonesome

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

As I said earlier in the thread this is not even a Japanese problem. This is an actual real thing.

If an older lady that goes after younger men is a cougar, what's an older man that goes after younger men called?

A nittany lion BA DUM TISH

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MyLoathsomeCowboy posted:

one time I read someone thought the villain of p3 was over-the-top because they couldn't believe that many people wanted to die. like lol i could probably summon nyx by my lonesome
you should have linked that person info on japan's suicide rate

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there any indication as to when my traits actually go up a level? I've done poo poo loads of things for knowledge and guts but there's no way to tell how close I am to actually levelling one up. There was a dialog option that I needed Guts for so I must have theoretically been able to level it up by now but it just never seems to move.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I've only just beaten the first dungeon and I'm finding that aiming for different cover objects in stealth is janky-as-gently caress in non-linear environments (read: not a corridor); thankfully, being in cover is overpowered as heck and fun, so it doesn't ruin the game.

But!...

...you should be able to look in all directions from the cover you're hiding in.

From what I can tell, it locks your camera to certain vision range unless you move around the object by tapping a direction (subsequently changing which camera-vision-range you're using). It's a fragmented stealth-cover system where you have to anticipate the geometry of where you're going to hide. "This part of the object I'm hiding in lets me attack from here, this part of the object let's me attack here...." etc.

I've also had times where the "Ambush" circle will randomly disappear because an enemy will be walking towards the camera (and thus, technically, out of the stealth camera vision) and I'll tap X to jump out of cover, into a spotlight chase and promptly almost get gang beat by Marin Karin spam or Summoning Kelpies. It's only happened one or two times in 10 hours, but small errors in Persona games are literally the difference between fun and death.

I can see the stealth-cover element being a welcome change for someone who doesn't play SMT games (or Metal Gear games for that matter) so I don't have issue with the basic idea of sneaking through the dungeon. The execution of this stuff seems to be an engine or budget limitation more than anything.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bardeh posted:

Is there any indication as to when my traits actually go up a level? I've done poo poo loads of things for knowledge and guts but there's no way to tell how close I am to actually levelling one up. There was a dialog option that I needed Guts for so I must have theoretically been able to level it up by now but it just never seems to move.

This isnt true that you should be able to hit it. At least, in P4 at least you have the option to ask Yukiko for her phone number right when you meet her but you cant do it unless you have Guts 5, which wont happen except on NG+

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bardeh posted:

This might be a placebo effect but I think the little pulsing effect on the point of the star when you increase an attribute gets faster the closer you are to a full rank-up

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bardeh posted:

Personas with social stats have always had early dialog options that are impossible to complete on a first playthrough. Usually courage related ones. But no, they STILL don't let you know how close you are to leveling a social stat, which sucks.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I do have to say I think Persona 4 had a more compelling hook for the dungeons than 5. Going through dungeons that explore the psychological struggles that people are facing, and uncovering and helping them see their shadow shelves, is more interesting than just reforming people by removing their desires.

Love the game otherwise.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 5, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Not looking for an argument but what do you mean by this? It could have a couple meanings.

The teacher especially, most of the students, and the dude you live with all have really terrible attitudes toward women. Even the offscreen parents and police that were involved with why you got put on probation in the first place, apparently stopping a woman from getting presumably raped isn't something you should bother sticking your nose into? It's just really lovely overall.

I get the teacher being awful is the point of the first arc, but it seems like literally everyone else in the setting is also terrible.

theblackw0lf posted:

I do have to say I think Persona 4 had a more compelling hook for the dungeons than 5. Going through dungeons that explore the psychological struggles that people are facing, and uncovering and helping them see their shadow shelves, is more interesting than just reforming evil people by removing their desires.

Love the game, but I miss that exploration into people's psyche through the dungeons. There is some of it, but most if it is just revealing what we already know.

Just from having experienced most of the first dungeon, it does a pretty huge amount of psychological exploration too - just of the villain rather than the characters you're going to end up recruiting. I think that may be a bit worse overall for it, because you don't have that insight into the important characters, but the game does a pretty good job of developing them imo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

theblackw0lf posted:

I do have to say I think Persona 4 had a more compelling hook for the dungeons than 5. Going through dungeons that explore the psychological struggles that people are facing, and uncovering and helping them see their shadow shelves, is more interesting than just reforming evil people by removing their desires.

Love the game otherwise.

While I agree with you in terms of story, I think (early game) having a Spirit of Rebellion as a prereq for getting your persona is a lot cooler than facing your shadow self

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

The teacher especially, most of the students, and the dude you live with all have really terrible attitudes toward women. Even the offscreen parents and police that were involved with why you got put on probation in the first place, apparently stopping a woman from getting presumably raped isn't something you should bother sticking your nose into? It's just really lovely overall.

I get the teacher being awful is the point of the first arc, but it seems like literally everyone else in the setting is also terrible.

