Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Nah in TOS they all had individual hairstyles and even had clothes that didn't look like like the same drab outfit

It was halfway through next gen that they were like "whatever, put a spock wig on everyone, or else our dumb fans will scratch their heads and be like 'hey who are those people with pointy ears, are they elves or something, I can't tell what they're supposed to be if they all don't cut their hair exactly like spock.' "

The eyebrow ridges were real dumb though.

I dunno, I always figured it was someone going "You know, the super militaristic, paranoid police state we have here would probably dress their military like something resembling a military rather than a runway show," fashion sense notwithstanding.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's the product of it;s times, to be sure, but Quark was a surprisingly good show for a parody.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Nah in TOS they all had individual hairstyles and even had clothes that didn't look like like the same drab outfit

It was halfway through next gen that they were like "whatever, put a spock wig on everyone, or else our dumb fans will scratch their heads and be like 'hey who are those people with pointy ears, are they elves or something, I can't tell what they're supposed to be if they all don't cut their hair exactly like spock.' "

The eyebrow ridges were real dumb though.

It's the wigs. Wigs are expensive. More elaborate wigs are more expensive. TOS had a pretty solid wig game (except when it didn't), but could also avoid the problem a lot of the time by letting its alien actors use their own hair (often with extensions for the women). TNG aliens tended to have more makeup and couldn't retain their natural hairlines, which made wigs mandatory. Some combination of time/budget constraints and limited creativity meant that they tended to use stock looks for various species, so things got pretty samey. The outfits follow a similar pattern. If you look closely, a lot of the TOS aliens were wearing repurposed wardrobe elements from other productions or something they bought off the rack somewhere.
The other issue is plain old forehead alien syndrome. If all the aliens are supposed to look like they're completely inhuman, but still be played by humans with a bit of latex on their faces, then wardrobe and haircut matter. 60s Scifi conventions had it that it was fine for aliens to basically look like normal people but with (maybe) some funny eyebrows or pointy ears, and TNG did that as much as they felt they could get away with, but stuff like Star Wars had raised the bar for what on-screen aliens should look like, so they had to adapt. First season TNG gave us the Planet of the Aryans, a planet where women were somewhat tall, and a planet where everyone was an African stereotype and I think the fact that all of those episodes are rancid poo poo helped scare them off the human aliens concept for good. There's still a few later examples, like the planet where James Cromwell has a mustache or the one with the definitely not suicide bombers, but by middle TNG, they'd pretty much settled on the notion that every "alien" character should be visually distinct from the humans and, preferably, each other (which is probably where the stupid Romulan forehead ridges come from).

This creates a bit of a problem though when all you have to work with is a bunch of latex molds, upholstery fabric, and bad wigs, so I would not be surprised if someone said, "you know, if we come up with a uniform of sorts for each alien race and mostly stick with it, we can can make things much easier for makeup and wardrobe while still letting viewers tell them all apart." Yeah, it's a shortcut, but when you have Klingon costumes that require crazy padding and Cardassian costumes that have to fit the neck ridges and Ferengi costumes where you have to cover up the back of their heads, a certain uniformity must have been a lifesaver. I agree that they probably should have tried a bit harder with the Romulans though. Their 80s power suits are ridiculous.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's me, I'm the guy who likes the weird flak jackets TNG Romulans have.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I dig the romulan jackets, too. They're like a hamfisted way of making the military look physically imposing which a nincompoop in their world could have actually decided on, but I'm torn on the civvie romulans also having huge shoulder pads. That part is weird.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The forehead ridges on Romulans is stupid because there's a few instances in TNG onwards where they treat Romulans as being visually indistinguishable from Vulcans. There was one episode where a Romulan spy was posing as a Vulcan diplomat for instance. Although I guess that could be handwaved by saying she got plastic surgery.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Total reconstructive body surgery is a screen wipe away in the TNG era, so it's not that crazy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I dig the romulan jackets, too. They're like a hamfisted way of making the military look physically imposing which a nincompoop in their world could have actually decided on, but I'm torn on the civvie romulans also having huge shoulder pads. That part is weird.

I figure Romulans have to wear heavy padding all the time because, having emigrated from Vulcan to an apparently temperate world, they're always really bloody cold...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Axanar fell well short of its Indiegogo fundraising goal, meaning they can't pay rent at their studio. They're moving out by the end of the month and offering refunds to anyone who wants one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think pretty much all of the costuming of aliens outside of Klingons in TNG-onward is boring to terrible. The future in TNG seems really anti-septic and fairly unimaginative in its visual design, and I'm surprised at how much money they spent on episodes, because I don't think that spending translated well in most cases.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Surely they could have made two 15 minute fan films by now

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

LOL after all this they haven't even made any product whatsoever

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Flesh Croissant posted:

I'm gonna make this my avatar but am too stunted by autialcoism (autistic alcoholism) to think of a clever tag to put under it. Could you smartbrain goons help me out with a great tagline?

Thanks!

Were you looking for a Troi loves chocolate joke?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

LOL after all this they haven't even made any product whatsoever

Yep. $1.4 million spent with nothing to show for it besides getting kicked out of their studio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That refund is only for the latest indiegogo?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

That refund is only for the latest indiegogo?

