Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

IceBorg posted:

Oh and for some people when making coffe have a hierophant persona, because it gives more points as if you were hanging out with him I'm pretty sure.

This is true for hanging out with almost everyone. Having their matching persona grants more points per hang out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Baal posted:

The third target is the weakest part of the game and his entire storyline feels like they needed something to fill for time with how generic he and his entire storyline are. The only thing I liked about it was it is when Makoto enters the story in her entirety.

That's a shame, even though the second target was probably overall weaker than the first, I felt it was still pretty solid and had good punchy ending to it. I guess I'll see?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dr. Carwash posted:

This is true for hanging out with almost everyone. Having their matching persona grants more points per hang out.

Do you have to have it equipped or is it sufficient to have it in your persona inventory? I never realized there was a connection in the other games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's a shame, even though the second target was probably overall weaker than the first, I felt it was still pretty solid and had good punchy ending to it. I guess I'll see?

See for yourself, but I said this before, until like the fourth dungeon the game's story and targets don't compare to Kamoshida and it immediately drops in the fifth dungeon and then finally stays consistently good in the sixth.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The third target is more of a start-up on how the group actually functions together, because Makoto is the co-leader of the group and basically is the mom. In more ways than one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
man I constantly forget how bad it is not having max demon slots in SMT games im gonna lose my mind

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Do you have to have it equipped or is it sufficient to have it in your persona inventory? I never realized there was a connection in the other games.
You just need to have it. I'm confused how you didn't know though since before you hang out with someone in 3/4, there's a big ol textbox saying "You Have The Matching Arcana Persona" unless just never had it i guess

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Persona 5 protag is streets ahead of Persona 4 protag.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ryuji's voice acting when he first encounters Morgana's normal cat form is loving superb, he sounds like he's about to run gibbering down the streets.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

The third target is more of a start-up on how the group actually functions together, because Makoto is the co-leader of the group and basically is the mom. In more ways than one.
Makoto is the secret real main character. Queen rules, Joker drools.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

man I constantly forget how bad it is not having max demon slots in SMT games im gonna lose my mind

You just need to have it. I'm confused how you didn't know though since before you hang out with someone in 3/4, there's a big ol textbox saying "You Have The Matching Arcana Persona" unless just never had it i guess

I assumed it was more of a "hey you do actually own persona related to that person, hint hint" and less that it made a real difference. Thanks for the tip

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
So far hard mode has been rough but generally manageable but the second boss just seems ridiculous. I use most of my resources & get super lucky with dodges thanks to sukunda only for that to only to beat the first stage

Is 15 too low?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
This game is really good! I didn't see the events on 4/15 coming. Also, after adjusting to the change I really like Igor's new voice. It sounds like the vocal equivalent of velvet.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Things:

1) holding down R2 (to dash) automatically inputs most context sensitive action prompts, like climbing, sliding and jumping, as long as you are positioned logically to do such a thing. This cuts down -significantly- on the tedium of backtracking/reloading floors, especially in later areas.

2) the earliest you can activate rush mode is as soon as the shadow in question curves it's back towards the ground before becoming red goop, which lets you start bashing faces in even before normal animations would let you.

Can you tell I am obsessively grinding?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

So far hard mode has been rough but generally manageable but the second boss just seems ridiculous. I use most of my resources & get super lucky with dodges thanks to sukunda only for that to only to beat the first stage

Is 15 too low?

Definitely too low, yeah

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's been years since my last Persona game - can anyone remind me how much you can do in a day before you have to go home? Do some things take more time than others?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I just got the keys to the coffee house and holy poo poo the night theme is so good

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

darealkooky posted:

Is 15 too low?

I was at 19 and it was trivial. Getting Yusuke to 18 gets him an ability that makes things a LOT easier during the painting phases, and I had a pretty nice Matador that I used my Regent for. I actually had to pace myself to see the actual unique fight mechanic, otherwise I'd have beaten him too quick.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I just got the keys to the coffee house and holy poo poo the night theme is so good

it's the best theme in the game

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Ryuji's voice acting when he first encounters Morgana's normal cat form is loving superb, he sounds like he's about to run gibbering down the streets.

You having the option to screw with him by going "Meow?" is probably my favorite dialogue choice so far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

Sojiro requires a stupid number of points to rank up

For real. I've got other things to do at night, just let me hang out with you more so I can brew better coffee!

Also, what's the best way to grind guts because so many s links need it and I haven't found a really good way to get points for it yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Deified Data posted:

It's been years since my last Persona game - can anyone remind me how much you can do in a day before you have to go home? Do some things take more time than others?

Generally speaking you can travel and shop as much as you want without advancing time. But things like watching movies, eating at restaurants, reading, hanging out with people, and so on will advance time. Most things will warn you before they time skip, though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dryzen posted:

it's the best theme in the game
it's so loving chill

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Keep in mind a lot of confidents are story-gated so you can't max out before a certain point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For real. I've got other things to do at night, just let me hang out with you more so I can brew better coffee!

Also, what's the best way to grind guts because so many s links need it and I haven't found a really good way to get points for it yet.

Rent a DVD, read a book, go to the diner, TRIAL BY BURGER

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EAT THE BURGER

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Death confidant clinical trials which you should be doing asap, hot coffee at the diner, go to action movies, some books

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
studying at the library or at the diner can get you guts + knowledge

dunno how many points it is (do the points even vary between things?) but that seems p effective just in terms of getting two things done at once

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Points do vary between things yeah.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

darealkooky posted:

studying at the library or at the diner can get you guts + knowledge

dunno how many points it is (do the points even vary between things?) but that seems p effective just in terms of getting two things done at once

You can tell how many points a thing gives by how many music notes you get out of it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

postmodifier posted:

Death confidant clinical trials which you should be doing asap, hot coffee at the diner, go to action movies, some books

Trials and hot coffee are such minor bonuses though, and i've already read books and watched stuff.

Captain Baal posted:

EAT THE BURGER

poo poo! I completely forgot about the Burger.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Goddammit Sojiro stop going home and poo poo on my coffee

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
You can also borrow books in the library that are about each playable character's persona and I think Ryuji's persona book gives guts if I remember right. Well one of four starter character books gives guts I'm sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Sojiro has no rooms in his phone for men's numbers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

Didn't know you were into that

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

EAT THE BURGER

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay Makoto's attempts at following you inconspicuously are adorable.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Makoto is powerful

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

How is Matt Mercer so good in everything jfc

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Makoto best girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

How is Matt Mercer so good in everything jfc

His delivery when getting mad at the MC and Ryuji in front of the house was bad, but otherwise he's been alright. Idk, this is not even close to the best Mercer performance I've heard.