Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Xenomrph posted:

hosed up if true.

I'm playing Kirby Triple Deluxe and this game is seriously loving great*. Seriously some of the most impressive and clever use of the 3D gimmick in any 3DS game I've played. The soundtrack is cool and the animations are really charming, too.

*the final bosses can gently caress right off, though. Three bullshit cheap bosses, back to back with no checkpoints? Who thought that was a good idea?

Also it's kinda bizarre that extra lives earned don't get saved when you close the game. Like, why bother going for extra lives at all?

I tried the Kirby Planet Robobot demo and that seems to be equally fun, I might cave and pick that up, too.

I'm noticing that the vast majority of my games I have for my 3DS are platformers.

I'm pretty sure if you die to them, they just drop you right back off at the fight you're currently at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Xenomrph posted:

I tried the Kirby Planet Robobot demo and that seems to be equally fun, I might cave and pick that up, too.

Robobot is one of the best games on the 3DS, and the best Kirby game with Superstar Ultra. You shouldn't just get it if you like Kirby. You should get it if you have a 3DS in general.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
what's hosed up is that everything in ALBW is awkwardly tilted forward so that you can make out character and other details despite the top overhead view

it looks hosed from other angles

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

KingSlime posted:

what's hosed up is that everything in ALBW is awkwardly tilted forward so that you can make out character and other details despite the top overhead view

Does that really matter? You're not supposed to be able to look at them from any angle that isn't a top-down view.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

KingSlime posted:

this is a seriously spergy nitpicky complaint of an amazing game :psyduck:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KingSlime posted:

And when they made black and white movies, they made the actors wear garish clothes and painted the sets in weird colors to make it look better in black and white!

It's a feature, not a bug.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
woah slow down cowboys I wasn't actually nitpicking

I saw it in a youtube video and thought it was weird/hilarious, mostly because I definitely did not notice at all during my playthrough

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

KingSlime posted:

I saw it in a youtube video and thought it was weird/hilarious, mostly because I definitely did not notice at all during my playthrough

Have the link (hah) handy? I would be curious to see the other view because I never noticed anything in my play through.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNse7qW8xk&t=441s

Check around the 5 minute mark

it looks god drat hilarious

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You should check out the player character model for Firewatch. It's super good.

@kirbydude: It might be worth looking into Shantae if you like goofy platformers. After my gf finishes Wooly World, we're gonna play Kirby Superstar together.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingSlime posted:

You're not supposed to notice, it's really cool!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Phone posted:

You should check out the player character model for Firewatch. It's super good.

@kirbydude: It might be worth looking into Shantae if you like goofy platformers. After my gf finishes Wooly World, we're gonna play Kirby Superstar together.

Yeah I've enjoyed Wayforward's platformers - Mighty Switch Force is good times (although the last level can get hosed) and I'm messing around in Mighty Switch Force 2 now. I've got the first and third Shantae games on my 3DS, I'm looking forward to giving them a shot soon.

Speaking of Wooly World, I just grabbed a copy of Wooly World 3DS, that looks like a hoot.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah I've enjoyed Wayforward's platformers - Mighty Switch Force is good times (although the last level can get hosed) and I'm messing around in Mighty Switch Force 2 now. I've got the first and third Shantae games on my 3DS, I'm looking forward to giving them a shot soon.

Speaking of Wooly World, I just grabbed a copy of Wooly World 3DS, that looks like a hoot.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is great. Hope you enjoy it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Took the plunge and bought a copy of A Link Between Worlds. I've been trying to buy mostly hardware so I can resell them when I get sick of them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Found a *New* 3DS. Bought Ocarina of Time.

What hand-held gaming has become is giving me serious, "THE WORLD HAS CHANGED," vibes.

Also, digging OoT.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Accretionist posted:

What hand-held gaming has become is giving me serious, "THE WORLD HAS CHANGED," vibes.

Also, digging OoT.

Man, the Switch is going to blow your mind.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Accretionist posted:

Also, digging OoT.

I should give Ocarina of Time a run again soon because I haven't played it in over 4 years now. Mario 64 DS had the same effect on me when it came out because it was crazy to see the game not only portable, but also with better graphics and more content. Kid Icarus and Monster Hunter Generations are both pretty impressive looking games and they both have great 3D effects. Enjoy your fun new system and the dozens of great titles for it. If you're into retro games with 3D effects added, check out the Sega 3D Classics Collection or any of the 3D Sega (also a few [disappointing] NES titles) games on the eShop. If you like Kirby games, Planet Robobot is outclassed only maybe a little by Superstar Deluxe (which you can also play since it's a DS game). I know you didn't really ask for recommendations but congrats on the good buy. Also play Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS) even though it is over 10 years old at this point.

