Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

God drat it, the Walrus and the Carpenter is in my head now.

And honestly, I don't like Wizards save for it's Finale - I just don't like Bakshi's works, I respect him as an influence on animation, but there's just something about it that I just don't like.

You probably don't like its sucking, and the degree to which it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Top ten? Jeez. I just know I'm gonna forget some big movie that I really enjoyed, but sure, I'll take a stab.

1. Aladdin. I both listened to the score for this and played the Sega Genesis adaptation of it a lot as a kid, so I guess it's fair to say this film is a big part of my childhood. Irrespective of my intake of peripheral media related to the film, it's definitely one of Disney's best; great songs, bold colors, neatly self-contained plot, great character development, one of Disney's hammiest villains ever, the works. Might be interchangeable with #2, though.
  2. Zootopia. I'm still sort of obsessed with this one. The setting is super-generic on paper - yeah, a world where only animals exist, except they walk and talk like humans do, haven't heard that one before, from Disney themselves no less (I mean, Mickey Mouse) - and yet in practice I still find the end result super compelling. Plus, it's a drat fun film noir/buddy cop film; that it touches upon something as topical as prejudice in American society and all the pitfalls the Great American Melting Pot brings along with it is just gravy. Also, I really adore the score; the guitar for Nick's theme is just too good. Might be interchangeable with #1, but given I have history with Aladdin while Zootopia is still pretty new, it's probably safer to put it higher for now.
  3. Hunchback of Notre Dame. This one has a bit of a special significance for me, in that it came out just as my family and I were moving away from America for a three year stay in England, and I got to witness firsthand how the film that'd hit theaters in America was only just hitting theaters in Europe months later (and also, Burger King did the US toys, but McDonald's did them in England - or maybe it was vice versa, I forget). That said, the film on its own merits, sentimentality aside, is still amazing. Disney went dark for this one, but it paid off immensely. Frollo especially steals the show, basically taking the concept of a villainous lecher they had with Gaston but then removing any goofiness he had and replacing it with religious self-righteousness. I didn't mind the gargoyles as a kid, though as an adult I notice they should've been more consistent about whether or not they were figments of Quasimodo's imagination (like, if they are, then how are they participating in the climactic battle?).
  4. Beauty and the Beast. The film itself is a classic, of course, presenting a wonderful cast of side characters besides the two leads, and that's not even getting into how Gaston's one of the most memorable film villains ever made (even if Jafar is more delightfully hammy in his villainy, and Frollo a more-compelling lustful villain). Some of my earliest memories were of some Disney VHSes containing sing-alongs of the film's songs, particularly "Be Our Guest". I also listened to this soundtrack a lot as a kid, though outside of the songs, I found Aladdin's better overall.
  5. Nightmare Before Christmas. Though I think the love story between Jack and Sally is a bit rushed toward the end (given how oblivious Jack is all the way up until after the climactic fight), that Oogie Boogie seems like he was written in a bit late (he isn't even properly introduced until halfway in!) and that the Dr. Finklestein plot thread kinda went nowhere (given it was originally planned that he be Oogie Boogie, which obviously didn't happen in the final film), this is just a joy to watch otherwise, whether for Halloween, Christmas, or splitting the difference and watching it on Thanksgiving. Love the whimsical Danny Elfman score, too (and it's kind of nifty how Elfman's singing voice fits Chris Sarandon's speaking voice so well).
  6. Up, I think. I don't remember as much of the second half as I probably should, but it was inoffensive enough, and that first half was downright magical and made the film on its own. Probably my favorite Pixar film just for that half.
  7. Toy Story. Seeing an all-CGI animated film in theaters sure was a revelatory experience as a kid, one that's super easy to take for granted now that all animated films are all-CGI (barring anime and a few smaller releases). Besides that, it's just a well-made film all around that's still enjoyable to watch today, even after its CGI has aged considerably. Another film I played a lot of the game adaptation for.
  8. Iron Giant, because this list is getting waaaay too friggin' Disney-centric. To be fair, though, Iron Giant really deserves its spot up here; it's just a solid film all-around. Really dug the cynical artist and overzealous antagonist agent - wish their names weren't escaping me at the moment (I remember Hogarth's name, at least?). That said, I vaguely recall having the Iron Giant books read to me during the aforementioned stay in England, and I recall them being very different... Notably, taking place in England instead of Cold War-era America.
  9. Wreck-It Ralph!. While I'm a bit annoyed at how the Nicelanders gave Ralph poo poo for being himself, and then gave him poo poo for not being himself, and also somewhat annoyed at how the film basically goes from meta video game humor to almost entirely candy humor for the latter half of the film (probably to not alienate the not-insignificant chunk of the audience that's never played video games), this was a really solid film - one that I think I owe a rewatch at some point, thinking about it...
  10. The LEGO Movie, to end this on another not-Disney film. Really loved how it played with the whole "chosen one" plot trope (even if it ultimately ended up playing it straight, sort of), but the twist with The Man Upstairs was super inventive. Add in some super witty humor and you have a pretty great film. Not sure how dated it'll feel in ten years or so, but for now, everything (about it) is awesome.

