Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lakbay posted:

I'm going to be disappointed when I get home from work and discover that those icons on the minimap are not actual minigames (Please tell me they're minigames)
there's some minigames. Like baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ann's bigger problem than her main plot storyline, is her social link as of rank 7 has been a hodgepodge of random trash

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Endorph posted:

What's wrong with Ann's story? She has just as much going on in her story as Ryuji and has similar feelings of bitterness and spite due to how she's been treated. Tell me, why is it a bad thing for her to have that in her backstory? What's wrong with a game wanting to explore the feelings of a character that's been through that? Why is that a story we aren't allowed to tell? Do you think women or girls who have been through that kind of thing shouldn't have stories that validate their anger?

Because it's lazy and poorly written? It feels like they made no effort to actually make a character, she is just Bitter Girl™

This isn't a character that they made to be dynamic and interesting. She is there to establish that the first boss is a dick.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Did you play with your tv off or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Because it's lazy and poorly written? It feels like they made no effort to actually make a character, she is just Bitter Girl™
How is she Bitter Girl but Ryuji isn't Bitter Guy. also, how does her backstory tie into this. if she were personalty-less, she would be personalty-less even if you swapped her and ryuji's backstories.

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force

Endorph posted:

What's wrong with Ann's story? She has just as much going on in her story as Ryuji and has similar feelings of bitterness and spite due to how she's been treated. Tell me, why is it a bad thing for her to have that in her backstory? What's wrong with a game wanting to explore the feelings of a character that's been through that? Why is that a story we aren't allowed to tell? Do you think women or girls who have been through that kind of thing shouldn't have stories that validate their anger?

because everyone tries to tell this story about women, usually badly, and in many cases, exclusively. I don't think P5 is guilty of telling it badly, and it's pretty clear it won't be stamped on the other women in the cast, but I get Wrecked's reservations when running into the story, yet again.

edit: uh i guess not then

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Social link wise, I would even take Ryouji's convoluted and boring tale of track and field club drama over hanging out with Ann while she says random stupid things, and random stupid things happen to her

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tae posted:

The first two murders in Inaba were women

And they died because they wouldn't have sex with the dude that killed them at that! Even the underage school girl, but I guess that only counts as weird and creepy when it's a bad guy in Persona 5 instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MyLoathsomeCowboy posted:

because everyone tries to tell this story about women, usually badly, and in many cases, exclusively.
I disagree. The difference between P5 and a lot of other stories is Ann actually gets a chance to strike back, as opposed to it being motivation for a male character somewhere else or just a generically sad and hosed up thing that happens. I think stories like that need to be told.

I'm not saying P5's depiction of it is the greatest thing ever, though it's okay, but there's a difference between criticizing the writing and criticizing the idea of even going there.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This isn't a character that they made to be dynamic and interesting. She is there to establish that the first boss is a dick.

Do you know who Ann is??? I don't understand how you think a main character of the game is just there to establish the first boss

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Please tell me the raped girl isn't the one who manifests a Persona shown with two kneeling dehumanised men chained to her.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Played about 90 minutes last night. Just to the point where you first enter the castle with blonde guy and the knights take your prisoner.

I'm playing along side with my wife as a spectator as she was a big fan of the Persona 4 Endurance Run, so it's fun getting a woman's perspective as I play.

In scene where the volleyball teacher drives up to offer the blonde girl a ride to get out of the rain, she was immediately like "UH NO GET AWAY FROM HIM HONEY, DONT GO IN THAT CAR." And then she started quoting the Police Song "Don't Stand so Close to Me."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Endorph posted:

How is she Bitter Girl but Ryuji isn't Bitter Guy. also, how does her backstory tie into this. if she were personalty-less, she would be personalty-less even if you swapped her and ryuji's backstories.

What do we know about Ann at that time other than

1. She is a hot girl
2. She has a friend she is protective of
3. People think she is a slut because the teachers are creepy with her

It all adds up to "hot girls are people too and can be victimized" which as far media tropes go is somewhere on the level of "hey even enemy soldiers have families". That isn't background, it's just a setup.

I get that people don't agree with me, and maybe there will be some crazy turn around in a few more hours, but drat.

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force

Endorph posted:

I disagree. The difference between P5 and a lot of other stories is Ann actually gets a chance to strike back, as opposed to it being motivation for a male character somewhere else or just a generically sad and hosed up thing that happens. I think stories like that need to be told.

I'm not saying P5's depiction of it is the greatest thing ever, though it's okay, but there's a difference between criticizing the writing and criticizing the idea of even going there.

yeah, I'm not disagreeing w/you. My hesitance comes at no fault of P5, but in the space it exists.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

hyphz posted:

Please tell me the raped girl isn't the one who manifests a Persona shown with two kneeling dehumanised men chained to her.

I can't tell if people straight up do not own the game and are just stringing random words together, or they are both deaf and blind, or whats even going on in this thread anymore.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The villain of the first "arc" is well-done and his toxic poo poo is fairly pervasive in the real world, so exaggeration required. People like him get away with the things they do because society values them more than their victims. I didn't expect his portrayal to be controversial at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

1. She is a hot girl

It all adds up to "hot girls are people too and can be victimized" which as far media tropes go is somewhere on the level of "hey even enemy soldiers have families". That isn't background, it's just a setup.

I get that people don't agree with me, and maybe there will be some crazy turn around in a few more hours, but drat.
jesus christ dude, the aggressive misogynist here is you.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

I can't tell if people straight up do not own the game and are just stringing random words together, or they are both deaf and blind, or whats even going on in this thread anymore.

