Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Snak posted:

It's not about having "a bunch of scenes". RoboCop is about Murphy becoming RoboCop becoming MajorRoboMurphy. GitS2017 is barely about anything.

You can even compare parallel scenes between RoboCop and GitS2017, but in RoboCop they are forming part of the films core narrative and emotional arc, and in GitS2017, they mostly feel like plot exposition. I don't think they mesh as well with the "hunting the bad guy" plot.

(spoilers for both movies, I guess?)

In both movies, encounters with the guy they are supposed to be hunting Clarence Boddicker and Kuze, lead to memory glitches, which cause them to start remembering their past lives. Technitions attempt to address these glitches. Then they visit their previous homes. While catching the Boddicker/Kuze, they learn that their creator is also a bad guy, and the take care of that poo poo in the end, claiming their new hybrid identity as their own.

So what makes it effective in RoboCop and ineffective in Project 2017? There's a big obvious difference: In RoboCop, we see Murphy and get some insight into his character as a human before he's turned into a weapon. This is hugely important. When Kuze is yelling "What did they take from me?!" the audience answer is "I don't know". We never see the characters that Kuze and Major were before, so it's impossible for us to really connect with that loss. it doesn't matter that it puts us in the same boat as them thematically. The fact that our ignorance of the previous characters mirrors there's doesn't make it interesting. When RoboCop reaches the end of his journey and embraces being RoboCop informed by Murphy, we the audience can recognize that. When Major asserts her identity at the end of the film, it's a moment for the character, but not for the audience. She's essentially saying "yep, I'm the character that I was established to be in the film". It's a perfectly fine character arc, but it has no impact for us, because we don't see her past and we don't see much of who she is now. Most of the time that should be used to develop who she is now was spend watching her investigate her past, which we didn't know anything about and she ultimately (sorta) dismisses.

It's easy to see what they were going for, but I feel like they failed to find a way to get us emotionally involved. And there were lots of opportunities. Build real emotional involvement with Mom Kusanagi or Dr. Oulet or both. They're just kind there. Build hatred for something and explore it for insight into Major's character. Show us her behavior in straightforward situations to give us insight into what she's like.

Look at the differences between the action scenes in RoboCop and GitS2017. RoboCop's early action scenes establish him as a problem solver. He grabs people through walls or shoots their dicks off. He's a creative being. This demonstraits that he's not robot following mindless protocols. He's exactly what they wanted in both movies: A killing machine with the ability to innovate like a person. The action scenes in GitS are all over the place. They're not bad, but they don't tell us a whole lot about the character except that she's a risk taker? In the first scene she jumps off a building and hovers outside a window (???) and the burst through and does some Matrix-type poo poo from Kickass. Then in the next scene she pretends to be a victim so she can trick people for some reason? really it's to trick the audience into thinking she might be in trouble. So that they can reveal that of course she's not in trouble, she's a badass. Which we already knew. It's not like this charade was to get information or buy time or anything, really. She could have started kicking rear end right away. There's no good plot reason for it, it's just to "gotcha" us with "oh no, maybe Major is weak". Then she beats the poo poo out of a garbage man for fun. because it was in the original movie. Then she gets captured by Hanka without a fight because??? Then she fights a spider tank, because it was in the original movie. These action scenes did not help build a coherent sense of her character for me.

That's like, action movies 101. It's rote. 101, man. The Terminator is characterized by his action scenes. Marion Cobretti is characterized by his action scenes. And in the original Ghost in the Shell, the Major is characterized by her action scenes. Because she's a different character and lifting the scenes that they lifted into this new narrative with this new character doesn't work as well.

Wow, SMG must feel really proud for having triggered all of that. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Actually I was responding entirely to Zodiac5000, SMG posted while I was writing that.

edit: Aww, you edited in a quote for top of the page :3:

tl;dr: Ghost in the Shell wasn't as good because Major didn't shoot anyone's dicks off.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Oh that makes a lot more sense.

And yeah, a good bit of it resonated, it was a nice post to quote. :)

And yep, that's also something i said before, gits'17 could've been a great action movie if they went balls-out on the action. Just non-stop.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wouldn't change a single thing about this movie's ratio of action to non-action. I have my misgivings about the film but I'm exhausted by the number of recents movies that begin with a balance of action to drama only to completely fill out their third act with one long chunk of violent spectacle that feels completely disconnected from everything that came before.

