Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I have a Ryuji link at 7 or so and just did the Shiisa fusion challenge so I have a super powerful persona above my character level by like 5.

Plus he's strong against Gun and Phys. A good drat Persona.

It's also funny how every game I play my Jack Frost always has a ton of skills through fusion. This usually carries over to Black Frost but I don't know what level he is in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Holy poo poo, :hfive: one day clear buddies. That first dungeon took some doing, and I had to sleep on the final leg of it but the first palace is down on schedule!

I ended up grinding to 11ish once I found the treasure room and fused a Jack Frost, which really changed the game in terms of damage output. Holy poo poo it like doubled my Bufu damage. Good stuff.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Best animation so far is Morgana celebrating after each battle.

Yep.

:woop:

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
I really think the Big Bang Burger Challenge should have been a Tetris-type minigame, with failure resulting in puking all over the restaurant.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So where do you get the book that helps with the flower shop job?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've never really played a Persona game before, how badly can I gently caress my poo poo up if I don't follow a guide?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
THE CAKE KNIGHT RISES

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fadam posted:

I've never really played a Persona game before, how badly can I gently caress my poo poo up if I don't follow a guide?

Don't follow a guide. You won't max everything but you will do fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fadam posted:

Unless you're literally going home and going straight to bed after school every single day, not at all.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

fadam posted:

Guides are just optimizing tools. You'll have way more fun if you just roll with it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

fadam posted:

Paradoxically then, following a guide might be the worst mistake you could make. The optimal guides (and thus far only one for this particular game!) presume you already know what you're doing in order to minimise time dungeon crawling and expect you to be able to clear everything in one run. If you've never played any Persona before, this can be a pretty hefty challenge - especially early on.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Going in without a guide what so ever may be a bit much. If you allow yourself to look up answers to questions in class, how to start certain social links, and how to fuse the persona you want then you will do just fine. All three issues are things that you should feel no shame in looking up as a lot of the lesson stuff will be about material that chances are you have not even heard about, some of the social links take a lot of effort to start, and figuring out the fusion charts is a nightmare.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

fadam posted:

You'll be fine. It's nearly impossible to get yourself into an unwinnable state.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

fadam posted:

I just beat Persona 3 a couple of months ago, I don't think I maxed every social stat (maybe just Academics? There were only 3 in P3 anyway), and I only Maxed a few Social Links too. It's difficult to really screw yourself up, if you're stuck on a boss your best course is just to fuse a stronger/better Persona. I wouldn't stress too much about it, between the Compendium and Negotiation it's very difficult to really screw yourself over.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Going in without a guide what so ever may be a bit much. If you allow yourself to look up answers to questions in class, how to start certain social links, and how to fuse the persona you want then you will do just fine. All three issues are things that you should feel no shame in looking up as a lot of the lesson stuff will be about material that chances are you have not even heard about, some of the social links take a lot of effort to start, and figuring out the fusion charts is a nightmare.

You can use the network functions to get answers to class questions (I figured this out accidentally), as well as see what options are available by see what everyone else did that day.

By the way, this game has a digital manual, and the fusion chart is in there.

http://atlus.com/persona5/manual/ps4/?pid=50

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You'll probably want to do NG+ for the bonus boss anyway, so that's when you want to optimize. Just have fun the first time round.

First Boss gave me a slight blow to my ego by forcing me to go to Normal. I imagine I'd have been fine if I'd levelled enough, but my party was fairly underleveled (at 9) and I didn't really want to go back to grind, and then he turned out to be ridiculously easy on Normal. Hopefully I can just go Hard the rest of the way.

