Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
how the gently caress do I actually watch my DVDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

sexpig by night posted:

how the gently caress do I actually watch my DVDs

Did you buy the TV at the discount shop in Yongen-Jaya?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Baal posted:

Did you buy the TV at the discount shop in Yongen-Jaya?

I have the TV, and I bought the DVD player, but there's no option to use it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just making sure treasures are safe to sell and once you complete a palace you can't revisit it, right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I have the TV, and I bought the DVD player, but there's no option to use it.

You need to click on the tv twice because it always has some flavor text dialogue at first, if it's still not working for you then, idk then. There's nothing that should particularly be holding you back.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also be sure to rent the dvds themselves on central street

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just making sure treasures are safe to sell and once you complete a palace you can't revisit it, right?

Yes and yes

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
One-shotted the third palace with the aid of a couple of coffees. Was running completely dry on SP by the time I hit the final area, so I was dodging enemies more than I was fighting them. Boss was surprisingly easy too. (Does his first form even do anything other than spam Evil Touch?)

Story was kinda less interesting than the previous 2 arcs, but the Palace design itself was pretty good, even if it is just ridiculously long. Also Makoto is great.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Persona 5 really is the ur-JRPG. I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to resent the core gameplay just a little bit because I wanna get back to my Tokyo Life Sim that much faster. And the gameplay is great for a turn-based RPG.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's crazy how much easier the second dungeon is because you're set up with a more resources and power

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Harlock posted:

It's crazy how much easier the second dungeon is because you're set up with a more resources and power
Oh heck yeah, from what I've seen so far the difficulty curve for this game is basically "rock climb straight up immediately, and once you crest the top it's a nice hill downwards"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You should run home to your mom

You are my mom

My precious baby boy *becomes a mask*

Why are demon conversations so weird. Like I laugh at them but then I imagine the MC actually just sayin the stupidest poo poo possible while holding someone at gunpoint and it just gets silly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm really bummed that there doesn't seem to be a way to get hp/sp back in dungeons outside of items

just wanna do the whole thing in one go; c'mon game don't be a dick

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm really bummed that there doesn't seem to be a way to get hp/sp back in dungeons outside of items

just wanna do the whole thing in one go; c'mon game don't be a dick

There is gear/skills that will let you do that.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
you can also just stealth past enemies if it really comes down to it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
God I love some of the fast forwards for later Social Links.

"You must have had a strategic mastermind advising you!"

"uh, yeah that's around when I started learning to play Shogi I guess."

"Someone was feeding you secret info!"

"i spent a few days teaching a street fortune teller fate doesn't actually exist...?"

Also it is insane how many mechanics are locked behind social link ranks.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 7, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
tfw you're playing a persona game and pick up that first sp regen item/skill and hit the sweet spot for being able to farm money and fill out your compendium

it's like getting the bat form in sotn or something

Zore posted:

Also it is insane how many mechanics are locked behind social link ranks.

I really like how they did this tbqh, time management and s links are half the gameplay and it gives them more tangible mechanical rewards than just a fusion xp boost

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 7, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

People who have never played a Persona game before, how are you feeling this game so far?

I couldn't get into Yakuza 0. Hoping this game will vibe with me.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
OH, is there any reason you can't hang out in mementos forever and keep resetting it for treasure, personas, and money until you get bored if you can manage HP/SP regen? like is the reaper still just from chilling on a FLOOR forever?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've spent a couple hours in there one time and never saw him so I presume it is just floor. Which does mean you can just grind it infinitely if you want, I guess?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ChocNitty posted:

People who have never played a Persona game before, how are you feeling this game so far?

It's fantastic.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

OH, is there any reason you can't hang out in mementos forever and keep resetting it for treasure, personas, and money until you get bored if you can manage HP/SP regen? like is the reaper still just from chilling on a FLOOR forever?

