Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sir Kodiak posted:

I get that, but imagine that episode of Voyager had started with a couple people discussing how Neelix isn't actually sentient, that the merging wasn't an accident, and that the episode didn't devote half its running time to discussing the ethics of there no longer being a Neelix but instead breezed right past it and now there was just this new character going forward.

Then that episode would be objectively correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The one big oddity in the MCU that sticks out to me is the character arc of Peter Quill, Star-Lord. He starts out as a self-centred manchild living out the fantasy of being a space adventurer, gets mocked for his pretensions... and the universe arranges it so that he gets to be a real space hero without any change or real sacrifice on his part. It's framed as a vindication of his fantasy, and that he goes around with his childhood nickname as his superhero identity presented as a heart-warming development. It's really bizarre development, and it makes the generally adequate GotG interesting, if not in a good way.

So, this didn't get any traction in BSS so you're gonna give it a shot here, huh? Good luck.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

parallelodad posted:

Then that episode would be objectively correct.

Actually, yeah, true. So, also, imagine Tuvix wasn't a way better character than the ones he replaced.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

So, this didn't get any traction in BSS so you're gonna give it a shot here, huh? Good luck.

Well, it is true. It's one of the interestingly odd parts of the MCU. They play Peter Quill as a Zapp Brannigan/Captain Qwark type character but bungle it by not going through all the way with it, leading to a very odd moral in the end.

e: Especially when Star-Lord's character in the comics was ultimately a rather adult character who desperately wanted to be a hero out of a saviour complex, but would win a bitter victory and could screw himself over in his desperation.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 7, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The extremis henchmen are also disabled war veterans, and they're depicted as actively sadistic killers engaged in a criminal conspiracy. See here, for example.

Can't watch the clip as I'm on my phone, but I don't remember anything from the movie that demonizes crippled vets more than, say, the Universal Soldiers movies do. Would you say JCVD or Dolph Lundgren are evil in those?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

Can't watch the clip as I'm on my phone, but I don't remember anything from the movie that demonizes crippled vets

The crippled war vets are presented quite literally as demonic.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 7, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

parallelodad posted:

Let me put it in words you will understand. The same way the Gogeta is neither Goku or Vegeta.

Sorry I only understand analogies in car or Star Wars EU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vision is not Jarvis in the same way Vision is neither Wonder Man nor the OG Human Torch.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The crippled war vets are presented quite literally as demonic.

I remember that. Turns out Guy Pearce made them that way.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

parallelodad posted:

I took it that Vision is not Jarvis the same way Tuvix isn't Tuvok or Neelix.

i looked up this episode and, wow, Janeway is a monster.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

I remember that. Turns out Guy Pearce made them that way.

The crippled war vets are depicted as sadists who gleefully kill and hurt others and revel in their power. They smile when about to kill and enjoy the helplessness of their prey. They're killing people and trying to usurp the US government out of their own free will. There is no attempt to help them, their death is necessary.

This isn't difficult.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The crippled war vets are depicted as sadists who gleefully kill and hurt others and revel in their power. They smile when about to kill and enjoy the helplessness of their prey. They're killing people and trying to usurp the US government out of their own free will. There is no attempt to help them, their death is necessary.

This isn't difficult.

... after Guy Pearce worked them over. Could there be a connection???

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The few interesting parts of the MCU are the oddities, the incomplete thoughts, and the weird implications that are ignored - like how the villains of Iron Man 3 are disabled people, including war veterans injured in the line of duty. They are depicted as evil and inhuman. That Homecoming will apparently feature working-class people whose livelihoods are threatened as despicable villains really pales in comparison to that.

Wait, what? It's worse to make ex-military security contractors villains than working class people in danger of losing their jobs?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So wait are you saying Guy Pearce brainwashed them?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

You know how every time BravestOfTheLamps pops up there are a bunch of people saying "Don't engage!" From experience, I'm telling you there's a reason.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

So in your interpretation Pierce brainwashed them/drove them crazy with Extremis and so they're nor responsible for their actions.