GITS still has its big setpiece -- the spider tank fight -- but I thought it actually did a much better job of emphasizing both the emotional stakes and the physical vulnerability of the participants than anything else I've seen recently.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

And yeah, a good bit of it resonated, it was a nice post to quote. :)
thanks!

quote:

And yep, that's also something i said before, gits'17 could've been a great action movie if they went balls-out on the action. Just non-stop.
It's frustrating, because the elements that they put into this movie weren't inherently bad. Mashing all these different ideas together, borrowing from RoboCob, isn't a flaw in the movie. The problem is just the execution of fitting these elements together in a way that is interesting, engaging, and cohesive. There were scenes in the movie that were interesting and/or engaging, but as a whole I don't feel like they built on each other as the movie progressed.

edit:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I wouldn't change a single thing about this movie's ratio of action to non-action. I have my misgivings about the film but I'm exhausted by the number of recents movies that begin with a balance of action to drama only to completely fill out their third act with one long chunk of violent spectacle that feels completely disconnected from everything that came before.

GITS still has its big setpiece -- the spider tank fight -- but I thought it actually did a much better job of emphasizing both the emotional stakes and the physical vulnerability of the participants than anything else I've seen recently.

I think the ratio of action to non action is actually really tight and solid. And I like all of the action sequences individually. The stripper pole fight is meh, but it's punctuated by Batou being awesome so it kind of evens out.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 5, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SAC is incredibly, obnoxiously talky, especially when a lot of what it's conveying is just Theory of Mind 101.

Conversely both Rupert Sanders films I've seen go completely all-in on visual communication and have incredibly awkward, if not objectively bad, dialogue.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yes yes yes but the real question is when am I going to get a mobile tank I can commute to work in that has the AI of my whitewashed Japanese waifu. Is Tony Stark working on that?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That setpiece isn't an action scene imo. It's too deliberate, too tactical. It feels more like watching a play of chess. Move, consideration, move, consideration, move, consideration, ...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mithaldu posted:

That setpiece isn't an action scene imo. It's too deliberate, too tactical. It feels more like watching a play of chess. Move, consideration, move, consideration, move, consideration, ...

I am not opposed to this. I'd like more JoJos Bizarre Adventure original OVA for my action adventure movies than a DBZ mindless punch fest.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

SAC is incredibly, obnoxiously talky, especially when a lot of what it's conveying is just Theory of Mind 101.

Conversely both Rupert Sanders films I've seen go completely all-in on visual communication and have incredibly awkward, if not objectively bad, dialogue.

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that a subject can only be "explored" in a movie through extensive dialogue.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

I like how it really drives home how much CEO guy thinks of and treats Kuze like a piece of garbage, meanwhile the Major is trying to figure her way out of a hostage situation or something. They're not just in conflict, they're not even on the same page about what they're fighting about.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mithaldu posted:

See, the thing is, there's tenuous evidence that she does not look japanese. Shirow said she has a mass-produced outerior that is intended to not draw intention, and in 1995 she is shown next to a caucasian body and looks identical aside from color details.

I'm not saying these are proof that she's intended to be caucasian, but rather it looks more like Shirow doesn't give a drat and lore-wise either choice is valid.
I wrote that under the assumption that you knew the facts i described in this post, given they'd just recently been mentioned.
http://33.media.tumblr.com/dfc420db24d76a5e4354721a717106fa/tumblr_n7imlzdIbh1rpfx57o1_500.gif

Yeah let's put an end to that bullshit. If the puppetmaster dove into a shell that is a white version of the Majors, what does that make her?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 5, 2017

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ghost In The Shell 2017 actually has more scenes about identity than the 1995 film, or either version of Robocop. These scenes just, arbitrarily, 'don't count.'

I have to say that I strongly disagree with this. And the counter argument that I'm seeing in this thread is that it doesn't count in 95 because it's 'too boring". Overloading your movie with "thoughtful" moments doesn't automatically make the movie thoughtful. For reference I'd like to point out the scene with Batou and the Major and Batou the boat. In 95 and in this movie the Major is diving as an experience of 'escape' from the real world. That it's scary as a cyborg to be submerged in water and that's what's freeing about it.

Compare this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryJSu1f8Hi4 to the one we watched in 2017. Which might be kinda hard because it barely even happened.

