Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Milotic posted:

Pika pika

Me [24F] with my [24M] guy of over a year, I want to break up by ghosting.

On the one hand, ghosting isn't a nice thing to do. On the other hand Mr "I want to keep my options open" is a jerk so he's got it coming.

I don't think he is a jerk though. She says he's been good to her and honest about what he wants. That's pretty good for /r/ . At least tell the dude first.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nazzadan posted:

I was re-watching it last month up until season like 6 and yeah you are 100% right.

-initial diagnosis is given, with a promise that the problem will be fixed instantly
-patient gets worse, cancer or fungal infection is thrown out as unlikely
-House reluctantly meets the patient, disagrees with them on a fundamental level about some philosophical issue
-patient continues to get worse, is told flat out that they are going to die
-House is eating dinner with Wilson or sitting in his office talking to an underling, has an epiphany
-Rube Goldberg-like medical condition causes an overly complicated cascading effect that causes the initial issue, usually environmentally caused

Yet I just kept watching.

Yeah I mean they aren't gonna make an episode about it when he's right the first time and the patient is cured!!!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about being boring. If someone not having snacks around when you visit their house causes you to have interpersonal problems with them, then it's you. You are the true weirdo.

i dunno where you got this "snacks" talking point from because the guy says his gf keeps next to no food in the house and makes him take his leftovers home. either you didn't read carefully or you're doing that goon thing where you purposely mischaracterize what's going on to make the people disagreeing with you seem unreasonable

in reality it's not healthy to keep your pantry effectively bare as part of your diet plan. maybe if you were broke sure but this:

quote:

she says she can't trust herself around food. She's pretty liberal when she eats socially (booze, bread, pizza, burgers, candy, whatever) but at home she has one of the most consistently empty kitchens I've ever seen. Even if I bring food over, she'll make me take the leftovers home. I'm not exaggerating.

she says she can't trust herself around food, even leftovers. it's good that she's aware of her problem but banishing food from her house is not a good long term strategy to deal with it. most people use their kitchen to store food and if this woman doesn't use the kitchen for that purpose like pretty much everyone else does then it's just as weird as not having a bed in your bedroom

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I mean they aren't gonna make an episode about it when he's right the first time and the patient is cured!!!

I kept waiting for a twist that the initial diagnosis is correct, the patient is cured in the first 5 minutes and the next 45 is just inter-office drama among the main cast.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have no pre-prepared food and that includes snacks; guess I have an eating disorder too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Occasionally you get a really cool one like the one where's he giving the lecture with the three stories.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

boner confessor posted:

she says she can't trust herself around food, even leftovers. it's good that she's aware of her problem but banishing food from her house is not a good long term strategy to deal with it. most people use their kitchen to store food and if this woman doesn't use the kitchen for that purpose like pretty much everyone else does then it's just as weird as not having a bed in your bedroom

It's not completely empty just nothing outside of meals

quote:

She literally eats the same thing for each meal every single day. I don't want to reveal what the meals are but imagine very simple things that can be prepared in bulk for the week. The problem is that she refuses to keep any other food in her place. 

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

fruit on the bottom posted:

Occasionally you get a really cool one like the one where's he giving the lecture with the three stories.

True, that episode ruled

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

boner confessor posted:

i dunno where you got this "snacks" talking point from because the guy says his gf keeps next to no food in the house and makes him take his leftovers home. either you didn't read carefully or you're doing that goon thing where you purposely mischaracterize what's going on to make the people disagreeing with you seem unreasonable

in reality it's not healthy to keep your pantry effectively bare as part of your diet plan. maybe if you were broke sure but this:

she says she can't trust herself around food, even leftovers. it's good that she's aware of her problem but banishing food from her house is not a good long term strategy to deal with it

Read again:

quote:

She literally eats the same thing for each meal every single day. I don't want to reveal what the meals are but imagine very simple things that can be prepared in bulk for the week.

She does keep food in her house. She just preps it for the week. She just doesn't keep other food around, AKA "snacks".

She's been doing this for 2 years so apparently it works pretty well as a long-term strategy! There is nothing actually inherently unhealthy about this. You just think it's strange.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Biopsy the stomach. When the tests come back negative, start her on a broad range spectrum of antibiotics. If we're right she'll be fine by breakfast and if we're not, the new symptoms should tell us where the infection is hiding.

Also God is dead, love is a lie, and compassion is for suckers. See you next season, folks!

(Currently watching House all the way through. There has been maybe one episode without the above exchange)

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

COMRADES posted:

To be fair call center -> food service -> retail have to be the worst jobs to have in the USA and I don't blame him for not sticking those out.

I got to the part where he wants to be a blacksmith though and my sympathy kind of diminished.

Yeah, I thought he was an idiot but I sympathized with feeling directionless so you keep wanting to chase after your next dream hoping it's the thing that will make you happy. Then it blacksmith and I realized he's loving retarded. That's like if my search for what I really wanted ended at "rodeo clown."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I saw that one last night.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Xombie posted:

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about being boring. If someone not having snacks around when you visit their house causes you to have interpersonal problems with them, then it's you. You are the true weirdo.

