Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Magus42 posted:

Doesn't Sudden Ignition just allow two ignites, while still requiring two hits?

quote:

With at least 40 Dexterity in Radius, Burning Arrow can inflict an additional Ignite on an Enemy

Doesnt specifically state it has to be different hits, but is very likely to be the case.
poo poo wording imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just managed to beat merciless kaom after dying a million times and out of attrition (and most damage done by my chaos golem while I was dead)

not really looking forward to trying to beat merciless malachai with exactly the same tactic of just attritioning him to death, that will probably take me more than one hour

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Luisfe posted:

Just managed to beat merciless kaom after dying a million times and out of attrition (and most damage done by my chaos golem while I was dead)

not really looking forward to trying to beat merciless malachai with exactly the same tactic of just attritioning him to death, that will probably take me more than one hour

Just skip it until you're strong enough to faceroll him.

There's no worthwhile quest reward for act 4 merciless after the skill point in the mines, so after you've got that you might as well do dried lake/maps and come back to finish act 4 much later to tick off the challenge.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 7, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Luisfe posted:

The scaling for Act 4 of Merciless is busted, you are not meant to even attempt progress through it as the first thing you do once you arrive in Highgate.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
punking at the end of the league on malachai and his crew feels cathartic

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Question to the HOWA ST players out there. Is the single 0.4% mana leech node in that leech cluster near the bottom center the only mana leech passive that is typically taken? I'm having issues keeping mana up, especially when there isn't a big swath of enemies to throw at.

I'm only mid-50s and using a tabula to 6L my ST so maybe this is something that will take care of itself as I level up and get more int/mana.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Question to the HOWA ST players out there. Is the single 0.4% mana leech node in that leech cluster near the bottom center the only mana leech passive that is typically taken? I'm having issues keeping mana up, especially when there isn't a big swath of enemies to throw at.

I'm only mid-50s and using a tabula to 6L my ST so maybe this is something that will take care of itself as I level up and get more int/mana.

You'll get enough max mana and admage to outleech everything and typically you don't have a 6l at the point you're at.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The amount you'll leech from that node will scale as you deal more damage, while the mana cost is gonna stay relatively static. It'll get better and you'll not really be thinking about mana in 15 levels

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
It's not uncommon to need mana flasks until level 70ish where your DPS starts to pick up. Alternatively you could also pick up some lovely boots with the "x% leech if you have killed recently" enchant.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I grabbed the Spirit Void node point (the .8% mana leech) node for leveling. Just like Hooplah said, mana leeching is becoming less and less of an issue. However, I'm holding onto it because running purity of elements and wrath leaves me with about 150 mana. Will swap it out as ES goes up.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fixit posted:

I grabbed the Spirit Void node point (the .8% mana leech) node for leveling. Just like Hooplah said, mana leeching is becoming less and less of an issue. However, I'm holding onto it because running purity of elements and wrath leaves me with about 150 mana. Will swap it out as ES goes up.

If you're running purity instead of discipline that seems like a big mistake.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

If you're running purity instead of discipline that seems like a big mistake.

Don't I want max res versus more ES?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Purity of elements doesn't increase max res though?

e: or you mean you wouldn't have max resists without it. You should fix your gear if that's the case.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Purity of elements gives resists, not max resists. You should be getting to elemental resistance cap from gear alone. ES should be as high as you can possibly get it without sacrificing too much else. I'm not aware of any ES builds that would run purity over discipline.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

How about ES builds that just got to merciless or early endgame and don't have fixed resists yet? I've seen that recommended in this thread in the last few days! Sounds like that's where homeboy's at.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pork never goes bad posted:

How about ES builds that just got to merciless or early endgame and don't have fixed resists yet? I've seen that recommended in this thread in the last few days! Sounds like that's where homeboy's at.
Fix the resists.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
fixing your resists for dried lake viability will cost you all of 5c

just do it

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I bought the staves for Vinktar Square for ~12c each (technically one was 11 and one was 13) a couple days ago, just to get the map completion/being able to toss a sextant on it for Shaped Courtyard, at the time the cheapest Vinktars on poe.trade were over 50c and my garbage +damage to spells version sold for 58c, so if I could actually have been bothered sitting in poe.trade buying Agnerods over and over for hours I could have made a ton of profit running that poo poo.

