Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any idea what's up with my YouTube app? It keeps freezing on almost every video at least once, after about 20-40 seconds of playback, on my Play Store Pixel XL. The video freezes but the audio continues playing and the phone is completely responsive otherwise. Moving the seeker usually fixes it until the next video.

Tried reinstalling YouTube, clearing app data, etc. It's been a recurring issue since November, but it's beginning to wear thin. No other video player does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Any idea what's up with my YouTube app? It keeps freezing on almost every video at least once, after about 20-40 seconds of playback, on my Play Store Pixel XL. The video freezes but the audio continues playing and the phone is completely responsive otherwise. Moving the seeker usually fixes it until the next video.

Tried reinstalling YouTube, clearing app data, etc. It's been a recurring issue since November, but it's beginning to wear thin. No other video player does this.

This happens every once in a while on my Pixel too. Hasn't happened for a few days but it for sure has been a thing since I got the phone in November.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Same issue here. No idea of the cause. Happens with downloaded videos played offline, too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

incogneato posted:

Same issue here. No idea of the cause. Happens with downloaded videos played offline, too.

I get a youtube thing on my Pixel where if I switch apps and go back to youtube I never get a play button to resume the video, and I have to swipe away the app and reload it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Although I stream most of my music these days, I still have a 64gb SD card loaded with music and I need a music player that doesn't stop after every .flac file like Google Play Music.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mammal Sauce posted:

Although I stream most of my music these days, I still have a 64gb SD card loaded with music and I need a music player that doesn't stop after every .flac file like Google Play Music.

There are tons of players if you search for "folder player". Here are two good ones I know:

MortPlayer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.folderplayer It was good, but had a very busy interface and loads of menu options. Probably tweaked many times since I used it. Don't remember why I swapped to:

Rocket Player https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer.Unlocker Needs $ to play flac, but does so with aplomb. Nice interface, easy to browse by folder or by tag, feels like listening to music in the Winamp era.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
Soiled Meat

This happens on my Nexus 7 constantly with 720p 60fps videos. If I lower the resolution it works perfect and 720p non-60fps seems to work fine as well.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
That youtube thing happens on my Axon 7 as well. Just started when it got 7.1.1 but not sure if that's related

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I like to use AIMP for playing local media. Not super bloated, plays nearly anything, and I find the interface intuitive.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Shadowgate posted:

This happens on my Nexus 7 constantly with 720p 60fps videos. If I lower the resolution it works perfect and 720p non-60fps seems to work fine as well.

I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet. I've been dealing with this problem for at least a year, probably more like two.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I haven't been able to install a single thing from the Google Play Store since Nougat. Has anyone had this problem or is this just my annual gently caress you from google

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SinineSiil posted:

I'm getting a OnePlus 3 from a friend next week but its camera is busted so I'd like to replace it.
http://www.witrigs.com/oem-rear-camera-for-oneplus-3
It this fine site for replacement parts? Are the parts actually real OEM?
I also want to replace its battery but they have it sold out and others options I've found so far seemed dodgy. Any suggestions on that front?

Help?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Nexus 10 did that with 4K videos. Audio plays but video freezes. I'm glad Google hasn't bothered to fix the Youtube playback issues after all these years...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Putty posted:

I haven't been able to install a single thing from the Google Play Store since Nougat. Has anyone had this problem or is this just my annual gently caress you from google

Do you have the Axon 7? Someone earlier in the thread had this problem but it got resolved with a Play Store update. Have you tried making sure you have the latest Play Store version by checking against APK Mirror?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, at least it's not a hardware issue. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a fix.

That said, I've also noticed my Pixel XL seemingly doing random reboots? My lock screen returns to the default background, and the phone tells me I have to use my pattern and not my finger to unlock. This happens infrequently and I don't know what triggers it. It's on the order of twice a month that I notice it.

Can this cause the phone to miss an alarm?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That said, I've also noticed my Pixel XL seemingly doing random reboots? My lock screen returns to the default background, and the phone tells me I have to use my pattern and not my finger to unlock. This happens infrequently and I don't know what triggers it. It's on the order of twice a month that I notice it.

Can this cause the phone to miss an alarm?
There is a security feature in Android that requires you to enter your PIN/password once a week or so. This isn't caused by the phone rebooting and notably has a message like "Password is required for additional security" rather than "Password is required to start Android" or whatever the boot message is. Which one are you getting? The background thing sounds like it might actually be the latter anyway. Checking the system uptime in Settings -> About phone will also confirm if it rebooting.

Since Nougat apps have the ability to run basic services before the phone is unlocked/decrypted, which was mostly designed for the specific case of alarms after a reboot. Certainly Google's clock app supports it but others may vary.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Putty posted:

What phone are you using?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

LastInLine posted:

Do you have the Axon 7? Someone earlier in the thread had this problem but it got resolved with a Play Store update. Have you tried making sure you have the latest Play Store version by checking against APK Mirror?

Captain Yossarian posted:

What phone are you using?

Using Droid Turbo 2 with the latest version of Nougat. When I try to download it loops forever and eventually displays Error 495, but I've seen different errors before.

I've tried all the common solutions on the web listed on this website besides the rooting and factory reset to no result: https://www.androidpit.com/google-play-not-working

I've also installed the latest version of the Google Play Store and the latest version of Google Play Services for my phone (440 version) from APKmirror. Other things I've found suggested it may be a bug on google's part which I'm sure they are working very hard to fix r/n for their loved consumers. Think I'll either reset to Marshmallow if possible or seek another app to update my stuff.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Is the G5+ available in Canada yet? I can't find it

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
https://www.motorola.ca/products/moto-g

You can "Register for Updates"

so, no

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Dang

any other recs at that price point?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

WaveLength posted:

Dang

any other recs at that price point?