So your argument is that the heroes aren't killing evil disabled war veterans, they're killing insane disabled war veterans.

You do realize that's not any better, right?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Wait, what? It's worse to make ex-military security contractors villains than working class people in danger of losing their jobs?

"Disabled people are evil."

e: Wasn't there a moment in the movie where a character having an amputee daughter shows to the audience that he's working with the villains?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 7, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Disabled people are evil."

Disabled people are still real human beings, so, yes, they are as capable of evil as anyone else.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Steve Yun posted:

Sorry I only understand analogies in car or Star Wars EU

Luuke, although an exact genetic clone of Luke Skywalker who was infused with midiclorians at a level exactly the same as Luke Skywalker, is not actually Luke Skywalker despite being exactly like him both genetically and in the eyes of the force.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I think what Bravest is trying to say is that while the veterans were brainwashed, they still were portrayed as evil monsters with no agency. Bravest is calling out IM3's unintentional implications regarding mental illness. I don't necessarily agree, but that's how I'm interpreting their argument.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 7, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wasn't there a moment in the movie where a character having an amputee daughter shows to the audience that he's working with the villains?

I think she may be in a wheelchair, not an amputee. But, yes, the villain uses his ability to heal injuries to get leverage over people. Nobody will disagree that this makes the villain a bad guy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think she may be in a wheelchair, not an amputee. But, yes, the villain uses his ability to heal injuries to get leverage over people. Nobody will disagree that this makes the villain a bad guy.

I think the procedure is addictive as well, at least the first explodee was coded as an addict when he blew up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
- The henchmen were not brainwashed. They were in on the plan because they felt that they were abandoned by the U.S. Government and needed access to a constant supply of Extremis from Killian to cure their wounds. They do say that the Extremis is basically like hyper-adrenaline in high doses and makes people more aggressive, though.

- The henchmen do not know about the exploding part when they sign up.

- The Extremis that Killian developed is not stable. They need more and more of the serum to maintain and it is addictive. Killian says that 90% of the people who use it end up exploding because they can't stop and either overdose or develop a tolerance that is so high that a standard dose will make them explode.

- Once people become addicts or non-functional, Killian uses their addiction to make them into a bomb (come to x location and I'll give you your fix) that can't be traced because he needs the U.S. to send out Iron Patriot to a location that he fakes so he can steal the suit.

- The VP is in on this plan because he has a disabled daughter and he resents the President.

- Killian's whole motif is deception / false promises.

(He looks like a movie star after his previous look, he was deceived by Tony in 1999 after he promised to meet him on the roof, he tricks the world about the terrorist attacks, "I am the Mandarin," he deceives the soldiers about the nature of their treatment, he plays into their feeling that they were deceived by the U.S. Government and made a false promise about being treated for their service, tells the VP that he can cure his daughter even though he hasn't perfected the serum yet, and he covers up his tattoo.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 7, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Equeen posted:

I think what Bravest is trying to say is that while the veterans were brainwashed, they still were portrayed as evil monsters with no agency. Bravest is calling out IM3's unintentional implications regarding mental illness. I don't necessarily agree, but that's how I'm interpreting their argument.

Yeah, picking at these odd ends of the MCU is really the only way to stay sane after a while. Like with IM3 you can also note that it's a legit Truther movie.

Grendels Dad posted:

I think the procedure is addictive as well, at least the first explodee was coded as an addict when he blew up.

Now you're dragging drug addicts into this. Does your shamelessness know no bounds?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

At least for me, there being a person on the meds who wasn't one of Killian's soldiers, who appeared to just be a homeless man or something, makes the ones who signed up to run around murdering people a lot less sympathetic.

That said, I certainly appreciate that the MCU's willingness to slaughter armies of soldiers without thought is a troubling through-line.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Now you're dragging drug addicts into this. Does your shamelessness know no bounds?

