Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So what do I look for when I'm talking with the shadows? From the way they talk I can't parse if they're being serious or timid. Can't tell from the responses either. Are you supposed to choose what you think is best and hope it turns out good or is there a means of figuring out the personality of these shadows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jimbot posted:

So what do I look for when I'm talking with the shadows? From the way they talk I can't parse if they're being serious or timid. Can't tell from the responses either. Are you supposed to choose what you think is best and hope it turns out good or is there a means of figuring out the personality of these shadows?

Yes, their personalities are generally consistent so it's a lot of trial, error, and memorization

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I've just been trying to match my responses to their stated nature and it's worked for the most part. It's still vague as all hell but head and shoulders above the outright randomness of mainline SMT negotiations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jimbot posted:

As with every SMT game with a negotation system... It's pretty much random. Some options have better odds of working than others I think, but at the end of the day you're pretty much just gambling each time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I get stylizing all the menus but the Persona fusion menu is a mess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is probably the most simple demon negotiation has been especially with the Confidant stuff that helps negate problems should any arise and you can kill the enemies if things go south

Harlock posted:

I get stylizing all the menus but the Persona fusion menu is a mess.

These games desperately need a fusion chart built in and it pisses me off every game when I have to go look for one when I need one for an S. Link

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Jimbot posted:

before you choose to talk to them, the top left corner says their personality. i've noticed with timid shadows you want to be aggressive to get them. with upbeat ones you want to also be upbeat and follow along with them.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
there's a tutorial that opens up at some point early on that specifically says what answers each type likes/dislikes

figuring out what answer if any counts as a "joke" or "vague" is still kind of a coinflip though

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just saw the real triangle menu for the first time and busted out laughing. I love how over the top all the menus in this game are.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Man i didn't even think about Persona only people having to do negotiations for the first time

have fun kids

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus Christ did they go overboard in how everything restricts how you can explore or plan out your time. Palace 2 has to be visited several days in order to progress to the barrier, then the treasure room, which needs a separate day to make the letter, to make you waste a fourth day fighting the boss. And don't get me started on poo poo like exams or investigation days just wasting a whole day either. Did someone complain that it was too easy in p3 and 4 about solving big story dungeons in one day?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Hey does the fifth team member become a decent character after his intro? We're at his persona manifestation and he's been so loving creepy so far that my wife made us stop for the night when it turned out he was actually playable.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Hey does the fifth team member become a decent character after his intro? We're at his persona manifestation and he's been so loving creepy so far that my wife made us stop for the night when it turned out he was actually playable.

he's just a really really weird dude. i haven't really gotten much into his social link but i don't really get the feeling he was actually trying to creep on Ann. he just has no clue how to handle social interactions i think?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Not Operator posted:

He basically stops being a super creep the second he's on the team.

Those first few interactions are real loving bad though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yusuke is basically Crispin Freeman who's an art snob. "I will CAPTURE YOUR BEAUTY" Are those LOBSTERS?!" *makes constant rectangles with his thumbs*

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Not Operator posted:

so far that my wife made us stop for the night when it turned out he was actually playable.

ahahahahahahaha, this is great

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Yusuke is basically Crispin Freeman who's an art snob. "I will CAPTURE YOUR BEAUTY" Are those LOBSTERS?!" *makes constant rectangles with his thumbs*

stop calling him crispin freeman, i will destroy you

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finally got to start playing the game. Given how the beginning is going so far, I really hope I get to stick it to the government and society big-time. I've been meaning to blow off some steam.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo, I'm in May and Makoto is trying to inconspicuously stalk me, it's amazing

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kinda weird that they added multiple adult women to romance this time around...IMO. Just a little observation. 👼

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm in May and Makoto is trying to inconspicuously stalk me, it's amazing

If Persona 4 was designed around Chie with the yellow, Persona 5 is all about Makoto with the red. She's the other main character.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

stop calling him crispin freeman, i will destroy you

People being creeped out by him must be hitting you hard

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

People being creeped out by him must be hitting you hard

Lol if you think I'm reacting to anyone's creeped out reactions wrt this game with anything other than laughter

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Kinda weird that they added multiple adult women to romance this time around...IMO. Just a little observation. 👼

Still doesn't make up for not being able to date the nurse in 4.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Trying to keep alert levels high in this game is kinda tricky. I keep accidentally ambushing enemies and lowering it. Gotta get dem metal slimes tho.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Kay Kessler posted:

Still doesn't make up for not being able to date the young mother in 4.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I spent all of P4 acting the nice guy, this protag's gonna be a subversive bastard.

Kay Kessler posted:

Still doesn't make up for not being able to date Dojima in 4.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Nor either of the teachers in P4.

Frankly, I'm glad P5 is countering the youth worship of Japan which dominated the last game and letting me date multiple adult women as a high schooler. More games should do this.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm dating the teacher this time around because she is the best girl

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

DrPaper posted:

Nor either of the teachers in P4.

Frankly, I'm glad P5 is countering the youth worship of Japan which dominated the last game and letting me date multiple adult women as a high schooler. More games should do this.

I think it's more that the developers realized the high-schoolers that first played 3 and 4 are now bordering on 30.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Be interesting if the game dealt with Polyamory in a mature, thoughtful way.

As a side note I'm having a hard time coming up with a game that actually has.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Can you not just date everyone like in P4

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Be interesting if the game dealt with Polyamory in a mature, thoughtful way.

On Valentine's day all your girlfriends get together and kick your rear end .

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DO IT TO IT posted:

Can you not just date everyone like in P4

Yeah, you don't have to date anyone for the social link. It isn't like P3.

However, you can date most of the female social links outside of the Velvet Room attendants. And a good chunk of them are twice or more the protagonist's age

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can't date Sae either

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
heh, maybe YOU cant

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Kinda rad that they added multiple adult women to romance this time around...IMO. Just a little observation. 👼

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Finished the second Palace on 5/22. Holy christ, Madarame's a nasty piece of work. "Oh, I just left a woman to die so I could steal her art, no big deal, really." Now to actually do that Mementos request I've been putting off because it was cutting into Palace time.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Speaking of which can I fulfill multiple Mementos requests in one day?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm liking the game but holy loving poo poo, the UI is terrible. Does the "objectives" screen need to take up that much of the screen? Is this a 90's CRPG? I'm trying to do some sneakthiefing platforming (which, by the way, is not fun at all. It's loving finicky with the character movement) and there's this big loving UI element blocking parts where I can go, making it hard to see.

The camera is pretty bad too. It jumps around too quickly. Doubly so when you're in a dungeon doing your contextual things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of which can I fulfill multiple Mementos requests in one day?

Yes