Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

evilmiera posted:

No but there is a distinct vibe of the AI being refugees looking for a home who set out to seek new lives and their fortunes. You constantly have to tell the angarans not to compare you with the evil criminals that came before you and you have to deal with angaran nationalists who are basically paraphrasing right-wing talking points. Which would hit home harder if you hadn't stolen a bunch of planets from them (in the case of Kadara and the krogan desert planet an actual occupation) and put down army depots on top of their actual sacred ground.

The AI is only Mexicans to the extent it is the Conquistadors. Ambitious, chaotic adventurers with superior technology who can't go home, a home that is the fractious cooperative competition of many. The Kett are the Aztecs, the Angara are their subject people. Andromeda 2 will be the arrival of the English (a better organized Milky Way expedition in an adjacent cluster) as your society starts a downward slide due to incorporated Angaran influences. Andromeda 3 is you, the Asari child of an Angaran father, sneaking into that adjacent cluster and demanding affirmative action in their better society as recompense for their past enslavement of an unrelated race they brought over from the Milky Way.

Taear posted:

Their entire civilization couldn't attack a Kett facility that I did effectively single handed.

Right, conquistadors.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The AI is only Mexicans to the extent it is the Conquistadors. Ambitious, chaotic adventurers with superior technology who can't go home, a home that is the fractious cooperative competition of many. The Kett are the Aztecs, the Angara are there subject people. Andromeda 2 will be the arrival of the English (a better organized Milky Way expedition in an adjacent cluster) as your society starts a downward slide due to incorporated Angaran influences. Andromeda 3 is you, the Asari child of an Angaran father, sneaking into that adjacent cluster and demanding affirmative action in their better society as recompense for their past enslavement of an unrelated race they brought over from the Milky Way.

If we are going to go with subpar quality, instead of the superb quality of the original Mass Effects, I would not have problem buying MEA2 with a Asari child of a Angara father, or really any other race. I don't have to comment how awesome would be to roleplay a Krogan. But maybe this is too much a tall order.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tei posted:

If we are going to go with subpar quality, instead of the superb quality of the original Mass Effects, I would not have problem buying MEA2 with a Asari child of a Angara father, or really any other race. I don't have to comment how awesome would be to roleplay a Krogan. But maybe this is too much a tall order.

They can barely animate the humans, let's not raise the bar too much at once.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tei posted:

Lets not turn this into a pennis length contest, but

I like having a smaller ship. The #1 you do with your Stronghold in a Bioware game is run around and check in with all your NPCs, and it took take waaaaay to loving long to vist with everyone on the Normandy. Skyhold was even worse.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So are the Remnant the Maya?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I like having a smaller ship. The #1 you do with your Stronghold in a Bioware game is run around and check in with all your NPCs, and it took take waaaaay to loving long to vist with everyone on the Normandy. Skyhold was even worse.

MEA2 will take place in the escape pod.

DancingShade posted:

They can barely animate the humans, let's not raise the bar too much at once.

It could be easier to animate a alien race. Harder to get into uncanny valley territory, I think.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I am too lost in this metaphora or whatever, but I can say one thing with certain: The angaran are hosed, in a few generations they will be a minority in every planet, even their own. While Ryan try to be a mediator, I think he/she know this, because If you know the story of earth, you know that is how these things evolve.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 6, 2017

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I miss people calling me Commander :(

I hope I get a demotion in the sequel. Or promotion?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The Normandy was meant to be a combat ship, is bigger, and has pew pew guns on it, while the Tempest is a pure scout ship, with the size to match that, and lacks pewpew capabilities.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Tei posted:

Lets not turn this into a pennis length contest, but

I like the Tempest, with a couple issues.

No non squadmate crew bar Gil, Kallo and Suvi. I would have expected at least a few more people just on stations.

Pathfinder gets a loving huge room with no place to take a dump or shower. I would have been much happier to have a slightly smaller room with an en-suite :mad:

Also, did the Normandy SR2 ever actually land as in... land with gear? If I recall due to its vast size you either got tethered to a dock, or you were punted out in a shuttle.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
They hovered right over land in ME3 to let you jump on the tailgate, but no I don't think you ever see it land.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maize is remnant tech.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They hovered right over land in ME3 to let you jump on the tailgate, but no I don't think you ever see it land.

Didn't you do the same in the first ME1 mission?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tei posted:

I am too lost in this metaphora or whatever, but I can say one thing with certain: The angaran are hosed, in a few generations they will be a minority in every planet, even their own. While Ryan try to be a mediator, I think he/she know this, because If you know the story of earth, you know that is how these things evolve.

Angara sound like they gently caress like the space rabbits they are, so maybe not?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think I romanced Peebee b[cause I want to hate gently caress her. Is that wrong?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think I romanced Peebee b[cause I want to hate gently caress her. Is that wrong?

I'd never get laid if people didn't do this, so I say you're fine.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I'd never get laid if people didn't do this, so I say you're fine.

