Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is a bloody crying shame if ever there was one.

Imagine having to pay tax on what you earn?! Won't someone think of the squeezed middle (sized portfolio holders).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Goons, join us for Question Time in #ukgoons (synirc) for final Question Time before Easter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmnoiQWzyGg

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Corbyn needs to just keep throwing out cool lefty policies that get people mad and NOT walk back on them.

Part of the issue is that we're in the middle of an electoral cycle. Throwing out policies might give you some positive media coverage but it's rapidly eroded. Then by the time the election comes around suddenly you have nothing to announce and the Tories have already laid the groundwork to discredit half your policies and steal the other half.

Just look at Labour's free childcare plan at the last election. The Tories stole it, bunged a few extra hours on and suddenly they were the party of free childcare. Nevermind that their implementation is an underfunded and non-functional farce, the fact is that they took a Labour promise and nullified it. To quote a Tory minister of the time, they 'shot Labour's fox'. Announcing policies way before the election dramatically reduces their impact.

Having said all that though, I'd love it if Corbyn lived up to his 'loony left' persona and shouted loudly about maximum wages and nationalising the crap out of everything every day. It couldn't harm his popularity, and getting those ideas into the public consciousness would be a good thing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cerv posted:

quoting a post from ages ago, but no-one replied directly.
the mistake you've made is taking the one factual point (relating to Haavara agreement) out of Livingstone's mess and seen that it's correct, then generalised that into everything he said "is in fact true". Not your fault, he's been deliberately encouraging that by repeatedly coming out with the "all I said was…" line.
but that's not all he said. he spun a lot of conclusions out of that point, which you'd have a hard time finding any twentieth century historian to agree with.

david baddiel explains this a lot better https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/06/ken-livingstone-hitler-zionism-jews

And as Baddiel points out, you can't read Mein Kampf without getting the impression that Hitler wanted to exterminate the Jews.

Well, you can't read Mein Kampf most times. Hitler's skill at writing was matched in awfulness only by his skill at art.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Well, you can't read Mein Kampf most times. Hitler's skill at writing was matched in awfulness only by his skill at art.
I liked his watercolour of the old registry office in Munich. It was probably the high point of his career, being much better than both his earlier postcards of local architecture and his later mass killings.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I mean, he could have just been painting the Groverhaus…

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Igiari posted:

Sorry to bring up a thing from pages ago but how does one go about getting involved in this? I am a Labour member but I've not gotten anything about this. Any advice would be welcome.

Hmm, this was an official central Labour email, so you might want to give them a buzz if you're not on the mailing list for whatever reason, or check your spam.

Mine was from "theteam@labour.org.uk via bounce.bluestatedigital.com" on 17 March if that helps you narrow it down:

quote:

Dear Prince John

Last year I said that I wanted us to reconnect with our values and our people, so we can rebuild and transform Britain, for the many, not just the few.

To do this we need to hear from you, our members, to harness your views, passions and expertise.

At conference I set out ten pledges outlining my priorities. I asked Labour's National Policy Forum to build on this work, to develop Labour's thinking in these and other key areas.

Today we are launching eight new consultation documents on key issues we'd like your opinions on:

Find out more and get involved

The consultation period runs until Wednesday, 31 May 2017. I hope that you, other members and local parties will take the opportunity to read the documents and send in your comments and ideas.

The more people that get involved, the stronger and better our policy making process is.

The best and easiest way to send in your ideas and join the discussion is via our online home of policy making: https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk. (You'll need to register an account or use your Labour Login)

By standing up for what we believe in; by engaging people as we develop our policies; and by building a policy platform together, we can deliver our vision of a more just and better Britain.

Yours,

Jeremy Corbyn MP
Leader of the Labour Party

Picture the 'find out more and get involved' as a big red button, and that's basically it.

NB: For people who keep thinking Labour has no policies, the What Labour Stands For document outlines the key policies that will be fleshed out by the National Policy Forum. There's a paragraph or two fleshing out each point in the pdf:

quote:

1. Full Employment
2. Secure Homes Guarantee
3. Security at work
4. A secure NHS and social care
5. A national education service
6. Action to secure our environment
7. Put the public back into our economy
8. Cut inequality in income and wealth
9. Action to secure an equal society
10. Peace and justice at the heart of foreign policy

Alertrelic posted:

Later, the SNP implemented a watered-down version a few years ago (without touching private schools, of course). This was still opposed by Labour.

Good to see signs of progress in England at least.

The difference appears to be that the SNP were proposing an unfunded policy and Labour didn't want to see cuts to other parts of the school budget when poor children were already eligible for free school meals.

In this case, the Labour proposal is being fully funded by a VAT increase.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
They aren't policies Prince John.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Dear God, Labour has been mentioned on Question Time without the question being some variant of 'why are they so awful?'

Seems to be a popular policy too.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

jabby posted:

Seems to be a popular policy too.
gently caress the voters. Lets find out what the Daily Mail thinks and then roll back on it if they don't like it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Rayner's piece in New Statesman is a masterstroke as well. She's pointed out that the policy was one that was put forward at one point by Gove and was Tory policy at one point, thus undercutting any attempt by the Tories to oppose it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Skinty McEdger posted:

Rayner's piece in New Statesman is a masterstroke as well. She's pointed out that the policy was one that was put forward at one point by Gove and was Tory policy at one point, thus undercutting any attempt by the Tories to oppose it.

Yeah but it was done under a different PM so it's really not that hard to oppose. Especially when so much of the press is mad they might have to send their beloved Tarquin to school with the poor.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

How long until our laws our finally chosen by polls on the Daily Mail website?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is a bloody crying shame if ever there was one: https://www.ft.com/content/adb040ce-1959-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87

A major selloff could push house prices down quickly.

