Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
If you cast Approach of the Second Sun and respond by copying it, the first will resolve gaining you 7 and the second, which was cast from your hand, wins? Or does the copied one not count because when it was "cast" it wasn't Approach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

A dev article said there will not be efficient self mill spells like Grapple or Commune with the Gods in this set, just FYI.

I like being able to play 4x Grapple and 4x Vessel of Nascency in my standard deck. The card that was amazing in those decks was Satyr Wayfinder... That card was SO stupid powerful.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 7, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

If you cast Approach of the Second Sun and respond by copying it, the first will resolve gaining you 7 and the second, which was cast from your hand, wins? Or does the copied one not count because when it was "cast" it wasn't Approach?

It won't work, because the copy wasn't cast. It's the same reason a storm spell doesn't go on forever.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You don't win, the first one you actually cast is the first time it was cast that game. Copied spells are not cast, so the copy and the cast spell will gain you 7 life.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Now put it under Eye Of The Storm and play stack chicken.

Edit: Man I am still incapable of reading the words 'from your hand'

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The token's kinda creepy

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
approach of the seven suns -> remand your own approach -> cast it again -> ez wins

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I suppose I can't be mad at people for not RTFCing a card that's not even in English, but drat some of you aren't making it easy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

What makes you think that? It's part of the resolution of the spell just like everything else.

I'm reading both potential effects of the card (win/gain life) as checking only to see if the spell is cast, not resolution. I feel like the way this card should read is:
If Approach of the Second Sun was cast from your hand and you already cast another spell named Approach of the Second Sun in this game, you win the game.
Put Approach of the Second Sun in its owner's library seven cards from the top and you gain 7 life.

So in this case, the lifegain clause is now independent of the casting check, and just happens as part of the spell resolving. Unless they worded it this way to avoid having a player win the game in the middle of casting a spell. Which is why I was wondering if the translation was off, the wording on the English version might make this cast vs. resolve check more explicit.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

little munchkin posted:

approach of the seven suns -> remand your own approach -> cast it again -> ez wins

You did it! 2 card combo win on turn 15!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

From Top Level Podcast, according to the link I saw on Tumblr

EDIT: I wanna see Cycling-Control stuff. Not many Cycling counterspells, but Complicate exists. And that new Enchantment that makes Drakes

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 7, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

I'm reading both potential effects of the card (win/gain life) as checking only to see if the spell is cast, not resolution. I feel like the way this card should read is:
If Approach of the Second Sun was cast from your hand and you already cast another spell named Approach of the Second Sun in this game, you win the game.
Put Approach of the Second Sun in its owner's library seven cards from the top and you gain 7 life.

So in this case, the lifegain clause is now independent of the casting check, and just happens as part of the spell resolving. Unless they worded it this way to avoid having a player win the game in the middle of casting a spell. Which is why I was wondering if the translation was off, the wording on the English version might make this cast vs. resolve check more explicit.

All of the spell happens on resolution. The only thing that happens when you cast it is that the spell goes on the stack.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

St0rmD posted:

You did it! 2 card combo win on turn 15!

contingency plan makes it in two turns.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

C-Euro posted:

Triggered abilities always start with when, whenever or at. This starts with "if" (si). It's not a cast trigger.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Serperoth posted:

From Top Level Podcast, according to the link I saw on Tumblr

EDIT: I wanna see Cycling-Control stuff. Not many Cycling counterspells, but Complicate exists. And that new Enchantment that makes Drakes

This is a sweet build-around, though having enough cards in hand on a stable board on turn 6 could be tricky. It's probably not good, but it is pretty sweet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lol Gideon is dumb as hell and didn't realize what was going on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

You are a beautiful, beautiful card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

You are a beautiful, beautiful card.

It's bad. Great flavor though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wish you could use the ability like Carpet of Flowers but for precombat main only.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Modern Playable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That river enchantment is sweet but I don't know what deck wants it outside of EDH. I hope one emerges for it.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Triggered abilities always start with when, whenever or at. This starts with "if" (si). It's not a cast trigger.

OK yeah that's where I'm getting tripped up, thanks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Modern Playable.

In what?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's bad. Great flavor though.

