Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I do, but I'm an unreasonable rear end in a top hat so ignore me.

You should have fought harder!

Edit: but for real though, sorry your hard work was dismantled as its been

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Someone compiled the build where WJC was fun, can anyone find and repost it

e: found it myself

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 6, 2017

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

I can get behind this:

code:
Remove draconian ghost breath
http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=dc9e609150957a1a187505cc8b55d712d3aabf13

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Getting rid of rPoi on a lot of enemies would actually make poison viable late game rather than relying on my beloved poison arrow for the first third and then ditching it when you realise that you're just using it for the conjuration damage and not the poison.

Also, I wish there were more bazaars/treasure troves that would generate, especially some of the non-timed ones in the case of the former.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

tote up a bags posted:

Please quote this when the god considered almost universally as fun as hell is removed in favour of balance in a game that has "challenge species" to make it harder and thus unbalanced

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
With there no longer being rMut, isn't it a bit overkill that shapeshifters that change into something that has mutation (Shining Eyes in this case) can still mutate you? I turned a corner to get immediately blasted with two mutations and then next turn it shifted into something dumb, like a cyclops. That's pretty...unfun.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
You didn't strategise properly, obviously. You needed to anticipate that it was A) a shapeshifter and B) that it would totally randomly turn into one of the monsters that can permanently cripple your character without any chance of resistance.

Time to chug some Mut potions and hope you don't nuke the neutral/good ones while clearing out the painfully lovely one you acquired from no fault of your own!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Good change IMO. I would have been cool with a level gating (eg, no breath on draconians < xl12 or whatever) but this is cleaner.

I have the itching to play FO and VS. What are fun class/god combos?

How about a curare weapon buff as poison/charms?

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 6, 2017

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

SteelNeuron posted:

I've been making one last push to salvage wall jump as globally usable and restore the status effect interactions, even in exchange for a bunch of nerfs, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen. I got close, but there are devs that at this point oppose it almost in principle.

Sorry, I tried! :/

Crawl Tavern has some very active people who know a lot about the game and could be very helpful to potential contributors like you. The problem is most of them use that knowledge to be lovely to anyone who knows any less. The crawl IRC channel is not any better. And not much chance of a discussion here now that we've made it clear we proudly consider devs little more than targets for bile and harassment.

Don't consider this a failure. As a developer, I have been in your position, and what happened with me was my manager went to bat for me. As a team lead or mentor I would see both your enthusiasm for this new feature and your creativity and flexibility in collaborating to rework it as extraordinary, and I would want to do the same for you.

I'm a bit out of my element because I've never worked on a product where the developers are both setting the goals and figuring out how to accomplish them. To me that seems as reckless as having developers test their own code, and this is why. You had a feature - a new diety - with clear value, both real and perceived, to the end user. But no one could agree on a way to implement it despite being given several solutions that were no more or less disruptive to the product than other similar and widely used features (Trog, Fedhas, Chei, etc.).

Programmers, myself included, can be very opinionated and stubborn, often for very good reasons but sometimes as a result of a long-established laziness or bias in an area. I think what you are running into is there is an ingrained prejudice against combat being more than bumping into things. When you step back and look at that it's clearly absurd, and no one wants to admit it, so you are likely to be obfuscated or straight up blocked if you challenge it.

I don't know that there's any clear picture of who owns the product or who the stakeholders are, so there's no one to help you resolve that. To this, add the fact that non-tab attacks interact with the optimal path through the game. This is an action guaranteed to trigger the worst sort of response from crawl sperglords. So now you have a small but vociferous element in the user base crying wolf and undercutting support for the new feature.

It's a testament to your passion and hard work that the Wu Jian Council has made it as far as it has. I would say stick to your guns, and not even try to let it go in castrated.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Araganzar posted:

It's a testament to your passion and hard work that the Wu Jian Council has made it as far as it has. I would say stick to your guns, and not even try to let it go in castrated.

Isn't that not an option - that is, now that it's in trunk, he doesn't get to take it back, so if dev consensus is that a castrated version goes live, it does regardless of his wishes?

I'm pretty unhappy with how it's been handled and now have no intention of submitting anything to Crawl, honestly. It was a big eye opener.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Quick question - what's the best way to handle an EV-focused melee'r? I've been trying to get a MfGl off the ground, and they do very well at the beginning - but it seems like by about mid-late lair, the inherent swinginess of low-ac high-EV damage catches up to me, and I get knocked to half health in one hit and then killed while trying to run away.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Floodkiller posted:

Where else do you really take it? Most of the suggestions are about adding something that ignores rPois because there's nowhere else to really go. Check MR to remove rPois, use acid, use miasma, just make it irresistible, etc. aren't really making Poison Magic spells, it's just using Poison Magic in place of a better fitting spell school.

