Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DON'T FORGET: YOU'RE HIME FOREVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Zomborgon posted:

H: Healer (not mentioned in-game, apparently on YT's twitter)

So that's what 12H from the prologue did! I literally did not know this before now. Thanks!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm a bit disappointed you didn't listen in on that conversation the two Operators in the hallway were having. Not the dialog boxes, but what they actually say in audio form while you stand next to them.

I thought it was a pretty neat touch when I first heard it.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

In Yoko Taro's universe, all employees returning to giant corporations really would get "the plague."

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So, if flight units are usually kept away from the rank and file fighters, then how do they normally get anyone anywhere? Is there a big cargo ship for large scale troop movements?
Maybe flight units are for special missions or people don't actually get sent to Earth all that much.

The Dark Id posted:

explaining everything verbally is tough on both of us and you

or dotting on their partners worriedly if it’s an Operator.

in the story where trigger a main quest story beat will lock things out

Very understanding, tolerate leader.

First sounds like it should be "both us and you", but maybe that person is with someone else. Couldn't find a gameplay video where anyone talked to that NPC to confirm one way or another.
Aside from that, "doting", "triggering", and "tolerant".

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

The Dark Id posted:

Also the bit about it emitting a sound might be important... If you’re not too old and can still hear certain high frequency sounds.
:aaa: :eyepop: :aaaaa: WHAAAT

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Dark Id posted:

YoRHa Commander Official Art – That whole outfit is gonna be a nightmare if the anti-gravity field ever goes offline on the Bunker.

Hahaha, check out the sex commander of the bang brigade over there. I'm in charge, you can tell because of my luscious ~ROBO GAMS~

edit: Humanity's last hope if the machines ever breach their last lines of defense, apparently, is that the machines will at least be constantly tripping over their enormous boner hydraulics.

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 7, 2017

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Got the game and just played up to talking to the Commander from the update. (And then couldn't help myself - had to get the Self Destruct ending.) Didn't even see the Operator level of the control room, gonna have to run back there and say hi now!

Love the feeling of the movement, though I need to adjust to it some more (just like learning parrying in MGR:R). Definitely a Platinum game. Definitely hitting that Metal Gear Rising itch. Downside is I suck at twinstick shooter parts, and probably would've failed the prologue if not in Easy mode. Used about 6 self-heals almost entirely on the overhead section.

PSA: Don't look at your Steam trading cards while you play by the way, think they just spoiled something big for me. :smith:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If you're playing on PC, go and get the FAR patch, which fixes a bug with fullscreen resolution and lets you adjust global lighting so it's not a complete resource hog. My own PC isn't in the best shape anymore but this patch let me play at 1080p60fps which I simply could not hit just messing with the game's settings. Until there's an official patch released, getting this was, for me, basically required to play smoothly at all.
Thanks for the heads up. The resolution bug is really weird.

The Dark Id posted:

Maybe programming androids with the capacity to get dizzy wasn’t a great design choice. But hell, the original Nier established they programmed androids with the ability to get drunk. Humanity in this universe has always been kind of dipshits with bad future planning...
Oh drat, I totally forgot that the twins in Niertown were androids. That actually explains a lot about why these ones are so weirdly human. And sexualised. Sort of. In a Taro Yoko way.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

Isn't that the exact opposite of what Mr. Taro wants for the relationship between himself and his games?

I thought the reason for the mask is that he wants the games to speak for themselves, rather than having the creator do it for them. Kinda like a reverse Lorax.

Crafting a bizarre, memorable persona is a really... backwards way of doing this, though. Maybe there's some kind of artistic significance to the mask, but I really hope he just thinks it's funny.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FisheyStix posted:

Hahaha, check out the sex commander of the bang brigade over there. I'm in charge, you can tell because of my luscious ~ROBO GAMS~

edit: Humanity's last hope if the machines ever breach their last lines of defense, apparently, is that the machines will at least be constantly tripping over their enormous boner hydraulics.

When asked about the design of the female androids, Yoko Taro is quoted as saying "But the biggest reason is that I just really like girls."

Don't kink shame.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

LordAba posted:

When asked about the design of the female androids, Yoko Taro is quoted as saying "But the biggest reason is that I just really like girls."

Don't kink shame.

Well, he's at least consistent. In the short story Yoko Taro wrote about Beepy, Nier 1 spoilers the robot you murder along with his child shadow friend, sees a bunch of machine lifeforms and androids fighting, and the androids were described as being "scantly clad human females", there was also a line about Beepy assuming they weren't human because there's no reason why they wouldn't be wearing that little clothing.

Glory to Mankind.

Edit: Link to short story: [modedit: nope!]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 7, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sum Gai posted:

Crafting a bizarre, memorable persona is a really... backwards way of doing this, though. Maybe there's some kind of artistic significance to the mask, but I really hope he just thinks it's funny.

It's because he doesn't want people associating his work with a middle-aged bald guy.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

LordAba posted:

Don't kink shame.

