Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Well, that was a short rollercoaster of a post.

I know. Goddamn it Aramaki, why don't you go back and do a Bubblegum Crisis reboot? We're due one this decade and you'll be ruining your own works with your uncanny valley CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I followed that link and it mentioned a GitS: The New Movie? What's that, any good?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

I followed that link and it mentioned a GitS: The New Movie? What's that, any good?

It's about as good as a title so lacking in creativity that it's just called "The New Movie" would indicate.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

That's the Arise movie. I haven't seen it, for 2 reasons:

Firstly, the episodes of Arise that lead into and set up the movie have not been not been localized for Region 1 (last I heard). Like, there's no dub, and there's no proper way to watch even the sub. You can buy it on DVD, but not region 1. Last I heard. So even though I can watch the movie, I can't watch the lead up to it. That's loving dumb.

Secondly, Arise loving sucks. Like, it's kinda neat, but it's bad. It's way worse than this 2017 movie in pretty much every way. So there's not a lot of incentive for me to watch it.

edit: It looks like "Pyrophoric Cult" (the missing episode arc of Arise) is on Funimation for subscribers.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 7, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

In the pre-release period for GitS17, whenever I read someone worrying that it would "ruin GitS," I always thought "Eh, no way it's worse than Arise." Like, even if a franchise could be "ruined" by a bad installment, Arise already dragged it through the mud of mediocrity.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Alan_Shore posted:

I'd definitely revisit the director's cut with all that poo poo put back in (if it's even real that is). Sounds like a much more interesting film. If they really did drastically re-cut the film that explains why it felt so empty.

Just listen to that Paramount exec tho:

“We had hopes for better results domestically. I think the conversation regarding casting impacted the reviews,” said Davies, Paramount’s domestic distribution chief. “You’ve got a movie that is very important to the fanboys since it’s based on a Japanese anime movie. So you’re always trying to thread that needle between honoring the source material and make a movie for a mass audience. That’s challenging, but clearly the reviews didn’t help.”

The balls on this rear end in a top hat! "Well we want to honor the source material, but y'know we can't have a yellow person in the lead for a mass audience! I mean, you know what I'm saying, right? Also those mean reviews!"

I found the film pretty but SUPER boring. But let us know what you think!

They tried to have the best of both worlds and they got neither. It would've worked a little better if they casted an Asian-american actress to fit the character, because if she was orignally Japanese before being westernised then that feels weird...and rewrite the script so that newcomers don't feel confused when getting immersed into GITS while respecting the old school fans.

Basically Paramount, Rupert and co. COULD'VE made a decent sci-fi flick but made it lovely and forgettable...and not even Scarjo's selling factor could save it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks everyone, guess I won't be checking the new movie after all.

I mean "The New Movie" not the new movie, which I already checked out.

gently caress.

Junior Jr. posted:

They tried to have the best of both worlds and they got neither. It would've worked a little better if they casted an Asian-american actress to fit the character, because if she was orignally Japanese before being westernised then that feels weird...and rewrite the script so that newcomers don't feel confused when getting immersed into GITS while respecting the old school fans.

Basically Paramount, Rupert and co. COULD'VE made a decent sci-fi flick but made it lovely and forgettable...and not even Scarjo's selling factor could save it.

It's weird though, when you bring up the point of immersing a new audience in GitS. I'd never heard of the manga when I watched it the first time pre-Internet, and sure it was a little confusing but after a rewatch or two I figured out the stuff I was confused about (it helped that I WANTED to rewatch it). This new film seems to do a worse job in that regard than the original. I guess having long monologues did help though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, more concept art came out following the release. It really seems that this is something that's going to be common these days following effects-heavy movies like this. Anyway, this is about 2014 and it features Margot Robbie as the Major. What's weird is that they've gone for a wholly artificial look for her, as well as nixing the bob haircut...

Linked for non-nipple robot titty http://i.imgur.com/ctWST8G.jpg http://i.imgur.com/SOuPitB.jpg

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

In the pre-release period for GitS17, whenever I read someone worrying that it would "ruin GitS," I always thought "Eh, no way it's worse than Arise." Like, even if a franchise could be "ruined" by a bad installment, Arise already dragged it through the mud of mediocrity.

This is exactly how I felt, and I feel like 2017 is not worse than Arise. It might be as bad. It might be worse overall than the very best parts of Arise, but the worst of Arise was so bad it drug down its good parts. Meh.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I quite like 17, but Arise is pure torture.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Snak posted:

This is exactly how I felt, and I feel like 2017 is not worse than Arise. It might be as bad. It might be worse overall than the very best parts of Arise, but the worst of Arise was so bad it drug down its good parts. Meh.