Is pity really a form of hate though?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Falken posted:

Also, did the Normandy SR2 ever actually land as in... land with gear? If I recall due to its vast size you either got tethered to a dock, or you were punted out in a shuttle.

Nope. One of the things lost in the rebuild was the ability to make atmospheric landings. Too big, had to use shuttles.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
What new bug will the patch introduce? Most pathetic and underwhelming buff?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I texted my wife, still waiting for a response.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You can call it whatever you want friend. Still works

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kaidan just has Carth Onasi's personality, which means endless mocking of his trust issues by a homicidal kill Droid.

I really miss having companions that actively try to make you totally and wholly evil. If Andromeda let you pick up Reyes as a squad mate after you romanced him and he spent the whole game convincing you that you could take over Kadara and live like a king that'd be rad as gently caress.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wrong? No, but ideally she'll break up with Ryder next game and since Ryder is such a pushover they'll just cry alone in the captain's cabin.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

I really miss having companions that actively try to make you totally and wholly evil. If Andromeda let you pick up Reyes as a squad mate after you romanced him and he spent the whole game convincing you that you could take over Kadara and live like a king that'd be rad as gently caress.

That had some sort of rhythm, like.. you would take the do-gooders for a mission, then other with the evil guys, then one with a mix of do-gooders and evil guys. And it was always entertain and varied. Sadly, Mass Effect is too deep into the Mary Sue archetype, and Mary Sue can't have flaws be racist.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This game has been really fun and I'm almost done. 100% on all planets and meridian is next.

The coolest weapon I've made is the remnant smg with extended clip and seeker rounds. It's a charge-->spray blindly forever and they die.

If you shotgun meelee build as a vanguard with hyperguardian armor and an asari sword V it's incredible. The level 6 shotgun perk that gives boost to shotgun damage after a meelee and boost to meelee after a shotgun hit, plus all those above boosts, is just holy poo poo.

Charge--> shotgun-->sword strike--> their body flies across the map.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't get no vanadium.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

Wrong? No, but ideally she'll break up with Ryder next game and since Ryder is such a pushover they'll just cry alone in the captain's cabin.

Alternatively she'll turn into a passive aggressive emotional manipulator and make the emotionally immature Ryder dance like a puppet to the disgusted looks of the rest of the crew.

Then break up with him/her but blame it all on Ryder. Then they get back together again. Then break up again, repeat etc etc

Lexi: "Ryder we really need to talk, come see me in medbay for counselling and some strong medication"

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Slowly transform the Bioware dream romances into nightmares from European dramatic cinema.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Imagine how much cooler Cora would be if she was a krogan weeaboo instead of an asari weeaboo. She could use the krogan headbutt melee instead of the normal one and shame Ryder about only having two testicles.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Turbl posted:

Imagine how much cooler Cora would be if she was a krogan weeaboo instead of an asari weeaboo. She could use the krogan headbutt melee instead of the normal one and shame Ryder about only having two testicles.

Imagine if Cora with her creepy serial killer smile turned her romance with Male_Ryder into a Kathy Bates from Misery situation.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Havarl is just absolutely killing any enjoyment I might get out of the single-player because the writing is so threadbare.

(1) I picked up all the quests at the lab you first land near. All of them look like annoying fetch or scan quests, except for the "examine ancient spaceship wreckage" one. So I beeline for that, only to find that it consists of fighting off a generic monster mob, hitting "Examine Alien Spaceship," and receiving "Ancient Alien Helmet." Quest updates that I should return the helmet to a scientist at the lab now that I've fetched it. gently caress you.

(2) I find Turian ark survivors while exploring. This should be a big deal; it's my first in-game confirmation that any of the other arks are around. I help them fight off a generic monster mob, then talk to their leader. He doesn't express surprise to see humans around. I don't express surprise to see Turians around. Vetra, who is in my party, has no lines. I do get another scanning quest though. gently caress me!

(3) I get to the top of the structure that has the angaran sages. I have a conversation with the sage where he brusquely informs me I have to leave, because this is a sacred place yada yada. Okay, fair enough. Then I exit the conversation and stroll around only to hear "deploying forward station" and boom, one of my big loving supply pods parks itself right on top of their sacred angarans-only clubhouse. Nobody remarks on this. gently caress OFF.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Turbl posted:

Ya know, it's funny, there's exactly one character in ME:A that I actively want to see more fleshed out, and that's the human with the Quarian name in the epilogue. Dayna vas Hyperion, I think it was. She mentioned Quarian godparents, but man, there's a story there.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Elotana posted:

(3) I get to the top of the structure that has the angaran sages. I have a conversation with the sage where he brusquely informs me I have to leave, because this is a sacred place yada yada. Okay, fair enough. Then I exit the conversation and stroll around only to hear "deploying forward station" and boom, one of my big loving supply pods parks itself right on top of their sacred angarans-only clubhouse. Nobody remarks on this. gently caress OFF.

This is an acceptable example of gameplay/story segregation, because if you had to do the entire platform jumping sequence every time you wanted to get up there, you'd see the Internet howling about that, and rightly so.