In 2017 the scene follows the Major talking about why she dives but omits the conversation they have afterward (which isn't the flaw I'm arguing). In 95, the Major starts talking about how she identifies herself as an individual within the cybernetic world. As she starts talking about the ability to access infinite amounts of information, and how that blends into her understanding of herself, the city background behind her starts to close in to the foreground. As she talks about feeling both free and combined within the boundaries of her society the foreground picture of the Major and the background of the city get as close as the will within the frame. The conversation triggers a voice that is vaguely like the Major's, but clearly comes from an independent source. The shot focuses on the Major after this, and the coloring aesthetic of the city background changes to match the hair and eye color of the major.

There is nothing approaching that in this film. The boat scene happens in 17' because it happened in 95' and 'hey don't you remember that'? I'm not even going to argue that the boat scene in the new one needed to be exactly like the old film- it doesn't. This movie had every right to take the franchise in a new direction but it borrows everything it can without really putting in the effort to figure out why those scenes were so effective. And if the argument some may have is that the scenes were not effective in the original film, then why do they work stripped of everything but their setting in this film?

E: One more thing about the boat scene that happens in both movies that really sheds light on the tone. The Major undresses from a dive gear in sight of Batou in both movies. In 95' Batou turns away when she does this and in 17' the camera lingers for a laughable tease shot (it's really clear ScarJo is wearing the thermoptic body suit?). Batou demonstrates that to him the naked body of a sentient cyborg is just sexual as a 'real' body- something that is backed up by his character and dialogue in the scene. And that the Major's own views on her own body are very fleeting, as being 'naked' isn't a real thing to her and that her body might as well be viewed as a high-tech mannequin. Obviously you can argue the same thing in 17' but the newer movie lacks this conversation to reinforce that. That and the thermoptic camo requires the user to be 'naked' to use in 95 and is a skin tight suit in 17'.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 5, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snak posted:

...barely about anything. ... I don't know. ...it doesn't matter. ...our ignorance doesn't make it interesting.... It's not for the audience. we don't see ... we don't see much... we didn't know anything. they don't tell us a whole lot.... (???) ...for some reason?

it's to trick the audience into thinking... this charade .. there's no good plot reason for it... just to "gotcha" ...???

That's like, action movies 101.

It's rote.

101, man.

You're having trouble thinking, so let's look at a specific scene. [Or, rather, two scenes.]

Mira stares into the face of a dead robot. She is unsettled because it had just been pleading for its life. She looks down at the void where the face used to be. Batou notes her concern and says "you're not like it! It's just a robot!", but he had just callously executed a Yakuza in the exact the same way. Implicitly: "I'm not like him! He's just a criminal!"

Later, in the morgue, the dead Yakuza and the robot lie beside eachother. We are treated to matching shots of them lying in the slabs. However, where Batou turns away from the man he killed, Major continues to stare down into the void where the robot's face used to be. She then lies down on a slab, beside the dead, and (despite Batou's protests) enters this void. She effectively stares so hard at the robot that she enters into another dimension, literally falls down into this massive looming skull. Inside, she sees cloudy images of sexual assault and, further inside, a shadowy figure who stares at her and then suddenly explodes into a roiling mass of filthy homeless who grab at her and attempt to drag her into a darkened pit.

This entire sequence is succinct characterization for four different characters. Mira, who chooses to look. Batou, who fears what she will find. Kuze, whose hatred is writ large. And, finally, the robot who literally shares Kuze's hate. We can even add the Yakuza guy to this list, as he is implicitly like the robot.

Now, explain how this is meaningless.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 5, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://youtu.be/ARTLckN9e7I

This is the city I wanted to see in the film.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It isn't, and you know what. That's one of my favorite scenes in the movie. When it gets to the concluding part of the Major being dragged down by the mob I was thinking "Oh man, this is a really cool representation of being counter-hacked(if this is the right word) and the visuals painted a really clear picture of what has happening without there being a need for dialogue. It was probably the peak of the movie for me because afterwords the whole affair becomes wildly less interesting.

I'd use that example to further my argument that they undercut themselves by trying to force parts of the 95 movie in without understanding how they worked in the film. I'm sure you know that the scene you're describing, SMG, is entirely original to GitS 2017.

