Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

thats why I bought land.... just go piss IN the garden :colbert:

Yeah, but if you poo poo there people will call you a hippie.

Baronjutter posted:

I like my bathroom to be a very functional and sanitary place with nowhere for dirt to hide.

That's why I'd go with bromeliads. You can pretty much just glue them to a suction cup and they're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:neckbeard:

:justpost:

just make sure you dont wreck your house dude.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bathroom could use a fire pit.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

And to that note, not a single one has called me an idiot or said it couldn't be fixed when I told them I cut my beams.

If I knew that you were going to pay me $texas to fix your idiotic mistake then I would go out of my way to be nice to you to jack the price up further.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

bEatmstrJ posted:

Continue talking amongst yourselves.

Thank you for not bailing on the thread, OP. Nobody would have blamed you if you did.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

OSI bean dip posted:

If I knew that you were going to pay me $texas to fix your idiotic mistake then I would go out of my way to be nice to you to jack the price up further.

Same. But also your vanity and wall the next time an earthquake hits and all those compromised studs crack.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i had a moss bathmat for a while and it was pretty legit and was nice on the feet (and not dirty) but it was hard to keep it evenly watered, standing on it after a shower for 30 seconds is actually not enough shockingly

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well with KS gone (hopefully longer than a day) I can tell you that I don't miss him.

I'm going to take the advice of some and not post for a while until I have something meaningful to post. I have contacted over 10 different contractors and as of yet not a single one has come over. And to that note, not a single one has called me an idiot or said it couldn't be fixed when I told them I cut my beams. So between my job and finding a contractor, things are going to be slow for a while.

On a side topic, I'm really not a private person. I'm fully aware of what can be found out about me on the google. So if you need to know details of my private life, like the concern for the safety of my non-existent wife and kids or the number of bedrooms in my house (5) just ask. Don't be creepy.

Also, i'm enjoying the speculation about what my bathtub pit is for so I'm not going to ruin it. Continue talking amongst yourselves.

I don't think anyone has said it couldn't be fixed. More that it can't be fixed without massive amounts of work and money. If I were a contractor I'd want to make sure I saw it before commenting on the cost and time you're looking at because its probably going to be a lot.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SoundMonkey posted:

i had a moss bathmat for a while and it was pretty legit and was nice on the feet (and not dirty) but it was hard to keep it evenly watered, standing on it after a shower for 30 seconds is actually not enough shockingly

goddamn it now im tempted.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bEatmstrJ posted:

Also, i'm enjoying the speculation about what my bathtub pit is for so I'm not going to ruin it. Continue talking amongst yourselves.
Welcome back, OP. I knew you wouldn''t disappoint.

JoelJoel posted:

I have bathroom fireplace photos but no bathroom fire pits photos for you.

Either of those your aesthetic?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sneakyfrog posted:

goddamn it now im tempted.

Seriously!

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

I thought "impossible", and yet here I am, posting a picture of a bathroom "fire pit".

http://okdesigninterior.com/indoor-...l-fuel-firepit/

Pretty sure it's basically just a chafing dish heater with one of those glass candle-guards around it. Probably not super safe, but meh.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Welcome back, OP. I knew you wouldn''t disappoint.

I have bathroom fireplace photos but no bathroom fire pits photos for you.

Not gonna lie, I'd probably just hang out in that second one all goddamn day if it was in my house. Mostly because if it was in my house, I'd have the money to hire someone to clean the drat thing.

Also: yay, OP hasn't abandoned thread!

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
This might just be my inner-weeb talking, but I think this kind of thing right here is very nice looking:

http://thraam.com/15782/japanese-bathroom-design/japanese-bathroom-wasou-top-bath-13/

I think I recognized what OP was trying to do with the bathtub, and it's not uncommon to find wet-floor bathrooms in Japan, because then you can wash and rinse off while sitting on one of those little bucket-stools with a shower wand next to the tub, before going in to soak.

Similarly, it looks like OP was fixing to put a shower pan under the tub, or something? If you're going to end up taking up the whole floor anyway for repair, you might want to look into just wet-proofing the floor and putting in drainage. The vanity sits above the floor anyway, right? A little lip around the tub area could accommodate stones or whatever to get the same effect as you seem to have in your SketchUp, if I'm reading it right.