Grind your heart out buddy, it's great.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

wizard on a water slide posted:

tfw you're playing a persona game and pick up that first sp regen item/skill and hit the sweet spot for being able to farm money and fill out your compendium

it's like getting the bat form in sotn or something

I really like how they did this tbqh, time management and s links are half the gameplay and it gives them more tangible mechanical rewards than just a fusion xp boost

Oh, I agree. I was just surprised at how many new abilities I was unlocking through random people.

Quite a change from P3/4

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Shortest Path posted:

Grind your heart out buddy, it's great.

Zore posted:

Oh, I agree. I was just surprised at how many new abilities I was unlocking through random people.

:yeah:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also Futaba is an inkling and its really weirding me out.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Is any of the food worth buying? It all seems to be super expensive for what it does, i'm feeling like for healing items I should stick to that back-alley doctor. I'm still in the first month, in case the situation changes later.

Edit: Also should I basically always be negotiating with the enemy for recruitments, money, and items rather than just killing them outright?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

darealkooky posted:

you can also just stealth past enemies if it really comes down to it

except you can't because some are mandatory

like I had to kill an angel (that oneshot my entire party on normal lmao) and now I need to take out a group for a key. it's actually impossible for me to continue the dungeon outside of safe mode right now; I have to leave and it's lame

Viridiant posted:

Is any of the food worth buying? It all seems to be super expensive for what it does, i'm feeling like for healing items I should stick to that back-alley doctor. I'm still in the first month, in case the situation changes later.

Edit: Also should I basically always be negotiating with the enemy for recruitments, money, and items rather than just killing them outright?

you get more exp for killing them so no

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Viridiant posted:

The only food that's really worth buying is the SP stuff in the vending machine in front of the bathhouse. 400 yen for 4 tubes of +5 SP food helps a ton in the early game and they restock weekly.

quote:

you get more exp for killing them so no

Not quite true. You only get EXP for the one you negotiated with if you negotiate, but if you kill the rest and negotiate the last one you get the same EXP.

This helps a lot once you've done some Sun ranks and can make a poo poo-ton of money by killing everything except one thing with an exploitable weakness and then hitting it up for way more cash than the normal drop.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy this as my first Persona game. I'm not spending 250$ on a PS4 just for this though, I assume the thread title is true and it's perfectly acceptable to dust off the ol' PS3?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Dang I'm probably a bit behind in levels then. Thanks guys, that helps a lot!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Just three words

I'm a dad.

I loving died.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Axetrain posted:

I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy this as my first Persona game. I'm not spending 250$ on a PS4 just for this though, I assume the thread title is true and it's perfectly acceptable to dust off the ol' PS3?
i dont know how much clearer it can be made that the ps3 version is fine. there's a comparison video in the op, the thread title says its the same. do we need a custom thread tag.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Axetrain posted:

The PS3 version is exactly the same game with slightly more loadtimes and less background noise crowd npcs iirc

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
pro-tip to people w/ Spotify: put on the jet set radio soundtrack when you're exploring mementos

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Axetrain posted:

It's in the thread title for a reason. It's lower resolution, load times are a bit longer (PS4 has instantaneous or close to it, so it's not as bad as it might seem) and there's less faceless filler NPCs wandering around. That's it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Just making sure it wasn't some sort of sarcastic goon joke!

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I don't need to do every mementos request to get Moon to rank 10 do I? I think I missed one at the convenience store.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also Hifumi is surprisingly good. I was honestly not expecting that.

She's just such a dork. :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So is Makoto basically who the game assumes is the default waifu kind of like Rise in 4

I'm kinda getting that vibe from her scenes so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Zore posted:

The only food that's really worth buying is the SP stuff in the vending machine in front of the bathhouse. 400 yen for 4 tubes of +5 SP food helps a ton in the early game and they restock weekly.

There are additional purchases of these items available each week:

1 of each at the school courtyard and the arcade in shibuya, 2 of each available in shinjuku

That's +60 sp a week for pocket change, and it doesn't matter when you buy them as long as the machine sells out before Monday so it restocks.