Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zore posted:

And a good chunk of them are twice or more the protagonist's age

Uh, who's 32+? Most seem like 28 at the max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The adult woman are at best barely above 25, the only adult women I see being close to 30 is Sae, but it's probably best you not think too hard about character ages when they don't give them.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Tae posted:

Uh, who's 32+? Most seem like 28 at the max.

Both instances are good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I know people are starting to chart out their waifus and all, but if you didn't read the OP, romances aren't chosen at rank 10. It's at earlier ranks , and choosing the friend version gives you a different set of conversations at rank 10.

Basically the difference for example is a rank 10 conversation is either at the cafe for friend zone or in your attic for romance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Baal posted:

The adult woman are at best barely above 25, the only adult women I see being close to 30 is Sae, but it's probably best you not think too hard about character ages when they don't give them.

I mean, she has to be over 30 considering she's a practicing physician. Which means college, med school, residency and a research position at a hospital.

And then an established practice in the back alley near your cool coffee attic.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 6, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kay Kessler posted:

On Valentine's day all your girlfriends get together and kick your rear end .
im glad they changed it to this from the sad P4 scenes cause now i feel rewarded for dating multiple girls

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zore posted:

I mean, she has to be over 30 considering she's a practicing physician. Which means college, med school, residency and a research position at a hospital.

And then an established practice in the back alley near your cool coffee attic.

I feel like they put nowhere near the consideration you did wrt her age and this is not meant as a take at you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They got rid of the cheap 10SP soda, didn't they.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jimbot posted:

They got rid of the cheap 10SP soda, didn't they.

Make coffee, it gives you points with Sojiro

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Plus I think Japanese med school starts at undergrad, like Japanese law school? So people get through the system faster. Don't quote me on that though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Starting to understand what people mean when they say the UI is a little too big. Nothing important's cut off but there are a lot of textbox corners etc traveling off the edge of the screen. Wonder if it was like this in the JP release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Starting to understand what people mean when they say the UI is a little too big. Nothing important's cut off but there are a lot of textbox corners etc traveling off the edge of the screen. Wonder if it was like this in the JP release.
it's pretty much just a result of the uprezzing for ps4.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Traveling in the world it's still too big but whatever. Inside a dungeon, where you have to sneak around if you want to get ambush, blocking out half of your screen is really crappy design. The hide controls are pretty crappy too.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I had this problem as well until I went and dug out my television's original remote control. I've been using a universal for the longest time, which didn't have an equivalent for my TV's aspect ratio function. This setting is also not available through the traditional menu settings, so until I was able to get the old remote out and force the TV into displaying native resolution, it was stupidly overscanned. Unfortunately I played like 30 hours zoomed in and now it feels too small even though everything appears perfectly within the frame.

My point is, the game is perfectly capable of displaying correctly regardless of software or lack of PS4 safe area enforcement, mess with your settings.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Going through the first Palace. Apparently you can fast travel from safe rooms to heal up/get medicine without wasting time, but I'm a Big Idiot and not exactly sure how to do so (I'm not being given the option)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

corn on the cop posted:

Going through the first Palace. Apparently you can fast travel from safe rooms to heal up/get medicine without wasting time, but I'm a Big Idiot and not exactly sure how to do so (I'm not being given the option)

Be in a safe room or the dungeon entrance and press r1 to bring up the map and you can cycle through locations

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

corn on the cop posted:

You can fast travel from safe room to safe room or the entrance, and there's some special medicine you can buy to heal yourself, but you can't buy new stuff or leave a dungeon without ending the day.

Hit R1 in a safe room/at the entrance.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game needs to take a note from Zelda; 3 hours and I still have nt been left to my own yet ugh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

postmodifier posted:

I had this problem as well until I went and dug out my television's original remote control. I've been using a universal for the longest time, which didn't have an equivalent for my TV's aspect ratio function. This setting is also not available through the traditional menu settings, so until I was able to get the old remote out and force the TV into displaying native resolution, it was stupidly overscanned. Unfortunately I played like 30 hours zoomed in and now it feels too small even though everything appears perfectly within the frame.

My point is, the game is perfectly capable of displaying correctly regardless of software or lack of PS4 safe area enforcement, mess with your settings.

My TV's aspect ratio is set to Full and it's the most sensible option there so I don't think that's my problem, at least.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Fast travel also resets encounters on floors which you should definitely be abusing to fill your coffers with tons of yen and experience.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Apparently you can buy Water of Life from vending machines that is "blended with placenta".

