Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think part of it is that it's an import so people are less likely to seek it out on their own so much as be introduced to it by some1 and, like with sitcoms or anything else, most of the really popular stuff is garbage in similar ways. So you're less likely to run into someone who actually gives u good recommendations because you're looking for a subsection (good taste) of a subsection (interested in looking into anime). Not that the second category has anything to do with the likelihood of having good taste, it's just that (unbelievably pretentious voice) most people don't.

it's a mixture of the anime industry producing an absolutely breathtaking volume of really low-quality stuff in addition to a good volume of high-quality stuff and there being basically no English-language gatekeeper to tell a newcomer which is which, different demographic segmentation than american nerd media which basically exists for 25-35 year old straight white dudes, compared to a fairly clear division between young adult audience and full-grown serious adult audiences in Japan, and plain old simple racism towards Japan and Japanese people

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I don't know a lot specifically about anime but if the description sounds interesting I'll give it a try and except for a few things, I don't care for it. I will say that the ghost in the shell arise miniseries wasn't bad. I figure the stuff on Netflix and Hulu is the most popular/accessible and it's just not for me. The weird fetish poo poo that I see in gifs on the forums is an entirely different issue but I don't think either services stream poo poo about girls that turn into nazi planes or whatever the gently caress that is.

I tried to watch Attack on titan. It's everywhere and I don't get it at all. Mopey teenagers riding around on zip lines killing giant retard cannibal babies with razors. Part of that sounds cool but it's not.

yeah, it's for teenage children, and you're (presumably) an angry full grown man

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr. F! posted:

What are your upper tier comedians? I'm always down to see some new to me comedy.

I'm just going to list stuff that I've watched in the last year or so. Mostly stuff that should be on Netflix.

Some people with recent specials I have really enjoyed.

Mike Bribiglia
Dave Chappelle
Michale Che
Aziz Ansari (he got really bad for a while but I enjoy his new stuff)
Bill Burr
Jim Jeffries
Hannibal Buress
David Cross (also bad for a while but good again)

There's also a ton that I'd qualify as good if you want a more extensive list, but those are some of my favorites right now. I'm probably leaving out a good chunk too because I had a long day at work and can't think.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Since we have anime chat going on, 1) Does Netflix still have those Ghost in the Shell sequels up 2)are they any good, and 3) what order are you supposed to watch them in?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just going to list stuff that I've watched in the last year or so. Mostly stuff that should be on Netflix.

Some people with recent specials I have really enjoyed.

Mike Bribiglia
Dave Chappelle
Michale Che
Aziz Ansari (he got really bad for a while but I enjoy his new stuff)
Bill Burr
Jim Jeffries
Hannibal Buress
David Cross (also bad for a while but good again)

There's also a ton that I'd qualify as good if you want a more extensive list, but those are some of my favorites right now. I'm probably leaving out a good chunk too because I had a long day at work and can't think.

I'd take out Buress (on the basis of the newest special) and add Kyle Kinane, Ali Wong, and Doug Stanhope to that list. I also liked Jo Koy, but I saw his standup live in like 2009 and it bugs me how much he still relies on his Filipino mom bit to carry his set.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The only good anime is Akira and even that drags somewhat in the middle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ozmunkeh posted:

Watch Redline. The main good thing about Akira is the visuals (the plot is a really long and convoluted manga compressed down to like 2 hours ish, rendering it basically incoherent) and Redline is Visuals: The Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2H_FsmxWzc

e: gently caress I wanna rewatch Redline now, that movie owns so hard. Is it on streaming anywhere?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

air- posted:

I'd take out Buress (on the basis of the newest special) and add Kyle Kinane, Ali Wong, and Doug Stanhope to that list. I also liked Jo Koy, but I saw his standup live in like 2009 and it bugs me how much he still relies on his Filipino mom bit to carry his set.

I haven't gotten around to checking out Jo Koy. Kyle Kinane and Ali Wong would have defiantly been included in a more extended list.

Doug Stanhope is good but I have a hard time watching him because he makes me depressed and kind of ill. I haven't checked any of his newer stuff out but I binged pretty much all of his specials like 5 years ago and felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

Buress is an odd one because he barely has anything that would qualify as jokes but I still find him really funny. His demeanor is kind of his set. I really like him though. Watching him feels like hanging out with a really funny friend.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

I'm not big anime but Akira owns and so does every Miyazaki film. And grave of the fireflies. :cry:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

veni veni veni posted:

Doug Stanhope is good but I have a hard time watching him because he makes me depressed and kind of ill. I haven't checked any of his newer stuff out but I binged pretty much all of his specials like 5 years ago and felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

His podcast is even better since he presents himself as this normal guy who's surrounded by a cast of wacky characters but you can quickly realize that he's basically living on the edge with a bunch of legit nutcases.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Train
TO
Buson!

The Seventh Curse might be too good for this room and is on Prime.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not big anime but Akira owns and so does every Miyazaki film. And grave of the fireflies. :cry:

I think Akria stands on its own from its manga more then Naussica does from its Manga.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Akira is bullshit. Last 20 minutes are entirely skippable.

