Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

How did I miss they're making a movie out of Rampage? Ugh why

Who plays the giant lizard?

`98 Godzilla. Hasn't been able to find much work the last twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man this is going to be trash but I'll be forced to see it continuing my tradition of watching anything with Malin Akerman in it.

edit: I'd eat her out of a window

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 5, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

well why not posted:

CoD film will make a trillion dollars if they hire someone from John Wick to direct and cast Statham minute one.

Statham actually did voice work in the very first CoD.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
These CoD movies just need to take a page from Hardcore Henry, even if it did bomb (I think?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AzzUKTno0g
seems obvious and the best route to me. eventually something like that has to strike at the perfect time and be wildly successful, right? I mean our generation (I dunno goon ages but speaking broadly) loving watches other people play video games.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

These CoD movies just need to take a page from Hardcore Henry, even if it did bomb (I think?)
seems obvious and the best route to me. eventually something like that has to strike at the perfect time and be wildly successful, right? I mean our generation (I dunno goon ages but speaking broadly) loving watches other people play video games.

Hardcore Henry, but without any of that pesky creativity, energy and personality.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

kiimo posted:

I vote for Gillian Jacobs.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

Her name is Lizzie, please

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FELD1 posted:

I vote for Gillian Jacobs.

She's too talented to be typecast as "that lizard lady"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

She's too talented to be typecast as "that lizard lady"

The name is Lizzie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This feels akin to saying the only way to adapt a book is to have lots of words on the screen

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dunno I just think it'd work with that style, otherwise you're just making generic war movies with the CoD branding. I haven't played many CoD games but I remember a Modern Warfare or two and it feels like it was all about elaborate over the top POV cinema bullshit.
I still think Hardcore Henry was the most successful adaptation of a video game ever, even if there was no video game involved. I mean you've got your respawning NPCs giving mini tutorials and your plot directly led by "GO TO THIS GPS COORDINATE ON THE MAP FOR ANOTHER ACTION SET PIECE", your recharging energy, your completely shallow plot with random sci-fi elements thrown in, your THIS IS YOUR WIFE, FEEL THE EMOTIONAL CONNECTION??? YOU MUST AVENGE HER.
it's super video game.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I dunno I just think it'd work with that style, otherwise you're just making generic war movies with the CoD branding. I haven't played many CoD games but I remember a Modern Warfare or two and it feels like it was all about elaborate over the top POV cinema bullshit.
I still think Hardcore Henry was the most successful adaptation of a video game ever, even if there was no video game involved. I mean you've got your respawning NPCs giving mini tutorials and your plot directly led by "GO TO THIS GPS COORDINATE ON THE MAP FOR ANOTHER ACTION SET PIECE", your recharging energy, your completely shallow plot with random sci-fi elements thrown in, your THIS IS YOUR WIFE, FEEL THE EMOTIONAL CONNECTION??? YOU MUST AVENGE HER.
it's super video game.

I get what u mean but I think the experience of playing most games is pretty divorced both from the literal plot as well as what's happening on the screen. Call of Duty isn't fun because of the plot or the fact that ur mowing down races of all creeds & religions etc. but because the actual, mechanical feeling of playing is satisfying. Obviously there's appeal in the fact that left-trigger right-trigger means u get to see a man wearing too much gear go down in a mist of blood in front of the Burger Town but @ the same time the visual representation of your actions in games is always going to be divorced from what you're doing as a player. Like nobody thinks playing Madden & pressing "B" to pass is akin to the experience of being a quarterback despite all the superficial elements being recreated totally faithfully.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

Hardcore Henry, but without any of that pesky creativity, energy and personality.

You know, the stuff it lacked in the first place. :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

The Rock in goofy costumes ala Kong '76, in my dreams.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Young Freud posted:

When was the last time someone drop atomic weapons on America? When was the last time America was occupied by foreign troops? When was the last time America had a coup de'tat? All those where recent memories when Akira was made, if not held by Otomo or the generation of Japanese "baby boomers" following the war, but by their parents and elder colleagues.

France was occupied by Allied troops for years following the fall of Napoleon in 1815. therefore the american cannot possibly hope to understand the inscrutable French mind or of French art. sorry, that's just how it is

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Woah back off, HH rules so much I got the blueray.

Totall Recall is another movie that feels like a videogame plot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

Woah back off, HH rules so much I got the blueray.

