Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, Kristin Schaal from 2002.

She would've been good for a version of the character at some point. But she really doesn't work for the character in the (terrific) current comic which I assume this version will be based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snowman_McK posted:

I love this loving shot, as an army of hovercars fire explosive lasers at crowded road and hit one person, maybe. Seriously, there's one person in that shot who isn't explicitly shown to be okay. I'm not sure I've ever seen a shot work in such a convoluted way to undermine the assumed point.

If Kristen Schaal isn't cast, what's the loving point?

I'd accept Kate Micucci.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There is no shortage of actresses who could be a good squirrel girl. I'm guessing Kristen Schall probably already has too much work to do a freeform show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

parallelodad posted:

There is no shortage of actresses who could be a good squirrel girl. I'm guessing Kristen Schall probably already has too much work to do a freeform show.

Anna Kendrick has been pretty public about wanting to play her as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't wait to watch Anna Kendrick in her breakout role on a 3rd-tier Marvel TV show on ABC Family the Freeform entertainment network.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

I'd accept Kate Micucci.

She may be too disconcertingly squirrel-like.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

I love this loving shot, as an army of hovercars fire explosive lasers at crowded road and hit one person, maybe. Seriously, there's one person in that shot who isn't explicitly shown to be okay. I'm not sure I've ever seen a shot work in such a convoluted way to undermine the assumed point.

There're two people on the left that are definitely at least hosed up but that's it I think

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thrawn527 posted:

I'd accept Kate Micucci.

https://twitter.com/katemicucci/status/779113735558352896

Okay I'm sold

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

thrawn527 posted:

I'd accept Kate Micucci.

Kether Donohue plz

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I remember LOLing watching Civil War when they gave the casualty count and it was 74 people which is ridiculously low. The first time a number was mentioned was actually in season one of Daredevil, its commented that hundreds were killed when much of Hell's Kitchen got leveled which already felt a little low just from what we saw in Avengers regarding buildings being destroyed but still wasn't totally unbelievable. Then in Civil War when they dropped that number to 74. :laffo:

The only explanations are that this was a very specific report about how many people the Avengers personally killed by mistake during the battle, OR more likely given that Stark has the resources to allow an entire skyscraper to not be on the grid at all in the middle of NYC, we're in a setting where only Stark Enterprises shareholders count as human beings.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Even if we accept the "oh this is the stuff the Avengers themselves were directly responsible for" then that is a pretty bad ratio. 74 out of "hundreds" means it can be as low as like 10% but more likely even higher than that. So like one out of every 8 people or so that died were because Iron Man wasn't aiming his beams carefully or one of the whales Thor killed landed on a school bus.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alien invasions are ranked on a scale from "listeria outbreak" to "medium train derailment" and never reach the lofty heights of "12 hours at Stalingrad"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FilthyImp posted:

JoJostice League would be loving amazing and really would require no new filming for AquaMomoa.

There is no way that there is enough posing already filmed.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Rewatching Iron Man 2 and I forgot (or never realized) that Elon Musk makes a small cameo. Was he a big deal in 2010?

Edit: Tony and Pepper identify him by name and he plays himself in a restaurant.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Violator posted:

Rewatching Iron Man 2 and I forgot (or never realized) that Elon Musk makes a small cameo. Was he a big deal in 2010?

Edit: Tony and Pepper identify him by name and he plays himself in a restaurant.

He got pretty famous in 2002-2003 when they sold Paypal to eBay. Paypal might have been the first multi-billion dollar company to come out of the dotcom boom.

He's gotten much more famous in the last 5 years or so, though.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Tesla had already come out with the Roadster in 2008, and was launching rockets by the time the movie released through SpaceX. So he was a big enough deal in the tech and automotive worlds that his cameo made sense, especially since he's an Iron Man fan.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Guy A. Person posted:

Even if we accept the "oh this is the stuff the Avengers themselves were directly responsible for" then that is a pretty bad ratio. 74 out of "hundreds" means it can be as low as like 10% but more likely even higher than that. So like one out of every 8 people or so that died were because Iron Man wasn't aiming his beams carefully or one of the whales Thor killed landed on a school bus.
That's not really a knock against the films though, considering the theme of Civil War is 'You guys need to be controlled'

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Are the MCU movies interesting?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
A couple of them, yeah.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

UmOk posted:

Not especially, but they're entertaining.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Slugworth posted:

Not especially, but they're entertaining.

ehhhhhhhhh

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

UmOk posted:

Yes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UmOk posted:

Kind of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowman_McK posted:

Squirrel Girl stuff:

Anna Kendrick and Shannon Purser (Barb from Stranger Things) both sent out interest tweets, IIRC.

I honestly can't choose. Can we do a flashback set of SG Year 1 with whoever doesn't get cast of the two??