Still better then Hideo's justification.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
There's nothing shameful about making your warriors hot if you've been fighting in an endless deadlock for thousands of years. I mean, at some point, you're gonna perfect the technology, and where do you go from there? I'll tell you where. Sweet-rear end thighs for the whole platoon.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Welp, finally caved and bought the game; getting it Saturday.

Debating whether or not I should continue reading or wait until I've played a bunch.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Thisuck posted:

<Please don't do this>

Boy, could you maybe not link to poo poo I'm eventually going to cover later in the LP? That'd be cool if you didn't do that. And that goes for everyone else. Was it something I covered in the old LP? This one? No? Then maybe I'll get to it eventually and you can cool it, eh? I have a document about as long as the first three pages of this thread planning out most everything and when I'm going to do it. Trust me. I KNOW about whatever.

Edit: Also I'll get that voiced conversation in a return visit. Getting that gag ending makes it so that conversation gets disabled until we return, for whatever reason. Also I've got a rip of all the game's audio files and can make a video of it so you can actually hear it clearly without the background music and hum of the Bunker half drowning it out.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 7, 2017

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Zagglezig posted:

So, if flight units are usually kept away from the rank and file fighters, then how do they normally get anyone anywhere? Is there a big cargo ship for large scale troop movements?
Maybe flight units are for special missions or people don't actually get sent to Earth all that much.

I think it's more that flight units are for mission transport only, and those androids are complaining that they can't use them for joyriding or sightseeing or whatever poo poo androids do in their free time. I mean, if they were really that protective of them, I'm not sure 2B and 9S would be given two more of them immediately after returning from a mission that saw the loss of 7 of the drat things.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

He mentioned in an interview I read that, when he was forced to go on stage and do some interviews at E3, his intent was to be such a massive embarrassment that Squeenix would never put him in front of camera again. It backfired horribly and now they won't stop putting him infront of cameras because people just love that goofy guy in the mask so much.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Geemer posted:

I'm a bit disappointed you didn't listen in on that conversation the two Operators in the hallway were having. Not the dialog boxes, but what they actually say in audio form while you stand next to them.

I thought it was a pretty neat touch when I first heard it.
... They what?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Akihiko Yoshida was the character designer for this.

It shows.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Pensive posted:

He mentioned in an interview I read that, when he was forced to go on stage and do some interviews at E3, his intent was to be such a massive embarrassment that Squeenix would never put him in front of camera again. It backfired horribly and now they won't stop putting him infront of cameras because people just love that goofy guy in the mask so much.

Even Yoko Taro is not immune to his own Yoko Taro-ing.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Zereth posted:

... They what?

One of them has started a workout routine, and is shocked that the other didn't notice her robo gainz.

Which makes no goddamned sense, unless mankind programmed the androids to get fat

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

FisheyStix posted:

There's nothing shameful about making your warriors hot if you've been fighting in an endless deadlock for thousands of years. I mean, at some point, you're gonna perfect the technology, and where do you go from there? I'll tell you where. Sweet-rear end thighs for the whole platoon.

And we don't even know right now if humans are still involved in making them. It's been thousands of years and the androids are clearly capable of individuality and personal choice. The androids may be building and clothing themselves and this is just what their personal tastes and fashion senses are.

warhammer651 posted:

One of them has started a workout routine, and is shocked that the other didn't notice her robo gainz.

Which makes no goddamned sense, unless mankind programmed the androids to get fat

That seems more like an engineering option. And in any case, we don't know how much of them is metal and how much can change based on exercise and stuff, or if that differs depending on android type for the job they're meant for.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zagglezig posted:

And in any case, we don't know how much of them is metal

I dunno, we got a pretty good cross-section of 9S's limbs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pensive posted:

:laffo:

Yoko Taro's career is, itself, a ridiculous impossibility.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pensive posted:

This sounds fake but I still love the idea of trying his hardest to fail and being even more successful because of it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zereth posted:

... They what?

A bunch of NPCs, especially in the bunker, are chatting and if you stand near them (and maybe turn up the volume a bit), you can listen in on their conversations.
The two operators in the hallway are the most obvious. And all the operators at their stations are taking support calls, so it sounds like you're walking around a call center when you chat it up with 6O et al.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zagglezig posted:

That seems more like an engineering option. And in any case, we don't know how much of them is metal and how much can change based on exercise and stuff, or if that differs depending on android type for the job they're meant for.

9S's dismemberment showed they have a pretty typical "metal endoskeleton with skin-substitute stretched over it" structure to their bodies. They can still probably improve their physical capabilities and reflexes with regular activity, though.

Or they could just download MadGainz.exe but uuggghh torrent sites in the post-apocalypse are such a pain to navigate and if you get a bum file then suddenly you're loudly recommending hot single Russian brides to everyone you meet.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

They could just download MadGainz.exe but uuggghh torrent sites in the post-apocalypse are such a pain to navigate and if you get a bum file then suddenly you're loudly recommending hot single Russian brides to everyone you meet.