Admittedly, it would have been really easy to throw in a line or two handwaving it, but.....

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TheCenturion posted:

Ya know, it's funny, there's exactly one character in ME:A that I actively want to see more fleshed out, and that's the human with the Quarian name in the epilogue. Dayna vas Hyperion, I think it was. She mentioned Quarian godparents, but man, there's a story there.

I kinda feel like the three or four new folks they introduced in the epilogue are going to be major figures in the DLC. They got an awful lot of screentime considering

TheCenturion posted:

This is an acceptable example of gameplay/story segregation, because if you had to do the entire platform jumping sequence every time you wanted to get up there, you'd see the Internet howling about that, and rightly so.

Admittedly, it would have been really easy to throw in a line or two handwaving it, but.....

They coulda just made it a fast travel point without the forward station

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Blind Rasputin posted:

This game has been really fun and I'm almost done. 100% on all planets and meridian is next.

Do you do the tasks?

My best weapon so far is the Inferno IV which is a remnant sniper rifle. It's basically a laser beam and never runs out of ammo. While there's tonnes of ammo around anyway I just really like not ever having to worry.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

TheCenturion posted:

That's my point. I get why you want a spawn point for gameplay reasons. But it's just gross laziness to just have it squat there right after that conversation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Elotana posted:

(2) I find Turian ark survivors while exploring. This should be a big deal; it's my first in-game confirmation that any of the other arks are around. I help them fight off a generic monster mob, then talk to their leader. He doesn't express surprise to see humans around. I don't express surprise to see Turians around. Vetra, who is in my party, has no lines. I do get another scanning quest though. gently caress me!

When I told them I was the human pathfinder I thought they'd talk about the Nexus. Or do anything at all. It was really stupid.

I get the gameplay reasons for the forward station but the whole Sages bit made no sense at all. They're okay that the planet is dying, but where would they go? It took them a year to open the door even, they're so bizzare. And then sages saying they had heard of me and calling me Pathfinder felt even STRANGER.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pattonesque posted:

I kinda feel like the three or four new folks they introduced in the epilogue are going to be major figures in the DLC. They got an awful lot of screentime considering

They coulda just made it a fast travel point without the forward station

It just occurred to me that unless they change their naming structure there's going to be twenty thousand Quarians with the same ship-name. :v:

quote:

I get the gameplay reasons for the forward station but the whole Sages bit made no sense at all. They're okay that the planet is dying, but where would they go? It took them a year to open the door even, they're so bizzare. And then sages saying they had heard of me and calling me Pathfinder felt even STRANGER.

People defer to you and refer to you as Pathfinder literally five seconds after arriving on the Nexus, like in that First Murderer case. Who told you that? I hadn't even told the command structure that yet.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Taear posted:

Do you do the tasks?

My best weapon so far is the Inferno IV which is a remnant sniper rifle. It's basically a laser beam and never runs out of ammo. While there's tonnes of ammo around anyway I just really like not ever having to worry.

I do some tasks if they are easy but otherwise no. Just the majority of side quests and all main/planet/ally quests. There are a lot of surprisingly good side quests that at least give you the idea that you're helping the world. The eladeen water hole and the krogan lost girlfriend were good.

I'm working on movie night now it better be worth it. I'll try that rifle. Sniper rifles rock. Hard to give up the black widow V though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

I made a PAW VII which I think was a mistake because I just murder everything now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

People defer to you and refer to you as Pathfinder literally five seconds after arriving on the Nexus, like in that First Murderer case. Who told you that? I hadn't even told the command structure that yet.

This I'm a bit more forgiving of. This feels like they forgot you could talk to people before announcing yourself and there's no flag set for it if you do it the other way around. Alternatively there is a flag for it and it's broken.

The Angara calling you Pathfinder in the Sage area and saying "hey it's great you're here you can help me out" feels like lazy writing instead.

quote:

I do some tasks if they are easy but otherwise no. Just the majority of side quests and all main/planet/ally quests. There are a lot of surprisingly good side quests that at least give you the idea that you're helping the world. The eladeen water hole and the krogan lost girlfriend were good.
"Don't do the tasks!" seems to be the panacea for this game. I mean there's sloppy story bits (like the turians before) but it doesn't get as tiresome otherwise.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Taear posted:

"Don't do the tasks!" seems to be the panacea for this game. I mean there's sloppy story bits (like the turians before) but it doesn't get as tiresome otherwise.

All tasks -- everything where you FIND or SCAN or FETCH -- should be eschewed entirely in a theoretical ME:A2

Basically if they did a similar thing that they did in the transition from ME to ME2, that would be a huge benefit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Taear posted:

This I'm a bit more forgiving of. This feels like they forgot you could talk to people before announcing yourself and there's no flag set for it if you do it the other way around. Alternatively there is a flag for it and it's broken.

The Angara calling you Pathfinder in the Sage area and saying "hey it's great you're here you can help me out" feels like lazy writing instead.

I like to think a lot of Angara believe your name is Pathfinder.