UmOk posted:

Civil War is interesting in that it takes an extremely MAXI-SIZED COMPANY WIDE CROSSOVER MEGA EVENT THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING and turns it into a rather focused character piece (even with Wakanda, Black Panther stuff, it's really about Cap's optimism and willingness to go to bat for a friend, and Tony's guilt/drive to not be the Bad Guy again).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

UmOk posted:

I think only a couple are interesting at all in and of themselves but as a whole group they're pretty interesting, not always for the best reasons

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Lmao if you think they are going to cast anyone other than cheap Australian actors for a Freeform show, Marvel or not

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

UmOk posted:

Interesting, sure. But I'd say only a handful are worth re-watching, and of those, only a few worth re-watching more than 1-2 times.

For me, Ant-Man, Iron Man 1, Cap: Winter Soldier, Guardians are the ones I can re-watch the most and not get tired of it.

I actually couldn't get through Dr. Strange when it came out for streaming because...well, I just couldn't. It is kind of dull.

Cap: CW is a decent movie with some really good parts, but it is a bit of a slog to get there.

I really hope the gray-dull tint of almost all the movies is going away since that executive Marvel Movie board is dead. Guardians 2 trailer is promising in that regard.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

For me, Ant-Man, Iron Man 1, Cap: Winter Soldier, Guardians are the ones I can re-watch the most and not get tired of it.

This is basically my list except swap WS with First Avenger, and I actually liked Dr. Strange a lot (haven't attempted a rewatch though). I'm glad they're finally doubling down on more crossovers, it's what makes the "shared universe" potentially interesting and what phase 2 should've been all along.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really hope the gray-dull tint of almost all the movies is going away since that executive Marvel Movie board is dead. Guardians 2 trailer is promising in that regard.

The first Guardians was really colourful providing you're talking about the CGI (which it had more of than most of the other MCU films) everything in camera had that same dulled look.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Civil War is interesting in that it takes an extremely MAXI-SIZED COMPANY WIDE CROSSOVER MEGA EVENT THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING and turns it into a rather focused character piece (even with Wakanda, Black Panther stuff, it's really about Cap's optimism and willingness to go to bat for a friend, and Tony's guilt/drive to not be the Bad Guy again).

Goddamn people are forigving of the MCU. Every week someone finds a new way to be overly generous with praise towards these downright stupid, ugly warmongering films.

It's a 'focused character' piece, the same way Winter Soldier is a 'political thriller' and Taco Bell is Mexican food. It has a few of the trappings but is such a clear imitation.

Most 'focused character piece' movies don't include Paul Rudd growing eightfold in size and throwing a truck. It's an action movie with a few moments of (badly handled) character work.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Lmao if you think they are going to cast anyone other than cheap Australian actors for a Freeform show, Marvel or not

Worked for Thor. Or iZombie (Kiwi but close enough).

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

well why not posted:

Goddamn people are forigving of the MCU. Every week someone finds a new way to be overly generous with praise towards these downright stupid, ugly warmongering films.

It's a 'focused character' piece, the same way Winter Soldier is a 'political thriller' and Taco Bell is Mexican food. It has a few of the trappings but is such a clear imitation.

Most 'focused character piece' movies don't include Paul Rudd growing eightfold in size and throwing a truck. It's an action movie with a few moments of (badly handled) character work.

This is why I asked if they are interesting. There seems to be a consensus that the MCU movies are terrible but for some reason they are constantly talked about.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There's definitely not a consensus.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The few interesting parts of the MCU are the oddities, the incomplete thoughts, and the weird implications that are ignored - like how the villains of Iron Man 3 are disabled people, including war veterans injured in the line of duty. They are depicted as evil and inhuman. That Homecoming will apparently feature working-class people whose livelihoods are threatened as despicable villains really pales in comparison to that.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 7, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The few interesting parts of the MCU are the oddities, the incomplete thoughts, and the weird implications that are ignored - like how the villains of Iron Man 3 are disabled people, including war veterans injured in the line of duty. They are depicted as evil and inhuman. That Homecoming will apparently feature working-class people whose livelihoods are threatened as despicable villains really pales in comparison to that.

The veterans are victims, though? Guy Pierce exploits them and happily turns them into bombs, I don't think they'd sign up for that if they had the choice.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

The veterans are victims, though? Guy Pierce exploits them and happily turns them into bombs, I don't think they'd sign up for that if they had the choice.

The extremis henchmen are also disabled war veterans, and they're depicted as actively sadistic killers engaged in a criminal conspiracy. See here, for example.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well at least they got one thing right.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What started the trend of Hollywood importing Australian actors that are (relatively) unknown in the U.S. to be leads in major TV shows and movies?

I feel like it didn't really start happening until the last 5-10 years or so, but now it seems like every third Hollywood rising star or lead is an Australian playing a non-Australian.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We're fully fluent in English, we all grew up imitating your ridiculous yankee accents and are all very handsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

UmOk posted:

This is why I asked if they are interesting. There seems to be a consensus that the MCU movies are terrible but for some reason they are constantly talked about.

When on the internet there's no consensus about anything, anywhere.

e: They are constantly talked about because this is a comic movie thread and they make like 2/3 of them. It isn't like other studios movies don't get talked about at the same time.

• Locked thread