Can you give an example or two of the really bad parts? It sounds interesting haha

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And like, I'm probably being unfair to Arise. I have kinda gotta carried away making GBS threads on it, when most of what pissed me off about it was the same kind of complaints I have abiut 2017. But for some reason I still like 2017 a lot more.

Beat Takeshi helps a lot. He lends some real screen presence to the movie.

edit:

Alan_Shore posted:

Can you give an example or two of the really bad parts? It sounds interesting haha

Sure. The thing is, it's not interesting. The biggest, most offensive problem with it is that the Major sucks. It's an origin story of sorts for section 9, and it's about her setting it up and taking charge. Which should be awesome. But rather than being a strong and competant leader, she's a whiny brat. Like, literally, one of her big priorities for section 9 is for it to have "Top Priority!" which essentially means unlimited access/jurisdiction. Aspects of her character are taken from the manga, so it's not like they just made this up out of no where, but it's not entertaining. The action sequences are pretty decent and the visuals in general are pretty great. It's heavy on the cel shaded CGI, but in a way that looks really good.

But back to the bad stuff. None of the stories they do are interesting at all. The series was originally released as four "Borders" (I don't know why they're called this. I don't think anyone does). Each one is like an hour long. None of them are particularly interesting, they do they usual visually quotes of the movie, you get some rehashing of stuff from the movie and vaguely from SAC, but it's the least deep it's ever been while pretending to be profound. They drop bombs like "The Major was still in the womb when her mom died and they could only save her brain so she's been full prosthetic since she was a fetus!!!" and also she used to be a terrorist at some point? Possibly undercover but kinda not really? They never really do much with this story, it's just kinda subplot that's supposed to wow us. In one episode she has a boyfriend who turns out to be evil and puts bombs in her legs. Not joking.

In the final episode, they have this wacky wizard of oz motif, where they are trying to some some artsy thematic poo poo, but it's really forced and not good at all. Like, there's a tin man android and a scare crow android and it's all like, supposed to be this artsy tragic thing but it's just dumb.

And, to make matters worse, then later recut the series into something called Arise: Alternative Architecture, which was literally just cutting the 4 borders into 8 episodes AND THEN CHANGING THE ORDER SO THEY MAKE NO SENSE. And then finally adding 2 more episodes that were new content not from the original borders, but no airing them in north america and then having them be a crucial lead up to the creatively title The New Movie.

Like, go ahead and watch it once. See for yourself. Before the 2017 movie came out, it was easily the shallowest and lamest GitS, but I feel like I have to revisit it since I've liked 2017 so much and been so lenient on it for some of the same poo poo. And I didn't really start hating Arise until the last episode, which was when it became clear that it wasn't getting any better and I could stop giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 7, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

17 has the strength of portraying a world you want to see more of and get lost in, many of the characters are portrayed flawlessly, and the visual language is sharp. That can all compensate for quite a few narrative shortcomings.

Arise is just kind of dull across the board. The setting is a barely defined city, the stories move at a glacial pace, the characters are flat. Even Batou lacks any charisma, that guy made it through every other iteration just fine! I'm not even sure what the high points would have been?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

17 has the strength of portraying a world you want to see more of and get lost in, many of the characters are portrayed flawlessly, and the visual language is sharp. That can all compensate for quite a few narrative shortcomings.

Arise is just kind of dull across the board. The setting is a barely defined city, the stories move at a glacial pace, the characters are flat. Even Batou lacks any charisma, that guy made it through every other iteration just fine! I'm not even sure what the high points would have been?

Some of the action scenes are pretty good. I don't know. It's not good. It's grating in a way that 17 isn't. And like, it's all just wasted potential. When you watch the first border (god, I hate that they are called that), you come away thinking "okay, I'm not sold yet, but this has potential, they are putting the pieces together..." no they aren't. There's a Logicoma, which is alike a cute Tachicoma precursor, but its earliest scenes are its best ones in the show. It doesn't ever turn into a character or get used well like the Tachicomas do. Like when it gets introduced and says dumb cute stuff? That's the best it ever is. When Batou show's up and he's kind of a dumb jock? Yeah, that's his character. It just never goes anywhere with the characters and the plots are just vague thematic rehashes of things that were done way better in way more interesting ways in other versions of GitS.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bugblatter posted:

