Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Andrast posted:

I fail to see how people streaming or let's playing P5 would make it harder for you to stay spoiler free. It's not like you are forced to watch them.

until your youtube recommendations get flooded with GamingGrandpa69xXx's videos of "PERSONA 5 FINAL BOSS LOOK THERES A PICTURE OF HIM AND HIS FULL NAME"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

until your youtube recommendations get flooded with GamingGrandpa69xXx's videos of "PERSONA 5 FINAL BOSS LOOK THERES A PICTURE OF HIM AND HIS FULL NAME"

Yeah this, it happened with Nier for me

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

In response to it people have started explicitly going out of their way to spoil the game in unrelated areas in order to spite Atlus so it's actually having the exact opposite effect of that.

All publicity is good publicity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

All publicity is good publicity.

Considering how people are explicitly refusing to buy the game and making hyperbolic statements about how much it sucks over this that seems pretty provably untrue.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aurora posted:

Entitled gamers will be piss babies as usual

"This corporate practice is poo poo and we disagree with it"

"Lmao what a pissbaby"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

"This corporate practice is poo poo and we disagree with it"

"Lmao what a pissbaby"

So you think going around rampantly spoiling people just because you're mad at a company isn't being a pissbaby?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Considering how people are explicitly refusing to buy the game and making hyperbolic statements about how much it sucks over this that seems pretty provably untrue.

Most people who are explicit about these kind of things are usually so invested in the series they buy it anyway (see that Modern Warfare Boycott steam group picture where 90% are in-game).

Sales figures will eventually show whether this drama had any meaningful effect. I doubt it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Most people who are explicit about these kind of things are usually so invested in the series they buy it anyway (see that Modern Warfare Boycott steam group picture where 90% are in-game).

Sales figures will eventually show whether this drama had any meaningful effect. I doubt it.

It's not the insane diehard hardcores they're worried about. It's the people who would have been interested in the game based off its strong word of mouth who are instead getting hit with tons of stuff about how it's lovely. A game like Call of Duty can afford to lose those people a looooot more than a game like Persona can.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sassassin posted:

IP law is a minefield and if you don't aggressively defend your poo poo every now and again it causes even more trouble further down the line.

A little harmless flexing of corporate muscles is perfectly reasonable.

Ip laws aren't actually that aggressive if they were they would go zero tolerance rather than at random.

Especially in Japan.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

It's not the insane diehard hardcores they're worried about. It's the people who would have been interested in the game based off its strong word of mouth who are instead getting hit with tons of stuff about how it's lovely. A game like Call of Duty can afford to lose those people a looooot more than a game like Persona can.

The only reason I know it's out is because of the controversies.

Call of Duty didn't end up losing any sales.

Internet activists matter way less than they imagine to real world balance sheets.

Persona V won't flop because they messed with the rights of internet streamers.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I, for one, I am glad entertainment companies are telling me how I may use and enjoy my media at threat of legal action

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

multijoe posted:

legal action

:thinking:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

The only reason I know it's out is because of the controversies.

Call of Duty didn't end up losing any sales.

Internet activists matter way less than they imagine to real world balance sheets.

Persona V won't flop because they messed with the rights of internet streamers.

Nobody said Persona is gonna flop because of this. It's just going to get less word of mouth going since people can't watch other people play it. There is a reason other publisher don't forbid this stuff, it's free advertising.

An LP is the reason I'm a Persona fan.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I mean you can still post like 3 months of gameplay but nothing past 7/7 sooo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aurora posted:

Yeah this, it happened with Nier for me

Yeah, there was a lot of this on YouTube before the game made it to the US, and it was really irritating that I had to tweak with my recommendation settings because some jackwagon desperate for clicks wanted to spoil the game for me.

If people protesting the Atlus crap (which is admittedly garbage, to be fair) do so by finding other ways to spoil the game for everyone, then gently caress them. They are pissbabies. Throw Atlus the middle finger, but don't ruin the game for me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Unsolicited spoilers on Youtube are just the price we have to pay for for having a (relatively) free and open online society. Freedom isn't free.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do people actually look at youtube recommendations?

