Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The second boss is such a huge step down from the first, it's crazy. (As a character and a fight)

I haven't gotten to the fight yet but I was super let down too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The second boss is such a huge step down from the first, it's crazy. (As a character and a fight)

I may have been under-leveled (15 I think), but I found him harder.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

second boss hosed me up good actually, but I didn't bring enough Revivadrins.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Unfortunately the third boss is even worse from a character perspective.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Arist posted:

The lack of a real Triangle Spread option is kind of a bummer because that was a really good way to pass on a lot of skills. I have no idea what the criteria is for getting three skill picks instead of two, for instance.

It's based on how many fusions you've gone through. You get 3 if one of the fusion members has been previously fused.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I managed to beat third palace before I had to drag my rear end back to work and while Kaneshiro was not a particularly deep character, his boss fight was pretty great. Mind you, I'm not really sure why he had a set of cognitive representations of his goons about if they apparently can't handle what a fly guy he is.

That said, is his shadows appearance out of boss mode suppose to be a reference to something?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
On the plus side everything regarding the second boss has felt like watching a Lupin the 3rd episode

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Is there a way to get low level shadows into negotiation? I didn't get one of the plant guys from the first palace and when I run into them in Mementos I one shot them. The lack of that guy in my demon compendium is going to bug me.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I feel like a big part of the problem with the third palace is that it just doesn't really tie into Makoto's story particularly well, and so in the end it just feels kinda fillery. Also you barely interact with your target, which even Ryuji complains about. Great music, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

HMS Beagle posted:

Is there a way to get low level shadows into negotiation? I didn't get one of the plant guys from the first palace and when I run into them in Mementos I one shot them. The lack of that guy in my demon compendium is going to bug me.

Can you fuse other low level dudes to get it?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

Can you fuse other low level dudes to get it?

Now that you mention I'm sure I can. Thanks.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

HMS Beagle posted:

You can hit their weak points with a low level persona. Also the moon confidant eventually lets you just go directly into negotiations

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Almost all Palace themes own, but Price is amazing. It's not quite as good as Whims of Fate but it's very, very close.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I reached level 10 in Ryugi's link before downing all of palace 3. Is there any way I can go back to the pirate look? Rocker monkey is utter trash next to how cool Kidd was.

I downed all of palace 3 in one shot but I wound up basically using all of my healing items and sp items. I kept thinking "It's just a little further, I'm sure. Keep going just a liiittle further." and by the time I was done all five combatants were out of SP. On the boss itself I was told I could throw a item to distract him so figured whatever I'd use a balm of life- only to be unable to throw it. Was I supposed to keep one of the treasures I got from the map to toss :v:?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm a dad

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Is there a way to tell how much SP auto-heal is going to take, or is the answer "Don't use auto-heal"?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ross Perowned posted:

Is there a way to tell how much SP auto-heal is going to take, or is the answer "Don't use auto-heal"?

If you are pinching pennies for every SP you can then it is probably better to do it manually, otherwise it seems to be relatively efficient with the heals. That being said it does heal to full so it is more than happy to blow a full heal on 1hp damage.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ross Perowned posted:

The answer is Do Use Autoheal. It wont take that much SP every time you do it, even 4 dias is just 16sp. Two medias is also 16. The autoheal spreads out the SP hit across all your healers instead of dumping it all on Morgana like I would if I were doing it manually.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Dragonatrix posted:

Almost all Palace themes own, but Price is amazing. It's not quite as good as Whims of Fate but it's very, very close.

Palace #4's music is my favorite at this time, which annoyingly has a bit of a spoilery title. It's way too good though.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I havent heard any walkin' around music better than Heartbreak, Heartbreak yet unfortunately

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Meme Emulator posted:

I havent heard any walkin' around music better than Heartbreak, Heartbreak yet unfortunately

Beneath the Mask is easily as good :colbert:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

I'm really starting to dig the night music, but it your're right it really isn't Heartbreak, Heartbreak.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Captain Oblivious posted:

Beneath the Mask is easily as good :colbert:

Actually I prefer Beneath the Mask to Heartbreak, Heartbreak

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 7, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Heartbeat, Heartbreak is great, but Beneath The Mask easily beats it

Looking forward to see if there are dungeon themes better than Heaven tho

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Been bingeing for 4 days straight on this game, I love it.

Slightly concerned about my social stats though, especially as I want to kiss Makoto. Got rank 4 in knowledge (the day after the exams lol) and 3 in everything else in early July. Am I on track here or lagging behind?

Also, I'm only rank 3 confidants with Sojiro. I'm brewing coffee almost every day when he's at home but he just doesn't want to advance our Slink rating. Is he supposed to be really hard to get up all the time or only this specific level here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Been bingeing for 4 days straight on this game, I love it.

Slightly concerned about my social stats though, especially as I want to kiss Makoto. Got rank 4 in knowledge (the day after the exams lol) and 3 in everything else in early July. Am I on track here or lagging behind?

Also, I'm only rank 3 confidants with Sojiro. I'm brewing coffee almost every day when he's at home but he just doesn't want to advance our Slink rating. Is he supposed to be really hard to get up all the time or only this specific level here?

Sojiro takes a long time and is also gated by plot.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Afiak you need to brew coffee while having a Hierophant persona and then you hang out with him when you feel your bond will grow also have a matching persona.

That's how the guide is telling me to do it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm a few days away from 7/7 and it's becoming clear that there's nothing actually special about that day and it's just a arbitrary cut off point from Sega/Atlus.