Correct.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I found it, the photo that explains all of TNG:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aVxNH6iN9I

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I keep telling you people it's because shoulderpads are hot

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zurui posted:

And yet not a single alien race or Starfleet colony with neo-denim outfits.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zurui posted:

Goddamn, the First Contact sets are ugly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zurui posted:

I'm glad the maximum amount of denim has been decreased since the 90s. Also Franks dressed like every rich hollywood guy in the 90s.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Goddamn, the First Contact sets are ugly.

The Enterprise E was so cool when I was 9 but each year after that it gets a little less cool and a little more retarded until you realize that the door labels are this impossible to read highly reflective glossy gold colour and there are random waist-high fences in the middle of the massive corridors that are covered in superfluous vac-formed greeblies and half the sets after that are actually just Voyager spraypainted beige and dark grey

Almost everything about the E misses the point of what made the most thoughtful parts of the D's interior design work, although honestly that started when they redressed all those sets for Voyager in the first place

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

Almost everything about the E misses the point of what made the most thoughtful parts of the D's interior design work, although honestly that started when they redressed all those sets for Voyager in the first place

The exterior is John Eaves going all "yo dawg I heard u like sharp angles so I put some angles on your angles" and I have no idea what the gently caress Zimmerman was going for with the interior design (especially the bridge, the layout of which is nonsensical).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been rewatching TNG on Netflix and I have a question.

When am I supposed to start hating Wesley?

Don't get me wrong. He's obnoxious and not at all well written. But in those same seasons that the worst of him is in, so is everyone who isn't Data. Like. I don't see how "the early seasons sucked" clusters into "Wesley sucks". The whole first season and a half is the worst of Roddenberry-style excesses in overdrive. By season 3, he's no more or less annoying than anyone else on the show, which is when things started evening out across the board for everybody.

Also Picard is a LOT more unlikable in this time period. Like to the point it stood out to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wesley becomes tolerable exactly the moment he leaves, which isn't some sick "he's gone so he's good now ha ha!" joke, I mean he actually becomes a person in his final two episodes and then does a runner never to be seen again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wesley stops sucking out loud about the minute they put him in an actual uniform.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

The exterior is John Eaves going all "yo dawg I heard u like sharp angles so I put some angles on your angles" and I have no idea what the gently caress Zimmerman was going for with the interior design (especially the bridge, the layout of which is nonsensical).

I swear that bridge is just chunks of various other bridges stapled together

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

I swear that bridge is just chunks of various other bridges stapled together

It totally does.

It's like the Defiant, Voyager and Excelsior (from TSFS) bridges all got really drunk and had a massive orgy, and then in the morning everyone's incredibly hung over with headaches from hell, and there's a baby bridge in the corner, and everyone's saying, "It's not mine."

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a bad layout for doing actual things in combat and stuff like that, but it looks so cool that I just don't care about its usability. Something about the standalone stations looks really cool and I like its lighting in all three movies.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Those standing stations flanking the captain's chair have got to be ergonomic hell, if that one guy on the right is any indication.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Orv posted:

It's a bad layout for doing actual things in combat and stuff like that, but it looks so cool that I just don't care about its usability. Something about the standalone stations looks really cool and I like its lighting in all three movies.

It looks a lot better in Insurrection (presumably due to both Frakes maturing as a director, and Leonetti having more time to light his sets thanks to a shooting schedule that wasn't rushed to poo poo) and to an extent in Nemesis (because Jeffrey Kimball was an extraordinary cinematographer, and they also rearranged the layout to make it a bit more functional, including raising the console heights), but it's unspeakably ugly in First Contact -- which, to be fair, is a rather ugly movie in and of itself.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I quite like the E bridge, although the random pillars around the place can get out. You know, it's not a million miles from the JJprise bridge in busy design. Just over that bright colour scheme over the top and see.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Timby posted:

It looks a lot better in Insurrection (presumably due to both Frakes maturing as a director, and Leonetti having more time to light his sets thanks to a shooting schedule that wasn't rushed to poo poo) and to an extent in Nemesis (because Jeffrey Kimball was an extraordinary cinematographer, and they also rearranged the layout to make it a bit more functional, including raising the console heights), but it's unspeakably ugly in First Contact -- which, to be fair, is a rather ugly movie in and of itself.

I don't know, I know that from a lot of standpoints First Contact is an ugly movie, but I think (and to be clear I don't credit anyone with this, this is just how it shakes out) that the brutality of its lighting and its sets does a lot for the tone it's trying to reach. A tone it often doesn't, as good as The Good TNG Movie is comparatively, it still falls short in a lot of places, but I think the lighting is superb for the tone, likely almost entirely by accident.

And that is the most wanky film critic thing I will ever post, hopefully.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Has there ever been an explanation for the weird gates splitting corridors in half?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TTerrible posted:

Has there ever been an explanation for the weird gates splitting corridors in half?

Very little about the interior design of the Sovereign class makes a lick of sense.

Like having columns full of space death gas readily accessible in Main Engineering that can fracture easily and would cause everyone in the room to die a horrible melty death.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They have to go somewhere :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zimmerman did a lot of weird poo poo on the movie sets, though. The original plan for the Scimitar bridge was to have the ship's warp core right there on the goddamn bridge, until Rick Sternbach looked at the sketches and said, "Uh, what happens if there's a firefight on the bridge?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I guess he got his way by putting the giant lethal radiation waterpark right behind the bridge instead. Nemesis was all kinds of bad.