Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah...I should have mentioned that I hated being on Adderall, it made me feel terrible when I was on it, and weekends gave me a break from the teeth-grinding jitteriness and obsessive fixations. :v: If I had any fatigue from withdrawal, I must have welcomed it like sweet blessed relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I got a height-adjustable desk for my home office. So far it's helping.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

signalnoise posted:

I got a height-adjustable desk for my home office. So far it's helping.

I just built a poor man's standing desk out out of milk crates and some shelves from a shelf my ex never bothered to assemble. Definitely feels better both physically(I have a bad shoulder) and mentally.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Well after suspecting for a while that I had adhd I finally saw a therapist. We talked for a while and my wife and I filled out some surveys. I apparently fit the bill for nearly every single item on the list.

It's a little bit of a relief to know that it's not entirely my fault that I do a lot of the things I do, but I know it's not an excuse either.

Now I need to see if my work allows stimulants to be taken, since they have some heavy restrictions on things in the DEA orange book.

I'm really hoping it helps with the auditory processing and memory issues, as those are a big problem point in my relationship. Also being a huge procrastinator at work. I still get my job done and am apparently a high performer, but I think I just mask it well, or the bar isn't too high here or something.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Beastyfella posted:

Also being a huge procrastinator at work. I still get my job done and am apparently a high performer, but I think I just mask it well, or the bar isn't too high here or something.

Man, I can really relate to this. If you don't give me a deadline it might never get done. And yet they think I'm a miracle worker. Things could be worse.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Beastyfella posted:

Well after suspecting for a while that I had adhd I finally saw a therapist. We talked for a while and my wife and I filled out some surveys. I apparently fit the bill for nearly every single item on the list.

It's a little bit of a relief to know that it's not entirely my fault that I do a lot of the things I do, but I know it's not an excuse either.

Now I need to see if my work allows stimulants to be taken, since they have some heavy restrictions on things in the DEA orange book.

I'm really hoping it helps with the auditory processing and memory issues, as those are a big problem point in my relationship. Also being a huge procrastinator at work. I still get my job done and am apparently a high performer, but I think I just mask it well, or the bar isn't too high here or something.

Congratulations on your brain damage and welcome!

Medication probably won't do much for memory, if by memory you mean that you don't remember dates and responsibilities at the appropriate times. Get a calendar.

ADHD treatment should be a lot more comprehensive than just prescribing medication. Ask your therapist for some psychoeducation about executive functioning and work with them to develop strategies that work for you. I would also recommend Melissa Orlov's book to help you and your wife to understand how ADHD can affect relationships.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 8, 2017

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Yeah he wants me to start on meds so I'm more likely to be successful with things like cognitive behavioral therapy.

I'm going to get a pile of note books so I will always have one on me. One of my big issues is that I am unable to really focus when someone is talking to me so I don't retain it. Sometimes I have to have people repeat things like 5 times event if right next to me. (aside from just forgetting, probably). So I am hoping that increased focus will at least get me able to remember to write things down.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Solkanar512 posted:

Man, I can really relate to this. If you don't give me a deadline it might never get done. And yet they think I'm a miracle worker. Things could be worse.

yeah I'm not afraid to tell people I become a worthless nonproductive piece of poo poo without my prescription. A thick blanket of not wanting to do a drat thing is pretty accurate. Take Adderall and it lifts like a morning fog.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
This thread has been very informative, so thanks to all you goons who have kept it going. I don't have ADD, but my girlfriend does, and reading through this goes a long way towards empathizing with some of the stuff she lives with.

She was on Adderall for a while, but the comedown was just too debilitating and so she hasn't taken it (or any other meds) for the better part of a year. There are times where I might be kinda irritated at having to repeat myself. Or even a bit hurt because it seems like this loving rerun of a show she's already watched several times seemingly takes priority over what i just said to her. But i also know that she has a "bed routine" and I've read similar things in this thread.

It's a bit of an adjustment for me because i sometimes forget that she has it. It's not at a constant level, per se; the "ADD-ness" fluctuates and we both have to compensate for that.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Do you guys get like the odd good day when unmedicated?