How about more abstract concepts of "poisoning?"
Miserable Mire: Release a wave of rank water on your foes, leaving a temporary patch of shallow/deep that increases poison status if the enemy is not rPois. Initial wave pushes enemies away in a cone, leaves non-rDrown enemies out of deep water but even if they are rPois it's still a useful tool against non-levitating enemies. Not everything flies in extended! Poison/Ice if you're looking for an odd combination, Poison or combined with Transmutation otherwise.

Pillar of Ire: Place a congealed column of poison sludge within a certain radius. Exerts a mesmerization effect on monsters in Line of Sight if they fail an MR check so they must either step closer or start striking at it, poisoning themselves on successful hits if not rPois. Poison/Hexes, obviously. Lets you get distract stabs, clustering for AOE conjurations, some minor protection for more fragile summons.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nobody here hates the devs, just the lockstep agreement with terrible decisions

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

Nobody here hates the devs, just the lockstep agreement with terrible decisions

This. Mist of the devs are cool and good but sometimes they have bad ideas and a few of them (dpeg in particular) are really REALLY bad st being disagreed with. They flip their poo poo and lock in and it stops being reason so much as dpeg/etc. hating to be spoken against so they start ruining things on purpose almost it seems.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

rj54x posted:

Quick question - what's the best way to handle an EV-focused melee'r? I've been trying to get a MfGl off the ground, and they do very well at the beginning - but it seems like by about mid-late lair, the inherent swinginess of low-ac high-EV damage catches up to me, and I get knocked to half health in one hit and then killed while trying to run away.
use summon spells a lot

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Captain Monkey posted:

This. Mist of the devs are cool and good but sometimes they have bad ideas and a few of them (dpeg in particular) are really REALLY bad st being disagreed with. They flip their poo poo and lock in and it stops being reason so much as dpeg/etc. hating to be spoken against so they start ruining things on purpose almost it seems.

If you disagree with a Dev, then the dev doubles-down.

Also the Tavern is full of rear end-kissers.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
idk about that, hellcrawl is basically a branch made entirely because of people not thinking the devs had gone far enough in some areas(removed food, no upstairs, shorter floors etc etc)

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Speleothing posted:

Also the Tavern is full of rear end-kissers.

Not really, aside from what IronicDongz said a lot of tavern posters will firmly criticize questionable changes, just look at the ogre thread on GDD! Dpeg Lasty also got roasted in that thread about dynamic monsters.

I've seen that doubling down happen a lot though, and I guess it's no surprise since it's a volunteer job + open source. Does it *have* to be that way? No, but realistically something like hellcrawl is the only way to go in those cases.

e: fixed

apple fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 6, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Speaking of which, are monsters randomly hulking out still in?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Carcer posted:

It was never in. It's being experimented with but I don't think anyone's even approaching satisfied with it yet.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Because it's a basically unsatisfying concept proposed by the jackasses who think Crawl needs to be harder. They'll never be satisfied anyway, so stop appeasing them.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carcer posted:

That's still in its own experimental branch. I agree with many of the other changes the devs have made (even if I don't like all of them from my own opinion of fun), but that system (including the recent changes) feels awful on anything but optimized builds like MiBe and I would probably switch over to Hellcrawl, start my own fork, or stop playing DCSS entirely if it got merged.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I worded that poorly, I meant being considered.

Its good to know its unlikely to ever see the light of day, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Carcer posted:

I worded that poorly, I meant being considered.

Its good to know its unlikely to ever see the light of day, though.

The singular benefit of dev opposition to anything that might be new or fun is that bad new things also get removed.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

Because it's a basically unsatisfying concept proposed by the jackasses who think Crawl needs to be harder. They'll never be satisfied anyway, so stop appeasing them.

I enjoyed it when you made the first reply on the Tavern thread announcing the latest version of hulking/bezotting:

Lasty posted:

Hey folks,

I just updated the dynamic monsters branch with new rules:

* Monsters can have up to three levels of bezotting. Triple-bezotted monsters are very scary.
* Monsters that follow you off-level will get a level of bezotting.
* Monsters that are tracking you when you leave a level get a level of bezotting.