Probably how that one android in the hangar got permanent motion sickness.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

The Dark Id posted:

Boy, could you maybe not link to poo poo I'm eventually going to cover later in the LP? That'd be cool if you didn't do that. And that goes for everyone else. Was it something I covered in the old LP? This one? No? Then maybe I'll get to it eventually and you can cool it, eh? I have a document about as long as the first three pages of this thread planning out most everything and when I'm going to do it. Trust me. I KNOW about whatever.

Edit: Also I'll get that voiced conversation in a return visit. Getting that gag ending makes it so that conversation gets disabled until we return, for whatever reason. Also I've got a rip of all the game's audio files and can make a video of it so you can actually hear it clearly without the background music and hum of the Bunker half drowning it out.

Opps sorry! Will avoid any of those kinds of stuff in the future.

What software/site did you use to get the audio files out? There are a few voice lines I'd like to get out of the game that sounds pretty good out of context. Glory to Mankind.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Pata Pata Pata Pon posted:

I love the fact that you can get 2 endings only an hour into the game.

You can get even more, but I leave Id to reveal them as he likes.

I love this game and Platinum'd it on PS4 the other day. It's so good.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

HenryEx posted:

And suddenly, she's all invested in this dopey blindfolded milquetoast of a teenaged gentleman-wannabe. Who's probably easily replaceable, because he's a goddamn android. And it'll get worse.

He's voiced by a popular VA in the Japanese dub, Natsuki Hanae, most famous in the west for playing Ken Kaneki in Tokyo Ghoul. His CV is essentially milquetoast side-kicks and protagonists, but he's counted as one of those "heartthrob" voices that gets put in a ton of anime and games, especially if there's a female demographic. Also a singing VA, so you hear him in musical animes and OP/ED-songs all the time. Seeing his name in the announcement trailers way back was very much a "why is this guy in this game? what fragile boy will he be playing?" moment for me. (His protagonists scream at the rainy sky quite a bit.)

2B is voiced by Yui Ishikawa, probably most famous in the west for her part as Mikasa Ackerman in Attack on Titan. Not exactly a heavy-weight, but has a career in stage acting prior to voice-acting and a couple big roles in anime under her belt.

I'm only bringing this up because it always amazes me how sometimes English voice casting is full of people I don't recognize but the Japanese cast has Big Names you hear in anime etc. on a regular basis.

Mostly I'm just one of those huge nerds who gets excited about voice actors and weird Japanese stuff. Maybe someone else would be interested, too. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HenryEx posted:

Oh yeah, well, this is a Platinum game, so of course it will perfectly fit. I can even prove it, but it'll have to wait until next update.

This is the start of where i was kinda getting down on the game, paradoxically. I was kinda questioning the characterisation, cause it's really hammy and emotional, despite 2B meeting 9S all of twice, for a combined total of 40 seconds before, and you can probably count the number of lines they exchanged on two hands. And suddenly, she's all invested in this dopey blindfolded milquetoast of a teenaged gentleman-wannabe. Who's probably easily replaceable, because he's a goddamn android. And it'll get worse.

I wanted to say more on this, but any more will probably be spoilers.

They're soldiers and are probably programmed to care about their comrades.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
2B is badly characterized because she doesn't like to see her partners die.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

CryingAthena posted:

Japanese dub
:shrug: Only played with English voices, and they're good. 9S starts out kinda lame and generic, but gets better and better throughout the game, kinda mirroring the character growth/change.

Nuebot posted:

They're soldiers and are probably programmed to care about their comrades.
And like the first thing 2B says to him is "Emotions are prohibited".

Momomo posted:

2B is badly characterized because she doesn't like to see her partners die.
Man, remember when she had a nervous breakdown immediately after landing 'cause she just lost like 5 of her comrades in the approach? ... No? Huh.

I still have to say more on this but i'll have to hold my tongue for a couple months, since spoilers.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
i mean we can just print out another one of him why would it matter :jerkbag:

It doesn't matter if you can just print out a new one to replace them, seeing your buddies die still sucks. Especially if it's for the thousandth time- and, if like 9S here, they might not have their memories 'up to date' when they get rebuilt, so they aren't the buddy they were when they died.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Man you're really trying to bait me into spoiler territory

I was just saying that when i was playing the tutorial, i was put off on how she's pulling up such a hammy and dramatic scene for this one dude she just met for the first time (he introduced himself to her), especially when contrasted with her entire squad getting shot down before and her only reaction being "I'm commanding officer now".

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Everyone else was too dumb to get out of the way of a clearly telegraphed laser attack, she was mourning the only other soldier who knew what they were doing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
you know looking back at the intro, and considering all the memory hijinx
I am not even sure if this is the first time 2B met 9S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

2B was upset because she thought she may have scored a boyfriend, but then the guy just blows up and forgets the time they spent together. An understandable reaction.

• Locked thread