Or even the other scene I liked in this movie that was both a rip on the worse part of the original manga and a take on the quiet moment in the middle of GitS 95. Where the Major wanders the city and hires a non-enhanced prostitute to feel the sensation of real skin. The Major takes off the fake plastic sticker that makes it kinda look like the prostitute has some sort of mouth enhancement to feel real skin. It's kinda well done both in concept and how it was shot. The movie is just so bogged down by its lackluster 'fanservice' and adherence to a weak plot and weaker twist. As a movie it wastes this good moments.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 5, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

gohmak posted:

https://youtu.be/ARTLckN9e7I

This is the city I wanted to see in the film.

You already saw it in this one.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

gohmak posted:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/dfc420db24d76a5e4354721a717106fa/tumblr_n7imlzdIbh1rpfx57o1_500.gif

Yeah let's put an end to that bullshit. If the puppetmaster dove into a shell that is a white version of the Majors, what does that make her?

Did you intend that post to read equally valid as disagreement and agreement?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Snak posted:

Actually I was responding entirely to Zodiac5000, SMG posted while I was writing that.

edit: Aww, you edited in a quote for top of the page :3:

tl;dr: Ghost in the Shell wasn't as good because Major didn't shoot anyone's dicks off.

I can really only respond to what you wrote, and I don't think interpreting 'asston of screentime' as 'bunch of scenes' is out of line. I don't know if I completely buy your premise that none of the Major's scenes tell us what kind of person she is either. I *especially* think it's a stretch saying that Robocop's action scenes establish him as a killing machine with problem solving and the Major's don't establish anything about her when the Major's first scenes after Cutter describes her as a tool/weapon is her disobeying orders, directly contradicting that statement. Does that not establish that A: She's not just a tool, B: She's a killing machine with an inquisitive mind (she executes an entire room except for a single target, tries to interrogate it, has an emotional response and pours it full of lead)?

The first third of the movie is the Major establishing exactly how much like Cutter she views herself, in contrast to the people around her (section 9/Oulet view her as human), the second third is her finding the cracks in that, discovering her memories are fake, her 'glitches' are real, and that she might have a past, and the last third is her trying to figure out if she can be the person she was before, if she's the machine she thought she was for the last year, or if she's something/someone new.

When you say the audience not knowing what was taken from the Major/Kuze is a failure, I disagree because it shows exactly how little Cutter and Oulet cared about the people they used. They don't know what they took from them, and they just flat out don't care. Keep shoving them in these bodies until it works. I'd suggest that it's designed to give you context for exactly how confused Kuze and the Major are about themselves. They don't know what they lost, they just know that the answer is probably 'literally everything before I woke up', because anything they think they remember might be implanted, meanwhile they have weird hallucinations that could be machine glitches (as they previously thought) or could be their actual memories. Did I need to be shown the reality of what they've lost to appreciate that? I don't think so, because the point is the confusion inspired by the loss, not how sad it is that they lost it. I can infer that they lost important things without the movie spending 10 minutes at the start showing me Matoko's tiny pagoda family.

Who the gently caress knows though. I thought the movie was alright, but then again I don't remember thinking Robocop was any better than alright either.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're having trouble thinking, so let's look at a specific scene. [Or, rather, two scenes.]

Mira stares into the face of a dead robot. She is unsettled because it had just been pleading for its life. She looks down at the void where the face used to be. Batou notes her concern and says "you're not like it! It's just a robot!", but he had just callously executed a Yakuza in the exact the same way. Implicitly: "I'm not like him! He's just a criminal!"

Later, in the morgue, the dead Yakuza and the robot lie beside eachother. We are treated to matching shots of them lying in the slabs. However, where Batou turns away from the man he killed, Major continues to stare down into the void where the robot's face used to be. She then lies down on a slab, beside the dead, and (despite Batou's protests) enters this void. She effectively stares so hard at the robot that she enters into another dimension, literally falls down into this massive looming skull. Inside, she sees cloudy images of sexual assault and, further inside, a shadowy figure who stares at her and then suddenly explodes into a roiling mass of filthy homeless who grab at her and attempt to drag her into a darkened pit.

This entire sequence is succinct characterization for four different characters. Mira, who chooses to look. Batou, who fears what she will find. Kuze, whose hatred is writ large. And, finally, the robot who literally shares Kuze's hate. We can even add the Yakuza guy to this list, as he is implicitly like the robot.

Now, explain how this is meaningless.