There's a big difference between what you'[re saying and what the original post says

quote:

She barely keeps any food in her apartment. She literally eats the same thing for each meal every single day. I don't want to reveal what the meals are but imagine very simple things that can be prepared in bulk for the week. The problem is that she refuses to keep any other food in her place.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I Was The Fury posted:

I [29] would like to move on with my GF [26] but I don't know how we can merge food preferences
Same. If it's there I will eat the poo poo out of it, historically, although lately not so much. Unless it's someone else's. Which sounds like I could live with someone just fine because I just wouldn't eat their poo poo? The food I meal prep is pretty samey but that's because I like it and I combine it with a variety of veggies/tortillas or bagels or similar bready stuff/cheeses/seasonings. I eat a pound (uncooked, I cook it, it weighs less than a pound) of lightly seasoned chicken breast probably 5/7 days of the week most weeks. If not 6-7 days. The other "big meal" of the day varies a lot and I don't meal prep it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 6, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

"This vexes me" gets me every time

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a big difference between what you'[re saying and what the original post says

Not really, how diverse do you think human's diets have historically been? Could be pizza, gumbo, curry, or something else nutritionally complete.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blacksmithing can be a good job, especially if you go high market and do things like custom fireplaces, gates, banisters, etc.

It also takes decades of training and commitment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Not really, how diverse do you think human's diets have historically been? Could be pizza, gumbo, curry, or something else nutritionally complete.
He even says in the comments that it's something where she can vary what goes into it. It's dumb that he won't just say it, but whatever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Significantly more varied than one type of food for every meal every day.

I don't buy snacks and I manage to eat different meals.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Hahahah maybe it's Soylent

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

"Extremely boring" then? Should we break out a thesaurus?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

Read again:

She does keep food in her house. She just preps it for the week. She just doesn't keep other food around, AKA "snacks".

She's been doing this for 2 years so apparently it works pretty well as a long-term strategy! There is nothing actually inherently unhealthy about this. You just think it's strange.

yeah it works pretty well up until the point that it's causing friction in her interpersonal relationships, aside from the fact that it's interfering with her ability to form a household with another person it's a totally adequate coping mechanism for an eating disorder

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

He even says in the comments that it's something where she can vary what goes into it. It's dumb that he won't just say it, but whatever.

it's mac and cheese

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Xombie posted:

"Extremely boring" then? Should we break out a thesaurus?

It's pretty unhealthy to only eat the same thing at every meal every day

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"you know aside from the fact that she goes far out of her way to make sure her commute doesn't go past a bar or a liquor store because she can't trust herself around alcohol she's doing very well at coping with her alcohol problem"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nonononononono

There is a horrible misunderstanding of nutrition in general, this is pretty much it 100%

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

boner confessor posted:

yeah it works pretty well up until the point that it's causing friction in her interpersonal relationships, aside from the fact that it's interfering with her ability to form a household with another person it's a totally adequate coping mechanism for an eating disorder

What you described is no different than what vegans or people with severe food allergies go through. They also don't have eating disorders.

Only if you aren't getting nutrition, which the guy described no trace of. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about eating the same thing all the time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

nonononononono

There is a horrible misunderstanding of nutrition in general, this is pretty much it 100%

How much soylent do you drink?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

What you described is no different than what vegans or people with severe food allergies go through. They also don't have eating disorders.

i mean i guess you could compare this to a severe food allergy if we assume that she's healthy despite being allergic to 99% of food, sure

Xombie posted:

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about eating the same thing all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant/restrictive_food_intake_disorder

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Hahahah maybe it's Soylent

This was my first thought lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I mean, in the comments he certainly makes it sound like basically a meal template that you can vary by putting different things in it. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Exactly like the other poster said, if it's something like curry or gumbo it could be very different from week to week while being the same "meal".

Also, it's two meals - different for lunch and dinner.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How much soylent do you drink?
I only drink water
:goonsay:
i love food, even mill my own flour, but such a lovely early 90s understanding of nutrition is terrible.

boner confessor posted:

i mean i guess you could compare this to a severe food allergy if we assume that she's healthy despite being allergic to 99% of food, sure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant/restrictive_food_intake_disorder

there is literally nothing indicating a picky eater in the post

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

nonononononono

single source feeding doesn't work. science's grasp of nutrition isn't established well enough to figure out how much of everything one person needs because we don't even know what all the different parts do yet. eat a wide variety of foodstuffs to make sure you get all the nutrients. also grow all of your own vegetables by making GBS threads in martian dirt and scrape the filth off your body with olive oil and long sticks, as the romans once did. #ancientwisdom

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I mean, in the comments he certainly makes it sound like basically a meal template that you can vary by putting different things in it. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Exactly like the other poster said, if it's something like curry or gumbo it could be very different from week to week while being the same "meal".

Yea I mean say smoothie for breakfast salad for lunch chicken made some way plus some kind of veg for dinner

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really it's not like it's any less weird if she optimizes her macro/micro nutrition in her sunday night giant pot meals to prevent scurvey because it's still just her way of avoiding not putting food in her pantry which is not a healthy coping mechanism for her admitted eating disorder

like there's such a thing as being really strict about your fitness diet but preventing people from storing half a burrito in your fridge because you'll be compelled to eat it is simply not a healthy mindset

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
is eating olives and pickled peppers every few minutes a nutritious diet?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

single source feeding doesn't work. science's grasp of nutrition isn't established well enough to figure out how much of everything one person needs because we don't even know what all the different parts do yet. eat a wide variety of foodstuffs to make sure you get all the nutrients. also grow all of your own vegetables by making GBS threads in martian dirt and scrape the filth off your body with olive oil and long sticks, as the romans once did. #ancientwisdom

That's not in the scope of the post though and nothing the OP posted indicates malnutrition or the bulk prep isn't diverse. Regardless, she goes at it socially and gets the munchies hard.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

is eating olives and pickled peppers every few minutes a nutritious diet?

I sure hope so

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I only drink water
:goonsay:
i love food, even mill my own flour, but such a lovely early 90s understanding of nutrition is terrible.

I don't give a poo poo about the nutritional side, it's an eating disorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't give a poo poo about the nutritional side, it's an eating disorder
No, it's not. Go into YLLS and tell them all they have an eating disorder.