Kinda thankful but still makes me question why that date was chosen assuming nothing does happen. This deadline goes past it and all.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
How do you get into this locked door on the first floor of the first dungeon? It's not marked out with a red x

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Relin posted:

How do you get into this locked door on the first floor of the first dungeon? It's not marked out with a red x

If it's one of those doors with a bar across it, you need to open it from the other side.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not yet at the plot gate I think. Just takes ages to get him to open up to me?

On another note, do surplus friendship points "spill over" into the next rank, if that makes sense? I've been wondering this since persona 3 but Atlus is obtuse with this poo poo. For example, if I'm ready to rank up with Ryuji, and he calls me on Saturday to hang out on Sunday, is that time and those points wasted? Or will they add up to let me get to the rank after that faster, as if I'd done it in the correct order?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Meme Emulator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rrDn52dGgc

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Sojiro's rank 4 is gated to after the fourth dungeon for plot reasons.

Also he's probably the best character in the game now that I'm past that point. It contextualizes a hell of a lot of the early game once you find out who he kept ditching you for.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Sojiro started going home when I made coffee instead of coming back to taste it, and I had to do a normal hang out with him to get the last points needed for him to rank up the next night.
Don't know if there's something like you only get points from coffee so many times, if it just requires you to spend time at least once before the rank increase one, or if I had just been unlucky with some kind of rng or scheduling.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Got the game Tuesday and slowly working my way through it. Thoughts so far without reading all this thread because risk of ~spoilers!~

At 5/29 so far

It's definitely giving me that Persona feeling. As in I played for ten hours and hadn't even finished the first dungeon by that point

Speaking of the first dungeon and its boss, wow, they went out of their way! to make him a truly loving terrible piece of poo poo! That said, at least he had a much stronger narrative arc than the next guy, who I'm not as invested in, nor with the party member introduced

English voices are fine, SaKAmoto aside.

Morgana is like they replaced everything obnoxious about Teddie with pure smart-alecyness, I like him.

Igor: I was disturbed by the change in voice, but thrilled that we got a S-Link (not calling them the other thing) with him. As in excited beyond belief. That said I'm quietly speculating that the twist is this is not the real Igor

In the opening section when the butterfly flew past I got excited because that voice sounded a lot like Margaret. As of right now I'm just convinced that Caroline and Justine's voices sound a lot like Margaret and there's no connection

RE: Sojiro's voice actor, after hearing it spent ages looking up who it was because I was sure I recognised it, turns out it's the guy who was the Narrator in Catherine, which makes me happy that alcohol trivia has been replaced with coffee trivia

Overall? Enjoying the game a hell of a lot

Now if only I could get screenshots or stream it to my friends. Does anyone know if Twitch can detect what game is being played and rat on me? My stream is an unlisted one that Atlus is unlikely to just find.

EDIT: Roughest point? Dying like five times in a row to Angels and Mahama the first time they show up. Took a while to remember that going in with Succubus, which is weak to Light, is probably a bad idea

geri_khan fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 7, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

geri_khan posted:

Got the game Tuesday and slowly working my way through it. Thoughts so far without reading all this thread because risk of ~spoilers!~

At 5/29 so far

It's definitely giving me that Persona feeling. As in I played for ten hours and hadn't even finished the first dungeon by that point

Speaking of the first dungeon and its boss, wow, they went out of their way! to make him a truly loving terrible piece of poo poo! That said, at least he had a much stronger narrative arc than the next guy, who I'm not as invested in, nor with the party member introduced

English voices are fine, SaKAmoto aside.

Igor: I was disturbed by the change in voice, but thrilled that we got a S-Link (not calling them the other thing) with him. As in excited beyond belief. That said I'm quietly speculating that the twist is this is not the real Igor

In the opening section when the butterfly flew past I got excited because that voice sounded a lot like Margaret. As of right now I'm just convinced that Caroline and Justine's voices sound a lot like Margaret and there's no connection

RE: Sojiro's voice actor, after hearing it spent ages looking up who it was because I was sure I recognised it, turns out it's the guy who was the Narrator in Catherine, which makes me happy that alcohol trivia has been replaced with coffee trivia

Overall? Enjoying the game a hell of a lot

Now if only I could get screenshots or stream it to my friends. Does anyone know if Twitch can detect what game is being played and rat on me? My stream is an unlisted one that Atlus is unlikely to just find.

If your stream is unlisted you're probably fine. I haven't even heard of Atlus doing strikes against people who have streamed past 7/7 yet but who knows?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I saw someone streaming December but dunno if anything happened to them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Generally someone needs to report you to Twitch for a violation so if your audience is small you should be ok.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Deltasquid posted:

I'm not yet at the plot gate I think. Just takes ages to get him to open up to me?

On another note, do surplus friendship points "spill over" into the next rank, if that makes sense? I've been wondering this since persona 3 but Atlus is obtuse with this poo poo. For example, if I'm ready to rank up with Ryuji, and he calls me on Saturday to hang out on Sunday, is that time and those points wasted? Or will they add up to let me get to the rank after that faster, as if I'd done it in the correct order?

I've been wondering the same thing. But it's probably best to err on the side of caution and assume that they don't spill over, just in case.

Palace 4 beaten and now I realize I have a LOT of completely free days in my future! Time to up them S.Links, been neglecting them too much lately. I really wanna go into Mementos to get Teach up but I wanna accumulate AT LEAST 3 targets before going in again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harlock posted:

That's how the guide is telling me to do it

I'm debating restarting and following the guide since I've never 100% a Persona game and I've never replayed one after my initial playthrough, which difficulty are you playing on?