Going back a little, but regarded where GitS17 is located:

As someone who's lived in East Asia for several years, spent a lot of time in HK and a fair bit of time in different parts of Japan, it's really hard for me not to think of the city as Hong Kong and harder to think of it as Japan. Aside from a lot of notable landmarks being represented, and the distinctive skyline and harbor views being prominently displayed, there's a lot of little cultural things that are just culturally distinctive to Hong Kong, or distinctively not Japanese. The two most prominent being the graveyard and street signage. The iconic HK style graveyard could be a limitation of shooting in Hong Kong, but the signage leaning heavily toward chinese characters, Korean, and English with almost no Japanese, like in HK, as opposed to being primarily Japanese and Chinese forms as in Japan is an odd choice.

I've never even been to HK and yet it looked distinctly HK, the skyline and in particular the graveyard I've seen in various movies or TV over the years and the whole thing just screamed "THIS IS HONG KONG".

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Watch it last night, I am a superfan of Gits for a long time and all I knew going in was 1) general opinion is seemingly unfavourable 2) the white washing poo poo (which I completely disagree with considering how the property works but I skimmed last few pages and I ain't even gonna bother going into detail with that).

Liked it! Bits they changed for western audience I thought was done fairly smartly, went in a friend who knows jack poo poo about any of the franchise and he liked it at the end as well. Wound up watching a few episodes of standalone complex afterwards as he was interested, although I had to explain she starts wearing pants later in the series :downs:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snak posted:

And like, I'm probably being unfair to Arise. I have kinda gotta carried away making GBS threads on it, when most of what pissed me off about it was the same kind of complaints I have abiut 2017. But for some reason I still like 2017 a lot more.

Beat Takeshi helps a lot. He lends some real screen presence to the movie.

edit:

Sure. The thing is, it's not interesting. The biggest, most offensive problem with it is that the Major sucks. It's an origin story of sorts for section 9, and it's about her setting it up and taking charge. Which should be awesome. But rather than being a strong and competant leader, she's a whiny brat. Like, literally, one of her big priorities for section 9 is for it to have "Top Priority!" which essentially means unlimited access/jurisdiction. Aspects of her character are taken from the manga, so it's not like they just made this up out of no where, but it's not entertaining. The action sequences are pretty decent and the visuals in general are pretty great. It's heavy on the cel shaded CGI, but in a way that looks really good.

But back to the bad stuff. None of the stories they do are interesting at all. The series was originally released as four "Borders" (I don't know why they're called this. I don't think anyone does). Each one is like an hour long. None of them are particularly interesting, they do they usual visually quotes of the movie, you get some rehashing of stuff from the movie and vaguely from SAC, but it's the least deep it's ever been while pretending to be profound. They drop bombs like "The Major was still in the womb when her mom died and they could only save her brain so she's been full prosthetic since she was a fetus!!!" and also she used to be a terrorist at some point? Possibly undercover but kinda not really? They never really do much with this story, it's just kinda subplot that's supposed to wow us. In one episode she has a boyfriend who turns out to be evil and puts bombs in her legs. Not joking.

In the final episode, they have this wacky wizard of oz motif, where they are trying to some some artsy thematic poo poo, but it's really forced and not good at all. Like, there's a tin man android and a scare crow android and it's all like, supposed to be this artsy tragic thing but it's just dumb.

And, to make matters worse, then later recut the series into something called Arise: Alternative Architecture, which was literally just cutting the 4 borders into 8 episodes AND THEN CHANGING THE ORDER SO THEY MAKE NO SENSE. And then finally adding 2 more episodes that were new content not from the original borders, but no airing them in north america and then having them be a crucial lead up to the creatively title The New Movie.