That last one's actually a tip for everyone. Rocket Slime is the best Nintendo DS game and because it is playable on the 3DS it makes it the best Nintendo 3DS game too.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Bloodplay it again posted:

I should give Ocarina of Time a run again soon because I haven't played it in over 4 years now. Mario 64 DS had the same effect on me when it came out because it was crazy to see the game not only portable, but also with better graphics and more content. Kid Icarus and Monster Hunter Generations are both pretty impressive looking games and they both have great 3D effects. Enjoy your fun new system and the dozens of great titles for it. If you're into retro games with 3D effects added, check out the Sega 3D Classics Collection or any of the 3D Sega (also a few [disappointing] NES titles) games on the eShop. If you like Kirby games, Planet Robobot is outclassed only maybe a little by Superstar Deluxe (which you can also play since it's a DS game). I know you didn't really ask for recommendations but congrats on the good buy. Also play Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS) even though it is over 10 years old at this point.

That last one's actually a tip for everyone. Rocket Slime is the best Nintendo DS game and because it is playable on the 3DS it makes it the best Nintendo 3DS game too.

Rocket Slime is the best, Adorable slimes and big ol tanks! Makes it hard to go play other DQ games afterwards due to slime killing guilt.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Hello thread,

I recently picked up a N3DSXL used, and I'm looking to revisit the DS and 3DS libraries for any and all gems I've missed. I want to compile a list of must have, unique, or console defining experiences for both libraries. I wanted to start with the DS library since I should hopefully be able to grab these games for cheapish. I've been looking at the v recommended game list in addition to any Top X list I could find, and came up with the following for the DS:

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Bangai-O Spirits
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol
Chrono Trigger DS
Contact
Elite Beat Agents
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Front Mission DS
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Inazuma Eleven
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Kirby: Mass Attack
Knights in the Nightmare
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mega Man Zero Collection
Mega Man ZX / Mega Man ZX Advent
New Super Mario Bros.
Okamiden
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Pokémon Conquest
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Professor Layton and the Last Specter
Radiant Historia
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Super Princess Peach
The World Ends With You
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

I don't need to own all of the Pokemon games, 999 is available in a bundle on Steam, and the Devil Survivor games seem to have 3DS ports. Is there anything I'm missing on the list from the DS library?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Radiant Historia and Strange Journey just had enhanced 3DS versions announced for Japan, there's a pretty good shot those will come out in English.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Both Trauma Center games are amazing and worth playing, by far the best use of the touch screen I ever experienced. Etrian Odyssey 3 is my favorite in the series and I don't think will see a 3ds remake.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

Hello thread,

I recently picked up a N3DSXL used, and I'm looking to revisit the DS and 3DS libraries for any and all gems I've missed. I want to compile a list of must have, unique, or console defining experiences for both libraries. I wanted to start with the DS library since I should hopefully be able to grab these games for cheapish. I've been looking at the v recommended game list in addition to any Top X list I could find, and came up with the following for the DS:

I don't need to own all of the Pokemon games, 999 is available in a bundle on Steam, and the Devil Survivor games seem to have 3DS ports. Is there anything I'm missing on the list from the DS library?

Rune Factory 3 and the Dragon Quest games are very good.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
As someone who meant to play strange journey at some point, I'm very pleased about the remake annoucement. More neutral towards the Radiant Historia one as the DS vesion seemed fine and is currently installed in my phone but hell, I'll check it out too.

The 3ds sure is a neat device, guys

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Hello thread,

Bangai-O Spirits
Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol
Chrono Trigger DS
Contact
Elite Beat Agents
Front Mission DS
Inazuma Eleven
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Knights in the Nightmare
Mega Man Zero Collection
New Super Mario Bros.
Okamiden
Pokémon Conquest
Radiant Historia
Super Princess Peach
The World Ends With You

XX/XY Feel the Magic, Picross 3D, and Rhythm Heaven are must-plays. And don't bother with Partners in Time or Contact.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spoderman posted:

And don't bother with Contact.

Why do you say that? I loved that game.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Why do you say that? I loved that game.