Homeless, pretty sure they're homeless too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The one big oddity in the MCU that sticks out to me is the character arc of Peter Quill, Star-Lord. He starts out as a self-centred manchild living out the fantasy of being a space adventurer, gets mocked for his pretensions... and the universe arranges it so that he gets to be a real space hero without any change or real sacrifice on his part. It's framed as a vindication of his fantasy, and that he goes around with his childhood nickname as his superhero identity presented as a heart-warming development. It's really bizarre development, and it makes the generally adequate GotG interesting, if not in a good way.

It turns out his dad is Kurt Russell. Of course the Universe is going arrange things to work out for him.

Grendels Dad posted:

Can't watch the clip as I'm on my phone, but I don't remember anything from the movie that demonizes crippled vets more than, say, the Universal Soldiers movies do. Would you say JCVD or Dolph Lundgren are evil in those?

It's been a super, super long time since I watched any of those movies, but I'm pretty sure that, yes, Dolph Lundgren is evil as hell in those.

I mean the evil government/corporate entity that makes the zombie soldier drones is more evil, but Dolph is still pretty evil on his own.

hiddenriverninja posted:

i looked up this episode and, wow, Janeway is a monster.

That's the take away of any episode of Voyager, no need to look up a specific one, silly.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Civil War is interesting
:confused:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cute

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's the thing, though.

We always did Canadians and even helped turn Vancouver into a big filming spot. Then we had our House M.D. phase where British people were playing Americans.

Why the switch to the Aussie's in the last 5 years or so?

Did the poor Canadians snub Hollywood somehow?

last page and all but actually Canada did "snub" Hollywood in a way. A lot of our provincial governments decided to do away with their film tax credits and as a result a lot of film companies decided to take their location shooting to cheaper venues. I don't know what this means for actual Canadian acting talent but since they're not filming in as many of our cities anymore that would probably make it a little more difficult for your average Canadian to get noticed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

well why not posted:

Goddamn people are forigving of the MCU. Every week someone finds a new way to be overly generous with praise towards these downright stupid, ugly warmongering films.

It's a 'focused character' piece, the same way Winter Soldier is a 'political thriller' and Taco Bell is Mexican food. It has a few of the trappings but is such a clear imitation.

Most 'focused character piece' movies don't include Paul Rudd growing eightfold in size and throwing a truck. It's an action movie with a few moments of (badly handled) character work.

I've enjoyed the hell out of all of them. Just because they don't run to your taste doesn't mean that they're not appreciated.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Heresy! Destroy it!

*gets beaten up by Russel Crowe*

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Aces High posted:

last page and all but actually Canada did "snub" Hollywood in a way. A lot of our provincial governments decided to do away with their film tax credits and as a result a lot of film companies decided to take their location shooting to cheaper venues. I don't know what this means for actual Canadian acting talent but since they're not filming in as many of our cities anymore that would probably make it a little more difficult for your average Canadian to get noticed.
Does this mean that it's finally okay to not be super in love with Denis Villeneuve

Give that hyper competent fucker a comic book movie franchise so he finally understands why he's the new Nolan

xavier dolan's Arrival would've been better anyways

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Does this mean that it's finally okay to not be super in love with Denis Villeneuve

Give that hyper competent fucker a comic book movie franchise so he finally understands why he's the new Nolan

xavier dolan's Arrival would've been better anyways

Xavier Dolan? Good god.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Xavier Dolan? Good god.
sorry he's the only other Canadian director I can name
other than David and Son Cronenberg
and The Guy Who Directed Barbarian Invasions but I bet that's not his real name

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Atom Egoyan?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

sorry he's the only other Canadian director I can name
other than David and Son Cronenberg
and The Guy Who Directed Barbarian Invasions but I bet that's not his real name

I don't care if you don't like Villenueve, but claiming that Xavier Dolan is better is obvious foolishness.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Guys,Guys.........

Man of steel is boring

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't care if you don't like Villenueve, but claiming that Xavier Dolan is better is obvious foolishness.
that's fair. I don't hate or dislike him or anything, he's never made a bad movie, made plenty solid movies, I just don't get why he's being crowned and handed every franchise right now. he's fine. nothing he's ever done has blown me away. and I like being blown.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wronk.

To the guy above you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Punkin Spunkin posted:

and I like being blown.