Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol Ann's slink. We can't outright say the name "Fujiko Mine" so let's just beat around the bush for like 20 text boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I dropped Ann for the fifth member because the MC can sling the fire spells and Morgana had media at that time, while Ann didn't. And Ryuji has a kickass pirate persona so he's not leaving any time soon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
At around level 28, party composition completely stops mattering because Ryuji can melt through anything you end up fighting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I also dropped Ryuji because he and Ann have redundant elements for my current Persona setup :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I kind of wish Joker's actual mask would change depending on which persona is equipped. Even if it was just a color change

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

SettingSun posted:

You can use the network functions to get answers to class questions (I figured this out accidentally), as well as see what options are available by see what everyone else did that day.

By the way, this game has a digital manual, and the fusion chart is in there.

http://atlus.com/persona5/manual/ps4/?pid=50

Wow, this manual is really nice.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you don't rotate your party members you're a terrible person.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, I usually bring out Ryuji for bosses, but Moon is great primarily because it means I don't have to rotate as long as everyone's got SP.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Arist posted:

I've got everyone around 28 at least and Ann still hasn't learned anything better than Dia so she's on the bench, unfortunately.

Ann gets in for non-MC Agi and healing. As soon as her SP drops she's benched. Not being able to use her HP bar to stretch out the palace grinding is a problem.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

okay gently caress despair

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SettingSun posted:

I dropped Ann for the fifth member because the MC can sling the fire spells and Morgana had media at that time, while Ann didn't. And Ryuji has a kickass pirate persona so he's not leaving any time soon.

Wow, dropping someone with an S+ AOA splash art for someone with like a C- one at best. Shameful.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Saint Freak posted:

Wow, dropping someone with an S+ AOA splash art for someone with like a C- one at best. Shameful.

He dropped Ann, not Morgana.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
One thing that's bugging me about the story (spoilers for post-second palace): It feels like they foreshadowed Goro having access to the Metaverse way too early. You've known him for all of ten minutes before he overhears Morgana talking about pancakes, and with how long the game is, they could probably have afforded to go with a slower burn on that particular plot point. Unless it comes up before/during the fourth palace, which I kinda doubt it will.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Persona 3 on PS2 will drive you up the wall if you use Direct Commands option for your party in P5/P4 and the ability to use direct commands in P3 PSP makes that game the definitive version for me, even before FeMC and despite the pared back presentation.

if you had issues with the P3 AI it's your fault for leaving them on "act freely" and not analyzing everything

with that said dunno why 4/5 have even bothered to keep this feature if they're gonna remove most of the AI tactics and rework how analyze works, esp in this game where you can just autocast their weakness.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finally beat Kamoshida last night - like any great Persona boss I loved that you could identify every piece of emotional baggage on him.

Currently just riding out the wait til "expulsion". Wish I could follow the thread more but I don't want to get spoiled by anything.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Artelier posted:

okay gently caress despair

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

if you had issues with the P3 AI it's your fault for leaving them on "act freely" and not analyzing everything

with that said dunno why 4/5 have even bothered to keep this feature if they're gonna remove most of the AI tactics and rework how analyze works, esp in this game where you can just autocast their weakness.

Except for literally every single boss where all of their weaknesses/resistances come back as "???". Also, Yukari throwing out a healing powder even though she has enough SP to use diarahan and getting the MC killed because of it.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

At around level 28, party composition completely stops mattering because Ryuji can melt through anything you end up fighting.

gently caress he starts doing that really early. I noticed how insanely strong he was at the end of the first palace.

When he constantly boasts for you to buy him the best weapon all of the time, he's not kidding.

Starting 3rd arc with 3 Guts, 3 Knowledge, 2 Kindness, 2 Charm and 2 proficiency, paranoid over whether or not it's enough. How the hell do you get parts for making lock picks anyway?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Saagonsa posted:

Except for literally every single boss where all of their weaknesses/resistances come back as "???". Also, Yukari throwing out a healing powder even though she has enough SP to use diarahan and getting the MC killed because of it.

