Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So long as one of them isn't revealed to not REALLY be the Master after all or that they make out or something stupid, I will be very happy to have Simms back.

God knows Moffat can't do anything worse to his Master that RTD did already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

God knows Moffat can't do anything worse to his Master that RTD did already

Let's not jinx it.

Really looking forward to both Masters inevitably betraying each other.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can see how it would annoy people, but I honestly wouldn't particularly care if any of the still-alive Masters, male or female, made out with each other, because it totally seems like something the Master would do.

I hope they try to work together but can't stop double-crossing themselves, finally united together when the Doctor starts moralizing at them about how they're their own weakness, because he's just so annoying to both Masters that he finally gets them on the same page.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Simm isn't the only Master whose back. Though you're eventual appreciation of this fact will depend on how you felt about Tarkin in Rogue One.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

Simm isn't the only Master whose back. Though you're eventual appreciation of this fact will depend on how you felt about Tarkin in Rogue One.

Oh god; I hope they aren't making CGI doubles of Ainley and Delgado. Tarkin was barely out of the uncanny valley, and the BBC Mill doesn't have nearly the experience that ILM does.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A Cyberman comes in and kills the Doctor, causing him to regenerate, just as he's about to stop the Masters' plans. Missy sheds a single tear and says "Original me?" just as Cyber-Delgado salutes and flies off into the sky.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

This is a terrifying possibility.

I love you, for the record. Please don't get in trouble for sharing this stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

I thought Tarkin was great and the Internet was being its usual reactionary self, so bring on zombie Delgado/Ainley.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

jivjov posted:

Oh god; I hope they aren't making CGI doubles of Ainley and Delgado. Tarkin was barely out of the uncanny valley, and the BBC Mill doesn't have nearly the experience that ILM does.

If the budget is tight, maybe they'll recreate one or the other using a Thunderbirds-style puppet with the Master supplying absolutely no explanation for how he ended up in that state.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Doctor Who has a long history of re-assembling footage of dead actors so if Ainley and Delgado were ressurected I wouldn't be surprised. I'd still rather have MacQueen.

Now if they could snag Roberts...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Now I will say, I loved Tarkin being in the movie because I am a gigantic fan of Peter Cushing and I love the fact that I could see him in a movie made in the year 2017, even if we aren't QUITE there yet with the effects to pull it off.

I just dread what this is going to look like because the BBC does not have the budget that Disney had.

The BBC doesn't have the budget Terminator Genesis had either.

loving Christ, the BBC doesn't have the budget Terminator SALVATION had.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If it's a just a quick visual thing, like the Doctors together in 50th Anniversary special, I'm fine with it, but if they have somebody else doing their voices, I just think it's tacky and disrespectful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Review of the first episode looks interesting:

https://www.cnet.com/news/doctor-who-season-10-opens-with-a-new-pilot-episode-peter-capaldi-steven-moffat-pearl-mackie/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

Doctor Who has a long history of re-assembling footage of dead actors so if Ainley and Delgado were ressurected I wouldn't be surprised. I'd still rather have MacQueen.

I'd really dig it if they got Geoffrey Beevers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

PriorMarcus posted:

Oof. That's a bucket of icewater poured over my excitement at Simm being back.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't imagine he would cost all that much. Or that his schedule is all that full. Unless he's in rehab again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Obviously they're going to bring back Peter Cushing.

As the Master.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd really dig it if they got Geoffrey Beevers.

At the very least, you could convincingly get about 4 Masters who would look exactly like how they should: Simm, Gomez, MacQueen and Beevers in makeup. Five if you get Derek Jacobi, six if you get a badly rendered CGI snake.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ms Boods posted:

If the budget is tight, maybe they'll recreate one or the other using a Thunderbirds-style puppet with the Master supplying absolutely no explanation for how he ended up in that state.

Um, hello, post-Planet of Fire? We can finally get the Master re-bigulation story Big Finish continues to deny us.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My friend didn't realise Tarkin was CGI because he wasn't familiar enough with Peter Cushing to know he was dead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love that technically speaking, the Ed Delgado Master was like his 13th regeneration. Then he stole some bodies for awhile and even though he died repeatedly, never explained how he was still around. I'm almost mad that Davies provided an actual explanation for why he was just a Time Lord with regenerations again. I sort of wish David Tennant had yelled "How are you regenerating? How are you even still alive?" and he'd just shrugged and said "Gotcha!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I can't wait for Gomez-Master to kill Simm-Master so there are two Gomez-Masters.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

quote:

returning for the first time in over 50 years – the Mondasian Cybermen.

