Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TOS Vulcans were Space Chinese (this is canon), so I figured​ Romulans were basically Space Japanese, despite the obvious potential for Roman symbolism.
Maybe it's Remans who are Space Koreans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If Vulcans are the Chinese (I haven't heard this before) then they're the ROC and the Romulans are the PRC.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Vulcans are pretty clearly Space Jews.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I thought that was the Bajorans.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Ferengi are Space Jews, I thought we were clear on this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I figured the Klingons were some kind of asian analog.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Angry Salami posted:

Vulcans are pretty clearly Space Jews.

No, Leonard Nimoy is a Space Jew. As for Spock, Kirk seems to think he most resembles a Chinese person...

Additionally, any glimpses of Vulcan culture seem very Asian-inspired. "Amok Time" in particular resembles Chinese opera. Of course there's also the more stereotypical stuff such as being emotionless, good at science, etc.

Cojawfee posted:

Quite possible in TOS, but of course ST6 pushes hard for the Space Russians angle.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

By TNG I thought they were some sort of Japan metaphor. A culture we had fought in war, obsessed with honor and warrior pride, that we are now tentatively friendly with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They are most honourable japanese vikings.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

By TNG I thought they were some sort of Japan metaphor. A culture we had fought in war, obsessed with honor and warrior pride, that we are now tentatively friendly with.

They even have signature swords and a tea ceremony. :v:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Baronjutter posted:

They are most honourable japanese vikings.

It's this, TNG/DS9 Klingons are very much Vikings with Samurai Bushido bullshit stapled to them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bohemian Nights posted:

That is a really weirdly specific thing to think

Kojima actually said he designed Quiet in Mgs5 the way he did specifically to inspire cosplay. It's not without precedent in the industry.

I finished Voyager last night. I started from season 4 where I left off like 5 years ago when I quit it. It was a decent enough finale that probably could have done with some more episodes before it as buildup like DS9 had. It felt like a typical two parter with a scheme to get back to Earth that actually ended up working. The actors themselves seemed to like the script so it works for me.

I respect what they were trying to do with this series but I felt it was unfocused and spread too thin a lot of the time. I like Janeway as a Captain. Tuvok was my favorite crewmember. Neelix wasn't as annoying in the last half of the show.

The show probably worked better when you got it on a weekly drip instead of 3 episodes a day like I was doing.

I dabbled with ENT and got past the Andorran Incident but I think I'm going to hold off and let my
shields recharge before I start another ST series. Maybe I'll watch some TOS movies.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna make this my avatar but am too stunted by autialcoism (autistic alcoholism) to think of a clever tag to put under it. Could you smartbrain goons help me out with a great tagline?

Thanks!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I sense fear and arousal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I smell sex and... lilac?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
*CHOMP*

edit: Which, I just realized, has added context because Klingons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What is kind of cool about the Bajorans is that you can read them as Jews and as Palestinians. Shows you've got a decent sci fi metaphor going on there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Croissant posted:

I'm gonna make this my avatar but am too stunted by autialcoism (autistic alcoholism) to think of a clever tag to put under it. Could you smartbrain goons help me out with a great tagline?

Thanks!

"This is most dishonorable."

"I must protest, I am NOT a Merry Man!"

"Do not tell Commander Riker."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I got MLB 16 and made Captain BEEEEEENjamin Sisko as my road to the show guy. Too bad I can't make Vulcan ears or mod in Odo as the umpire.

I think I'll make part of the Pale Moonlight log one of his walk up songs :allears:. He can live with it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Found this on my hard drive when I was looking up another Trek image:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skasion posted:

This would be a lot more interesting than what it's actually portrayed to be, which is a paranoid, isolationist police state with bad fashion.

Yeah like the Vulcans, they got more and more same-y as Trek went on.

In TOS, the movies, and the beginning of TNG they had all kinds of individual distinctive looks. But I guess that's too confusing for TV audiences or whatever so now they all come from the Planet Of Everyone Has That Same Haircut

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah like the Vulcans, they got more and more same-y as Trek went on.