Ah yes, where you switch to personal attacks and then pick scenes that I specifically wasn't critical of and imply that I said they were meaningless.

I have absolutely no incentive to argue that those scenes are meaningless. Doing so would be going against my personal opinion and it wouldn't support the argument I put forth.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow even the robot geisha and the Major hacking into one is from the first episode of SAC, completely missed that.

Even to this movie's credit, the design of the RoboGeisha's are way better in film, an even a pretty great example of well done practical effects.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Most of the stuff the Major talks about during the boat scene is implicit in, like, everything that happens in the movie. You don't need to tell me that humanity has an impulsive drive to do things just because they can and that this might be unnerving to someone who got stuck in a cybernetic body and has just realized her memories may not be real.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mithaldu posted:

Did you intend that post to read equally valid as disagreement and agreement?

Either the puppet master is the caucasian version of a Japanese shell or Motoko is the Japanese version of It.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if someone asked me if i wanted to watch this movie again or BvS I'd pick this movie

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Do you think ethnicity has no markers beyond skin, eye and hair colors?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

In anime?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mithaldu posted:

Of course and what we see in the puppetmaster is a fairer skin, blonde version of a Japanese character. What do you see?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Motoko being secretly white in the 95 film is a... strange argument to make IMHO.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Snak posted:

In anime?

An example I can think of is Hikaru No Go showing Koreans as having very squinty eyes.
https://youtu.be/6WGJ7--Jx04
My expirience with Anime is that if they don't explicitly point to ethnic cues just assume they are Japanese or fantasy Japanese with colorful eyes, skin, hair.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 5, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Are you serious, my dude?

edit: "Japanese people are self-loathing", "They worship white people", "[that actress] was playing an American bitch", why wasn't the mom a tiger mom, why didn't they cast a non-Japanese Asian actress in a Japanese role (like that hasn't been a minefield historically), we want to see a new Asian-American movie star - why didn't they cast Michelle Yeoh?, 'edited for length and clarity'? They flip-flop between 'why would a Japanese company make white robots' and 'JAPANESE PEOPLE ARE ALL hosed UP AND LOVE WHITE PEOPLE'

edit 2: Okay, I'll bite. What perspective is this? Beyond "four Asian-Americans think ScarJo was the Bad Choice but can't clearly elucidate why", of course.

so im not sure if you've noticed this but american and more broadly western views of japan are insanely racist. when you inject into that environment a self-loathing japanese-american talking poo poo on their ethnic homeland and thus legitimating the gut feelings of white liberals that the japanese are diseased and pathological subhumans the whole situation just becomes an apocalyptic singularity of racism

i've seen like 3 separate japanese-american writers put out articles that do exactly this in the last 18 months or so

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 6, 2017

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I didn't like johansson as the major because she just wasn't believable as a badass cyborg. She looked like a model in a Halloween costume. I don't know if it is her acting, the direction, because she has such a recognizable face, or just that it is harder to make it believable in live action.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

I have to say that I strongly disagree with this. And the counter argument that I'm seeing in this thread is that it doesn't count in 95 because it's 'too boring". Overloading your movie with "thoughtful" moments doesn't automatically make the movie thoughtful. For reference I'd like to point out the scene with Batou and the Major and Batou the boat. In 95 and in this movie the Major is diving as an experience of 'escape' from the real world. That it's scary as a cyborg to be submerged in water and that's what's freeing about it.

Compare this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryJSu1f8Hi4 to the one we watched in 2017. Which might be kinda hard because it barely even happened.

In 2017 the scene follows the Major talking about why she dives but omits the conversation they have afterward (which isn't the flaw I'm arguing). In 95, the Major starts talking about how she identifies herself as an individual within the cybernetic world. As she starts talking about the ability to access infinite amounts of information, and how that blends into her understanding of herself, the city background behind her starts to close in to the foreground. As she talks about feeling both free and combined within the boundaries of her society the foreground picture of the Major and the background of the city get as close as the will within the frame. The conversation triggers a voice that is vaguely like the Major's, but clearly comes from an independent source. The shot focuses on the Major after this, and the coloring aesthetic of the city background changes to match the hair and eye color of the major.