Sometimes that happens to me, days where things arn't quite so hard.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It has some residual effects for me, and I feel it creeping back if I go a few days without it. I try to maintain my tolerance by not taking it every day, and so far it's worked. Going on four years now, same dose I started with. This is amazing relief and I just accept the tolerance game as a trade-off. Worth it. But sometimes I stay off too long, which is a success in a way.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Achtane posted:

This thread has been very informative, so thanks to all you goons who have kept it going. I don't have ADD, but my girlfriend does, and reading through this goes a long way towards empathizing with some of the stuff she lives with.

She was on Adderall for a while, but the comedown was just too debilitating and so she hasn't taken it (or any other meds) for the better part of a year. There are times where I might be kinda irritated at having to repeat myself. Or even a bit hurt because it seems like this loving rerun of a show she's already watched several times seemingly takes priority over what i just said to her. But i also know that she has a "bed routine" and I've read similar things in this thread.

It's a bit of an adjustment for me because i sometimes forget that she has it. It's not at a constant level, per se; the "ADD-ness" fluctuates and we both have to compensate for that.

There are some non stimulant ADHD medications, for what it's worth. They don't work remotely as well as a properly dosed stimulant. That said, just taking Intuniv is really wonderful for me if only because it massively cuts down the amount of off the wall thoughts that I have. It's still a chore to do something unstimulating like watchingTV, but it's better than nothing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Why does every adult ADHD test ask if you can play boardgames? I have some pretty noticeable symptoms, but board games are one of the few things I can focus on!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
^^^I don't know about y'all, but I find playing boardgames to be a challenge because either the game is quiet and contemplative (in which case waiting for my turn is painfully boring and makes me fidgety) or is fast-paced and involves paying attention to many different things at once (which is overwhelming to me when I'm already paying attention to all the people at the table).

The best games for me are those quiet ones where your mind is occupied during other people's turns (like Scrabble) or where people don't take individual turns but everyone contributes to a turn at once.

Games like Monopoly are The WorstTM.

On another note, I'm off my meds for the first time in two years. :circlefap:

When I saw my prescribing NP last week, I mentioned that I'd been having some issues with a sudden rapid heartbeat (even while seated) which I could confirm with data from my Fitbit, so she took me off Vyvanse until I get an EKG done and get an all-clear from my doctor. I've been off Vyvanse since Saturday and my doctor's appointment is next Tuesday, so I'm hoping I can be back on meds in two weeks.

Surprisingly, I'm not having too much trouble getting my work done at my job -- it seems like the good behavioral coping techniques I've learned are sticking. What's really tough, though, is the crushing fatigue and feeling actual hunger once again. It's 9:00 and I'm already daydreaming about :burger:.

(That smiley looks real goood)

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 19, 2017

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Well I guess the only "positive" aspect of the type of ADHD I have is the inability to become addicted to anything. I just sort of "forgot" to keep smoking and forget to do routines.
I am addicted to social media though. I finally got a week ban from Facebook and I kind of feel hopeful.

Has anyone managed to find anything OTC that helps with your symptoms? Tyrosine is supposed to convert into dopamine but tbh I feel like I have to MEGADOSE to feel any effects.

I'm also worried about my future, if I become dependent on the drugs and then a doctor won't prescribe them because I'm 50 with heart issues or something (I'm in my late 20's now)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The Big Whoop posted:

Well I guess the only "positive" aspect of the type of ADHD I have is the inability to become addicted to anything. I just sort of "forgot" to keep smoking and forget to do routines.

Wait, is correlation between ADHD and addiction resistance a thing? I've never experienced physical addiction of any kind despite smoking on and off for a year or so and trying a variety of different meds; I figured I was just unusually addiction-resistant.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Triskelli posted:

Why does every adult ADHD test ask if you can play boardgames? I have some pretty noticeable symptoms, but board games are one of the few things I can focus on!

There are a bunch of questions that are actually looking for autism smuggled into these tests so they can rule it out. This is possibly one of them...