It's exactly the kind of card that I like. Iwill surely brew some U/G deck only to play with this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's exactly the kind of card that I like. Iwill surely brew some U/G deck only to play with this.

It'll be sweet in limited for sure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Any green deck depending on what metagame you're expecting. Cycle G is awesome on cards like this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Is this your first main phase or the mysterious pre-combat step that you can only get to by saying the correct lingo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

In general niche cards with cycling are pretty drat good. For example, maindeck relic of progenitus as a cantrip that randomly hoses some decks game 1, which was actually a thing when Dredge was huge.

I'd expect this to show up maindeck in small numbers (depending on metagame). It's also a potential sideboard option against decks that only have like one artifact you care about (but it's really bad for you) - you have an answer if you need it, and if they don't draw the card you're scared of you can just cycle it for something else. But that second usage probably gets squeezed out due to limited sideboard space.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

In general niche cards with cycling are pretty drat good. For example, maindeck relic of progenitus as a cantrip that randomly hoses some decks game 1, which was actually a thing when Dredge was huge.

I'd expect this to show up maindeck in small numbers (depending on metagame). It's also a potential sideboard option against decks that only have like one artifact you care about (but it's really bad for you) - you have an answer if you need it, and if they don't draw the card you're scared of you can just cycle it for something else. But that second usage probably gets squeezed out due to limited sideboard space.

In standard I think it depends on how much Magma Spray pushes Scrapheap Scrounger out of the format...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

Flexible sideboard options are generally the things that get squeezed last. I would imagine pros put a high premium on cycling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Flexible sideboard options are generally the things that get squeezed last. I would imagine pros put a high premium on cycling.

SB cards that cycle are so frigging sweet since there are lots of games where you draw too many SB cards and they end up doing nothing. It also hedges you against SB'ing decisions your opponent might make like taking out their HoK's if they expect artifact hate.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

Is this your first main phase or the mysterious pre-combat step that you can only get to by saying the correct lingo.

wait, are you serious?

e: It's the first main phase. Says it right there on the card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

wait, are you serious?

e: It's the first main phase. Says it right there on the card.

Yes, pre-combat wording seems silly if its just your first main phase.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Yes, pre-combat wording seems silly if its just your first main phase.

The card explicitly says "precombat main phase".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This is a cool card that's really awkwardly worded in a way where you have to read it carefully 3 times to make sure you know what it's actually doing.

So it does nothing the turn you play it, then on successive turns you alternate drawing a card or getting CGU?

And somehow getting additional flood counters on it does nothing?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

No that's the future revisited Arabian set where Ali Baba must gain access to this mysterious phase man cave by using the magic words.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

The problem with this is that it's flexible in-game - you get to choose whether you want the effect, or just another random card. That's not the kind of flexibility you're looking for in your sideboard, where you want cards that are high-impact against the specific decks you bring them in for. So generally you want cards that flex to being solid upgrades against a wider variety of decks, or that are just so ridiculously good against a narrow selection of decks that they justify their slots. Compare it to Naturalize, which has a larger selection of decks you'd consider using it against, or Ancient Grudge, which is similarly narrow but much more effective against the decks where it's relevant.

The in-game flexibility (and the pretty high floor on usefulness) that you get from cycling is substantially more useful for maindeck cards, where you don't actually know going in whether a card is going to be useful against a particular opponent.

That said, in this particular Standard this card is going to be a great sideboard answer to Heart of Kiran, since it answers it cleanly but isn't going to be dead when they don't draw the Heart (or you manage to answer it some other way first). I've definitely had bad experiences with Release the Gremlins being stranded while Gideon beats me down.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hey it's the Nile River.

Hey it's Naturalize with Upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

This is a cool card that's really awkwardly worded in a way where you have to read it carefully 3 times to make sure you know what it's actually doing.

So it does nothing the turn you play it, then on successive turns you alternate drawing a card or getting CGU?

And somehow getting additional flood counters on it does nothing?

Yep pretty much that's it to me.
Cast
upkeep: (remove) draw, counter
upkeep: (remove) mana
upkeep: (remove) draw, counter

Etc

• Locked thread