The premise is that this will further reduce luring by making the risks even scarier, and by making staircases a very dangerous tactical tool. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

"Speleothing posted:

Nobody liked it the first time it was tried. Just let it die

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Under those rules you would go downstairs, see this:

Go back upstairs and then cry because you just potentially buffed a couple dozen enemies including a unique.

Edit: This is very reminiscent of Diablo 3 and enrage timers:

quote:

An Enrage Timer is an Inferno-specific game mechanic that urges the player to kill or be killed.

Enrage Timer icon over a monster's head.
After five minutes (clarification needed), an elite will enter an enraged mode. For normal elites, the enrage causes the player to lose health every second until the elite is killed. There is a notification on screen informing the player that the elite has entered enraged mode, and the elite will also have an icon over their head in the shape of a skull and crossbones. In addition, the player will have a debuff icon above their action bar informing them of the damage they are taking every second. This debuff is called Out of Time, and becomes deadly very quickly.

In addition, a boss may have enrage mechanics that aren't displayed as obviously in Inferno difficulty. An example would be that the fight with the Butcher will become increasingly more deadly as the fire grates below the player's feet will activate more frequently as time progresses during the battle. After nearly two minutes, the entire boss arena will be cloaked in flame with no safe place to step. Clarification is needed on this point, as it differs from the Out of Time debuff.
The design intention behind the enrage timer is to not allow a player to endlessly kite an elite monster across a map, but this quickly becomes problematic when some elites spawn with nasty defensive boss modifier combinations such as Invulnerable and Shielding.

The reason it kinda works in D3 is because it's the game's way of telling you "you don't have to drag this fight on, if you're forced to do this you're not prepared for this fight" which is a pretty sensible message for most of the playerbase (i.e. inexperienced, non-hardcore/permadeath players).

apple fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 6, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cyno (now Bultungin) are now in Trunk. Thanks SKULL.GIF!

quote:

Bultungins are a race of short-haired hyena-headed folk hailing from the arid deserts and grasslands of the east. With a variety of lurid tales told of them, others avoid the Bultungins. Despite their isolation, Bultungins are unusually drawn to the Dungeon... yet mentions of the Orb often generate blank stares, tilted heads, and involuntary drooling.

Bultungins are quick to learn, picking up the basics of any skill within a short period of time. Their attention wanes quickly, though, and they find it more and more difficult to train a given skill the more practised they become at it. Thus, Bultungins often prefer to dabble in a wide variety of fresh and interesting skills. Their powerful noses indicate to them where treasures lay hidden in the Dungeon.

Edit: Also, ##crawl-dev is already going crazy, so take your bets on time until removal/ruined! :v:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
whoever comes up with names for trunk species should be shot to the moon in a cannon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Gnoll was a better name

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

cheetah7071 posted:

Gnoll was a better name

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Devlan Mud posted:

whoever comes up with names for trunk species should be shot to the moon in a cannon

Mu. posted:

Bultungin.

That's on us.

Edit: SKULL.GIF was the one who cleaned up the rest of the species for committing, and picked Bultungin for the name because he liked the origin and it opens up more space for adding other mechanics down the line to add more flavor to the species. I'm fine with that, because I suck at names and ran out of ideas for secondary mechanics that would work well without overpowering the main species mechanic. If nobody else in the Crawl player base likes the name, I'm sure there won't be complaints about naming it Gnoll instead.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 7, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

In the Kanuri language of the former Bornu Empire in the Lake Chad region, werehyenas are referred to as bultungin which translates into "I change myself into a hyena".[2] It was once traditionally believed that one or two of the villages in the region was populated entirely by werehyenas,[1] such as Kabultiloa.[3]

Huh.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Quick, someone make a class that abbreviates into Tt so we can have BuTt's

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just call them Bultun. Or gnolls. Or fuckin dogs.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

*frantically scans the pages of lord of the rings for the word Bultungin*

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well, there are were-animals in tolkien, bultungin are were-hyenas, therefore.....

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Carcer posted:

Quick, someone make a class that abbreviates into Tt so we can have BuTt's

Tincturist
Tattooist
Time Traveller
Tiger Tamer
uh... Teletypist?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Some of those sound like /amazing/ background classes, but it's just not something that crawl could do.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Just call them Bultun. Or gnolls. Or fuckin dogs.

Or Cyno. Nothing wrong with Cyno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
How does this interact with Ashenzari? Ash gives a skill bonus that's affected by the species apt for that skill. So how does that work with Bu?

It seems crazy it would use the current apt because that would create a really weird interaction with levelling the skill.

• Locked thread