Suppose I should also give special mention to Anastasia (the only Don Bluth film I remember the basic plot to, though I have vague memories of Thumbelina), Wall-E (again more for its opening half than its closing half), the various Toy Story sequels (I might actually like Toy Story 2 more than the first, not sure), Hercules, Mulan, Fantasia 2000 (hell, the "Blue Rhapsody" segment alone), Lion King, Pocahontas (not a great film, but I have fond memories), Oliver and Company, Prince of Egypt (though I really need to give it a rewatch), Fantastic Mr. Fox, the various Wallace and Gromit films (well, only Curse of the Were Rabbit is feature-length, but I dunno if I'd call call The Wrong Trousers or A Close Shave "shorts"...), the first two Shrek films (even if the internet memes surrounding the franchise are starting to grate on my opinion of it as a whole), Atlantis (forgot about that somehow, thanks for the reminder Aces), Emperor's New Groove, and like a bajillion Christmas specials (mostly the usual Rankin Bass suspects, Mr. Magoo Christmas Carol and A Charlie Brown Christmas).

Also: I liked Pagemaster growing up. I suspect I'd still find it okay on a rewatch. (My standards are not very high.)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 7, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you liked TS2 more than TS1, you're why Pixar stopped making interesting films :bahgawd:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Toys are kinda boring. Same as cars. Who's choosing these movie themes??

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Beauty and the Beast (1991) isn't even a good Beauty and the Beast movie, it's silly to put it on a pedestal out of nostalgia.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I give the medium of animation 2.5/10. It clearly peaked with Gertie the Dinosaur.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Robindaybird posted:

And honestly, I don't like Wizards save for it's Finale - I just don't like Bakshi's works, I respect him as an influence on animation, but there's just something about it that I just don't like.

His animation style is rather crude, partly due to budget constraints and partly due to his aesthetic sensibilities, and I can see how that would be off-putting. On top of that, his writing style feels very stream of conciousness at times. What makes Wizards so fascinating is that it's such a hodgepodge of different ideas, themes, and plot elements. It's a stark difference to the straightforward narrative style Disney or Ghibli employ.

Plus, you know, being a countercultural artist is inevitably going to date your work because culture shifts.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pick posted:

If you liked TS2 more than TS1, you're why Pixar stopped making interesting films :bahgawd:

What if I like 2 more than 1 but would be perfectly happy if they'd never made 2 due to refusal to do sequels?

I guess this was my "hate the game, not the player" defence of Toy Story 2. Thank you for reading.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Who Framed Roger Rabbit shouldn't be on anyone's Top 10 children-appropriate list, because when I killed your brother, I talked JUST LIKE :siren: THIS :siren: :gonk:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only thing going for Toy Story 2 is the song.

Which did not connect with me at all leaving me coming away with the film feeling like I just watched some DTV nonsense.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
in case anyone was chomping at the bit to see Spark, the bad-looking movie about the space monkey who has generic adventures, bad news: open road films realized how bad of an idea going up against Fast 8 would be and has chopped its theatrical release from the low 2000s to just 350.

Which means it'll still get a wide enough release to screen near me, so I'll still have to grapple with the idea of actually seeing it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

The only thing going for Toy Story 2 is the song.

Which did not connect with me at all leaving me coming away with the film feeling like I just watched some DTV nonsense.

That's what it was going to be originally. Until Disney changed their mind and gave it to Pixar to do properly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Story_2#Development

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IUG posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit shouldn't be on anyone's Top 10 children-appropriate list, because when I killed your brother, I talked JUST LIKE :siren: THIS :siren: :gonk:

That didn't bother me nearly as much as the shoe dip :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Toy Story 2 was the outlier, for me, that sequels always sucks and I don't mean stuff as part of trilogies and series (though this was a few years out from Harry Potter). To this day I am still of the opinion that Pixar is the only company that can make a good sequel.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Martytoof posted:

That didn't bother me nearly as much as the shoe dip :smith:

That didn't bother me nearly as much as

I didn't get it as a kid, I thought Jessica Rabbit had transformed horribly :gonk:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Your Name is really, really good, you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slxe2DZI-VA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

Toy Story 2 was the outlier, for me, that sequels always sucks and I don't mean stuff as part of trilogies and series (though this was a few years out from Harry Potter). To this day I am still of the opinion that Pixar is the only company that can make a good sequel.