Everyone not playing persona 5 right now is an idiot, including me, for not scheduling days off for release and being stuck here posting instead

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Everyone not playing persona 5 right now is an idiot, including me, for not scheduling days off for release and being stuck here posting instead

:same:

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Can I destroy this thread's palace

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

1. She is a hot girl

4. Some person is saying she's not dynamic after playing through the first dungeon of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slev posted:

No, because this thread's palace is one floor and features a single sad person in their underpants eating reheated hot dogs under the baleful glow of a single underpowered bare lightbulb.

We are already dead.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, because this thread's palace is one floor and features a single sad person in their underpants eating reheated hot dogs under the baleful glow of a single underpowered bare lightbulb.

We are already dead.

I agree, gently caress Baal

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

slev posted:

sorry, but i am the boss of this palace, as i am the king of bad opinions

*floating past me is a portrait of fuuka, with best girl emblazoned beneath it*

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ImpAtom posted:

We are already dead.

So this thread is Mementos?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

1. She is a hot girl

Uh if 'at that time' you mean when she joins the party we also know

she's been blackmailed/pressured by a male authority figure into a relationship she's uncomfortable with and has very actively avoided taking it to any deeper level including sex but he threatens to take away something important from the 'friend she is protective of' who's like her one friend in a sea of people who think she's some slut because of course they believe the adult male who knows better is the victim of the evil slutty 15 year old temptress. She struggles with feelings of revenge and hate to him, especially after he hurts her, again, one social link in her world that doesn't think she's some kinda hose monster, but she also is a moral enough person to know there needs to be more just consequences if she wants actual change to come rather than just making herself feel better. She also explicitly is fighting not just for herself but also for her friend who until the end she doesn't even know if will survive, and in fact very clearly states she views that friend as more of a 'victim' than her in this which is a loving bonkers thing to say but it establishes that she's empathetic to a fault despite being labeled as a vapid slut.

but ya know, yea, basically just tits on legs

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Uh if 'at that time' you mean when she joins the party we also know

she's been blackmailed/pressured by a male authority figure into a relationship she's uncomfortable with and has very actively avoided taking it to any deeper level including sex but he threatens to take away something important from the 'friend she is protective of' who's like her one friend in a sea of people who think she's some slut because of course they believe the adult male who knows better is the victim of the evil slutty 15 year old temptress. She struggles with feelings of revenge and hate to him, especially after he hurts her, again, one social link in her world that doesn't think she's some kinda hose monster, but she also is a moral enough person to know there needs to be more just consequences if she wants actual change to come rather than just making herself feel better. She also explicitly is fighting not just for herself but also for her friend who until the end she doesn't even know if will survive, and in fact very clearly states she views that friend as more of a 'victim' than her in this which is a loving bonkers thing to say but it establishes that she's empathetic to a fault despite being labeled as a vapid slut.

but ya know, yea, basically just tits on legs

This contains way too much thought and attention to the plot, please boil your post down into an amalgamation of 3-5 tvtropes on which to condemn the game

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Like, Ann isn't even my favorite character and she's about to be shelved when I get Fox but she's pretty well rounded by the time you finish the first palace, especially if Ryuji is your standard you're measuring against because I'd say they wind up on the same level of fleshing out, maybe with Ryuji a bit more if only because you can do his social links before Ann

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that was pretty good. I did roll my eyes at them repeating P4 and have Ryuuji refuse to let her join up. Just once I'd like the Persona characters to go "Of course you can come with us, we need all the help we can get!"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honesty trying to tell who is the real victim in that relationship is an academic one at best as the amount of poo poo that both have to deal with is horrifying.

On a gameplay note I don't remember knowledge being such a pain to level up.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

Honesty trying to tell who is the real victim in that relationship is an academic one at best as the amount of poo poo that both have to deal with is horrifying.

On a gameplay note I don't remember knowledge being such a pain to level up.

Knowledge always leveled up slower than the other stats, it's not helped in this game by being way easier to increase on rainy nights which only start occurring regularly around June

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Saint Freak posted:

I was referring to the picture of Ann's Persona in the OP of this thread.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dryzen posted:

I agree, gently caress Baal

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kay Kessler posted:

Yeah, that was pretty good. I did roll my eyes at them repeating P4 and have Ryuuji refuse to let her join up. Just once I'd like the Persona characters to go "Of course you can come with us, we need all the help we can get!"

honestly if i were about to enter a place where i know dudes are trying to gently caress me and everyone around me up, i don't want to bring someone who's confused and shrieking "what is this, what is that" etc as they're a liability at that point

she didn't have her persona and no one knew she had the potential either so

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I don't think I've had a single rainy day since the "Rainy days are the best days for studying!" message, other than on days I've been forced into the second Palace. I hit Knowledge 2 like, a day before exams started.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hyphz posted:

The raped girl isn't a playable character. So no.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A lot of people to come into this thread to complain about how things play out in this game they haven't played or seen the full context of sure are making themselves look like real big idiots.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most of you haven't even gotten to Yusuke or Makoto yet, you're still just playing the prologue

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you go to the diner in Shibuya on a rainy night you get 3 knowledge and 1 of either kindness or guts, please hold out until June to become smart anime boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

A lot of people to come into this thread to complain about how things play out in this game they haven't played or seen the full context of sure are making themselves look like real big idiots.
ill have you know that dismissing a character's entire story and arc because of their gender and the fact they have boobs is actually extremely *glancing at smudged writing on hand*

woke? extremely woke