Like, go ahead and watch it once. See for yourself. Before the 2017 movie came out, it was easily the shallowest and lamest GitS, but I feel like I have to revisit it since I've liked 2017 so much and been so lenient on it for some of the same poo poo. And I didn't really start hating Arise until the last episode, which was when it became clear that it wasn't getting any better and I could stop giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I think I had an open mind in the first episode of ARISE, but that second episode....man. First off, it introduces most of the Section 9 cast to one another, but it introduces them fighting one another in a gunbattle where Kusanagi, Saito, and I think Paz kill scores of battle buddies and comrades of Batou, Ishikawa, and Boma. While Batou getting spared by Kusanagi makes sense because they've met each other before, Ishikawa and Boma are just faces in a crowd to them and are basically not killed for the sake of plot convenience. It's not even plot armor, Saito has the drop on someone (I'd say Boma) and spares shooting them right after he ventilates the skull of his supposed comrade in the same military unit and goes "You're cool" and Boma goes "You, too" without returning fire or anything. Also, Saito turns traitor for some loving reason and Kusanagi lets him join Section 9 afterwards, with no other repercussions. Also, the conclusion of episode turns out that a supposed massacre that Batou, Ishikawa, and others in their unit had participated in under the orders of their commanding officer (whom they're trying to free from military prison), turns out that it was self-defense because Arabs will fight to the death, even the children and pregnant women. It was straight out pulled from Samuel L. Jackson-Tommy Lee Jones '90s military thriller Rules Of Engagement, where Jackson opened fire into a crowd of protesting civilians, killing and maiming dozens, but it turns out alright because they were all violent murderers, even the little girl who got crippled, because she pulled a gun on them.

It's a shame, because ARISE has some interesting ideas and characters, like the all-cyborg warfare military unit that the Major transferred from, and Kusanagi's superior, who, despite her fashion sense, was actually an interesting foil.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Squinty posted:

Casting Scarlet Johansson to deliver an antiracist message seems about as effective as spending $100m+ on an anticapitalist Hollywood blockbuster.

Who said anything about Johansson, or the casting director? I asked for you to demonstrate an understanding of antiracist politics.

As ungulateman pointed out, there's this weird thing going on where people are mixing up the artwork with the corporation that produced it. Of course the corporation is racist. But instead of fighting the corporation, people are trying to fight the artwork (which has already been released and will never go away).

In the same way: when I asked you to be leftist, you thought I was talking about the corporation?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Geishabots are "natural", whereas Mira is an unnatural outsider who does look or behave like a true Japanese. Even actress Kaori Momoi lacks the Japanese essence, does not display the correct Japanese emotions. How can she love this monster?
I do not deny myself Japanese women, SMG. But I do deny myself their essence.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I saw Scar Jo in the Shell yesterday since I didn't really care about Power Rangers as a kid.

The movie was stunning. It was great in 3D, but the entire movie resurrected my faith in CGI. Usually movies do a very sloppy job with their CGI and you can clearly tell the difference between what is real and what is the computer. I always use Jurassic Park vs Jurassic World as an example of how visuals have regressed as the amount of real-world props and setpieces fade from use as it becomes cheaper to use computer-generated environments and worlds. In Ghost in the Shell, the city does feel like it actually exists. Even the cloaking tech the characters use doesn't look bad. I haven't been this impressed by CGI and special effects in a while.

The soundtrack was essentially just GitS with more synthwave which is enough to win me over.

Finally, whitewashing. No matter how you feel about Scarlett Johansen playing Motoko Kusanagi, she's not a poor actress. She's accustomed to playing cold, emotionless characters that seem uncomfortable living in their skin (or shell in this case). Gonna get into a spoiler zone here so don't look at the black bars:
The problem isn't the fact she's not Asian, the problem is that the entire script seems to be bent around excusing the fact she isn't Asian. I get that the source material makes anything about Motoko Kusanagi up in the air but let's be real here. Taking an Asian girl and putting her brain into a white cyborg body as your major plot point isn't going to make anyone less angry, it just makes it look like you're going through leaps and bounds to not hire a Japanese actress for the role.

Either way, the issue is that when you peel away all the style there isn't actually any substance to the movie. It's routine Hollywood tripe that doesn't ask any questions that aren't answered at the end of the movie and doesn't want to leave the audience with the uncertainty and uniqueness that drove fans to discuss the original animated movie for decades. Despite missing the entire point of the original movie, GitS: Scar Jo is desperate to at least revisit every major location in the original film despite there being little reason for those scenes. Especially the boat scene and the climax.

Ghost in the Shell is a stylish bag of empty cinematic calories in my opinion, which tragically could have been much better.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nazgul posted:

It's routine Hollywood tripe that doesn't ask any questions that aren't answered at the end of the movie

Actually, Kodiak and I have been debating whether Major's (over)identification with her programming as a military drone is a subversive tactic of appropriating the state apparatus, or merely an expression of a (renewed) commitment to fascism.

