Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

I don't wanna trudge through a dozen+ pages of sub/dub slapfights to find this out, who was the voice director for the english version? I've heard this rumor that it was someone at atlus japan and that's why they consistently say voices in certain ways, but is there any actual proof of that?

Keith Arem is directing the dub like he did for every major installment in the series, but Erika Harlacher mentioned some Japanese clients told them how they wanted names said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Legit my biggest shock when I went shopping on Sundays.

Why isn't Tanaka coming over the airwaves to me anymore!?

I want him to grant all my desires, or have me followed!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can I choose the rear end in a top hat/joke responses without fear of losing points or something?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

poe meater posted:

Can I choose the rear end in a top hat/joke responses without fear of losing points or something?

Outside of S.Links, yes.

Inside S.Links, I dunno. Probably you won't lose points, I dunno if P5 has any Inverted conditions, but you'll be ranking up much slower.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is there a concise post with all the things to look out for? I'm just downloading the game now.

Also who's best girl (for someone who's not really into anime girls despite enjoying anime and girls separately)?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Is there a concise post with all the things to look out for? I'm just downloading the game now.

Also who's best girl (for someone who's not really into anime girls despite enjoying anime and girls separately)?

Keep an eye on your SP. SP recovery items are fairly rare and valuable, and SP management is the main limiting factor in dungeons early on. Buy loads of books and focus on getting your Guts leveled up a bit, too. This game is a lot more lax about potentially loving up your character growth than previous entries so other than that you don't really need to worry about much.

Also Makoto best girl :colbert:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So uh, would this game be a good jumping into point for the series? I always hear good things about persona, but played maybe half of the one that was released for PS1 waaaay back in the day and then never touched it again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Saxophone posted:

So uh, would this game be a good jumping into point for the series? I always hear good things about persona, but played maybe half of the one that was released for PS1 waaaay back in the day and then never touched it again.

Yes you don't need to know anything and this game is a good entry point .

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In short: yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saxophone posted:

There's exactly one plot connection to a previous game and it's extremely tenuous and minor and mentioned in maybe three lines, and makes perfect sense even without having played the previous games. There's a couple other callbacks, but nothing that impacts the plot or the game whatsoever.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
every time they allude to Goro on the news or w/e i make grabby hands at the screen

where's my boy gimme my boy

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Are there repercussions to skipping out on your job? Or changing to a new one? I thought this game would be like P3 where you could just pick whatever, but I just explored the palace for the first time and came back with more cash than I was expecting to.

Then I looked at my calendar and...:whitewater:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Keep an eye on your SP. SP recovery items are fairly rare and valuable, and SP management is the main limiting factor in dungeons early on. Buy loads of books and focus on getting your Guts leveled up a bit, too. This game is a lot more lax about potentially loving up your character growth than previous entries so other than that you don't really need to worry about much.

Also Makoto best girl :colbert:

She isn't even a member yet and I can already tell that.

I also dig the doctor. Nice amount of both sass and compassion.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 7, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wrist Watch posted:

Are there repercussions to skipping out on your job? Or changing to a new one? I thought this game would be like P3 where you could just pick whatever, but I just explored the palace for the first time and came back with more cash than I was expecting to.

Then I looked at my calendar and...:whitewater:

There is no penalty for not going to your job or doing other ones

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Captain Baal posted:

Sweet, thanks!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Captain Baal posted:

I always wondered why things work this way in the Persona games. Is this just for the sake of gameplay or are part-time jobs in Japan literally "eh, show up whenever you want and do some work and we'll pay you"?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

theblackw0lf posted:

She isn't even a member yet and I can already tell that.

She gets better.

Also be sure to go to the movies with her when she invites you.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I always wondered why things work this way in the Persona games. Is this just for the sake of gameplay or are part-time jobs in Japan literally "eh, show up whenever you want and do some work and we'll pay you"?

It has to be a gameplay concession. Can you imagine trying to plan around that on top of everything else?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah i literally called a convenience store, told them i'd be working part time and then have not showed up in three weeks and maybe never will

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
So how exactly do you unlock the shogi girl? I've met all the pre-recs in the OP and its 7/12 but I don't have anything on her at all

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It is for the sake of gameplay because getting penalized for what is a gameplay mechanic is stupid and harsh to players who need it for social stats and quick cash.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if this game lets me get lost in the tokyo public transportation system, it should make me go to my lovely 5-9 hour job three times a week

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also I have revised my view on Yusuke. He is now a good boy even if he has a terrible intro.

His social link is gold. :3:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

So how exactly do you unlock the shogi girl? I've met all the pre-recs in the OP and its 7/12 but I don't have anything on her at all

What do you mean, is she not talking to you at the church?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Are you going at night, during the correct days of the week, after getting the info on her from Yusuke? The thing that tripped me up for a while is that she's there at night.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You should've had a conversation with about her around like 6/25 and Kanda should be unlocked by then so if you have Charm 3 you should be able to start hangout with her provided it's at night.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

I have no idea where the church is, and I dont remember yusuke talking to me either. I heard some other dudes outside school gossiping about her, but that didn't lead to anything

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I bought the DVD player but I can't watch DVDs in my room

Why is this?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm trying to single-day the first palace, but I'm running low on everything and those horsemen dicks are fuckers. I'm trying to find the key for the bladed hallway in the central tower Am I close to the end? What level should I be and should I try fusing some better personas at the entrance?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Levantine posted:

I'm trying to single-day the first palace, but I'm running low on everything and those horsemen dicks are fuckers. I'm trying to find the key for the bladed hallway in the central tower Am I close to the end? What level should I be and should I try fusing some better personas at the entrance?
That's one of the last things before you find the treasure, but there's a trick to getting the keys that can make it a real endurance test, and there's a mini-boss afterwards if I recall correctly.