Looks like they're still 12c or cheaper and the worst Vinktar still sells for 50c so.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I don't think you guys remember how difficult this game is for most people their first few playthroughs. Yes, I get that you should buy stuff to fix resists, but Fixit is on HOWA and needs an extra mana leech node... They probably just aren't leveled yet! I'm not saying it's a long term solution, but I don't feel like the responses here bothered to be helpful to a new player.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fix the resists.

Not sure how to fix the resists since I am on a budget. Ended up making some good deals on boots and helmet last night while essence crafting some gloves. Need to get Haku to lvl 7 so I can recraft some mods I put on items.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I don't think you guys remember how difficult this game is for most people their first few playthroughs. Yes, I get that you should buy stuff to fix resists, but Fixit is on HOWA and needs an extra mana leech node... They probably just aren't leveled yet! I'm not saying it's a long term solution, but I don't feel like the responses here bothered to be helpful to a new player.
I am acutely aware of it, since I sometimes play the game with friends who have barely spent any time in the game. From my perspective, fixing resists is literally a few hour affair on Dried Lake. ES or life, you can buy a full set of rare armor/jewellry to solve any resistance issues at an average cost of 1 chaos per piece at most, and the same gear can carry you at least until yellow maps.

Fixit posted:

Not sure how to fix the resists since I am on a budget. Ended up making some good deals on boots and helmet last night while essence crafting some gloves. Need to get Haku to lvl 7 so I can recraft some mods I put on items.
What's your character profile page, and league/budget?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

At least on softcore, extra ES would likely give far more benefit than capped resists, imo. At least until you start mapping. Certainly I don't bother capping resists until I hit dried lake, sometimes I even start low-tier mapping without. Provided you have some resists you should be alright. I would run discipline over purity in that situation. But then I am still pretty bad at this game despite >1000 hours played.

e: ^^ pretty sure this is him: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/scaryguy101/characters

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I am acutely aware of it, since I sometimes play the game with friends who have barely spent any time in the game. From my perspective, fixing resists is literally a few hour affair on Dried Lake. ES or life, you can buy a full set of rare armor/jewellry to solve any resistance issues at an average cost of 1 chaos per piece at most, and the same gear can carry you at least until yellow maps.
What's your character profile page, and league/budget?

I posted the profile one page back. I'm in LSC and I am sitting at 40c of currency. Trying to just level the HOWA so can run some better maps.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Oh I feel like I'm not giving very good advice - if you're essence crafting, fix your loving resists and run disc. Cinci's right.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fixit posted:

I posted the profile one page back. I'm in LSC and I am sitting at 40c of currency. Trying to just level the HOWA so can run some better maps.

Assuming KimberlyHeart is the character, buy any ring from this list (30 lightning resistance, 32 fire resistance, 23 intelligence (or more of either)) and replace Phoenix Hold Topaz Ring with it. Your resistances will be capped then.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Also if you're HOWA running wise oak is a pretty good idea anyways (extra penetration is always nice, just keep your lightning resistance higher), and has the added benefit of giving you a bunch of resists while it's up. Was a nice stop gap for me when I was trying to push through the 60's til i could wear good CI gear and was too lazy to fix my resists.

e. I also took a slightly different path down towards unwavering stance (i assume that's where you're heading) so that i could grab the primeval force node on the way. Think i dropped a jewel slot or two (I know i'm only running two fertile minds for example) but it's a nice node.

Getting someone to drag you through merciless and uber lab so you can go back to ignoring status ailments and get all the juicy phasing goodness will make you a lot less squishy too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

..btt posted:

At least on softcore, extra ES would likely give far more benefit than capped resists, imo. At least until you start mapping. Certainly I don't bother capping resists until I hit dried lake, sometimes I even start low-tier mapping without. Provided you have some resists you should be alright. I would run discipline over purity in that situation. But then I am still pretty bad at this game despite >1000 hours played.

e: ^^ pretty sure this is him: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/scaryguy101/characters

Resists are pretty important to be capped or nearly capped if you don't want surprise deaths periodically. But if you don't care then it's fine.