There is nothing approaching that in this film. The boat scene happens in 17' because it happened in 95' and 'hey don't you remember that'? I'm not even going to argue that the boat scene in the new one needed to be exactly like the old film- it doesn't. This movie had every right to take the franchise in a new direction but it borrows everything it can without really putting in the effort to figure out why those scenes were so effective. And if the argument some may have is that the scenes were not effective in the original film, then why do they work stripped of everything but their setting in this film?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Most of the stuff the Major talks about during the boat scene is implicit in, like, everything that happens in the movie. You don't need to tell me that humanity has an impulsive drive to do things just because they can and that this might be unnerving to someone who got stuck in a cybernetic body and has just realized her memories may not be real.
Ghost in the Shell has always been fraught with exposition. Even the manga is full of footnotes and sidebars and boxes to cram in more exposition. I'm not going to argue against trimming it. Of course redunted exposition is bad and show, don't tell, etc.

There's an important thing about what the Major says on the boat in the 1995 movie, and it's not because we need it explained to us. It tells us about the Major. The Major's profession is a weapon of the government, but in her free time she goes diving and waxes intellectual. We can argue about whether anything the Major has ever said in any version of GitS is anything more than freshman level pseudo intellectual jargon, but in-universe, the conversations she has establish her as an intellectual thinker in the context of the story. She approaches even her own uncertainty about the validity of her identity and lack of ownership of her own body with academic detachment. At the end of the 95 movie, it is her intellectual curiosity that makes her want to merge with 2501 and abandon her previous life.

This aspect of the character is important in both the 95 version of the character and the SAC version of the character. It seems almost entirely absent in the 2017 movie. Which isn't necessarily a flaw in the movie, but it's something I'm disappointed in.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Edit: double post

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I like how there's so much back and forth about whitewashing when the real discussion should be about how loving boring and grey this movie is. Even the intro scene is less impressive than the animated version from 1995 and it never gets any better. I also love how the paid for the license to use the animated version's theme aaaaaaaaand then just played it in the credits.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They should have used the end credits theme from the show. Not only does it fuckin rule, no one would have been offended by putting at the end.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I was surprised that Japanese Major had blue/green eyes in the posted GIF, but I guess that's an anime thing?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was surprised that Japanese Major had blue/green eyes in the posted GIF, but I guess that's an anime thing?
Old Anime had very similar character designs and used Hair/Eye color as a shorthand to quickly distinguish the cast.

It sort of caught on.

GitS is on Hulu. Major looks really otherworldly thanks to the eyes they gave her.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What are the thoughts on how this film handled data and personal privacy? It seems like with all of the NSA and government monitoring these days that this would be a fairly relevant topic to show in this newer version.
It felt like the film touched on this with the doctors looking through all of Major's memories and logs which felt intrusive while viewing. Kuze creates a tor like network to hide from the government/corporations. But ultimately at the end, the major rejoins this government force that has no issues with hacking any computer/camera/person to get the information they need.

So I am not sure what the film's stance on privacy is.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Sir Kodiak posted:

Anime thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

frank.club posted:

I'd use that example to further my argument that they undercut themselves by trying to force parts of the 95 movie in without understanding how they worked in the film.

Sanders did not fail to replicate the scenes from 1995; the scenes in 2017 are entirely different.

For example, the boat scene:

In 1995, Motoko dives into the sea because she dreams of immersing herself into the terrifying darkness of 'the net' ('the sea of information') and then emerging into the sunlight, reborn as a New being with a new clarity of vision.

In 2017, Mira dives into the bay to cut herself off from the all the noisy information around her. She sees the water as a safe, womb-like space, and she is hesitant to return to civilization. Note that, when she comes back up, it's night. No sunlight.

Tank scene:

In 1995, the spider tank is a manned vehicle with a beige outer shell and cloaking technology. It's a fairly obvious metaphor for Motoko herself - a cloaked, legged military vehicle with an organic human pilot. Batou ironically kills the human pilot out of his love of Major, which unwittingly helps her to both literally and metaphorically kill off her human self and rapture up into the singularity. We're treated to a lingering close-up of the dead pilot's face as it sheds a tear.

The spider tank in 2017 is a remote-controlled drone whose colour scheme is red and gunmetal-grey - like Major's innards. So when she allows her skin to rip off, she is effectively declaring "I AM A DRONE", and this allows her to successfully disable the tank on her own. Cutter is then defeated when the other drones of Section 9 (human and otherwise) rise up, execute him, and put his assets under state control.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 6, 2017

• Locked thread