I definitely feel like I'm falling behind on SLs though even though I'm already on the second dungeon. I can't even get Lovers to rank 2 since I didn't even get Kindness up. Plus juggling the slow Sojiro SL and I'm working on opening up the speech guy and hoping to get enough Guts for the weapon shop guy means nighttime is surprisingly busy.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there no fox analogue this time around to heal your sp for all yo yens, yip yip yip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tithin posted:

Is there no fox analogue this time around to heal your sp for all yo yens, yip yip yip
the equivalent is coffee, basically

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Endorph posted:

the equivalent is coffee, basically

:coffeepal:

I started playing on hard because I'm a glutton for punishment and after clearing the first investigation evening, sort of realised that SP is going to be at a premium unless i've got a way to heal it efficiently

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

tithin posted:

:coffeepal:

I started playing on hard because I'm a glutton for punishment and after clearing the first investigation evening, sort of realised that SP is going to be at a premium unless i've got a way to heal it efficiently

As far as I can tell, there isn't. So you gotta make a lot of coffee. Problem is that coffee can only be made at night and it takes time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Making coffee owns actually cause at least at Rank 3 with Sojiro it's 30 SP a coffee and making it increases your relationship with him, so just sit there and make coffee until dad wants to hang

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
theres other ways to get SP but it will also cost all yo yens, yip yip yip

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's another kind of fox in this game that can get you that sweet sweet sp

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

As far as I can tell, there isn't. So you gotta make a lot of coffee. Problem is that coffee can only be made at night and it takes time.

Too many activities I want to do take time and it is starting to stress me out. Not to mention there was like two weeks in May that was all story and despite not doing anything exhaustive during the day you had to go straight to sleep at night. Let me watch a DVD or make lockpicks drat it! "Let's not do that right now." Screw you, you drat cat!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I keep picking up my Switch to play this and it's making me crazy.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Moltrey posted:

Making coffee owns actually cause at least at Rank 3 with Sojiro it's 30 SP a coffee and making it increases your relationship with him, so just sit there and make coffee until dad wants to hang

I did this and I swear my slink for him jumped from 1 to 3 stars because I spent 4 nights making coffee

SettingSun posted:

"Let's not do that right now." Screw you, you drat cat!

Persona 5: Let's not do that right now

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 7, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SettingSun posted:

Too many activities I want to do take time and it is starting to stress me out. Not to mention there was like two weeks in May that was all story and despite not doing anything exhaustive during the day you had to go straight to sleep at night. Let me watch a DVD or make lockpicks drat it! "Let's not do that right now." Screw you, you drat cat!

You literally spend a Sunday just having a 30 minute conversation with one guy and you don't even get to do anything at night. Curse you Morgana!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Oh boy the 4th palace does not mess around. Mudoon, Hamaon, Despair, Makarakarn. Although the animation of the murder-monkey Thoth retreat-rolling is pretty adorable.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

You literally spend a Sunday just having a 30 minute conversation with one guy and you don't even get to do anything at night. Curse you Morgana!

"Exams are coming up soon, better study!" Then the game puts me in 3 or 4 days of story and sleeping. I don't think I'm making it to the top for the first exam.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
e: nevermind, I see it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You can't spend your night both making coffee and doing something else, you won't get enough sleep!

If only you could make something that could keep you awake and alert with less sleep. But such is a pipe dream.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I got my fifth party member and now I'm gonna need several hours to figure out who is getting ditched

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If I get a mask and immediately discard it because I'm full up does it still go into my Persona registry?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I got my fifth party member and now I'm gonna need several hours to figure out who is getting ditched

No one because hifumi lets you switch out characters from your bench

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

If I get a mask and immediately discard it because I'm full up does it still go into my Persona registry?

The answer, as it turns out, is no.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Arist posted:

The answer, as it turns out, is no.

Yeah, found that out the hard way too, that's why I always replace a lovely persona in my list. I can always resummon it later.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

No one because hifumi lets you switch out characters from your bench

I'm probably gonna ditch Ann (I haven't even gotten party number five yet). She's a nice backup healer, but she usually goes last anyway and chances are MC/Ryuji is gonna be doing the bulk of the damage anyway. It's like why I never really used Mitsuru in P3.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I like Ann because she seems to have a lot of SP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've got everyone around 28 at least and Ann still hasn't learned anything better than Dia so she's on the bench, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm probably gonna ditch Ann (I haven't even gotten party number five yet). She's a nice backup healer, but she usually goes last anyway and chances are MC/Ryuji is gonna be doing the bulk of the damage anyway. It's like why I never really used Mitsuru in P3.

Mutsuru was the only one to learn mind charge, her damage was excellent, probably the highest non mc character.