God I hope that is a mistranslation

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is Japan seriously so hardass that being late to school is on par with having a criminal record, or is the game just playing up the fascist themes?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Is Japan seriously so hardass that being late to school is on par with having a criminal record, or is the game just playing up the fascist themes?

It's more like being tardy when you're already on probation for assault and battery is probably not a good idea in general.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Goddamn, the Temperence social link is expensive.

Does it ever slow down? I've paid like 30k now for 3 rank ups.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Apparently you can buy Water of Life from vending machines that is "blended with placenta".

God I hope that is a mistranslation
some people do actually eat the placenta but ya i gagged irl

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For the people with overscan issues, does your tv have a Fit to Tv option?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's a few questionable translations in the game, yeah.

Oxxidation posted:

It's more like being tardy when you're already on probation for assault and battery is probably not a good idea in general.

True. I guess I assumed the worst, since this is Japan and all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

There's a few questionable translations in the game, yeah.

True. I guess I assumed the worst, since this is Japan and all.
loling at these two statements side-by-side

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

loling at these two statements side-by-side

Honestly, it's a pretty safe bet in most situations.

edit: https://www.wired.com/2008/03/japanese-compan/

quote:

THE PLACENTA 10000 drink from Nihon Sofuken is a popular new drink in Japan. It’s supposed to taste like tender peaches. Yet, despite the fact that I’ve never tried it, my imagination and previous experience with Placenta products has already made it revolting.

Fellow Gadget Labber Rob Beschizza agrees: "One does not think "What a delicious, refreshing drink that would make," when one Googles "placenta.’"

According to myth, placenta has regenerative properties and is usually placed in dedicated areas. For example, if you suffer from a depigmentation ailment, you’re supposed to dab a little bit of it on the skin and the color will fill in after a few weeks. I once saw this experiment in person and the placenta-based alcohol mix on the skin was so strong that it burned the patient at first. After two weeks, the white splotch was gone.

However, using the uterine lining of human beings (or other beings) is usually regulated and considered illegal in some areas. Hard to believe, right?

<snip>

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 6, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Zore posted:

You can fast travel from safe room to safe room or the entrance, and there's some special medicine you can buy to heal yourself, but you can't buy new stuff or leave a dungeon without ending the day.

Hit R1 in a safe room/at the entrance.

Boner. Made the mistake of killing everything in sight and wasting all my SP. Looks like I'm switching to easy for now :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you hold up multiple enemies and negotiate with one, so you only get exp for that one? Would probably explain why I'm so underleveled.

Rank 2 with the politician dude cannot come fast enough.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

corn on the cop posted:

Boner. Made the mistake of killing everything in sight and wasting all my SP. Looks like I'm switching to easy for now :v:

You don't HAVE to do everything in one day. The game does everything in its power to tell you not to do everything in one day.

And yet people still insist on it. I guess people really wanna optimize.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Infinity Gaia posted:

And yet people still insist on it. I guess people really wanna optimize.

Now you're getting it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Man, letting Ryugi get dragged away by some creepy dudes in Shinjuku for no reason sure was a thing.

What was the point of that scene besides 'gay people are predatory'?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sojiro requires a stupid number of points to rank up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Man, letting Ryugi get dragged away by some creepy dudes in Shinjuku for no reason sure was a thing.

What was the point of that scene besides 'gay people are predatory'?
the writers were afraid that the players wouldn't think they were out of touch

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Arist posted:

Definitely make sure you always have a Hiero persona when you're getting points for him

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The third target is the weakest part of the game and his entire storyline feels like they needed something to fill for time with how generic he and his entire storyline are. The only thing I liked about it was it is when Makoto enters the story in her entirety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Arist posted:

Wasn't Dojima the exact same in P4? I remember being like that in the original at least, I guess you need lot of flags for you father figure to love you just like in real life, it might also been that I remember, with Dojima, some of the best answers you could give him for points were always behind courage flags so it took alot of time, and then you need some other thing to talk about his dead wife in the upper ranks of his SL.

But yeah with Sojiro I guess they made it harder to rank up with so you you are "forced" to make coffe to get many sp items earlier in the game because I think hanging out with him or making coffe gives the exact same amount of points.

Oh and for some people when making coffe have a hierophant persona, because it gives more points as if you were hanging out with him I'm pretty sure.