A player with 50% Cold resist will take twice as much damage from cold, compared to a player with 75% cold resist. So against cold enemies, it's like having twice as much health or energy shield buffer, plus your regen/leech is twice as effective.

It's one thing if you're at 65-70%, but you don't want to be down at 40-50% resist if you are being annoyed at how much you're dying.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for the ring suggestions. Will buy one tonight once I am home.

Mr. Despair posted:

Also if you're HOWA running wise oak is a pretty good idea anyways (extra penetration is always nice, just keep your lightning resistance higher), and has the added benefit of giving you a bunch of resists while it's up. Was a nice stop gap for me when I was trying to push through the 60's til i could wear good CI gear and was too lazy to fix my resists.

e. I also took a slightly different path down towards unwavering stance (i assume that's where you're heading) so that i could grab the primeval force node on the way. Think i dropped a jewel slot or two (I know i'm only running two fertile minds for example) but it's a nice node.

Getting someone to drag you through merciless and uber lab so you can go back to ignoring status ailments and get all the juicy phasing goodness will make you a lot less squishy too.

That looks like a nice node (primeval force). Will see if I can go around and pick it up. Was trying to make as best of use of fertile mind as I can.

For uber lab I cannot find one trial. It is the top right one. Are they random or appear on specific maps?

e: at what point should I start getting ES nodes at the top? Getting unwavering stance and primeval force will take a bit of points.

Fixit fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 7, 2017

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Join Global 820 and wait for a free one

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fixit posted:

Thanks for the ring suggestions. Will buy one tonight once I am home.

That looks like a nice node (primeval force). Will see if I can go around and pick it up. Was trying to make as best of use of fertile mind as I can.

For uber lab I cannot find one trial. It is the top right one. Are they random or appear on specific maps?

e: at what point should I start getting ES nodes at the top? Getting unwavering stance and primeval force will take a bit of points.

Completely random. Ask in guild chat or just have /global 820 up. People will announce when they have trials up that they have already completed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

They're random, ask in guild chat for people to keep an eye out for the one you need and you should get it fast enough.

Also you can take a look at my howa for this league here https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/MrDespair/characters?characterName=run_the_exalts_Mrd

I have a decent amount of resists on the tree so that I could slack off with gear more (I have a set of non-MF gear to throw on when i'm doing shaper/uber, but you can map up to t16's with biscos/sadima's no problem)

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

They're random, ask in guild chat for people to keep an eye out for the one you need and you should get it fast enough.

Also you can take a look at my howa for this league here https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/MrDespair/characters?characterName=run_the_exalts_Mrd

I have a decent amount of resists on the tree so that I could slack off with gear more (I have a set of non-MF gear to throw on when i'm doing shaper/uber, but you can map up to t16's with biscos/sadima's no problem)

So I should get rid of Force of Nature node in exchange for primeval force node it seems.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

For any newish players to the game looking for a quality build to get you into maps easily and cheaply, look on YouTube for Mathilification's mortem morsu spectral throw build. Made one ​a couple days ago and it got me to level 70 faster than any build I've ever made (though I did have the benefit of having basically all the twinking gear to help with the first 34 levels). The weapon is 1c, a quality spectral throw and added chaos gem are a bit more but you can get by with non-quality versions if you're poor, a 5l chest is a chaos or two in LSC, and that's basically all that's required.

It's absolutely absurd, the moreso with a 6l (I'm using Faster Proj as my 6th but ppad would work too). You're a shotgunning murder machine. If you're having mana issues use blasphemy - poacher's mark until you get enough mana leech from tree + gear and then you can switch to projectile weakness, which I did at Merciless Dry Lake.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 7, 2017

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

OH BOY one of you is in trouble. I've gotten a FORUMS MESSAGE REPORT of your BAD BEHAVIOR fmammal.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Skyl3lazer posted:

OH BOY one of you is in trouble. I've gotten a FORUMS MESSAGE REPORT of your BAD BEHAVIOR fmammal.

Did you call the SA cops on him

Hauki
May 11, 2010

lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

the pic he posted

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
e:fb

Hauki
May 11, 2010

but do you have the well education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013