There are a whole ton of products like "kabi-killer" (mold killer) and the like in Japan because of the wet-room tub/shower thing, and also the fiberglass all-in-one wet bathroom modules you find in apartments. So, it's not like a wet floor means mushroom farm. If you do it right, you just have to keep on top of maintenance if you want to go that way.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bEatmstrJ posted:

I have contacted over 10 different contractors and as of yet not a single one has come over. And to that note, not a single one has called me an idiot or said it couldn't be fixed when I told them I cut my beams. So between my job and finding a contractor, things are going to be slow for a while.
Cool. If you get a contractor who intends to repair the beams without getting an engineer to sign off, send them packing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Holy poo poo this thread is what that Vice article should've focused on. Not breaking their arm jerking off over FYAD.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

WrenP-Complete posted:

Maybe it's because the entire thing looks like the inside of a pizza oven, but this is giving me big time 'boiled alive and eaten' vibes.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

no no

a ball pit in the bathroom! And it can double as a toilet if tumblr conventions is anything to go by!

WrenP-Complete posted:

See, this is nice, but I can't imagine having lit candles littering the floor a la Dark Souls. Just doesn't seem safe. However I'm all the gently caress in for baking bread while bathing. Naked glutenizing is my fetish.

dest
May 28, 2003

9/9/99
Never Forget
Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

OMG, these are beautiful!

Looks cool, but would probably need a ton of natural light to keep all that alive.

Your hanging vanity is *probably* fine OP. You only cut through what, like 90% of only those 2 studs?

I don't know anything about any of that though.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well with KS gone (hopefully longer than a day) I can tell you that I don't miss him.

I'm going to take the advice of some and not post for a while until I have something meaningful to post. I have contacted over 10 different contractors and as of yet not a single one has come over. And to that note, not a single one has called me an idiot or said it couldn't be fixed when I told them I cut my beams. So between my job and finding a contractor, things are going to be slow for a while.

On a side topic, I'm really not a private person. I'm fully aware of what can be found out about me on the google. So if you need to know details of my private life, like the concern for the safety of my non-existent wife and kids or the number of bedrooms in my house (5) just ask. Don't be creepy.

For all the poo poo we've given you, I'm glad you haven't opted out of the thread. We just want you to do the right thing, honest!

Looking forward to further updates.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The thing about permitting is that you can get away with a lot of avoiding it, but the moment you can't hide it any more all the previous stuff comes back in a bad whiplash.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
This is the only thread I've ever read in diy and it's great and I'm glad the stalky weirdo sperg got banned

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

This is the only thread I've ever read in diy and it's great and I'm glad the stalky weirdo sperg got banned

Same. Really probably put diy on the map for a change. Seemed like a boring premise, but less than comics and anime.

Any other funny threads regulars?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Burt Sexual posted:

Same. Really probably put diy on the map for a change. Seemed like a boring premise, but less than comics and anime.

Any other funny threads regulars?

crappy construction is always lovely

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

dont poo poo things up friends

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
So my theory that Craiglist people are notoriously flaky and don't want to be bothered is true. Even licensed contractors who just don't want any new work. Why post ads if you're not going to take any work?

Anyway, I changed up my approach and did some contractor digging elsewhere and now have six appointments lined up in the next two weeks.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
OP how do you feel about lasers and what were your predictions about how the invasion of Iraq in 2003 would go? This is important for your project.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

So my theory that Craiglist people are notoriously flaky and don't want to be bothered is true. Even licensed contractors who just don't want any new work. Why post ads if you're not going to take any work?

Anyway, I changed up my approach and did some contractor digging elsewhere and now have six appointments lined up in the next two weeks.

Interesting, how did you change your approach?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

FrozenVent posted:

Deprived of their primary source of entertainments, the goons now feed on each others.

Just wanted to say I got a good chuckle out of this.

Also welcome back op :yotj: this thread is a roller coaster, and drat if you don't have a thick skin.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

bEatmstrJ posted:

Whatever contractor you go with, if you're satisfied with their work/price/timeliness, remember their name. I've been trying to get a fuckoff huge (2400 square foot) garage built for a project house I plan to move into once I finish it, and it's been nothing but a giant pain in the rear end. I talked to the first contractor last July. He was a friend of a friend, nearing retirement, and all I got was months of "I'm waiting to hear back from my concrete guy". The garage would have been built 6 months ago if he actually felt like doing the job. A friend of mine tried to get an estimate from the same guy for an addition on his house, and got the same treatment. Next I talked to a friend of mine who's worked construction forever. I asked what GCs he'd recommend for a good bang for the buck. His recommended guy came in at $130k for the first version of the garage, and $90k for the second. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't spend either of those numbers on a garage. Then I found a third guy. Also a friend of a friend, and he ended up building the previously mentioned friend's addition in a timely manner, and everything came out nicely. His estimate came in at $40k, plus "I'm guessing $10-15k for grading and fill, I have to talk to the guy". "The guy" came and looked at the site, and said it'll be about $2500. That just bought me a project car to put in the garage :cool:. Between his reasonable pricing, the results I saw on my friend's addition, and the (hopeful) results I'll see on my garage, I'm hanging on to this guy's number for any future work I might need.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bEatmstrJ posted:

Yeah that's their attempt of blowing you off politely.