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, is correlation between ADHD and addiction resistance a thing? I've never experienced physical addiction of any kind despite smoking on and off for a year or so and trying a variety of different meds; I figured I was just unusually addiction-resistant.

Not as far as I know, in fact adults with ADHD have way higher substance abuse rates than the general population

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
poo poo, I love drugs

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

I probably fit the criteria for oppositional defiance disorder too. It's only recently that I don't harbor a resentment for those in authority positions telling me what to do specifically (even though I probably need it, haha).

I guess bitter orange peel is used in some cases if you respond well to stimulants.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

signalnoise posted:

poo poo, I love drugs

They're pretty good, yeah.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think it's harder to form long term habits and stuff, so some aspects of it make sense, but uh, poor impulse control will balance that right out. I've found it hard to get addicted to things that require long term commitment (like MMOs and stuff like that, not massively addicting but i could just never play one like my friends could) but stuff that only takes a few seconds (social media) is a pipe bomb to my time.

Hey guys I upped my dosage and it wrecked my mood for the past two weeks, do i keep taking my meds and hope it gets normal again or do i stop?

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey guys I upped my dosage and it wrecked my mood for the past two weeks, do i keep taking my meds and hope it gets normal again or do i stop?

Talk to doc or nurse. Maybe instead of 10 more mg you need 5 more.

On a scale from 1-10 how much do y'all hate Dr Amen? I like the concepts (different types of ADHD and a combination of methods to treat it plus physical proof with the brains scans) but apparently his clinics don't take any insurance and his brain scanning equipment only scans where the blood is going in your brain which can be impacted by a variety of things. I guess MRIs aren't really needed for ADHD but it would be useful for people to actually see that they have brain issues.

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 19, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Big Whoop posted:

Talk to doc or nurse. Maybe instead of 10 more mg you need 5 more.

I have an appointment scheduled in like 3 weeks to talk about how the dosage increase is going, but you know, in the mean time.

It's also the second lowest dosage, having just moved me up from the lowest dosage, which was not doing much. :negative:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I have an appointment scheduled in like 3 weeks to talk about how the dosage increase is going, but you know, in the mean time.

It's also the second lowest dosage, having just moved me up from the lowest dosage, which was not doing much. :negative:

Which med? Vyvance turned me into the biggest dickhead on the planet.
Also, are you taking any supplements with magnesium or zinc?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The only medication I take is 27mg of Concerta :shobon:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The only medication I take is 27mg of Concerta :shobon:

It's been a while since that one for me, but that one straight up made me not want to eat. Was the lower dosage doing anything for you?
Also if you're drinking anything citrusy that can impact the speed at which you're absorbing it, causing you to rage.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I'm being prescribed Vyvanse, hopefully it doesn't turn me into a (bigger) dickhead than I can be at times. Probably going to wind up with a booster too of something since I'm awake for like 17 hours a day.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

From what I understand Vyvanse is pretty divisive and lots of people have a negative time with it, but you should find out pretty quickly what side of the fence you fall on.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Just wanted to drop in with a little follow-up to my posts 4-5 pages ago, about cluttering.

For completely unrelated reasons I started a low-carb diet recently and got my body into ketosis. Getting into this state was...weird. First I was really sick, then I had a few days of extreme energy. Anyway, everything kind of calmed down and I went back to feeling pretty much the same as before--except I didn't clutter nearly as bad. My brain is "clearer"; I find the words I'm looking for much faster. I feel like so much less of an idiot when trying to communicate with people.

I recently injured myself and couldn't really work out and got real sloppy about my diet and knocked myself out of ketosis and, whadda ya know, the brain cloud and choppy stopping/starting speech pattern came back. Over the last few days I was able to get back into ketosis pretty easily (didn't feel sick this time) and my brain fog has, once again, lifted.

Anyway I just wanted to mention this in case it could possibly help anybody else. My ADHD isn't so severe it's debilitating, but the way I talk has been a life-long source of frustration and humiliation and this is the only time I can remember having some relief. A low-carb diet can be a pain, but for me it's worth it for this alone.

