Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Here is what is projected for 2018 comp picks with the current FA signings for this year: https://overthecap.com/draft/

Noted powerhouse Oakland Raiders lost a lot of talent and are projected to receive four comp picks.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Man In their defense a lot of average dudes got 3rd. Sean Smith? OKUNG? Lol

Sean Smith was good before he got to Oakland. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He was a Miami draft pick. I remember him well. He was pretty good but his final year in KC was lovely.

I wanted Miami to possibly resign him

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

He was pretty good but his final year in KC was lovely.

What are you basing that on?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Sean Smith was pretty good his final year in KC. He always has had problems with speedy receivers though. He also turned it around last year in Oakland and had a good end to the season after getting benched.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

What are you basing that on?

His PFF plus a whopping 2 game sample size I personally watched.

Granted it's horrifically flawed but hey!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Patriots apparently still want to trade for Richard Sherman.

Oh my god I would literally jump for joy.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I hope they trade for him and then just make him watch footage of the pick over and over.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm trying to imagine how this ends up working out.

Garoppolo gets traded for the Browns 2nd + a late pick
Butler gets traded with that late pick to the Saints for #32.
Patriots trade... I don't even know, that 2nd(?) for Sherman. I have no idea what the value of a 29 year old elite cornerback coming off a modestly down year is worth. Revis fell off a cliff last year at age 30, and Sherman's never been Revis. Some last years longer, but tend to have to change their game up, not sure how Sherman adapts, plus McCourty is no Earl Thomas.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I hope they trade for him and then just make him watch footage of the pick over and over.

Along with the famous footage of his face going from joyously happy to completely crushed in a microsecond.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hope the Pats trade for Sherman, and then in his first game, he opens his big fat mouth with a Sherman tirade and Bellichek just benches him for the rest of the season.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I'm trying to imagine how this ends up working out.

Garoppolo gets traded for the Browns 2nd + a late pick
Butler gets traded with that late pick to the Saints for #32.
Patriots trade... I don't even know, that 2nd(?) for Sherman. I have no idea what the value of a 29 year old elite cornerback coming off a modestly down year is worth. Revis fell off a cliff last year at age 30, and Sherman's never been Revis. Some last years longer, but tend to have to change their game up, not sure how Sherman adapts, plus McCourty is no Earl Thomas.

I realize Sherman is under contract through 2018 and Butler is a UFA next year but jesus christ why would you still want Sherman over Butler. I would take one year of Butler over two years of a declining Sherman.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

His PFF plus a whopping 2 game sample size I personally watched.

Granted it's horrifically flawed but hey!

To my eye test he was pretty good, although it's hard to grade a corner just watching games and it's not like I went back and watched his All 22 or anything. Also for whatever reason outside of a few times he had trouble with quick guys like Pron noted everyone spent the year wanting to throw at the other side of the field where Peters came up with 8 picks.

It wasn't to the point of the old Raiders where no one would throw at Nnamdi all year but it was pretty striking, which just naturally lead you to think Smith was doing something right.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

Sean Smith was good before that contract, I swear!

He just ended up being very bad once he went to Oakland. Which is also good, so I approve even more.

He was bad the first two games but recovered and had a solid second half of the season.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Sean Smith was pretty good his final year in KC. He always has had problems with speedy receivers though. He also turned it around last year in Oakland and had a good end to the season after getting benched.

yeah, what this guy said. He's a press cover that should never be covering super fast dudes or getting help

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/849685018612051971

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/849695487766798336

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Luckily we have a newish nonterrible DC

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

*heavy breathing*

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So did Lynch just really loving hate Seattle or something? I'm surprised he's actually close to coming back and I feel like I missed something in why he retired when the team was clearly still a perennial contender

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I really hope Lynch isn't a Raider when Marcus Peters hits FA, they are best friends and both from Oakland and I can see where this is heading.............