I ended up having to two-day it, on Easy at that, and it threw me off the walkthrough I was using and was responsible for me not getting to level 2 Knowledge before the midterms. The first dungeon is real tough.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I spoiled myself on it, but god the voiced Beneath The Mask is so loving good

Levantine posted:

Once you get through that puzzle, there's a mini-boss and you're at the end. If you're set on one-daying it, then I'd say bee-line for the end and then spend the rest of your energy grinding everyone up to Lv. 11 so everyone gets their next skill, like Media and Tarunda and you're good

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

JT Jag posted:

That's one of the last things before you find the treasure, but there's a trick to getting the keys that can make it a real endurance test, and there's a mini-boss afterwards if I recall correctly.

I ended up having to two-day it, on Easy at that, and it threw me off the walkthrough I was using and was responsible for me not getting to level 2 Knowledge before the midterms. The first dungeon is real tough.

Is there any downside to dropping to Easy? I think if things go well I can power through, i have some full-heal revive items I've been holding for more efficient heals I can pop if things get hairy.

Moltrey posted:

I spoiled myself on it, but god the voiced Beneath The Mask is so loving good

Once you get through that puzzle, there's a mini-boss and you're at the end. If you're set on one-daying it, then I'd say bee-line for the end and then spend the rest of your energy grinding everyone up to Lv. 11 so everyone gets their next skill, like Media and Tarunda and you're good

Ok, I think I'll do that. The level 16 archangel guys are weak to Zio and I figured you can weaken that single guy in the tower, negotiate and he immediately fucks off for 40+ exp. I may exploit that a bit once I hit the end.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Easy just lowers the damage enemy's do and maybe increases the amount do, no EXP/Yen difference.

Also idk if you're not sure about how the dungeons work in this game, but don't be too lenient with your items while doing that grinding. You'll be forced to leave the dungeon before facing the boss, so that's your HP/SP fully recovered and you can fight enemies when you come back into the fight the boss too, so you can just get to the end and bail and grind when you come back fully rested. I just reccomended the grinding because that's what I was able to do

also s/o to the male npc just trashed in the alley next to the cafe yelling about how failed Kamoshida as a mother as a cop watches over him

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 7, 2017

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Has anyone made a meme out of Morgana constantly telling you "Let's not do that today." every 5 minutes? Because goddamn cat I just wanna make lockpicks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey good luck Levantine. I banged my head against that same part for a few hours today since I was adamant about clearing that part of the dungeon in one day. I had to use all of my healing and SP restoratives but eventually I did it, so I bet you can too.

Some of those enemies are rough though, especially if they get a lucky crit.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Moltrey posted:

Easy just lowers the damage enemy's do and maybe increases the amount do, no EXP/Yen difference.

Also idk if you're not sure about how the dungeons work in this game, but don't be too lenient with your items while doing that grinding. You'll be forced to leave the dungeon before facing the boss, so that's your HP/SP fully recovered and you can fight enemies when you come back into the fight the boss too, so you can just get to the end and bail and grind when you come back fully rested. I just reccomended the grinding because that's what I was able to do

also s/o to the male npc just trashed in the alley next to the cafe yelling about how failed Kamoshida as a mother as a cop watches over him

Oh cool, so I wont have to immediately follow the mini-boss with the actual boss? I think I can muscle through that.

Raxivace posted:

Hey good luck Levantine. I banged my head against that same part for a few hours today since I was adamant about clearing that part of the dungeon in one day. I had to use all of my healing and SP restoratives but eventually I did it, so I bet you can too.

Some of those enemies are rough though, especially if they get a lucky crit.

Congrats! I'm having trouble with those goddamn mounted horse dudes. Nothing I have knocks them down. If I can get to the entrance without leaving, I may just visit the velvet room and see what i can throw together for some additional firepower.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Levantine posted:

Oh cool, so I wont have to immediately follow the mini-boss with the actual boss? I think I can muscle through that.

Congrats! I'm having trouble with those goddamn mounted horse dudes. Nothing I have knocks them down. If I can get to the entrance without leaving, I may just visit the velvet room and see what i can throw together for some additional firepower.
Yeah yeah, just clear the mini-boss and use whatever stamina you got left for some quick grinding or do it when come back, it's all good

As the for horse boys, if they're the smaller looking Lv. 9 ones, they're weak to Bufu. If they're bigger ones that are like Lv. 16 with more flowing manes, they're weak to Zio

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to a see a reaction from a first time Persona player when they meet new Igor with his satan voice. There have to be a bunch of people jumping out of their chairs like "COME THE gently caress ON HOW IS THIS NOT THE VILLAIN??"

And the voice direction thing is interesting and frustrating at the same time, like WTF is Japan doing coaching the English actors on weird pronunciations of phonetically simple names?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just beat the first dungeon and am really enjoying myself so far. I did it with six days to spare so the people talking about one-shotting it boggle the mind

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

lmao I finally got the unlock convo for the shogi girl a whole month late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009