:stonk: You people exist!?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I saw Hardcore Henry in the theatre and I forgot about it two hours later.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The first person gimmick of Hardcore Henry wad easily the weakest part of it, I would have much rather had a traditional movie about Sharlto Copley's body-hopping scientist since he was far and away the best and most entertaining part of the movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

icantfindaname posted:

France was occupied by Allied troops for years following the fall of Napoleon in 1815. therefore the american cannot possibly hope to understand the inscrutable French mind or of French art. sorry, that's just how it is

Proven true when Valerian utterly bombs in the US.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Totall Recall is another movie that feels like a videogame plot.

I was going to make a comment about Red Faction, but realized that I don't think that Total Recall was filmed using revolutionary Geo-Mod technology, so any comparison is obviously false.

Guy Mann posted:

The first person gimmick of Hardcore Henry wad easily the weakest part of it, I would have much rather had a traditional movie about Sharlto Copley's body-hopping scientist since he was far and away the best and most entertaining part of the movie.

Well, you can say that for pretty much all of the movies Sharlto Copley's in.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, you can say that for pretty much all of the movies Sharlto Copley's in.

Didn't work for Chappie. Then again, even Hugh Jackman and Die loving Antwoord couldn't save Chappie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One Disney Channel original movie series might be following in Wolverine's footsteps.

http://loaded.co.uk/demi-lovato-r-rated-version-movie/

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Didn't work for Chappie. Then again, even Hugh Jackman and Die loving Antwoord couldn't save Chappie.

Don't forget Sigourney.

Just kidding, go ahead and forget that her part and lines were dogshit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chappie is good, Hardcore Henry is good, suck my dick fuckmen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:stonk: You people exist!?

You people exist? Hardcore Henry owns.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's worse than anime

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Son of Saul is like Hardcore Henry but better, try that

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hardcore Henry is legitimately the best video game movie ever made and it's not even based on a video game (although it obviously takes inspiration from some) and just a fun as gently caress movie in general.

More movies need to be as ballsy and creative and cool as Hardcore Henry.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Vegetable posted:

It does have a higher bodycount and way more nudity...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

HH is nigh unwatchable on a large screen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Olympic Mathlete posted:

HH is nigh unwatchable on a large screen.
I saw it in theaters and it was absolutely watchable for me. Of course, YMMV. I'm the guy who saw Cloverfield like 5 times in theaters while other people were getting motion sickness and throwing up from watching it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Grendels Dad posted:

Proven true when Valerian utterly bombs in the US.

What's the last French film that became a commercial success in the US? Did Intouchables make a splash overseas?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Article is a few months old, but the studio involved with Valerian is worried about how it'll do.

Hardcore Henry is a reminder of the batshit insane stories that came out of the FMV craze, and why the FMV craze is looked back on in bemused embarrassment.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 6, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I will cut your pretty face.

Cacator posted:

The bad opinion store called, and thanked you for your many contributions to their stock levels

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MisterBibs posted:

Article is a few months old, but the studio involved with Valerian is worried about how it'll do.

Hardcore Henry is a reminder of the batshit insane stories that came out of the FMV craze, and why the FMV craze is looked back on in bemused embarrassment.

It's probably going to crash hard if we're being honest. It probably looks like Jupiter Ascending 2 to the untrained audience.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samuel Clemens posted:

What's the last French film that became a commercial success in the US?

French language films don't tend to do so well in the US. The top 4 are:

Amelie (2001): $33m
La Cage aux Folles (1979): $20m
Brotherhood of the Wolf (2002): $11m
La Vie en Rose (2007): $10m

The Artist (2011) racked up $44m in the US and is technically a French film with French stars and a French director and French financing even though it was shot in LA.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Vegetable posted:

Mierenneuker posted:

It does have a higher bodycount and way more nudity...

Close the thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CelticPredator posted:

You people exist? Hardcore Henry owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I admit my enjoyment of it was facilitated by going with friends and having more than a few beers
but it was awesome
I mean I wouldn't rewatch it, and it wasn't the Mona Lisa, but if you like stuff like Crank and Gamer, you'll have fun with HH

like how can you say it has no flavor or character? it's so trashy, brutal, and Russian it's wonderful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTdvngWQwHU
I liked the oddly accented randomly telekinetic bad man and appreciated the world record for Most Sharlto Copleys in a Movie.

• Locked thread