I had to get some roof tiles repaired, and 1/3rds of the roof places that I called didn't return the call, and another third gave a wildly high estimate of what it would cost.
Those guys would rather move their crews to do a whole roof replacement, and if they've got a few of those lined up my little job wasn't worth their time.

Similarly, the contractors you talk to may not want to take your floor issue on either due to small size of it and risk of rework if they've got someone paying them $20k to do a whole kitchen.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
:bravo: bEatmastJ :bravo:

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

bEatmstrJ posted:

I've come to understand that Craigslist is only really good for finding cool stuff that people throw out. I am a piano owner because of Craigslist. Unfortunately I still need to find a piano teacher who is desperate enough to work for beer. Craigslist has no piano teachers of any kind in my area, and I can't afford to spend money on lessons at Brick and Mortar Established Music Tutors because I'm broke / a total cheap-wad. But, I am still a piano owner, and hopefully someday a piano user. So there's that.

Contractors generally covet as much work as possible to ensure as close to a constant income as is possible. I come from a family of contractors, all of whom would invariably intersperse near constant working with epic weekend benders, and more drinking around the margins of their work as necessary. Because of the constant fear of a dry spell, it makes sense that they'd put out ads every so often just for the hell of it, if they're into Craigslist.

You might want to make sure that your contractor is a known entity by asking around the municipal office for planning or building permits about them. The vibe you get when you ask around might help you know if they're worth the bother. Even if it's a big area, someone who has worked long enough should be even vaguely familiar. Also make sure they have insurance, and all of their shots. This project is definitely beyond picking up a couple of dudes out front of the home depot for a case of beer, what with the structural issues.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

canyoneer posted:

Yeah that's their attempt of blowing you off politely.

I had to get some roof tiles repaired, and 1/3rds of the roof places that I called didn't return the call, and another third gave a wildly high estimate of what it would cost.
Those guys would rather move their crews to do a whole roof replacement, and if they've got a few of those lined up my little job wasn't worth their time.

Similarly, the contractors you talk to may not want to take your floor issue on either due to small size of it and risk of rework if they've got someone paying them $20k to do a whole kitchen.

Yeah that's my experience. Also, my normal guy guarantees his work for life. I'd imagine a good deal of hesitancy accepting the risk of tub in basement failure.

But good job for coming back op, u got balls.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

JoshGuitar posted:

Whatever contractor you go with, if you're satisfied with their work/price/timeliness, remember their name. I've been trying to get a fuckoff huge (2400 square foot) garage built for a project house I plan to move into once I finish it, and it's been nothing but a giant pain in the rear end. I talked to the first contractor last July. He was a friend of a friend, nearing retirement, and all I got was months of "I'm waiting to hear back from my concrete guy". The garage would have been built 6 months ago if he actually felt like doing the job. A friend of mine tried to get an estimate from the same guy for an addition on his house, and got the same treatment. Next I talked to a friend of mine who's worked construction forever. I asked what GCs he'd recommend for a good bang for the buck. His recommended guy came in at $130k for the first version of the garage, and $90k for the second. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't spend either of those numbers on a garage. Then I found a third guy. Also a friend of a friend, and he ended up building the previously mentioned friend's addition in a timely manner, and everything came out nicely. His estimate came in at $40k, plus "I'm guessing $10-15k for grading and fill, I have to talk to the guy". "The guy" came and looked at the site, and said it'll be about $2500. That just bought me a project car to put in the garage :cool:. Between his reasonable pricing, the results I saw on my friend's addition, and the (hopeful) results I'll see on my garage, I'm hanging on to this guy's number for any future work I might need.

Having done work with friends and friends of friends, I'm hypersensitive to asking anyone for recommendations, or if they "know a guy". I still do it, but I don't want any of my friends personally doing any work for me. It's just asking for poo poo to go wrong and relationships to be ruined, so I avoid it at all costs. But the only thing my hatred towards trying to hire contractors does is make me want to start a contracting business with some professional follow-through. It doesn't seem like too much to ask, yet I'm in a service business, so It's in my best interest to cater to people when they have problems. It seems like it would be the same if I were a contractor. I want people to talk about how great I was, and how I called back, and checked if I was satisfied. It just seems like a good business practice.

Burt Sexual posted:

Interesting, how did you change your approach?