In TOS, the movies, and the beginning of TNG they had all kinds of individual distinctive looks. But I guess that's too confusing for TV audiences or whatever so now they all come from the Planet Of Everyone Has That Same Haircut

Ahem

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
God I loving hate the standard haircuts. There's like 8 races where everyone has the same horrible haircut. Even North Korea allows people to choose from a dozen options.

And the shoulderpads, good lord.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Wigs and wardrobe are expensive. Making them uniform makes them reusuable and probably gives a bulk discount or something. I hate it too, but you have to accept a certain degree of cost cutting in syndicated scifi.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
No I refuse. I want to see a Romulan with a mohawk dammit

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Found this on my hard drive when I was looking up another Trek image:

:fap: ungh, don't care what anybody says. Connie refit best Enterprise hands down. I still remember as a kid riding my bike to Hobby Lobby to buy a bottle of duck egg blue to paint the deflector dish on the model I got as a birthday gift.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don't think it's wrong for all the Romulans to look the same, any more than it's wrong for all the Romans to wear togas in a show about Rome. It's just a way of conveying at a glance what culture they are. They all looked the same in TOS as well. But the TOS look has aged WAYYYYYY better than the TNG look. The forehead thing is also insanely stupid. Literally the whole point of the Romulans that they were created as a concept to make is that you can't tell them from Vulcans. It's a moral about how you can't judge someone's politics or personality by how they look. The TNG-era redesign in addition to being ugly as sin 100% of the time (even the Nemesis version of the uniform sucks) reenvisions the moral as "actually you totally can judge, just look at that hosed up forehead".

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Flesh Croissant posted:

Thanks!

Can you try to find a better quality source image, jeez.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
shoulderpads are hot

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah check out the ship with 3 nacelles in the background.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Baronjutter posted:

Woah check out the ship with 3 nacelles in the background.

Yup that's basically a refit Dreadnought from the StarFleet Battles game.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Alien A)______ arrive(s) on Deep Space Nine and makes everybody B)_______.

Move Along Home
A) Gamblers B) play a game

Babel
A) biological warfare B) talk in word salad

If Wishes Were Horses
A) diplomats B) see things from their imagination

Dramatis Personae
A) history books B) paranoid

A Man Alone
A) clones B) hate Odo

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
If Discovery has a trans character they should be an alien that switches gender every episode.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Flesh Croissant posted:

Thanks!

If you are bitten by a counselor, you become a counselor.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

sbaldrick posted:

If Discovery has a trans character they should be an alien that switches gender every episode.

It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzzFuN0QJx0

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

No, Leonard Nimoy is a Space Jew. As for Spock, Kirk seems to think he most resembles a Chinese person...

Additionally, any glimpses of Vulcan culture seem very Asian-inspired. "Amok Time" in particular resembles Chinese opera. Of course there's also the more stereotypical stuff such as being emotionless, good at science, etc.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

Flesh Croissant posted:

Thanks!

with mint frosting

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cellular peptide frosting all day e'rry day. Accept no substitute.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was a cellular peptide cake, with mint frosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skasion posted:

I don't think it's wrong for all the Romulans to look the same, any more than it's wrong for all the Romans to wear togas in a show about Rome. It's just a way of conveying at a glance what culture they are. They all looked the same in TOS as well. But the TOS look has aged WAYYYYYY better than the TNG look. The forehead thing is also insanely stupid. Literally the whole point of the Romulans that they were created as a concept to make is that you can't tell them from Vulcans. It's a moral about how you can't judge someone's politics or personality by how they look. The TNG-era redesign in addition to being ugly as sin 100% of the time (even the Nemesis version of the uniform sucks) reenvisions the moral as "actually you totally can judge, just look at that hosed up forehead".

Nah in TOS they all had individual hairstyles and even had clothes that didn't look like like the same drab outfit

It was halfway through next gen that they were like "whatever, put a spock wig on everyone, or else our dumb fans will scratch their heads and be like 'hey who are those people with pointy ears, are they elves or something, I can't tell what they're supposed to be if they all don't cut their hair exactly like spock.' "

The eyebrow ridges were real dumb though.