This line (emphasis added obv.) manages to expose the governments real agenda with just one word. - "As the new tax year dawns on Thursday, the government will begin its phased withdrawal of higher-rate tax relief on mortgage interest for buy-to-let, one of a series of measures designed to curb the growth of the amateur landlord market."

TinTower posted:

My mother gave me a facsimile copy of the 1940 satire Mein Rant for Christmas, it's much more readable.

R. F. Patterson* versifying Hitler posted:

Vol. 1 Part XII. First Stage of Nazis

Just here I don't propose to retail
Our ideology in detail,
I shall require another ream
Of paper for so grand a theme.

Our movement's great foundation-stone
Is force, but is not force alone;
A Thug who's resolute can stifle
A cowardly fellow with a rifle.

Our movement therefore fosters hate
'Gainst other parties in the state,
For hatred's better far at striking
A deadly blow than mere disliking.

*Pictures by W. Heath Robinson

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tim Farron seriously proposing using UK planes to create a no-fly zone over Syria, saying that doing nothing is 'unacceptable'.

Yeah because war with Russia would be awesome, you loving idiot.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

EmptyVessel posted:

This line (emphasis added obv.) manages to expose the governments real agenda with just one word. - "As the new tax year dawns on Thursday, the government will begin its phased withdrawal of higher-rate tax relief on mortgage interest for buy-to-let, one of a series of measures designed to curb the growth of the amateur landlord market."
I'm not sure that actually was Gideon's goal, but replacing amateurs with corporate landlords would probably be a good thing on the whole. As a rather better writer than me once put it:
There is great variation in what the slum-dwellers say about their landlords. I found — one might expect it, perhaps — that the small landlords are usually the worst. It goes against the grain to say this, but one can see why it should be so. Ideally, the worst type of slum landlord is a fat wicked man, preferably a bishop, who is drawing an immense income from extortionate rents. Actually, it is a poor old woman who has invested her life’s savings in three slum houses, inhabits one of them, and tries to live on the rent of the other two — never, in consequence, having any money for repairs.

Regardless, more stuff about OUR ROCK, THE MOST IMPORTANT AND BEST ROCK EVER:

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Did noone at the sun proof read that.
I mean, I like the Spanish, but not that much.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

gently caress national service - I ain't dying for some other cunts beliefs. Let the highly paid trained killers do it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Giving new meaning to a hard Brexit.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

That's quite the generous offer by the Sun editorial team.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

I'm not sure that actually was Gideon's goal, but replacing amateurs with corporate landlords would probably be a good thing on the whole. As a rather better writer than me once put it:
There is great variation in what the slum-dwellers say about their landlords. I found — one might expect it, perhaps — that the small landlords are usually the worst. It goes against the grain to say this, but one can see why it should be so. Ideally, the worst type of slum landlord is a fat wicked man, preferably a bishop, who is drawing an immense income from extortionate rents. Actually, it is a poor old woman who has invested her life’s savings in three slum houses, inhabits one of them, and tries to live on the rent of the other two — never, in consequence, having any money for repairs.

I wasn't suggesting the government cares at all about tenants, more that landlordism was being kept for the 'right sort'.

LemonDrizzle posted:

That poo poo's tacky as gently caress, when I worked there they used to arrange the spotlights so that from Spain the rock looked like a skull.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

LemonDrizzle posted:

Jesus, I know they want to blow their load on Spain but couldn't they have waited til one of our esteemed politicos starts insulting Italy before they roll out Michael Caine?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is a bloody crying shame if ever there was one: https://www.ft.com/content/adb040ce-1959-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87

A major selloff could push house prices down quickly.

Surely they'd just get bought by other landlords with money/land developers for flats?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If they'd projected that front page so you get an infinite tunnel of rocks and blown off senors that would be pretty cool, instead of blowing themselves off

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

LemonDrizzle posted:

I mean, seriously, companies these days are like 30% Spanish immigrants thanks to high unemployment in Spain... did no one at the Sun tell the journalists that it's "SEÑORES"?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/850024058569859072

The most Corbyn of tweets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

did no one at the Sun tell the journalists that it's "SEÑORES"?
You think they have tildes in their typesets?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
You guys wanna come with us on a middle eastern invasion again? Old time's sake?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

You think they have tildes in their typesets?

murdoch fired all the typeset guys quite some time ago

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The Mail used a photoshop of trump from this GBS thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814543&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

down1nit posted:

It's true.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

oh loving hell http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39523654

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Surely they'd just get bought by other landlords with money/land developers for flats?

Yeah plus they'd pay less tax than amateur landlords do currently. This thread can be so short sighted sometimes.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Well poo poo. Here we go.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Assad is a total oval office and definitely deserves to get his poo poo pushed in and Russia aint gonna do anything except whine and complain because when push comes to shove they can only pick on places like loving Georgia openly. They had to sneak into Ukraine via the back door.

I dont see what the big deal is tbh.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

I dont see what the big deal is tbh.

Because imperialism is poo poo and if history has taught us anything it's that getting rid of him will just put someone worse in charge.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
At least this time there's no doubt whatsoever about the presence of WMDs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
France still has the receipts.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

Because imperialism is poo poo and if history has taught us anything it's that getting rid of him will just put someone worse in charge.

Someone worse than the guy using torture prisons and gassing his own citizens
hmm... interesting opinion op

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

At least this time there's no doubt whatsoever about the presence of WMDs.

I heard on the radio the suggestion that a conventional bomb hit a rebel munitions dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Oberleutnant posted:

Someone worse than the guy using torture prisons and gassing his own citizens
hmm... interesting opinion op

why do you love al-qaeda Ober?!?!?! Why don't you support anti-imperialist The Lion Assad!??!?!?!

• Locked thread