Are they saying the Cybermen appearing throughout the classic series are something different?

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Okay, so I guess it's actually happening... I stand corrected. I'll forcibly stamp my hopes down just so that I can wind up pleasantly surprised if it manages to be good, though.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I can't wait for Gomez-Master to kill Simm-Master so there are two Gomez-Masters.

I have wanted that since Missy first showed up.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

all-Rush mixtape posted:

that's actually really really Moffat-esque

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

I'll forcibly stamp my hopes down just so that I can wind up pleasantly surprised if it manages to be good, though.

this should be the motto of this thread

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheezle posted:

Are they saying the Cybermen appearing throughout the classic series are something different?

Yeah, it's an over-correction (especially since Mondasian Cybermen have been in the revival as well - there are only like two serials with the other kind.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

Okay, so I guess it's actually happening... I stand corrected. I'll forcibly stamp my hopes down just so that I can wind up pleasantly surprised if it manages to be good, though.

It's too cool of a premise for whoever writes and directs this episode to not gently caress it up, anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I thought after they recycled a Ninth story Cyberman suit in the Pandorica episode and tried to pass it off as a Mondas Cyberman, they acknowledged the mistake, made new bodies, and they've been like that since?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Moffat is doing a Multi-Master episode? Just when you thought he'd run out of boxes to tick off! :allears:

Very stoked about this. Simm alone coming back to play off Gomez will be fantastic!! If we get more, that'll be even better. I don't have a huge issue with the CGI stuff or other actors. Jacobi would be easy, Roberts not so much but he wasn't a Gallifreyan body so I could live without it (sorry CGI Snake :( ). Technically Beevers/Pratt is often said to be a degenerated form of Delgado, so while seeing Delgado at the height of his suaveness would be aces, either of them could stand in. If they aren't supposed to be him, they can have Pratt and/or Beevers show up sans makeup as a totally different, previously unseen pre decayed Master. So that just leaves CGI Ainley.

Will also chime in to say I'd love to see MacQueen show up, both as a further canonization of Big Finish, but also because I just finally got around to Dark Eyes II and I finally see what ya'll have been talking about when you say how great he is. To be honest, I could hear enough of Delgado in his performance that if they'd wanted to have him Treloar it up as Delgado I'd have totally bought it. I haven't heard much of him but he's one of the greats IMO.

Dabir posted:

Obviously they're going to bring back Peter Cushing.

As the Master.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I've always suspected that most Big Finish writers had a "The X Masters" script sitting half-finished on their hard drive, only they didn't quite know where to go with it. Never thought I'd see it on the show proper.

This stupid show always finds a way to make me hopeful again after each previous series.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

If it's a just a quick visual thing, like the Doctors together in 50th Anniversary special, I'm fine with it, but if they have somebody else doing their voices, I just think it's tacky and disrespectful.
If Moffat repeats that moment with a full line up of Masters after some big triumphant moment which ends on a cliffhanger I think I would be able to forgive at least some of his sins.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gorn Myson posted:

If Moffat repeats that moment with a full line up of Masters after some big triumphant moment which ends on a cliffhanger I think I would be able to forgive at least some of his sins.

Hopefully the entire episode will be a Day of the Master multi-Master episode where they team up and are the protagonists and the Doctor is barely in it. :allears:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

After The War posted:

Um, hello, post-Planet of Fire? We can finally get the Master re-bigulation story Big Finish continues to deny us.

Well, yeah, but I'm suggesting he remain a Thunderbirds-style puppet, to save the BBC a bit of pocket money.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

Hopefully the entire episode will be a Day of the Master multi-Master episode where they team up and are the protagonists and the Doctor is barely in it. :allears:

The Midday of the Master.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

so glad they appear to be gearing up to rehash my least favorite era of this dumb space show :thumbsup:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Ha, awesome.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, I'm worried now. Moffat is claiming "Brain melting revelations" this season. That can't be good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

The Midday of the Master.

"No sir, all thirteen!"

*HISSSSS*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Kilo147 posted:

Well, I'm worried now. Moffat is claiming "Brain melting revelations" this season. That can't be good.

This is the last time he can do something like that. Things might get unrestrained even for him.

Maybe he'll try to cover the Valeyard, since he managed to do the "last regeneration" story. Maybe he'll answer "human on my mother's side". Who knows.

• Locked thread