I'd say head over the border to grab one or wait, if you can.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Helter Skelter posted:

I'd say head over the border to grab one or wait, if you can.

yeah i might coordinate with my american family. Is the 4gb ram worth $70 USD more?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not just the 4gb of RAM, you double internal storage to 64gb as well.

It's still a very good deal, I think I would have rather seen them split the difference and put 3 gb on both models and call it a day though and only differentiated by storage. It would be easier recommending the base version.

That said, my N7 doesn't really have issues with kicking stuff out of memory, so 2gb is workable.

I guess it really depends on how much gaming you do.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Another consideration is that the Canadian Moto G5 will apparently have NFC whereas the US model does not.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tunga posted:

There is a security feature in Android that requires you to enter your PIN/password once a week or so. This isn't caused by the phone rebooting and notably has a message like "Password is required for additional security" rather than "Password is required to start Android" or whatever the boot message is. Which one are you getting? The background thing sounds like it might actually be the latter anyway. Checking the system uptime in Settings -> About phone will also confirm if it rebooting.

Since Nougat apps have the ability to run basic services before the phone is unlocked/decrypted, which was mostly designed for the specific case of alarms after a reboot. Certainly Google's clock app supports it but others may vary.

I've actually seen this one as well, and was going to ask about that next. If memory serves, I've been seeing the start prompt, and all my applications have to boot up again. I'll check uptime next time I notice it restarting.

Glad to know the default clock alarm won't be skipped because of this, though

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
G5+ Satnav issue, part 2:

I previously thought that going outside while on wifi, and turning on waze for navigation, was the cause of my GPS not locking on and causing waze to not know where I am.

Today I already had my wifi off when I went outside and turned on waze about 15 seconds later. It did the same thing again, no gps lock on, and was fine as soon as I restarted it, allowing me to navigate. So it seems like my g5+ is worse than my moto x when it comes to the GPS. Anyone else seeing this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I'm having a GPS issue as well - generally my location is very accurate but as soon as I walk into my office at work my location jumps several miles to the south and stays there until I leave my office.

Have I discovered a wormhole?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My pixel told me I was in the middle of the Atlantic ocean the other day.

It's possible Google's location services are acting goofy.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

It's possible Google's location services are acting goofy.
Maybe, but as soon as I get up and start walking down the hall the location snaps back to where I actually am.

Seriously Google, there's a Pokestop outside my office window. Please fix.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
GPS needs a clear view of satellites and if it can't get that then modern phones fall back to cell tower location. When you're indoors there's a very poor connection to satellites (remember trying to use old car GPS receivers indoors? they never worked unless in a window sill) so your phone is probably getting location from the closest tower.

I haven't seen any wonkiness with my G5+ GPS for what it's worth. Seems to lock on just fine and give good directions.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mod sassinator posted:

GPS needs a clear view of satellites and if it can't get that then modern phones fall back to cell tower location. When you're indoors there's a very poor connection to satellites (remember trying to use old car GPS receivers indoors? they never worked unless in a window sill) so your phone is probably getting location from the closest tower.

I have a south-facing window with a clear view of the sky. C'mon satellites.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

nimper posted:

I have a south-facing window with a clear view of the sky. C'mon satellites.

Yeah that's still not usually going to work. Those satellites are 12,000+ miles away from you and you need to lock on to the signal from three of them.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thanks Obama

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm fairly sure these are the reasons Google often asks us if we're running ultramarathons all the time

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

nimper posted:

Maybe, but as soon as I get up and start walking down the hall the location snaps back to where I actually am.

Seriously Google, there's a Pokestop outside my office window. Please fix.

It could also be a bad geolocated ip/wireless network in the office. Does it do it w/ wifi off?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

I haven't seen any wonkiness with my G5+ GPS for what it's worth. Seems to lock on just fine and give good directions.

You have it backward, phones know pretty much where they are without a GPS lock at all, both by cell tower and by wifi in the area and even then they're keeping A-GPS data up to date in the background. The only time they need to know exactly where they are and their orientation is when they need to acquire an active GPS lock and with all the other data a lock should be acquired in well under ten seconds even in poor conditions.

If you use a tool like GPS Status & Toolbox you can see it for yourself.

redreader, download that app and go to the side menu and go into Settings > Display & Tools > turn on Show time to GPS fix. Then in the side menu Manage A-GPS state and download. Close the app (swipe it away) and open it again and see time to GPS fix and how many satellites you have a fix on (bottom right under the constellation map). You should see 10+ of nearly 20 within a minute or so.

It should go without saying but in your phone's Settings, you have Location on and with High Accuracy, correct? Also check the overflow menu in that screen and make sure wifi scanning is enabled and that you keep wifi enabled all the time even when not connected. Usually when stuff like this happens it's what deong said, a bad geolocated wifi network but that will become apparent if you get a GPS lock quickly and all your services are turned on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

deong posted:

It could also be a bad geolocated ip/wireless network in the office. Does it do it w/ wifi off?

Yeah it'll be this

Note to test you'd need to turn off wifi scanning completely, this is under location, menu, scanning

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we recently went to a little village near Wales with some friends. Every time my friend turned his hotspot on to use his tablet my phone would start giving me the weather and similar for Glasgow, where he lives. Took me a couple of minutes to work out what was going on! Opening Maps got a GPS fix and immediately corrected it because GPS always overrides that data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/04/07/oneplus-silent-nougat-oneplus-2-oneplus-x-owners-pissed/

Hahahahahaha