If you can't avoid looking at them and often see spoilers in them just get one of those things that block the recommendations wholesale.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh yeah thanks for spoiling that something big happens after 7/7 Atlus.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

chat thread

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

After 7/7, the universe gets destroyed due to losing in the Tournament of Power.

Now to calmly wait for Atlus to erase my post.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Defy your corporate overlords and watch DBZA on the TFS website where everything is still available I guess

I wonder why these takedowns happen so often and how they get them undone every time

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Defy your corporate overlords and watch DBZA on the TFS website where everything is still available I guess

I wonder why these takedowns happen so often and how they get them undone every time

I think anyone can submit a claim can't they

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Oh yeah thanks for spoiling that something big happens after 7/7 Atlus.

The funny thing is that it actually doesn't and it's an entirely arbitrary date.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aurora posted:

I think anyone can submit a claim can't they

YouTube basically puts all the responsibility of proving/disproving a claim on the person being who the claim is against yeah.

Someone at Toei is extremely petty at this point.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aurora posted:

So you think going around rampantly spoiling people just because you're mad at a company isn't being a pissbaby?

I guess I'm open to ideas about other things to do about it :v:

I suppose you're on Sega's board of directors and therefore have a shred of a chance in hell that they'll listen to a single word you say?

And before you say "vote with your wallet", if we considered "actually *don't* play the most anticipated RPG of this generation" to be an option, then that's what would be happening. As it is, mass-abandoning Persona as a franchise would really be more of a self-own, because it's not like Atlus doesn't have other things to do with their time.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If people had spent more money buying sweet Dragon Ball GT things, we wouldn't have Dragon Ball Super.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought a lot of the reason for this with P5 is that the Persona games are pretty much living or dying on their story and don't have a lot of "side material" or variation between playthroughs, so if you see someone 100% the playthrough, you've pretty much got the entire experience, save a few girlfriend-choice things and so forth.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Well, that is just going to cost them a customer, namely me.

the blocking thing is dumb but this is even more so

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nessus posted:

I thought a lot of the reason for this with P5 is that the Persona games are pretty much living or dying on their story and don't have a lot of "side material" or variation between playthroughs, so if you see someone 100% the playthrough, you've pretty much got the entire experience, save a few girlfriend-choice things and so forth.

It's the wrong argument, though. Like, the audience that's going to watch the stream/LP and also NOT buy their own copy of the game is like 90% people who weren't going to buy the game anyway. Atlus, or probably Sega technically, is mostly punishing actual enthusiasts, which would be the streamers themselves and the die-hards who want to see how other people are reacting to the game.

Some Japanese exec is on the phone right now, frantically trying to figure out how to stop 2 roommates from sharing a copy of the game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ip laws aren't actually that aggressive if they were they would go zero tolerance rather than at random.

Especially in Japan.

Still in favor of the very concept of Intellectual Property to die a miserable death, at this point laws supporting them cause more problems than they solve

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Still in favor of the very concept of Intellectual Property to die a miserable death, at this point laws supporting them cause more problems than they solve

Well they are still aggressive and are dumb as gently caress but not to the level he is implying.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

the blocking thing is dumb but this is even more so

My money, my free-time, gently caress off, get off my back. :colbert:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I guess I'm open to ideas about other things to do about it :v:

I suppose you're on Sega's board of directors and therefore have a shred of a chance in hell that they'll listen to a single word you say?

And before you say "vote with your wallet", if we considered "actually *don't* play the most anticipated RPG of this generation" to be an option, then that's what would be happening. As it is, mass-abandoning Persona as a franchise would really be more of a self-own, because it's not like Atlus doesn't have other things to do with their time.

I don't care what they do as long as they're not ruining the game for others.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
SO HOW ABOUT THOSE DRAGON BALLS

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

SO HOW ABOUT THOSE DRAGON BALLS
They're pretty super.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

What if Shenron had a gun

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Aurora posted:

Then he'd be stronger than Goku.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Aurora posted:

Bulma would wish for two guns.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If Farmer With A Shotgun has a power level of 5, what are the power levesl of the Farmer and the Shotgun separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spiritus Nox posted:

If Farmer With A Shotgun has a power level of 5, what are the power levesl of the Farmer and the Shotgun separately?

• Locked thread