Oh, and some people talk about the keto diet like it's some kind of miracle thing that will give you endless amounts of energy and burn fat way faster. In my experience I felt similar to the way I do on any healthy diet and exercise program, with the exception of the speech thing.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Interesting. I've been diagnosed with cluttering, too, and in the past I've lost weight on low-carb-induced ketosis but don't remember noticing anything about my speech improving.

Since I'm fat again and have been vaguely thinking about eating low-carb again, thanks for the motivation! :v: I'll change my diet and will report any effects it has on my ADD and cluttering issues.

The ketosis energy boost could not come at a better time, too. Being off Vyvanse is kicking my rear end with fatigue and brain fog.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I did pretty well with vyvanse back in high school. But now that I'm trying to get back on it, my family's insurance denied the prior authorization for it and now they want me to go on Conserta. But that also needs prior authorization despite being the medication they told me to get instead. Insurance companies are dumb as gently caress.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Ritalin made me feel too dizzy to drive and nothing else. Adderall however was a new lease on life. I'd never go for that swap.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Anyone here have experiences with using EMSAM?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Well I've been on Vyvanse 30mg for two whole days now.

It seems to work well for 6 to 7 hours and taper off after that. I still feel better afterward though from the reduced stress during the day, so that helps a lot too. It has been slow paced at work, so I don't have much to compare to yet.

I get in these fugue states where I just sit there and know I need to do something but just can't bring myself to even get up. I haven't had those at all, which is great.

The world just feels....calmer, I guess. I don't feel like I'm being inundated 24/7 with more than I can handle. I feel like I have a moment to pause before reacting to situations, which is great, and I don't feel the overwhelming urge to talk over people and spew out all my thoughts that I "just have to say".

We'll see how things go at home this weekend, since it is worn off by the time I get home from work. Hoping for good things.

I'm getting a new primary doc, because mine seems to care more about saving his own time since he's always running late, and has terrible bedside manner. My therapist recommend someone he really likes that understands all of this stuff.

Therapist says I have some good coping mechanisms already but I need to work a lot on relationship issues more than anything else.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I officially have ADHD hooray!

Started on concerta. At the grand age of 31.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Join the club, I'm almost 34. I think it's fairly common due to add being "just hyper active boys having no attention span from playing games and watching TV", instead of it being the more highly recognized medical issue it is now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Beastyfella posted:

Join the club, I'm almost 34. I think it's fairly common due to add being "just hyper active boys having no attention span from playing games and watching TV", instead of it being the more highly recognized medical issue it is now.

I think that a pretty large problem is the fact that it presents so differently in adults, and there isn't much awareness about all of the adult symptoms. I had no idea that I hadn't actually grown out of ADHD, but just experienced a typical change in symptoms, until my psych had me try out a stimulant.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Oh my loving god drugs are amazing!

I'm fighting off a cold at the moment so I'm not sure what is side effects and what is cold. But over all its a massive net positive.

Being able to focus on anything I choose is massive and not feeling tired all the time awesome. It's not doing anything for my memory or sleep but eh I have systems for them already.

The focus is a little bit of a double edge sword, cause I can really focus on video games now. But it's cool as long as I make a plan for the day I can stick to it. Oh I can have a conversation now without being rude.

Also all the systems that I had that only half worked before are so much easier to keep up with now.

Side effects so far are no hunger, cold hands and feet, walking fast?, possible headaches but that one might be the cold as they start when I wake up not when I take the meds.

All in all hooray!

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I feel like a junkie because I already know I need a booster for the latter part of the day. I am functional at work now, but the effects have been gone for a while by the time I get home with the kids from daycare, so I still wind up back as the foggy, forgetful, distracted, irritable, old me, which causes so much strife with my spouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Thats fine though right? Your just not on the right dose yet. I spoke to the psych about tolerances and she said often people who have grown used to the effect wernt on a high enough dose, and once on the correct dose then they don't get tolerant to the meds.