Redline and OPM are the only good anime.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LogisticEarth posted:

Since we have anime chat going on, 1) Does Netflix still have those Ghost in the Shell sequels up 2)are they any good, and 3) what order are you supposed to watch them in?

1 don't know
2 no
3 just don't

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

LogisticEarth posted:

I think it has the arise trilogy, I'm going to watch it and report back. I rewatched the 1997 movie when it came thru LA again as a promo and it made me want to watch the other content

Also as a non anime watcher I just wanna plug the first berserk movie which I believe is still up on Netflix

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Redline, Golgo 13, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes are god tier.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Train To BUSAN was pretty good. It was interesting to see Korea try a modern zombie movie with a Romero style message. Although I'm sure some of that message was lost in translation.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

masaaki yuasa did a guest episode of adventure time once, though, that was cool

Is Mind Game still on Netflix? It's lots of fun, and more people should watch it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh, awesome, The Eyes of My Mother and The BFG got added to Netflix streaming U.S.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Akira is bullshit. Last 20 minutes are entirely skippable.

No way in hell are Cronenbergian constantly-expanding flesh mass and the ensuing psychological deep-dive skippable. Akira loving rules.

rngd in the womb posted:

Is Mind Game still on Netflix? It's lots of fun, and more people should watch it.

Mind Game is visually stunning and off-the-wall, but it's never grounded in any sort of quality narrative, and the story only moves in short bursts. Still worth watching just for the animation style(s).

K. Waste posted:

Oh, awesome, The Eyes of My Mother and The BFG got added to Netflix streaming U.S.

hell yeah I love the bio-force gun

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Mind Game is visually stunning and off-the-wall, but it's never grounded in any sort of quality narrative, and the story only moves in short bursts. Still worth watching just for the animation style(s).

the only narrative mind game has or needs is "gently caress death, god's a jerk, live the struggle"

like you're posing this as a shortcoming, but it's the opposite :colbert:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

:cry: god that movie hosed me up

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Short Penguin posted:

Yuri on Ice is aweome. One of my favorite Anime's of 2017

I watched Yuri on Ice with my wife, and I have to admit it is really good. The writing is perfect for the subject matter and the animation on the figure skating was pretty impressive.

Someone else had mentioned Redline, which I'll also co-sign on. That's likely the most visually pleasing anime I've ever seen. Watch it on a nice screen with big bass speakers for the maximum effect. Its off-and-on Hulu/Prime at times. She eventually just bought it because its one of those rare movies that's worth owning.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It has come to my attention that the absolutely batshit Hong Kong action/horror/kung-fu/fantasy movie The Seventh Curse is on Amazon Prime. If you're looking for something goofy, weird, and off-the-wall, please watch it, it's only 80 minutes long.

The first twenty minutes are a wonder of the modern world.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this when promoting The Seventh Curse earlier, but it's an action/horror/kung-fu/fantasy movie with Chow Yun-Fat, a skeleton puppet, and the director of Riki-Oh. It's complete madness.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I really liked Hello Ladies, it is on Prime. I wish it was longer than one season because I thought it was really funny. I was going to watch the movie but it is on the HBO channel and I already used my free trial :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Officer Downe on Netflix loving rules, it's basically Crank 3

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

The Eyes of My Mother is extremely, extremely my poo poo. Just fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice I was actually considering paying to rent that this weekend.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

K. Waste posted:

The BFG was... embarrassing for Spielberg.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the BFG is pretty poo poo.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

precision posted:

The Eyes of My Mother is extremely, extremely my poo poo. Just fantastic.

THE
EYES
OF
MY
MOTHER

Fuckin watch it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this when promoting The Seventh Curse earlier, but it's an action/horror/kung-fu/fantasy movie with Chow Yun-Fat, a skeleton puppet, and the director of Riki-Oh. It's complete madness.

Its not Riki-oh level crazy but man is it close.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Death Race 2050 owns, and is possibly the best Death Race film.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

K. Waste posted:

Death Race 2050 owns, and is possibly the best Death Race film.

The combination of Manu Bennet and wanting to argue with your post has piqued my interest.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the BFG is pretty poo poo.

Just watched this last night, and I read your post when I was like 30 minutes into it. I was tempted to post my disagreement right then and there, but I decided to finish the movie first.

Unfortunately after finishing it I have to agree, it really fell apart around the halfway mark. The world it establishes is great, and the effects are really excellent. Overall its a great looking film but once the story starts to delve into the whole dream catching thing it completely lost momentum and there was hardly anything I'd call a climax. Definitely low-tier Spielberg.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Surprised there's less discussion about Pontypool. It's gimmick is a lot more original than Train to Busan. It's a lot less action heavy, and the ending is kind of meh but I thought it was a pretty clever take.

Edit: should add, I'm not trying to directly compare the two is there a very different films. Just that they're both zombie movies, one is being talk about and I'm hardly hearing anything about the other.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
People used to talk to about Pontypool a lot, it's just old...ur behind trend.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Train to Busan is way better than Pontypool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah a few years ago Pontypool was the Snowpiercer of its day. I stand by my argument that it actually kinda falls apart at the end.

Also I'll say again that Pontypool is strictly inferior to a somewhat similar Japanese film The Booth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I got to the "live episode" of 30 rock. I don't even know what I just watched.