I got it when it came out, and I remember the combat and just being grueling. I wanted to like it so much, but it felt like a real chore to play and I gave up about halfway through the game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Both Trauma Center games are amazing and worth playing, by far the best use of the touch screen I ever experienced. Etrian Odyssey 3 is my favorite in the series and I don't think will see a 3ds remake.

I have the Trauma Center games on Wii. I think I heard somewhere that one or two of the Wii games were ports of the DS? Either way, it's a great suggestion, but I don't think that I'll need the overlap. For the Etrian Odyssey games, I'm not a big fan of the old school dungeon crawl RPGs, so I think I'm not the target audience here.

Linnaeus posted:

Rune Factory 3 and the Dragon Quest games are very good.

Again, great suggestions, but I'm not a real life sim guy (also applies to Animal Crossing) and I'm not sure how I feel about the Dragon Quest games. I'll read around and see if they would be my jam. I played Dragon Quest Heroes, which is supposed to celebrate the series, and the characters nor settings caught me. They seemed to be reminiscent of the NES RPGs which are generally flat.

Phantasium posted:

Radiant Historia and Strange Journey just had enhanced 3DS versions announced for Japan, there's a pretty good shot those will come out in English.

This is cool news. I'll hold off on those two.

Thanks for the quick suggestions guys! Sorry if it seems like I'm making GBS threads on everything; I'm just trying to explain my positions. I'll still gladly hear any suggestions! I'll get around to trying to gather a 3DS list as well.

Speaking of 3DS, I'm thinking about picking up MonHun Generations, Kirby Triple Deluxe, and LBX. Do any of you have opinions on LBX?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Play Retro Game Challenge.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

Play Retro Game Challenge.

Retro Game Challenge is the greatest

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Shadow please get Rocket Slime it is not a traditional DQ RPG nor is it like the Dragon Quest Heroes hack n slash that came out recently. You have a great list but Rocket Slime is the best DS game and the fan translation of the 3DS sequel is nearing completion.

Retro Game Challenge is good too especially if you watch Game Center CX.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

the fan translation of the 3DS sequel is nearing completion.

Whoa wait what? That's being worked on? :woop:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone played the Rocket Slime sequel? How is it? Are the boat battles cool?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Everyone should play Rocket Slime. I recently got a N3DSXL and DQ7 and I was thinking I should play Rocket Slime again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadow225 posted:

Hello thread,

Bangai-O Spirits
Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol
Chrono Trigger DS
Contact
Elite Beat Agents
Front Mission DS
Inazuma Eleven
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Knights in the Nightmare
Mega Man Zero Collection
New Super Mario Bros.
Okamiden
Pokémon Conquest
Radiant Historia
Super Princess Peach
The World Ends With You

Get Infinite Space. The combat's a bit rock-paper-scissors-ish, but the story is fantastic once it gets going.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Shadow225 posted:

Hello thread,

Bangai-O Spirits
Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol
Chrono Trigger DS
Contact
Elite Beat Agents
Front Mission DS
Inazuma Eleven
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Knights in the Nightmare
Mega Man Zero Collection
New Super Mario Bros.
Okamiden
Pokémon Conquest
Radiant Historia
Super Princess Peach
The World Ends With You

Drop Inazuma Eleven, get/import IE2. It's got more mechanics and less scripted matches, plus side tournaments so that grinding doesn't feel like grinding. IE1 is a game-long tutorial.

Look into Bomberman 2 and Away: Shuffle Dungeon.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Spoderman posted:

I got it when it came out, and I remember the combat and just being grueling. I wanted to like it so much, but it felt like a real chore to play and I gave up about halfway through the game.

Felt the same way. Wanted to like it, seemed to have some earthbound influence. Some cool ideas

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It was also unfinished and just kind of... ended.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Shadow225 posted:

Hello thread,

[...]

The Phoenix Wright games have a 3DS port, an all-in-one package. That might be a better way of playing them. Apollo Justice (the 4th game in the series) isn't included there though, so you'd need to pick up the DS cart of it. The 5th and 6th games in the series are 3DS eShop only, they never received retail releases in Europe/NA.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is Rocket Slime cartridge only? Didn't see it on the eShop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

UltraRed posted:

Is Rocket Slime cartridge only? Didn't see it on the eShop.

Which game? The 2nd one is since it's a DS game.

The 3rd game? No clue, but it only has a Japanese release.