Actually in P3 even if a boss shows stuff as ??? the AI controlled characters will still know what attacks to use or not to use, for example if a boss was immune to wind and you analyzed even if it shows nothing Yukari would still stop using wind skills.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

If yukari is set to heal/support she will spend all of her SP doing the most healing possible. likewise a good 80% of the commands make it literally impossible for mitsuru to use aliments (even tho charm is pretty broken in that game, a lot of the tarterus bosses are open to it)

there's still the edge case on harder difficulties where your hp is high but not high enough to avoid being one shot by the boss and yukari will choose to either heal herself or use a weaker group heal because everyone else has lost way more of their HP % wise, but that happened to me once in 80 hours & hard mode was clearly not thought out or in the original game so :shrug:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Night Blade posted:

gently caress he starts doing that really early. I noticed how insanely strong he was at the end of the first palace.

When he constantly boasts for you to buy him the best weapon all of the time, he's not kidding.

Starting 3rd arc with 3 Guts, 3 Knowledge, 2 Kindness, 2 Charm and 2 proficiency, paranoid over whether or not it's enough. How the hell do you get parts for making lock picks anyway?

There's actually a little store just down the street from Lablanc that sells the silk stuff and maybe the clasped tin, it only has 3 of each per day though.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Night Blade posted:

You can buy them from the second hand shop in Yongen, but you should have plenty just from enemy drops anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah the P3 AI was funky as hell. After enough battles you could tell what the triggers were for casting certain spells under certain orders. I remember in the final battle the boss would not take off enough HP to warrant Yukari using mediarahan but it was enough to die horribly if the boss casted almost anything else. So I usually shouldered the healing as the MC and let Mitsuru Mind Charge + Bufudyne (or more likely, she gets charmed in full heals the boss).

At lease in P3 if you knocked down an enemy they lost their whole turn if they were down when it came around and that was oh so exploitable.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

If yukari is set to heal/support she will spend all of her SP doing the most healing possible.

I know for a fact this isn't true. That scenario with the medical powder happened to me (several times) when fighting Erebus, and she was definitly on heal/support.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've never played a version of P3 with direct commands because I only played it when it came out

my first thought is "wouldn't direct commands make the game a lot easier"?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

I know for a fact this isn't true. That scenario with the medical powder happened to me (several times) when fighting Erebus, and she was definitly on heal/support.

In that case I dunno what to say (other than you should feel bad for playing the answer because it sucks) because that poo poo literally never happened to me in my complete playthroughs of both the OG game and FES. I've never even seen characters besides the three that don't learn dia use items.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I've never played a version of P3 with direct commands because I only played it when it came out

my first thought is "wouldn't direct commands make the game a lot easier"?

The answer is yes. 100% yes. This is P3P's biggest plus for me, besides FeMC and the better social links.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Going to p3 without direct command with Eternal Punishment and basically any other game on my mind made the lack of direct command infuriating. I still beat it after adjusting, but in 4 and 5 I leave direct command on for the sake of my mental health.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

You can buy them from the second hand shop in Yongen, but you should have plenty just from enemy drops anyway.

Oh good, I'll get some next time then. I fight a lot in palaces but I didn't even have enough to make a single lock pick after finishing the second.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You can't spend your night both making coffee and doing something else, you won't get enough sleep!

If only you could make something that could keep you awake and alert with less sleep. But such is a pipe dream.

Why are you trying to make coffee? Aren't you exhausted?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The MC's insistence on enjoying a perfect, uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep ever single night (even before weekends) is easily his greatest weakness.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Gruckles posted:

Why are you trying to make coffee? Aren't you exhausted?

I'm surprised cat-men lets you even feed the plant after doing something even vaguely involving.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
~my immersion~ was broken when there was no option to spend an all-nighter before exams

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Imagine what you could get done with even 6 hours of sleep instead of 8. You'd be a social juggarnaut.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Deified Data posted:

The MC's insistence on enjoying a perfect, uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep ever single night (even before weekends) is easily his greatest weakness.

I regularly try to go for 8 hours of sleep per night so I can relate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What kind of weirdo has enough leisure time to remain motionless for 8 hours?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ImpAtom posted:

What kind of weirdo has enough leisure time to remain motionless for 8 hours?

How many people do you think have 40 hours in this game already?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
People who beat this game will be motionless save for their thumbs for 80 hours

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is a guy who will wake up, do one load of laundry, take a bath, and go to bed. He is either anemic or severely depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

gently caress anubis and constant hamaon mudoon spam i previously had no game overs and now every time I fight one I have to pray