You may have noticed that there has been a lot of debate ITT over questions raised by the film.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
While this is flopping hard in the meantime, if any other goon has a ticket for this today, tomorrow, or later...here's a fun game you can play:

Count how many empty seats are in your screen just before the movie starts. The winner is the one with the fewest seats around them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress that, just count how many people are there. I saw it the night after opening night and there were maybe 20 people there. I saw it again 2-3 days later and there were like, 8.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, 8 people including me and my buddy on a Monday evening seems about right.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I was one of two people in the theater, which made me appreciate having a whole movie to myself. I just wish it was the Super Mario Bros live action movie instead. At least they had genuine Italian Americans with none of that whitewashing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Junior Jr. posted:

While this is flopping hard in the meantime, if any other goon has a ticket for this today, tomorrow, or later...here's a fun game you can play:

Count how many empty seats are in your screen just before the movie starts. The winner is the one with the fewest seats around them.

:lol:

So loving petty. Over a movie. That you have no vested iterested in.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

So loving petty. Over a movie. That you have no vested iterested in.
I'm cool with this.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Went to it today, it's pretty good, nothing too amazing but overall competent. Theater was actually full and all.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

TheCoach posted:

Went to it today, it's pretty good, nothing too amazing but overall competent. Theater was actually full and all.

Anime fans = man babies = boss baby fans = a venn diagram of GitS fans + Boss Baby fans being just one circle. They just wanted to see the other movie first!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, they had to take their kids to see boss baby first.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Snak posted:

gently caress that, just count how many people are there. I saw it the night after opening night and there were maybe 20 people there. I saw it again 2-3 days later and there were like, 8.

Yeah, but that's basically the case when I go to the movies in 2017, period. I can't remember the last time I sat in a theater that was more than half full.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The first time I saw Logan the theater was reasonably full. Get Out had a decent turnout too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The creator of Metal Gear went to see it:

http://www.glixel.com/news/hideo-kojima-on-the-philosophy-behind-ghost-in-the-shell-w475805

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hideo Kojima didn't just see it, he wrote an essay. Not a bad read.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Sounds like he would have liked the screener better.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

The first time I saw Logan the theater was reasonably full. Get Out had a decent turnout too.

When I saw Logan (second or third weekend), only one of seven or eight local showings that day had acceptable seats open, and by the time it started the theater was just about full.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I really wish I had the post that said this movie was going to be be studied years into the future by film experts who will amusingly say 'Did you know it was based on something else?'

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I really wish I had the post that said this movie was going to be be studied years into the future by film experts who will amusingly say 'Did you know it was based on something else?'

If this movie had been a bigger hit, that absolutely would have happened.

At least to stage of "7 things you didn't know about GitS" "It was a remake"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bugblatter posted:

As someone who's lived in East Asia for several years, spent a lot of time in HK and a fair bit of time in different parts of Japan, it's really hard for me not to think of the city as Hong Kong and harder to think of it as Japan. Aside from a lot of notable landmarks being represented, and the distinctive skyline and harbor views being prominently displayed, there's a lot of little cultural things that are just culturally distinctive to Hong Kong, or distinctively not Japanese. The two most prominent being the graveyard and street signage. The iconic HK style graveyard could be a limitation of shooting in Hong Kong, but the signage leaning heavily toward chinese characters, Korean, and English with almost no Japanese, like in HK, as opposed to being primarily Japanese and Chinese forms as in Japan is an odd choice.

Weirdly enough, Chinese street signs are often included in scifi movies to show how far society has changed and incorporated other cultures and to give a sense of otherness to the settings. Los Angeles in Blade Runner had a ton of chinese signs all over the place, for example.

Gibson's Neuromancer was set in Japan but the first US hardcover edition had Chinese street signs in the cover art:

I also remember an interview with some Japanese movie set designer on a scifi movie set some time in the future and he talked about deliberately changing most of the signs to Chinese so there was a subtle sense that the language had evolved and changed but I can't remember which film that was.

Also Hong Kong was the perfect setting for a futuristic dystopia: a filthy crowded city where everything was piled on top of everything else and everyone was crammed together with a suffocating claustrophobic sense caused by every available surface being covered in signs and ducts and railings and tons of hastily assembled and poorly maintained modern tech slapped on top of a crumbling ancient infrastructure. There's a whole bunch of essays about how Hong Kong's aesthetic influence ran right through the entire cyberpunk genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Snak posted:

Hideo Kojima didn't just see it, he wrote an essay. Not a bad read.

He did put Snake into nearly the same muscle suit as Kusanagi in Metal Gear Solid 1, in case anyone cares/wasn't aware.

• Locked thread