I used Yelp and some ads from some local magazines I get instead (which I expect to cost more than your average licensed craigslist flake). I told them all I would need a structural engineer as part of the services.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 7, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'm toying with a fix scenario for this that doesn't require ripping up the entire floor, and I'd like thread remodelers and folks with structural background to weigh in, please: it goes thusly: you're going to get some 2x8 lumber or rip down some 2x10, whatever the gap in the engineered joist material is- it has to fit snugly between the two sandwich ends of the engineered joists- this is important, but I'm assuming that those things are very accurately cut. Personally, I find the concept distasteful, even if they are enviro-conscious, they're loving flakeboard ffs. You will have to cut and reglue your black waste pipe. Eh, looks like you'll have to rerun your hot and cold feed lines also, and maybe you can notch for the romex.
Instead of ripping up the floor, you're going to go with a 2xwhatever the dimension is that is maybe 4-5 feet longer than your tub hole size depending on how long your arm is. You're going to cut a scarf joint in the middle of those. A scarf cut is a long diagonal, like 20-70, so maybe a 24" diagonal cut. You're going to then extend each bifurcated piece along each of the compromised engineered joists and screw to the flakeboard, toenail down into the good tee of the joist. Of course, you'll have to drill through all these to run your waste pipes and feed lines.
You should be able to run the 2 pieces a good ways beyond the cut out hole under the subfloor, sister them in, and screw as far back as your arm and a screwgun reaches. May have to hammer them in snug, and be careful you don't destroy the already compromised joists.
Then you can scab a piece of 3/4 plywood right along the scarf joint and past it say 6-12 inches either way.

Since I don't use Sketchup, this is sorta what I'm on about.

Do this for each compromised joist.

DiY wizards, what say ye?

edit- I call this an UglyasFuck Solution. Naturally

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 7, 2017

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

bEatmstrJ posted:

Having done work with friends and friends of friends, I'm hypersensitive to asking anyone for recommendations, or if they "know a guy". I still do it, but I don't want any of my friends personally doing any work for me. It's just asking for poo poo to go wrong and relationships to be ruined, so I avoid it at all costs. But the only thing my hatred towards trying to hire contractors does is make me want to start a contracting business with some professional follow-through. It doesn't seem like too much to ask, yet I'm in a service business, so It's in my best interest to cater to people when they have problems. It seems like it would be the same if I were a contractor. I want people to talk about how great I was, and how I called back, and checked if I was satisfied. It just seems like a good business practice.

I hear you. My uncle did some major plumbing work on our house during multiple bathroom renovations a long time ago. He's gone now, but we suspect his ghost still lives in the pipes, since hot water comes out where cold should, and nobody knows exactly where the hell anything is coming or going, from or to. Even family isn't immune to "eh, it'll do".

We had a roofing job done by someone who we knew, and it all looked fine until we noticed the haphazard nails and missing flashing. Turns out he handed most of the work off to some kid paid dirt under the table who couldn't put together a pair of magnets. Took us weeks and a threat to take him to small claims to get money back.

Accountability and attention to detail would be nice, but really you just have to be a hawk about getting poo poo documented and watching the follow-through on each and every detail to know for sure. It's the nature of the beast.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, I missed KS's allegedly sweet avatar :saddowns: did anyone 'archive it before the evidence was erased'?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Evilreaver posted:

Man, I missed KS's allegedly sweet avatar :saddowns: did anyone 'archive it before the evidence was erased'?

''Twas great, gj whomever.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

''Twas great, gj whomever.

Didnt Sneakyfrog say he bought it for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Even if you wedge those things in really snug between the flanges, is screwing them through the flakeboard going to transfer loads properly? You're trying to replace the capacity for compressive strength from the top flange onto something that naturally wants to give in to vertical forces, held together on a different plane with plywood and some screws. It's adding weight and (more importantly) new loading factors in. All the compressive loads are now shearing loads on the interface of the screws, flakeboard, and 2x8. Not to mention the tensile loading on/around that scarf joint possibly leading to torque that can't be accounted for without some math. If you drew a static diagram of that arrangement, it would be a mess.

I've heard a lot of bad juju about mixing dimensional lumber with engineered beams. I'd really sit this one down with an engineer.

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproducts/document-library/tb-816

This looks like a relevant document, unlike the spoof I made earlier. They've done the math on this.

Edit: Hey, OP! Just for fun, contact the company and show them this picture. Their engineers can give you some idea as to what this might practically mean for you judging by how loud the thud is from their jaws hitting the floor. Seriously though, it isn't a bad idea to ask them what they think you might want to do with this. They designed these things, after all.

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 7, 2017

• Locked thread