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is he definitely going to actually play, or is this more like just he gets to retire as a raider because he was a raiders fan as a kid or whatever

Nov 6, 2002

Isn't he still under contract with Seattle? Seems like *that* would be the final hurdle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If he comes out of retirement, yes, seattle owns his contract. But if there's goodwill, they might be happy to let him go or whatever.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Is he definitely going to actually play, or is this more like just he gets to retire as a raider because he was a raiders fan as a kid or whatever

No, he will play. Marshawn is a native son heavily involved in the community, a life long Raider fan and easily the most beloved non-Raider alive. If he has a hand in getting to or even better yet winning a SB for the Raiders before they leave Oakland it would be legend.

Plus, Oakland's o-line is terrific.

e:

Isn't he still under contract with Seattle? Seems like *that* would be the final hurdle.

I think there's an under-the-table agreement already in place.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/849715411939504128

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/849714870803091456

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/849716482149945344

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I would imagine that the Raiders are going to send a 4th round pick to Seattle or something for his rights

Nov 6, 2002

A 4th seems pretty rich.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Token future 7th, if anything. I cant imagine them getting any actual compensation.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

If he comes out of retirement, yes, seattle owns his contract. But if there's goodwill, they might be happy to let him go or whatever.

It probably won't matter. If he comes out of retirement, his 2017 cap hit for Seattle will immediately become real -- $9M in 2017 (and $10M in 2018). OTC currently has them with $9.7M in cap space, which would leave them unable to make moves or sign their draft picks, so they'd be forced to cut him or trade him.

e: Or make room, I guess. But that's a bad idea to make bad cap decisions to keep a guy who doesn't want to play for you

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

Token future 7th, if anything. I cant imagine them getting any actual compensation.

Yeah, an old running back that was retired last year is going to be like a swap of 7th round picks level of compensation.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think there has been a case of a player joining a team he has never previously played for and then retiring as a member of that team.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Kalli posted:

Yeah, an old running back that was retired last year is going to be like a swap of 7th round picks level of compensation.

The league really overvalues draft picks, and considering he was hurt his last season, the Hawks really shouldn't expect to get anything in return.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
No but really, if Lynch comes out of retirement, the Seahawks will have to cut him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:laffo:

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/849727644752936960

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/JakeeHamilton/status/849730576223424512

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
But...that's a trade?

Or is he saying Seattle will cut Lynch and just to do them a solid they'll swap late round picks?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

But...that's a trade?

Or is he saying Seattle will cut Lynch and just to do them a solid they'll swap late round picks?

I think the Raiders actually have the Seahawks's 7th round pick. Maybe they return it?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

I realize Sherman is under contract through 2018 and Butler is a UFA next year but jesus christ why would you still want Sherman over Butler. I would take one year of Butler over two years of a declining Sherman.

Sherman is a huge upgrade over Butler. Let's stop pretending Butler is anything but a below average corner.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I wouldn't call Butler "below average" by any stretch, but Sherman is absolutely not a "culture fit" for New England because of, y'know, the whole irrepressible-personality thing

SCENE: New England cornerback Richard Sherman gets beat on a long-bomb TD pass in the fourth quarter thanks to some horrific, blatant OPI which the officials didn't catch. The Patriots lose by 4 points. At the post-game press conference, someone asks Sherman what he thought of that call. Can you imagine him saying "we're on to Buffalo next week, no further questions"?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
"Culture fit"

On a team that has had Randy Moss and many other load players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

loquacius posted:

I wouldn't call Butler "below average" by any stretch, but Sherman is absolutely not a "culture fit" for New England because of, y'know, the whole irrepressible-personality thing

SCENE: New England cornerback Richard Sherman gets beat on a long-bomb TD pass in the fourth quarter thanks to some horrific, blatant OPI which the officials didn't catch. The Patriots lose by 4 points. At the post-game press conference, someone asks Sherman what he thought of that call. Can you imagine him saying "we're on to Buffalo next week, no further questions"?

Actually, I can. But he's going to make it theatrical as hell.

• Locked thread