Yeah man, people are pretty lovely in this world and the persona's world both, that's why you have to reform their hearts with anime battles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

welcome to every day of life in the real world, lol?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A major theme of the game is that the world is genuinely pretty lovely and a lot of people are weak, cowardly, selfish or assholes but beneath that there is something better than can exist, and that you need the courage to stand against lovely society in order to be both a better person and to help others become better people. It's not a happy story but it is an optimistic one.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Has anyone on reddit called this communist feminist propaganda yet?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

They left the vagina bones in unedited so no

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

It's reddit so yes, regardless of what you ask about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

despite the fact that the game is pretty anti-conservative politics and even has a bit that can be taken as anti-capitalism in general, reddit's decided that it's actually owning those cucked beta sjws because some polygon guy wrote one sentence wishing there was a gay option.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

You can have sex with girls but not boys in it, reddit is probably more inclined to thank based japan for its disregard of political correctness

Except you can't stream the game so they'll hate it on that basis

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It does present really difficult subjects and in large volumes of them, but all of that is in service to them of just how bad the world is and that we need good people to rise against. I can be a lot, I agree, but it never really glorifies physical and sexual assault against women, and once the protagonists find about it, they were totally cool with indirectly killing Kamoshida in the process if they can stop him.

[Content Warning: this article contains a lot of stories of sexual abuse!!!] This was the story I saw linked that people have said a lot of the Kamoshida stuff probably took inspiration from, a foreign teacher in a Japanese international school abusing his students. This article came out in March of 2014, which I feel is a pretty solid date to say it may have been brought up in the writers room

also it's hosed up but im laughing that atlus is telling streamers to gently caress off and people are mad enough to boycott the game

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm glad reddit has discovered its persona.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I get that the whole subject is a real thing and the shadow world makes sense for the story, it just annoys me because it seems like we can't have a female protagonist anymore that doesn't involve some sort of sexual thing.

Like, Chie had issues with how she treated her friend, Yukkiko with her parental expectations, and Naoto with wanting a career denied to her. Those are interesting things that still acknowledge their gender. But now it's nope, she is a hot girl so it's back to rape, easiest way to build drama.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

You can have sex with girls but not boys in it, reddit is probably more inclined to thank based japan for its disregard of political correctness

Except you can't stream the game so they'll hate it on that basis

A pirate stream of the game would fit the games themes pretty well so I'm surprised no ones gone gently caress the system yet

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I agree it leaves a bad impression from that being the story of the first girl you meet, but also there also three other important women party members for you to meet so maybe don't judge next to Persona 4

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Oh no, what do I name the Phantom Thieves :supaburn:

Named my character Shinsuke Nakamura, so of course in P5 canon he's now joined Bullet Club, which I thought was also apropo with all the guns around.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I get that the whole subject is a real thing and the shadow world makes sense for the story, it just annoys me because it seems like we can't have a female protagonist anymore that doesn't involve some sort of sexual thing.

Like, Chie had issues with how she treated her friend, Yukkiko with her parental expectations, and Naoto with wanting a career denied to her. Those are interesting things that still acknowledge their gender. But now it's nope, she is a hot girl so it's back to rape, easiest way to build drama.

The first two murders in Inaba were women

I guess p4 gets a pass because they're already dead, can't rape corpses too well

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
I'm pretty pleased that they're taking on actual issues, even as heavy-handed as they are. Between everyone actually being straight forreals in P4, and from what I hear P4DAN only barely touching on the idol labor struggle (:ussr:), I was pretty sure they were intent on playing it too safe. The ideas of belief infecting reality is a really potent lens to explore stuff through, but with p3/4 they tended to just fall back to general conformity. Hoping the anarchist flair here ends up more than just flair this time around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Agean90 posted:

A pirate stream of the game would fit the games themes pretty well so I'm surprised no ones gone gently caress the system yet
If I didn't know better I would say this is the kind of thing that Atlus is encouraging.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Harlock posted:

They left the vagina bones in unedited so no

wtf are vagina bones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

of the three other female party members, two don't involve sexual things. and a lot of women in real life have issues relating to sexual things. please stop.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

DreamShipWrecked posted:

While I get what youre saying, Ann is only the first of the heroines and just looking at the op theres at least 3 more incoming. Im sure they all wont have the same backstory.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

wtf are vagina bones.

I know, boneless buffalo is much better

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i got to kamoshida's treasure in one run and i fused a jack frost friend

game owns

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hoooooly poo poo Regents are great if you can manage to get one. The first one I got has every low level Ma- skill in it. I wonder which of these would be best to transfer on. I'm thinking either Holy or Nuclear...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Meme Emulator posted:

While I get what youre saying, Ann is only the first of the heroines and just looking at the op theres at least 3 more incoming. Im sure they all wont have the same backstory.

Oh I'm sure that they will, and I'm sure they will be good stories, it's just that at this point in time in the story we have the Ryuji, who is bitter and angry at the world because the famous dude provoked him, broke his leg, and got away with it while everyone blames him, or Ann, who was being blackmailed into sex.

I'm just disappointed is all. I expected better out of them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Oh I'm sure that they will, and I'm sure they will be good stories, it's just that at this point in time in the story we have the Ryuji, who is bitter and angry at the world because the famous dude provoked him, broke his leg, and got away with it while everyone blames him, or Ann, who was being blackmailed into sex.

Have you still not clued into what an idiot you're making yourself look like, here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What's wrong with Ann's story? She has just as much going on in her story as Ryuji and has similar feelings of bitterness and spite due to how she's been treated. Tell me, why is it a bad thing for her to have that in her backstory? What's wrong with a game wanting to explore the feelings of a character that's been through that? Why is that a story we aren't allowed to tell? Do you think women or girls who have been through that kind of thing shouldn't have stories that validate their anger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm going to be disappointed when I get home from work and discover that those icons on the minimap are not actual minigames (Please tell me they're minigames)