You hate Aliens and Terminator 2?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Unmature posted:

Is this your channel or did you just really want to share a bland internet critic?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unmature posted:

I haven't watched anime in probably fifteen or twenty years but this looks like a neat movie. Thanks for the heads up!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is this your channel or did you just really want to share a bland internet critic?

:siren: Internet Tough Guy Alarm :siren:

EDIT: Hah, I didn't even realize that was you posting. You are literally worthless.

Martytoof posted:

I haven't watched anime in probably fifteen or twenty years but this looks like a neat movie. Thanks for the heads up!

No prob, bud! Please let me know what you think. I'm so glad people are finally getting to see this movie (legally).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's Bravest of the Lamp. His entire thing is going into threads and trying to start internet slap fights. Just ignore him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Unmature posted:

You are literally worthless.

No prob, bud! Please let me know what you think. I'm so glad people are finally getting to see this movie (legally).

The about-face here is amazing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TIL Toy Story 2 is apparently Bad, Actually

IDGAF. I enjoy the snot out of it regardless. Thinking about it at not-3AM, though, Toy Story 3 is probably the better of the Toy Story sequels.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

TIL Toy Story 2 is apparently Bad, Actually

IDGAF. I enjoy the snot out of it regardless. Thinking about it at not-3AM, though, Toy Story 3 is probably the better of the Toy Story sequels.

When Toy Story 3 came out they released a double feature of 1 and 2 in 3D. It was my first time watching them as an adult and I think TS2 became my favorite.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hold it with the academic lingo, you eggheads, this debate is starting to get esoteric.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I just remembered Galaxy High existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buhOXTbyAag

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My favorite thing about Toy Story 3 is the episode of China, Il ("Total Validation"), where the B-plot is one of the main characters losing his poo poo because he's the only person who didn't like it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pick posted:

My favorite thing about Toy Story 3 is the episode of China, Il ("Total Validation"), where the B-plot is one of the main characters losing his poo poo because he's the only person who didn't like it.
My favorite thing was the video of the edit that one guy did to make the film end at the furnace scene and depress the poo poo out of some youngsters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow Hog posted:

My favorite thing was the video of the edit that one guy did to make the film end at the furnace scene and depress the poo poo out of some youngsters.

I think it was his mother, and yes the whole story is amazing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pick posted:

That show is so goddamn underrated.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

guys what if flynn died

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Unmature posted:

That show is so goddamn underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA89RWCnE1c

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

If there was ever an example of a climax elevating the whole story, it's that.

I recently rewatched both Wizards and Heavy Metal and enjoyed Wizards and all it's weirdness way more.

Maybe I should watch Fire and Ice and/or Rock and Rule again too.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Okay here's my list of stuff I actually remember watching.

Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Spirited Away

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You described my monthly average VHS viewings

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Okay here's my list of stuff I actually remember watching.

Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shrek
Shreked Away

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well poo poo, now you've got me looking kinda dumb. :(

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

21 Muns posted:

guys what if flynn died

Jake is totally going to die at the end of adventure time
:goonsay:

(Fun fact: I got yelled at for making fun of this theory in the dedicated Adventure Time thread.)

Anyway Top Ten! of the top of my head and subject to wild changes:
1) Secret of NIMH
2) Beauty and the Beast
3) The Iron Giant
4) the Toy Story trilogy. The whole thing. Fight me. (Please do not actually fight me.)
5) Kiki's Delivery Service
6) The Incredibles
7) Sleeping Beauty
8) The Land Before Time
9) WALL-E
10) My Neighbor Totoro

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Regalingualius posted:

Well poo poo, now you've got me looking kinda dumb. :(

There is no judgement in the house of Shrek :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ImpAtom posted:

You hate Aliens and Terminator 2?

when Toy Story 2 came out I hadn't seen Aliens and I hadn't seen The Terminator so I couldn't make that judgement call. However I still stand by my statement that Pixar, as a studio, is the only studio that consistently releases good sequels :colbert: