Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

Seriously, does a mass party damage move (that I'm fairly sure was a Light attack) that does ~80% damage to everyone, gives me a single turn with one character, then it gets another turn and does it again. Amazingly this was not survivable. Not even counting that it has at least one other physical mass party damage move on its list - just to ensure there's a fair chance it'll pull out one or the other every time it goes.
I forgot what it was like to play one of these games until one of these fucks took my thieves from near full HP to zero with two of those party attacks back to back. Fucker had just barely survived an All Out too.

I'm trying to finish this first dungeon in a single day but the lack of SP is killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Is the specific message Igor says to you when you make an Izanagi to do with it being DLC?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dan Didio posted:

Is the specific message Igor says to you when you make an Izanagi to do with it being DLC?

Yes

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm gonna go broke from this goddamn maid service...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ah, okay. I assume the two Izanagi's are from previous games, given what he says?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dan Didio posted:

Ah, okay. I assume the two Izanagi's are from previous games, given what he says?

Yeah, Izanagi was the Arsene equivalent for the P4 protagonist. Orpheus, which comes out soon, was the P3 protag's.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm gonna go broke from this goddamn maid service...

i had to start selling the rarer healing items just to afford her... rip beads...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Extort demons more. There are some demons in every dungeon who will give way above average if you extort them, and advancing the Sun Arcana will sometimes bump that substantially.

The Nekomata in Palace 3 give between 2-8k per extortion and can be extorted twice in a row! And they're weak to Zio.

I made 200k in that dungeon just doing it normally and then running a lap afterwards in the intro area to kill a bunch of them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zore posted:

Extort demons more. There are some demons in every dungeon who will give way above average if you extort them, and advancing the Sun Arcana will sometimes bump that substantially.

The Nekomata in Palace 3 give between 2-8k per extortion and can be extorted twice in a row! And they're weak to Zio.

I made 200k in that dungeon just doing it normally and then running a lap afterwards in the intro area to kill a bunch of them.

Yeah I'm just about to start Palace 3, just in time as I was about to run out of cash. It's gonna be the first one where I even HAVE extortion available so yeah.

Edit: Christ, Sae. Uncalled for.

Edit: Whoa this dude got a real tiny face or a real big head. Or both. Good VA though, just the right amount of sleaze.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 6, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm playing on Hard -- do you get way less exp on Hard or is it normal to only be getting like 6 exp per fight on the first floors of the main dungeon? Also, do you get less exp (or are there otherwise any penalties) for Holding Up enemies and blackmailing them into retreating instead of killing them?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

enojy posted:

I'm playing on Hard -- do you get way less exp on Hard or is it normal to only be getting like 6 exp per fight on the first floors of the main dungeon? Also, do you get less exp (or are there otherwise any penalties) for Holding Up enemies and blackmailing them into retreating instead of killing them?

The weakest enemies don't give much. You end the first dungeon at only level 10-11 or so unless you're on Safety, usually. Dunno about your second question, maybe? I haven't been paying too much attention.

Edit: Man the music in Palace 3 is catchy as hell.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 6, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zore posted:

Yeah, Izanagi was the Arsene equivalent for the P4 protagonist. Orpheus, which comes out soon, was the P3 protag's.

Cool.

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

enojy posted:

except for safety, difficulty options only effect damage you do and damage enemies do; exp and money amounts are not touched. Safety does modify exp and money amounts, i think its 3x exp and 5x money.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

applebane posted:

except for safety, difficulty options only effect damage you do and damage enemies do; exp and money amounts are not touched. Safety does modify exp and money amounts, i think its 3x exp and 5x money.

Challenge/Merciless also affects the EXP -and- Money you get. I think it's 0.4x, which is rough.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A vague yes or no will do but just beat up the second boss

Was prepared for the eventual [send] command like the first boss but that never came up (not that I really knew WHERE I'd be sending too). Was that just a mechanic for the first boss and I super overthought how these fights would go?

I have no idea how people manage on hard without like a million reloads, sheesh.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A vague yes or no will do but just beat up the second boss

Was prepared for the eventual [send] command like the first boss but that never came up (not that I really knew WHERE I'd be sending too). Was that just a mechanic for the first boss and I super overthought how these fights would go?

I have no idea how people manage on hard without like a million reloads, sheesh.

You only get that mechanic if the fight goes into a third round with his gimmick.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Baal posted:

You only get that mechanic if the fight goes into a third round with his gimmick.

Oh dang, now I feel like I missed out. Mind spoiling what it is?

I just barely scraped by and I don't feel like reloading just to do it all over again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can send a party member to cover him in the same ink he uses for his all-weak paint and do the same poo poo to him he does to you.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Baal posted:

You can send a party member to cover him in the same ink he uses for his all-weak paint and do the same poo poo to him he does to you.

That sounds neat. Something for my eventual playthrough 2 then :v:

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Rented a DVD at the store just before being greeted to a string of like ten story-only days in a row.
I'm too spooked to take out another drat DVD unless it's NG+++ and I've learned the calendar's free days by heart.
I can't even look the store clerk in the eyes any more, the shame is too much.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sae: Where were you the day Kamoshida confessed all of his crimes

MC: [sucks in air through his teeth] [Patrick Bateman voice] heh, well I believe I was returning some DVDs.

