Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nerdrock posted:

My wife, a Social Studies teacher, covered Amiibos in some of her Government and Economics classes back when they first came out, and the economics behind them etc. She then asked me if I was going to buy any. "No" was my response. That christmas she bought me Kirby , and last year she bought me Wolf Link. Our younger dog has since murdered Kirby gruesomely. That's my amiibo story.
Dude, Wolf Link in BOTW! :yoshi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

I loving love the Switch.

I wanted to play Zelda, so picked up the pro controller, hit the button and two seconds later the Switch fired up Zelda right where I left it and even switched my TV over to it. I know some have said that maybe that's a glitch with Samsung TV's, but I like it. I went from zero to Zelda in 3 loving seconds. No system boot up. No choosing Zelda from a menu. No game boot up loading screen. No selecting your save file.

I want to play Zelda and three seconds and one button push later I'm playing Zelda.

The future of gaming is Nintendo.

Yo what Samsung TV do you have and have you had any issues getting the TV to remember the Switch (if you rename the HDMI port it's plugged in)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Kinda lookin forward to this one to see if it's any good for a cheapy pickup later for my Niece whenever she's over.

Just so long as it's not Watch me Whip because she's finally stopped doing that every 5 seconds :v:
Now if we can get her to stop dabbing we'll be golden

Goddammit

It's Watch Me Whip :cripes:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
:siren: VROOM IN THE NIGHT SKY IS OUT IN NORTH AMERICA :siren:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

:siren: VROOM IN THE NIGHT SKY IS OUT IN NORTH AMERICA :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZsFz42kYt8&t=8377s

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cartoon Man posted:

No system boot up. No choosing Zelda from a menu. No game boot up loading screen. No selecting your save file.

I want to play Zelda and three seconds and one button push later I'm playing Zelda.

The future of gaming is Nintendo.

Isn't that exactly what PSP, DS (and I assume 3DS and Vita), PS4 and Xbone have been doing for over a decade now?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rexroom posted:

Official trailer for NBA Playgrounds by EA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3a_s0EIYsc

This looks NBA Jam-ey enough for me. Hopefully it's like $20.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cardboard Box posted:

that's just what hd stuff has trended towards, super small text/ui elements. i get it, but it's not very good for people with eyesight issues, or smaller hdtv's for that matter. it'd be nice if there were size options.

You're not wrong, but it's exacerbated by the stupid font they use; it's basically impossible to read from any distance if you don't have decent eyesight. Zelda's font isn't huge, but it's designed so it's actually legible.

Funnily enough it's easy to read in handheld mode; it's almost like they keep it the same physical size between modes and just scale up the rest of the screen :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Which amiibo should I romance in Persona 5?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The saddest part is that they promised to fix the translation with a patch. It's Shine Get all over again.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wheany posted:

Isn't that exactly what PSP, DS (and I assume 3DS and Vita), PS4 and Xbone have been doing for over a decade now?

I tried rest mode yesterday on my PS4. It took about 10 seconds just to exit sleep, and it shut down my game anyway (Persona 5 -- dunno if certain games can't be slept or what.) it's slow as gently caress in comparison. Switch is super fast; in the time it takes you to push the home button and push any other button 3 times, you're back in whatever game you were playing. 3DS was about the same, maybe even faster because you could just open the clamshell and go.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The speed of the Switch UI is seriously impressive, especially coming off the Wii U.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

enojy posted:

I tried rest mode yesterday on my PS4. It took about 10 seconds just to exit sleep, and it shut down my game anyway (Persona 5 -- dunno if certain games can't be slept or what.) it's slow as gently caress in comparison. Switch is super fast; in the time it takes you to push the home button and push any other button 3 times, you're back in whatever game you were playing. 3DS was about the same, maybe even faster because you could just open the clamshell and go.

Sure, but the difference between 3 and 10 seconds is way smaller than 10 seconds and power up + load game + load save. Doing the same thing faster is not groundbreaking, just more convenient.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wheany posted:

Doing the same thing faster is not groundbreaking, just more convenient.

That's what my wife said last night :laffo:

Actually, that's a joke, I'm not married.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Takoluka posted:

lmao if you don't want to get a latte with isabelle while you play snipperclips together at the coffee shop

I'd grab coffee and lunch with any of my Animal Crossing friends.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I had to re-play the intro to Persona 5 because my PS4 went into Rest Mode and it shut down the game.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Wheany posted:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but suspend mode on my Xbone only seems to work about 20% of the time. I just unconsciously budget a couple minutes for startup and load time and am pleasantly surprised on the rare occasion my game was actually suspended. Switch's suspend has been waaaaay more reliable for me. (Being battery powered probably helps.)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

iajanus posted:

Funnily enough it's easy to read in handheld mode; it's almost like they keep it the same physical size between modes and just scale up the rest of the screen :v:

Monster Hunter 3U for the Wii U did this and it was hilarious/frustrating.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Isn't the entire point of Rest Mode the idea of "We went into low-power mode, so we can start back up immediately with little to no wait time"? I enjoy my PS4, but Rest Mode startup is not fast by any stretch of the imagination, especially when compared to the Switch's instant get-up-and-go.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rest mode on my PS4 pro seems alright?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

What game is that in the preview of this video? I don't recognize it but it looks Castlevania-ish.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I've had pretty good experience with it on Xbox but it has a lot to do with what type of game it is and if they have to connect to an online server.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Diabetic posted:

What game is that in the preview of this video? I don't recognize it but it looks Castlevania-ish.

Looks like the dumb shovel knight game.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Diabetic posted:

The Specter Knight campaign of Shovel Knight?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You all have busted ps4s because it literally takes the same amount of time if not quicker to boot up a game in rest on PS4 as it does on Switch

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Empress Brosephine posted:

You all have busted ps4s because it literally takes the same amount of time if not quicker to boot up a game in rest on PS4 as it does on Switch

Yeah this is true, switch is instant but PS4 is like 5 seconds not a big deal.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Are you saying you don't have the hots for Mr. Game and Watch? You're only lying to yourself.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
It's definitely not instant on my PS4, and it seems to vary by game, but like I said, the difference between "instant" and 10 seconds (and you continue exactly where you were) is smaller than loading the game, loading a save (and continuing the game from the last save point).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Amiidon't.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Amiidon't.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lego city might be the most overrated game of al time. What the hell did Wii U fans see in this game

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Is it hard being the most negative loving person on the planet?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lego city might be the most overrated game of al time. What the hell did Wii U fans see in this game

a release on the Wii U at the beginning of 2013.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I heard the Nintendo Switch invented the concept of making video games fun to play. Is this true? Can anyone confirm or deny?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Chairman Wao posted:

I heard the Nintendo Switch invented the concept of making video games fun to play. Is this true? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Not if it's lego city, bad game! Sad!

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Not if it's lego city, bad game! Sad!

So I was given Fake News?! :mad:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lego City is just ok. It's about in par with most Ubisoft open world games. As lot of people would vote that as an insult, but no insult intended. Those are mostly competent games with some issues that keep them from being really great. Lego City has a lot of minor problems that add up, but good level design and fun mechanics, once you actually are able to unlock them.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
loving Mr.Shifty is out next week now, i cant keep up with this poo poo. I was not expecting to buy so many drat games on this supposedly gameless console. I was gonna get zelda then super mario but now my home screen is hitting 16 titles ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Wao posted:

Perfected, not invented.

Easy mistake to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

You have a busted rear end Switch then because my PS4 Pro does not boot into anything under 10 seconds from Rest mode.

• Locked thread