Sae: What about Madarame? Why was he targeted?

MC: ....can you excuse me? I need to return some DVDs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Oh my god everyone on this team is so computer illiterate it hurts.

"People can hack chat logs??????"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

FauxLeather posted:

Rented a DVD at the store just before being greeted to a string of like ten story-only days in a row.
I'm too spooked to take out another drat DVD unless it's NG+++ and I've learned the calendar's free days by heart.
I can't even look the store clerk in the eyes any more, the shame is too much.

Rent that poo poo, watch it ASAP, return. The most stressful thing in this game is those loving DVDs.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

* meets 5 Angels in battle

cool, imma just mamudo

* 5 misses

of course

Artelier fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 6, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Artelier posted:

* meets 5 Angels in battle

cool, imma just mamudo

* 5 misses

of course

Whoever decided angels should self destruct in this game is a cool dude in my book

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
for the read all books trophy, do i need ot do that in all 1 playthrough or wif I do like almost all of em in one then the rest in a second will it complete?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm still glad the surviving Sudama from IMAGINE got a promotion for their hard work in the field of aggravating as many people as possible by exploding from off-camera.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
I've very nearly decided to buy a PS3 to play this game, but apparently just about everywhere in the UK is out of stock - some online shops even seem to be removing the PS3 version entirely. Can any UK goons confirm that a downloadable version is available on the PS3? Apologies for my ignorance, but I don't want to go hog wild and buy a new console if I'm being completely stupid and won't actually be able to play Persona.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ineffable posted:

Can any UK goons confirm that a downloadable version is available on the PS3?

There is, yeah. It's the version I got

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

There is, yeah. It's the version I got

Great! Thank you. Now off to bite the bullet and actually buy the console :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's hard to say they're the best tracks in the game considering this entire soundtrack is fire as hell but goddamn do I love Life Will Change and Blooming Villain. As far as the latter goes, I was wondering how they were gonna follow I'll Face Myself but I dare say they surpassed that as a boss track.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I discovered something neat last night when I was doing the 2nd Palace.

The dumb miniboss you have to fight with Joker + Ryuji killed me due to a string of bad luck and bad weakness-guesses, and I was ready to scream because I would've lost a bunch of time to it, but the game let me retry from the beginning of that battle despite being on Normal.

A SMT game accounted for one of its "gotcha" moments and patted me on the head!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ineffable posted:

I've very nearly decided to buy a PS3 to play this game, but apparently just about everywhere in the UK is out of stock - some online shops even seem to be removing the PS3 version entirely. Can any UK goons confirm that a downloadable version is available on the PS3? Apologies for my ignorance, but I don't want to go hog wild and buy a new console if I'm being completely stupid and won't actually be able to play Persona.

How much more is a used PS4? Seems kinda strange to buy a PS3 in 2017, unless you play very few games. On the other hand, I think online was free for PS3 games. P5 has some minor online mechanic that may or may not require PS+ on PS4.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Holy poo poo gently caress Onis. No-weakness enemies with an all-party physical move they love to spam? Yeah that's fun. That's a lot of fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

wizard on a water slide posted:

So I discovered something neat last night when I was doing the 2nd Palace.

The dumb miniboss you have to fight with Joker + Ryuji killed me due to a string of bad luck and bad weakness-guesses, and I was ready to scream because I would've lost a bunch of time to it, but the game let me retry from the beginning of that battle despite being on Normal.

A SMT game accounted for one of its "gotcha" moments and patted me on the head!

Yeah anything that counts as a boss will let you retry from the start of battle, honestly it would be better if it let you do that with every battle even if you're not playing on safety.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MotU posted:

for the read all books trophy, do i need ot do that in all 1 playthrough or wif I do like almost all of em in one then the rest in a second will it complete?

In Persona 4 Golden I remember you had to do it in one playthrough for the trophy.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Knowing Atlus they're likely to make some other Persona or SMT games on PS4 that make use of the Persona 5 engine and assets..... my money is on PS4 getting at least Persona 6 or the inevitable Persona 5 FES or whatever. so you will be missing out on the possibility of future games like that if you get a PS3 instead of 4

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah anything that counts as a boss will let you retry from the start of battle, honestly it would be better if it let you do that with every battle even if you're not playing on safety.

Thankfully, they let you do it with the Mementos targets, as one of them busted out an instakill attack against me and killed Joker on it's first turn.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The difficulty in Persona 5 seems more akin to SMT4 than previous Persona games. 4 was super easy, while 5 is kicking me while I'm down.

Love to miss +1 attacks or all out attacks that don't kill the enemy and they wipe me with their 4 turns in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I had some trouble with the boss of the second dungeon. A combination of not having the right healing items and trying to handle the fight with grace made the entire thing a nightmare. Then I decided to go gently caress it all and spam rampage as the game thankfully does not use the press turn system. Once I did that the boss went down easily enough.

Also I am loving Makato so far as seeing her follow me in the rain was adorable.